Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#4 7 years ago

A 1/4 glass of Marker's or Eagle Rare and a cube of ice makes the world go round. Haven't bothered with any special release stuff, should pick a few up though since it pretty much never goes bad.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone drink the stuff straight like it was intended?
    Bourbon drinking, collecting, hunting can be just as addictive and pinball; fair warning.
    The main things people seem to be hunting/ the bump in bourbon popularity stems from the limited release stuff.
    Pappy of course
    Then all the BTAC (Buffalo Trace Antique collection)
    Plenty of ohters but those are the big ones.
    I also enjoy the age marked Elijah Craig. 12 and 17 year are favorites. Nice nose and woody front end with a smooth hug on the backside.

I never mix it, just one cube of ice, let it breath for a minute or 2 and slowly enjoy. Great for sipping on after a long day at work. I'm more of a wine drinker but every once in a while nothing beats a nice glass of bourbon.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Do you mean for a bottle or by the glass?
    At Spears, adjacent to the Westin in Wheeling, I had a double of something that was close to fifty bucks the other day.

When you order woodford reserve at a restaurant you get screwed everytime. Good bourbon, not that for that price though.

2 years later
    #299 5 years ago

I grew up in the bourbon belt of KY and got pretty spoiled on everything being available. Went back for a weekend trip recently and visited a few distilleries.

Castle & Key is going to be one to watch for down the road. Really cool historic place with the first woman master distiller in the region and she's only 31.

You know you are in Bardstown when the bars have 3 wine choices, 5 beers on tap, and over 100 bourbon choices everywhere you go.

20181116_095107 (resized).jpg20181116_095107 (resized).jpg20181117_100653 (resized).jpg20181117_100653 (resized).jpg20181117_105821 (resized).jpg20181117_105821 (resized).jpg20181117_143548 (resized).jpg20181117_143548 (resized).jpg20181117_111615 (resized).jpg20181117_111615 (resized).jpg20181117_113938 (resized).jpg20181117_113938 (resized).jpg20181117_145715 (resized).jpg20181117_145715 (resized).jpg20181117_145844 (resized).jpg20181117_145844 (resized).jpg

#313 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I kind of chuckle about it now, but less than 10 years ago, I could walk into a number of local places and buy basically any of the BTAC or VW line off the shelf, one bottle at a time, and return a few weeks later for another bottle because it sat, whether it be a combination of people didn't want to spend $60 (at the time) on such plain looking bottles, or people were just drinking tons of flavored vodkas then. Hell, we used to drink orvw10 in college because it was cheaper than Jack or Jim. Sigh.

It all changed when a few distilleries were smart enough to make a collectable product. I know people that have more in bourbon then I do in pinball. They buy 50 bottles plus most years of everything limited that they can find. Most drink about 1/100 of what they collect and are sitting on a few thousand bottles in some cases. Beer has really gotten into the special release small batch market also.

For me Elijah Craig, Four Rose's small batch or single barrel, or willett rowan's creek are all affordable and readily available and 4 of my favorites. So I dont worry much about collecting or special release stuff. I'm lucky enough to be able to try most of them at friends houses without waiting in lines or spending money. I waste enough on wine, got to pick my vices.

#317 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Do you have any EC age stamped down there readily available?
    I cant remember what it was (17, 18, 21?) but I got a bottle a few years back and it was amazing! Been looking ever since for EC age stamped and have not seen anything.

The small batch no longer carries an age stamp. It's a blended 8-12 year bourbon now. Heaven Hill wanted to have more available since the brand exploded and the supply of 12 year barrels is limited. I was pretty pissed when they announced this but honestly I haven't been able to tell a real difference in the taste yet. I assume you are talking about the 18 single barrel EC. It was out of production for almost 3 years but had a large release late 2017. It will have a black line label towards the bottom of the bottle. A few places around here held some cases and have been releasing them periodically through out the year. You can still get them but you may have to pay a premium. I got one from my local store but they had a 1 per person allotment. It really s incredible stuff.

#319 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

18 year is still available. Great value if you intend to drink it

I've seen it several times in KY but not in TN for a bit. I could have just missed it though as the bourbon isles have gotten so huge. I swear there's 6 new labels every time I look.

Whysnow if you are looking for a bottle I can pick one up next week when I'm visiting family in KY. I haven't paid attention to see if the 23 year is available now or not. I'm usually cheap and just buy the small batch (what used to be the 12). But I know I an get the 18 there no problem.

