Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boscokid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#549 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Start stockpiling the McKeena 10 year Single Barrel! I miss the old label.

Found this today at a local 'boutique' liquor store for $36, guy said he just got it in and only 3 bottles left. Checked online Total Wine - nada, checked PA Wine&Spirits and it looks like 1 bottle left in the state.

Thought it was fantastic at this price point and will likely go back tomorrow and get those remaining bottles.

#551 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Found this today at a local 'boutique' liquor store for $36, guy said he just got it in and only 3 bottles left. Checked online Total Wine - nada, checked PA Wine&Spirits and it looks like 1 bottle left in the state.
    Thought it was fantastic at this price point and will likely go back tomorrow and get those remaining bottles.

Went back today and got the last bottle. From barrel 5963 12/17/08 curious if people are noticing any variation in quality

#600 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

The winning bottle was from barrel #4976, barreled on April 7, 2008. It's single barrel, so YMMV.
    https://www.breakingbourbon.com/article/one-bourbon-to-rule-them-all

Found a single 4777 in BIL basement storage and just had a friend procure 3 bottles locally of 5531 barrel from 8-4-08. Local price has shifted up to $40.

#603 5 years ago

That's just a white whale in my state. It never hits the shelves.

PA does a residents only lottery where you have to give the credit card to charge to when you submit your entry. That adds a fun wrinkle to using a straw purchaser

#662 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well its a sad day, I drank my last glass out of this bottle.

Quoted from Whysnow:

one of, if not, my favs!

Quoted from swillie:

I never had the chance to taste that one but had heard it was one of the best values in bourbon before they discontinued it.

It's $200+tax around here where it's in stock ($149 at TotalWine but never actually on the shelf) It would have to be pretty flipping good to make anybody's best value list

#692 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

GG, GH, GI have all been very good. From my understanding, anything released up to today, and for the immediate future, should have a significantly larger proportion of 10 year old barrels in the mix. WT101 is currently advertised as a blend of 6-8 year old barrels.

This was a great tip! Picked up some WT101 with the GH date and it definitely exceeds its price point of $28

Random thoughts on these 5 'value' bourbons I picked up and tasted today:

Eagle Rare 10Y - $34 Everything I want in a daily sipper. Might be the next 10Y to go from everywhere to hard to find
    WT101 (GH date) - $28 Cant believe I've been missing out on this. Will be getting plenty more
    Elijah Craig SB - $28 A little harsher than the first two, still a value but no desire to stockpile it

Larceny $23 - Hmmm. Not as good as the first 3 but also a bit cheaper. Reviews seem good for this but not feeling it. Will still drink it but probably reserve it for mixing

Jeffers Creek $16 - Was a trusted store's 'value buy' so I figured "how bad can a 6Y bourbon be" well, it drinks thin and shallow with no warmth and no aftertaste. It's just not good and will likely sit forever before I can pawn it off on somebody. Waste of money

#724 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

So, in recent times, I've begun collecting larger format bottles (1.75L) of bourbon. Considered doing a kind of joke calendar/photo shoot with them for friends and family. So far, besides the usual shelf inhabitants, I've collected a Weller Special Reserve, Old Fitzgerald Prime (rare around here in any size), Woodford Reserve, plus the Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig 12 year pictured above. On the lookout for a Willett Potstill Reserve and 1792. My question is has anyone actually seen other/higher end bourbons in 1.75L? I believe Weller 12 year has a 1.75L, but I've only seen the 750ml in the wild. (I'd pick up a Weller 12 in any size at a reasonable price now in the wild) Any suggestions?

Stateline Liquors in Elkton, MD has a huge bourbon selection and probably 20 different ones available in 1.75L size. They had three 1792 on the shelf today but no Willett

#729 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Made in Delaware. I’m about 10 minutes from the distillery.

I haven't had their Double Troubled but found Painted Stave lacking overall.

Trying to enter the boutique bourbon markets at $36-38 dollar range with an immature 2 year is a non-starter for me. I did tour their facility in Smyrna and met the owners who were friendly, informed and eager but you just cant fake the 6-10Y in a barrel

Their "Off the Hoof" scrapple flavored vodka is disgusting, but I have their "Scarlet" cranberry vodka and it's fine

#730 5 years ago

Did a quick accounting tonight bottles vs open bottles with the following results:

19 bottles of bourbon 12 open 7 sealed
    11 bottle of scotch 11 open 0 sealed
    4 bottles of rye 3 open 1 bottle sealed
    everything else(rum, tequila, cognac, gin, Sambuca, Ouzo, Drambuie etc ) 45 bottles opened 11 sealed

TOTAL open 71 out of 90

Can anybody top 71 currently opened bottles at your home bar? Tallying up sure show the shortcomings I have for tequila (only 2 bottles) and gin (only 2 bottles) Will probably have to take care of that this week

#750 5 years ago

Found Eagle Rare on the shelf locally for $29.99 - guess I am forced to stock up.

Normally $36 around here if you can find it, or $35 at Total Wine which is a joke because its never there.

