Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chisox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

1,113 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Chisox. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #57 7 years ago

My go tos tend to be Four Roses Single Barrel, Breckenridge, Blanton's, Old Weller Antique, Angels Envy, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare....my sweet spot seems to be $30-50. I've had some of the 15 and 20 year bourbons and some 40 year old bourbon in the past and they're great but not worth all the extra $$ in my opinion.

1 year later
    #197 5 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

My current problem. It took me forever to find a bottle, loved it, and have no idea how to get another.

I killed the last of my last bottle of Elmer Sunday night with my brother in law. If you don’t mind paying $100 it’s available on the Facebook bourbon pages. I like it enough to consider it, I haven’t seen it in the wild in a couple years.

1 month later
    #206 5 years ago

Finally got my hands on some Rock Hill Farms. It’s pretty special stuff.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #215 5 years ago

keep running into these, so I keep buying them. Delicious.

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

EHT Single Barrel is harder to come by these days. I'd do the same. What's everyone hunting this year, now that the season is upon us? I'm on the lookout for Weller CYPB and BTAC-though I probably missed the Weller train.

I’m going hunting tomorrow since BT just dropped a bunch of bottles into the Chicago area. I have a lead on CYPB and 12 but I’m not too optimistic. I’ve completely given up on BTAC. Too many flippers are ruining it for the drinkers.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

I'm patiently waiting for the calls from my buddies or my honey holes. My last score (first release EHT Four Grain) from a honey hole, they really came through for me. All about developing relationships and supporting the local guys! Good luck on the bourbon hunt this season to all my pin brethren.
    [quoted image]

That’s quite the score, congrats! The 4G is outstanding.
    Also agree about the local honey hole relationships. Most of the good stuff never even hits the shelves anymore.

1 month later
    #250 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

I got a bottle of IW Harper from my local Binny’s, and I have to admit, not all that impressed. Thought it was really overpriced for an 86 proof bourbon.
    Got my hands on some Weller 12 and Blanton’s, and I like both of those way more.
    And keep watch out at the local liquor stores...Pappy is coming......

I’ve given up of the unicorns like Pappy, WLWeller, Stagg etc. and focus on Blanton’s, Elmer T., W12, Rock Hill Farms and the like. I’ve overpaid trying all the unicorns at restaurants and bars and was underwhelmed for the price. Give me a couple fingers of Elmer T Lee or EH Taylor neat and I’m a happy man.

#254 5 years ago

I agree the flippers have sucked all the fun out of the hunt. I went on a rant with the manager of the local Binny’s and he told me stories of people buying their allocated bourbon in the store and meeting someone in the parking lot and flipping it. They’re currently slashing their VIP/allocation list and lopping off those who pop in looking for the “back room” allocated bourbons and concentrating on the local guys who are there week in and week out. bowz PM me and I can point you-to a local group(Facebook) that has fair secondary prices. Even Blanton’s has become VERY hard to find which was available 5 years ago at my local grocery store for $39.99.

#255 5 years ago

ps this rant was brought to you by...

1 month later
    #268 5 years ago

Basement remodel is finally complete and found a new shelf for my stash. Cheers!

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

During lunch today I was reading up on bourbon and stumbled upon this new bourbon made from Mongolian Oak that is slated to come out any day now. Figured I would share with everyone.
    https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-news/bourbon-news/buffalo-trace-introduces-old-charter-oak-bourbon/#.XA7at2hKiUl

Interesting read. I love alot of bourbon’s that use that BT mash bill #1 (BT, Eagle Rare, Col EH Taylor) so I’ll definitely give it a try.

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

Seriously, no one in the Bourbon club has been on The Bourbon Trail? What about jmountjoy111 ?

Sadly I haven’t but I’ve heard Buffalo Trace is the one MUST distillery to visit from several people who’s opinions I trust. I’ve also heard the Maker’s and Four Roses are good.

1 week later
    #329 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

If you can grab a bottle of George T. For the holidays do it. Amazing taste and 124.5 proof. [quoted image]

The 2018 GTS is probably my favorite they’ve put out and possibly the best bourbon I’ve ever had. I’ll take GTS over all Van Winkles and Pappys all day.