#321 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Up here is has always been rare. The aged EC just isn't up this way ever.

If either of you are able and willing to grab me the age stamped 18 or older then YES PLEASE! Just lmk what I owe you for the bottle and shipping. Assuming it is still affordable on the shelf, I would take a couple bottles since shipping is likey the same for three as it would be for one.
    Lmk and TIA!
    Worth note, we drink ALL the stuff! Nothing for collecting. We let it sit on the shelf, but it all gets drank.

Well affordability kind of went out the window with the last shortage. I think I paid $129 for my bottle when it was released in 2017. I've seen it on shelves in KY still but I believe it was $169.99 or something like that. Happy to grab you one and ship at cost.

#323 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Good drinking bourbon under $200 is a win imo

There's a lot of truth to that. A $200 bottle of bourbon goes a lot further then a $200 bottle of wine. Well unless you are that one cousin of mine that drink's a fifth every night. No kidding a full fifth damn near every night. Been doing that off an on, mostly on, for 35 years. Baffles me how he even functions but he never misses a day of work.

#325 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Agreed. Personally I am way to busy to push through a bottle a day. Maybe once I retire I will sit around and sip all day. Haha

He's more of a get in his truck at work, fill up about 8 ounces in a cup for the drive home, polish off the bottle in the next 2 hrs kind of guy. You will always have a nice rosy nose and cheeks and do a lot of sweating if you go that route. Your waist line will also take an unrepairable hit lol. Good dude with a heart of gold, just has a real drinking problem.

#327 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is a GOOD price!
    Lmk if you really are able to help a guy out. It would be appreciated.

If I can find one I'll grab it for you.

#334 5 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

Do people realize the original Pappy distillery closed in 91 or 92, and the original cooperage no longer supplies the barrels? I believe the company that owns baccardi bought the name and rights. Aka you're paying for an over priced name?

You're paying for a Buffalo Trace premium product. I'm sure it is different then in the 90's. Back then four Rose's was contract distilling their brand in Canada and it was awful. Buffalo Trace selects based on taste and ages accordingly. It's still a premium very good product. Not my favorite or worth the money for me but it's a really good bourbon.

#345 5 years ago

Sipping on one of my favorite cheap bourbons. Made by some really nice people at a small family ran distillery. Willett has a really interesting history and for a cheap bourbon they really deliver.

20181222_115115 (resized).jpg20181222_115115 (resized).jpg
    #358 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I just did a quick google search for the 12yr and I'm not seeing anything near $100 for this...so, is this a case of who you know? I guess I'd say if you can find a bottle of pappy (any age) for under $100, I'd take a bottle.

Last year it was just a matter of being at the right place at release. But 12 year was typically $89. You just had to be lined up an hr or more before the store opened to get it. The older varieties go for $269 or more in some cases. $900 is crazy for a 12 year, it's a solid bourbon but nothing special in my opinion.

1 week later
    #396 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

So what's Pappy 15 year go for on secondary market now? I have a 2018 Dark Lord Day Handjee (beer, not bourbon) that I've been hoping to trade. I think they go for about $450-500, but not sure if that's same range as Pappy 15 or I should lower my expectations.

Pappy 15 year typically goes for a touch more then then what a Handjee does. You can pick up 2018 Handjee for $400 no problem and in some cases $350 or so. The prices always fall before they start going back up. If you hold it for 3 years it should be worth $550-$750. Personally I'd rather have a solid $150 bottle of bourbon and keep the Handjee.

Quoted from aobrien5:

Seriously? I guess I should start going to DLD, seeing as how it's around the corner from me.

It's pretty hard just to get tickets most years. Generally 1 or 2 of the variants end up bringing that type of money but the variants are randomly distributed so you are more likely to get one worth $150 instead. To get tickets you have to be online with multiple systems trying to get through the que. Internet speed is critical.

#401 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Yeah, I hear ya, but I have a hard time opening a beer in that price range knowing I gotta drink it all right away. I'd rather have a comparable-value bourbon that I could enjoy over time. Handjee was great this year, but I prefer the trailmix. And I've never had Pappy 15. Gotta at least see if it's worth the hype if I get a chance.

Gotta to do what's best for you. If you want to trade it for something really good I'd set on it 2 years as it will go up 50% or more. I'm with you on the chemtrailmix, it was great this year, lounge against the machromachine was my favorite for 2018. Lounge, chemtrail, hung, and handgee in that order for my preference.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.