#766 4 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Any word on WT101 with HA date code or was it just the late G codes?

Good question. I am still seeing GH and GI around here but noticed the high volume seller in Maryland had HB code on the shelf.

1 week later
    #821 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just out of curiosity what does a bottle of the regular George Stagg go for if you can find one?

I went to a local bar last night and they had Stagg for $17/2oz pour - couldn't believe my luck. Had the bartender bring the bottle over to verify it wasn't StaggJr.

They had maybe 25 bourbons but for price compare a few that I remember- Jim Beam $7, ER10Y $10, Knob Creek $11, Angels Envy $14

#830 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Great bourbon. You can add water or an icecube at this proof to mellow it but sip it neat first, so much flavor in this one. Really a bad ass bourbon.

Good price too - that's $80-85 around PA/DE

#848 4 years ago

Found OFC 1993 on the shelf at retail. Any of you Pinside Pimps want a 2.5k bottle of bourbon? Maryland tax will add about $150

#851 4 years ago

Old Forester 1920 is very tasty,actually having it now - it runs $60 here
    Old Grand-Dad 114 has to be one of the best bourbon values out there at $23

#902 4 years ago

This is probably the hottest of hot takes but reading Reddit reviews of Confiscated makes me wonder if lack of age statement and source information are valid concerns.

#922 4 years ago

Gonna get some Maker's cask strength

As of now still making do with Grandnational007 recommendation of WT101 GH code

#932 4 years ago

I grabbed a bottle of Mellow Corn today because it's cheap at $14, 100 proof, BIB and 90% corn mash. The plastic screwtop is there as warning so you know what you are getting.

Initially smelled like rubbing alchohol, then it would die off, swirl glass again and the ethanol whiff was back. Odor was gone completely after about 10mins.

Undeterred, I moved to tasting. Surprisingly not bad at all. Not a deep flavor, light with just
    a bit of burn. Nowhere near the worst whiskies I've had; it feels like a nice change of pace to heavier and way more expensive bourbons and ryes.

#946 4 years ago

C'mon Chad. Rookie move not bringing your own bottle to NYC

#985 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Those are 3 great whiskys, you did good.

yeah - doubtful you will have any complaints with those

#1014 4 years ago

I hate to be Mr Price Tag but there are some good deals and quite a few not so good deals on those shelves:

Deals:
    Rittenhouse Rye looks like $23 - load up
    Sazarac Rye at $31 is about right but its often out of stock in Delaware/PA/MD still performs at or above its price - load up
    Widow Jane $60 that bottle could run 75 or 80 here. i see its on sale but even at regular price i don't buy it. at that price i add to collection - load up ( i have never had this but for this price i would take my chances
    Eagle Rare $33 usually between 30-36 so i would def buy those on the shelf - i would get that bottle if you don't normally see ER10 on shelves
    RRoses SB selling less than $40 -i would take that too!

Bad deals i might still take:
    ECBP probably the best bourbon on the shelf @75$ is easily $10-$15 more than i pay. might still be worth getting if money not a concern

Bad deal i'm def passing on:
    Angels Envy about $10 more than we see around here. i usually pass on their stuff , its good but its probably overpriced everywhere

No values here:
    $20 too much for Old Overholt still see it for $15
    $29 too much for Larceny - generally $23
    $29 too much for BT - usually about 22-23 here

The standards, knob creek, 4 Roses, Woodford, Makers all seem to be priced right around what i would expect

#1015 4 years ago

Would be kinda cool to have one of those use full-sized barrels if you have a good spot for it at your bar or porch. i see one stamped 'Templeton Rye'

#1027 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Went to Woodman's today.[quoted image][quoted image]

2nd pic, lower right hand side Evan Williams single barrel $21 is on the shelf at my local Total Wine for $32
    reviews are mixed between 'best stuff ever!' and 'its ok' but I would be tempted to try it

#1040 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

What are the thoughts on the bird dog? My guy was pushing it pretty hard today.
    [quoted image]

Never had it but I would leave them on the shelf. PA state stores have those on 'sale' for $35 and $20 and they cant move it.

#1065 4 years ago

Never seen Weller on the shelves in DE/PA/MD. Pennsylvania is all state controlled stores and they had Weller Special Reserve as 'online only' for $24.99 plus $7 to ship (within the state to your local store) with a limit of 3 but it sold out immediately

1 week later
    #1105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

Sorry for the confusion. That price is for Blantons. Its approx $20 per bottle over retail. To find it at retail in my area seems very unlikely.

Only you know how much 1k means to you. I don't think a $20 markup is that bad for someone else doing all the legwork. Blantons is about $63 at the absolute cheapest when you find it on the shelf, which is not often. My BIL found it at a boutique liquor store for $70 and happily paid that.

PA got a shipment a couple weeks ago - looked like 600 bottles total and you could watch it online as it hit the shelves in western PA and moved east. Probably 50% sold day 1, 80% day 2, then almost all gone on day 3. By day 4 it was really only available for licensees or random 1 off bottles in rural places too far to drive.