#336 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

GTS has an in your face taste. Great stuff!

I’m sure that’s part of it. Once you get hooked on the higher proof barrel strength stuff even BIB seems a bit thin.

#349 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Been pretty lucky with the Weller lately-got a hookup that saves me a bottle every time it comes in...
    [quoted image]

Nice! Have you cracked that Little Book yet? Haven’t tried it yet.

#359 5 years ago

12 year (lot b) goes for roughly $450-$500 on the secondary market. No thanks.

#376 5 years ago

Special days call for special whiskey. Two of my faves, Merry Christmas.

#377 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Yep. Tried it, and it’s got a bite to it!
    Got one last run in before Xmas, and picked these up...[quoted image]

Is that Binny’s? (That small batch might be the best $40 bourbon out there by the way).

#379 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Nope.
    Kenwood in Homer.
    Pretty sure they’ve got more small batch if you have a chance to run up there.
    Happy Holidays all!!

Cheers! And Merry Christmas! Let’s hang when the dust settles.

1 week later
    #398 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

So what's Pappy 15 year go for on secondary market now? I have a 2018 Dark Lord Day Handjee (beer, not bourbon) that I've been hoping to trade. I think they go for about $450-500, but not sure if that's same range as Pappy 15 or I should lower my expectations.

Pappy 15 goes for between $950-$1,000. The 12 year goes for the range you’re looking at (I have no idea about beer valuations, just going by your numbers).

#402 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Yeah, I hear ya, but I have a hard time opening a beer in that price range knowing I gotta drink it all right away. I'd rather have a comparable-value bourbon that I could enjoy over time. Handjee was great this year, but I prefer the trailmix. And I've never had Pappy 15. Gotta at least see if it's worth the hype if I get a chance.

It’s not, but it’s 10x better than any beer i’ve ever had for sure.

1 week later
    #416 5 years ago

Not sure if this is available everywhere but if you see it, grab it. Plus I wanted to show off the only Christmas gift I got this year. And it’s all I’ve ever wanted. Thanks kids!

6A63B023-2678-4A61-AE5D-940E44216238 (resized).jpeg6A63B023-2678-4A61-AE5D-940E44216238 (resized).jpeg
    #421 5 years ago

This is also pretty damn good. Same profile as Blanton’s/Elmer.

#422 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Technically not a bourbon...BUT that is a damn fine Scotch! (like extremely fine)

So how many of you guys are also Scotch guys? Not a fan myself but know a lot of guys that like both.

3 weeks later
    #446 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Just found this thread!
    Addicted to Booker’s. Need a couple 2019s.
    It’s Nellie approved.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Hey man your taste in bourbon is only outdone by your taste in vinyl. Booker’s is so underrated it’s almost criminal. They have an occasional so-so batch (2018 Kitchen Table) but for being a barrel proof -always available bourbon it’s pretty hard to beat.

#447 5 years ago

I really love this stuff.

#451 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I can tell. That bottle looks empty. (:
    BTW, new basement looks great. Makes me want to have a few and get Dialed In.

Thanks! Yeah we’re pretty happy with the way it turned out. If you’re ever in town, look me up. We can flip, spin some tunes, shoot some guns, and drink some bourbon.

2 weeks later
    #479 5 years ago

Amen on the OGD 114 and the WT 101 as great daily drinkers. There is still some EH Taylor small batch out there for $34.99 which I find to be a great bang for your buck pour.

#482 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Around these parts, you won't see that (if you see it at all) for less than $55-and that's a great deal.

Really? Ouch. I thought MD was state controlled liqour sales?

This is another $34.99 favorite that’s getting to be a bitch to find.

#484 5 years ago

Been waiting for a special occasion to crack this one, Blanton’s straight from the barrel. Got tired of waiting, so cheers!
    Edit: holy crap is this good! bowz you need to try this next time we flip.

#487 5 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Anyone tried eagle rare? Good value for 35-40$

Absolutely. I find it to be really good for the price. Another one that;s getting pretty scarce unfortunately.

1 week later
    #524 5 years ago

Happy St. Paddy’s day weekend. Slainte.

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Well, I’m not Irish, but I’ll honor the holiday by doing what’s right.
    Happy St Pats day!
    [quoted image]

That’s a Bowz pour for sure! Is that a store pick Antique by the way?

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Oh Jeez!
    Worth a little meander from bourbon.
    [quoted image]

That’s my go to rye. Delicious stuff.

#535 5 years ago

Thirsty Thursday.

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Search and search.... can't find anywhere local.
    Might be time for internet!

It’s out there, surprised you can’t find it as I’ve heard Tennessee is much more bourbon rich than KY even.
    It’s worth the search, the last three batches have been phenomenal.

#539 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Stopped at a different liquor store tonight to pick up a bottle of Willett. While browsing the bourbons I stumbled across this one (see pic). Anyone had this bad boy? Worth the price tag?
    [quoted image]
    Then I went to check out, and holy shit a mini of Willett! Never knew![quoted image]

I haven’t had any Few that I cared for in the past. I’d like to support a somewhat local distillery but .... yuck. Blaum Brothers on the other hand...

#540 5 years ago

Have a nice weekend gents. My first pull of Blanton’s Gold.

#547 5 years ago

yup they already increased the price from $32 to $37 over the last 6 months, now it'll be $45 and damn near impossible to find.

#560 5 years ago

Where did you end up finding it Fulltilt ? I had two pours of the 2018 and it might have been the best whiskey I’ve ever had.

#561 5 years ago

Not a fan of the Willett bourbons but they do a damn good rye. Stumbled upon this at Binny’s a couple weeks ago and it’s outstanding.

98BBD325-0174-43AB-BC3A-35DB3FDCD37F (resized).jpeg98BBD325-0174-43AB-BC3A-35DB3FDCD37F (resized).jpeg
    #572 5 years ago

Celebrating a great elite eight with a little WT.

#574 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I was adopted... we could be related..
    Just sayin’
    [quoted image]

At the very worst we could be step -brothers.

6E5D7A0D-48FA-4129-BF10-A44595B02613 (resized).png6E5D7A0D-48FA-4129-BF10-A44595B02613 (resized).png
    #576 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes! Can I play your drums?!

Lol! Went out tonight with my wife on our anniversary to a restaurant that had a great bourbon list (what a coincidence !) and tried the elusive EH Taylor 4 grain. I actually tried it twice. Wow! It’s one of a very few bottles where I scratch my head and think..it’s kinda worth it. Along with the 2018 Stagg and a 2015 Pappy 15yr the best I’ve ever had.

#578 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Where’d you go?

Girl In The Park, 159th and Wolf. Food is pretty good but the bourbon list is the best around.

#605 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Hello?! Can you come right over?
    [quoted image]

Man Fulltilt living large. Stagg and 23 yr PVW? I’m sipping Wild Turkey 101 and acting like I’m all that lol.

#607 5 years ago

I’ve had the 20 but not the 23. Report back on how it is. Either way, cheers my friend and enjoy.

#610 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I’m drinking some Benchmark with Diet Coke. BOOM
    Been trying to find a bottle of Blantons. I think I’ve tracked one down but owner tested me with a bottle of Weller today. Up to $30 for a 1/5. I was paying $15 <1 yr ago from the same store. Ughhhh

Jumping through hoops to score Blanton’s. That’s what it’s come to.

#628 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I paid + $1000 more and am pleased to have found it.

My 50th is coming up and I’m thinking about buying myself a unicorn to celebrate. Lord knows nobody else will haha. Probably a 2018 Stagg.

#632 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

And there's the Venn diagram for bourbon and pinball.

I’m planning on making a ven diagram of pinball and whiskey on my 50th. I’ll be right in the sweet spot and nobody (wife) will be able to do anything about it.

#647 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

Makers. The last of a big bottle a friend bought me for bringing his Air Aces back to life. Blanton’s and Eagle Rare are also favorites. High West or Bulliet Rye, cask strength McCallan, or a Balvenie. Good times....good times.
    [quoted image]

Can I get some info on that light? Cheers!