I grabbed two bottles a couple months ago from the West Grove store and the clerk remarked how lucky I was - apparently the same customer would come in and buy all 6 bottles every time their allotment arrived.

#1151 4 years ago

I tend to migrate to vodka and tequila in the summertime. Proud of you guys for..........

R-1693137-1242980185.jpeg (resized).jpgR-1693137-1242980185.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #1185 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

$79.99 for the big boy. Good price?

$69.99 at Kreston's in Wilmington (95 & 202) if you get up this way, or check their Middletown store.

1 month later
    #1437 4 years ago

Woe is you is right if you are drinking that beer. Not enough Stagg jr left in that bottle to wash down 16 Bud Lights

#1441 4 years ago

Went with McKenna tonight, not disappointed.

#1460 4 years ago

Prices in that display case are ridiculous. Looks like OF 1920 is $57.99 which would be cheaper than I see around here

#1469 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I've not seen McKenna at any of the other 9 stores I visit.

I can bring a bottle on Saturday if you want to try it. I have found it (in the last 3 months) at Premier on Limestone Rd $40 and Swigg on 202 for $36. Total Wine on Namaans had it in bulk last year for $32.

No chance I'm spending $100 for McKenna, would get 5 handles of Kentucky Gentleman @ $17 each and spend the change on aspirin and Wawa Sizzlis

1 month later
    #1697 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Picked me up a new one today i've never seen b4 so I guess the 1792 collection is now complete.

I have a 1792 on my shelf labeled 'High Rye' probably rates an 'OK'; have also seen one out there called 'Sweet Wheat' and it was forgettable

1 week later
    #1759 4 years ago

Not sure "too much Blanton's" is a thing.

2 weeks later
    #1855 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

So no bueno on 375’s?

Seems like a decent price if you wanted to try some of the better varieties from Maker's Mark

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Seems a bit pricey for small bottles. Just my opinion though.

At our local Total Wine those 3 bottles in 750ml would run $157 so $70 represents a pretty decent Costco discount.
    Also, no sales tax added in Delaware

1 month later
    #2127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Man, I hate this state. I went to the state store today to get some wine and saw 5 bottles of Henry McKenna. This has been $29.99 for a while. Now it is $49.99. Also, Elmer T Lee was released this week online and sold out in 3 mins. You guys are so lucky to live somewhere where your State is not in the liquor business.

What a bizarre take. I agree PA prices are a couple dollars more than I can find in Delaware or Maryland but...

1. PA has online real-time inventory that is correct every morning
    2. PA has online sales where you can have harder to find stuff shipped to your local store for pickup
    3. PA is one of the few states (in know VA also does this) where residents have an honest lottery chance to score very high end bottles. If you create an account and give your email they will notify you whenever there is a drawing, sign up for all of them and worry about how to pay for the $3000 Pappy package if they pull your name.

As far has McKenna being $50 when it was $30 last year, that extra $20 is probably going to Heaven Hill, not the State of Pennsylvania

3 weeks later
    #2387 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Hey bourbon fans... I am not part of the gift exchange but I thought I would just share this chill video link as a gift to you all. Have been following this amazing musician for over thirty years and am sipping some Elmer T Lee while watching this outdoor concert from a couple weeks ago that was just posted. Check it out with your favorite pour if you have the time and hope you enjoy.

Not bad, listened for about 20 mins, got bored and put on some real bourbon drinking music

1 month later
    #2887 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Closest thing you get to a find around here. Happy to get it for $30

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Never a bad day when you bring home a couple bottles of the Eagle!

That certainly qualifies as a find, I don't think you can do much better for $29.99.

PA seems to get ER by the semi load. Its more difficult to find in Delaware and the price will be higher, even Stateline in MD has moved this to $39.99 and they are competitively priced on almost everything

1 week later
    #2965 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashsmith:

I asked for Bourbon and for once my family listened. No wallets and socks this year..

Is that the four grains mashbill from Revival? I scored a bottle of their Jimmy Red bourbon last year when they bottled it to Le Creuset crockery, it was quite good for an immature bourbon.

1 week later
    #3064 4 years ago

Went to a friend's house for the first game, all scotch - Balvenie 21, Balvenie 15 and Macallan 15 then as a parting gift he gave me a McKenna SB 5531 bottled 8-4-08b that only had 1 pour and he "didnt like the strong taste"

C'est la vie! It's good to have friends!

1 week later
    #3189 4 years ago

Got this as a gift, not sure what to think here.......

On one hand its small batch, single source 100% corn whisky @ 90proof. On the other hand I doubt I would drink the water in Manila.

20200114_163046 (resized).jpg20200114_163046 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #3437 4 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Just went to pick up a bottle of Stagg Jr., and my shop said a group of cars followed the delivery truck store to store today and bought all the allocated bottles of bourbon. What the hell, don't people work anymore?

Don't get discouraged. Tons of good stuff out there that doesn't get the same level of buzz. Gotta stay one step ahead of the Bourbon Hipsters and focus on what tastes good to you and is in your price range.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boscokid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?tu=boscokid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.