#648 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Speaking of the old label I was digging through my collection and found this which i probably bought bout 8 or 9yrs ago.
    [quoted image]

Wow that’s the old old label, like 2003 old if memory serves. I may be wrong but it’s definitely at least two label changes ago. Cool.

#651 5 years ago

Not sure if you guys are into the Russell’s Single Barrell store picks but some of them are in the top ten bourbons I’ve had. Russell’s single barrels are notoriously all over the place, but when you get a good one, dayum. I bought this one in a bourbon group that is a store pick from R&J Liquors, wherever that is, and it’s unbelievable.

#671 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Chisox, what’s your toast for Virginia winning this thing?

Cheers! Yeah I had a bit of a rollercoaster night. Good news is I can get any unicorn I want now for my 50th hmmmm..... I’ll be back tomorrow for my toast, I need a couple days to dry out.

#674 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

You know...if I were turning 50 (again).... Never seen one, but I know where you can get one. (:
    [quoted image]

I didn’t win Powerball.

#675 5 years ago

I’m thinking Stagg or maybe an old 1969 dusty like Wild Turkey or Old Fitz.

#678 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Picked up a bottle of Rowan’s Creek based on everyone ranting about it. Very impressed at the price point. Another bottle sitting next to it called Noah’s Mill (I think) for about $15 more. Looked to be made by the same folks based on the bottle and label style. Thoughts?
    Also picked up a 2/18 Bookers for a buddy who did me a solid. $68 felt like a good price and it was the best thing on the shelf IMO.

Rowan’s Creek and Noah’s Mill are indeed both made by Willett. I believe the Noah’s Mill is higher proof. I’ve had Noah’s Mill and it was just ok for me, but I’m also not a huge fan of the Willett bourbons. Their ryes on the other hand are great. Enjoy!

#688 5 years ago

OK I’m back for that toast. Cheers to you guys and the University of Virginia basketball team. It was a great ride.

#709 5 years ago

Pretty stoked to try this guy, never had it. So I just noticed that I have 42 bottles of bourbon and rye open and this will be my 43rd. Anybody else have a shit ton open or do you guys just open one and drink until it’s gone? I think I may have BASS-bourbon acquisition syndrome sickness.

#711 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

The new "more politically correct" (ie. - DSM 5) listing should be: Bourbon Use Disorder, recurrent. ICD-10: F112.5
    I'm planning to find my new "Bourbon Cabinet".

My apologies. I’m waiting for McIntosh to come out with a bourbon cabinet myself.

#715 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Not really a fan of this one. Might be something to do with not have an ice cube.. too lazy to go looking for the hotel ice maker.
    [quoted image]

#716 5 years ago

The Old Ezra was just ok, kind of a letdown. This on the other hand might be the whiskey I grab the most. Easily found, 115 proof so it’s perfect neat, and just so damn delicious.

#757 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Sweet! I haven't had the four year rye, (yet) but I feel that the Willett Family Reserve (bourbon or rye) line is something that should be bought on sight! Price being "reasonable".

Any Willet rye 4 years and older is great as far as I’m concerned.

#758 5 years ago

Happy thirsty Thursday all.

#763 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

gents, I had a good friend that did me a real solid favor. I'd like to pay him back with at least 2 bottles of bourbon. I roped him into Weller a few years back but it's pricing has just gotten stupid - see lots of previous rants...
    I picked up a bottle of Bookers (2/18 date) and I'd like to add something else to the mix. I was thinking maybe Noah's Mill? Price point I'm looking for is $50-65ish true retail (not 2ndary or shaddy liquor store markup). I've been really enjoying the Rowans Creek so I'd expect the Noah's Mill to be even better? I don't dabble much at the $50+ level so I'm looking for some advice on things are readily available (yes Eagle Rare is awesome and so is Blanton's but I need something I can pick-up at a decent liquor store) I was looking at a bottle of the Makers Private Select or Makers 46?

Quoted from vaevictis:

I would recommend Col EH Taylor, a Four Roses Single Barrel (possible store pick?), one the various 1792 variants (Full Proof, Port Finish, etc), Issac Bowman, or Pure Kentucky XO. Pure Kentucky pricing, like some of my other suggestions, is all over the place-I'm just a sucker for the 107 proof. Not sure what the market in your area is at-but Elijah Craig Barrel Proof might be at the high end of your price point, if you can find it for retail. *Probably lying to myself, as I haven't seen it at retail in two years. Also considering you mentioned Weller, try finding a bottle of the Rebel Yell 10 year. Not Weller, but a wheater with an age statement at a "decent" value. Good luck with the hunt.

I agree with all recommended above. Also, Maker’s Mark Cask Strength is outstanding. Also, don’t sleep on the Wild Turkey offerings-Rare Breed and Russell’s Single Barrel and to a lesser extent the 10 year. Since evrything Buffalo Trace offers is being Hoovered up by everyone, I’ve been loving the Wild Turkey products without having to hunt at all.

#764 5 years ago

^^^^^^

E567E71A-D699-49E3-A268-E159D7988743 (resized).jpegE567E71A-D699-49E3-A268-E159D7988743 (resized).jpeg
    #770 5 years ago

Sad toast tonight as I lost one my best friends Friday night. Here’s to you Danny,

#773 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Sorry for your loss man

Thank you.

#784 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I don't know about... but if it were me.. I'd grab the Pappy first.
    [quoted image]

Ahhh so all those nice guns you own are to keep theives away from your Pappy and your McIntosh? It all makes sense now

#787 4 years ago

Happy whiskey wednesday

#800 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

moderator request**
    lets stay on track with this thread please. pinball and bourbon.
    **I am not a moderator, but did start the thread
    this is one of my favorites currently. Much better than most places rate it IMHO.[quoted image]

Coolest bottle out there, totally keeping mine for a decanter when it’s gone, which is soon. Decent pour but I wished it was proofed higher.. I know it’s a 15 year, but $85 for an 86 proofer is a bit silly.

#801 4 years ago

My buddy’s wake is tomorrow, I think I’m gonna hang out in this thread for a while with this bottle.

#803 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Sorry again for the loss. Preparing a toast to Danny.

Thanks @fulltilt. I don’t want to be Dougie downer, so here’s to hair metal! (That Danny loved by the way lol!)

#807 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry about your buddy.
    make it a double tonight.
    cheers

Thanks Hilton, I will.

#808 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Well here’s one for Danny over in the vinyl lovers thread. (Trying to stay on topic here).
    It’s what good bourbon was made for.
    The hair metalist. (:
    [quoted image]

You may need to re-up on that GTS, it’s going quick! I almost want to turn 50 so I can crack a bottle of that 2018 open.

#810 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Shhhhiiiittt... the Pappy is next. Too much oak and all. LOL!
    Stop, that’s the Stagg talkin.

Don’t you dare! That’s reserved for my birthday, put it away. Now for some rye...

#812 4 years ago

Thanks. How is that stuff? I’ve been intrigued by the Japanese whiskey, but have never tried it.

1 week later
    #854 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Got this one from Costco today.
    They had a ton of that Elijah Craig small batch.
    [quoted image]

EC small batch is fine but you made the right choice x1000. 1920 drinks like a $100 bottle.

#859 4 years ago

Nectar of the gods. One of the GOATS for me.

F5CBECD5-36DF-4112-B96D-DD78F1516407 (resized).jpegF5CBECD5-36DF-4112-B96D-DD78F1516407 (resized).jpeg

#899 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Generally I stay away from the lock up cases but since it was a place I've never been too I went in for a sneak peak.

You cracking that Confiscated tonight? I’d be interested in your thoughts since my Binny’s also has a few and I really like Kentucky Owl’s whiskeys.

#907 4 years ago

I’ve heard mixed reviews on this one so that made me want it more., Bottoms up.

#908 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Had to test old favorite (right) is against new favorite (left).
    [quoted image]
    I will admit... Makers was an early favorite and I have not gone back to it since. Old Forester 1920 is my current favorite.

I think 1920 is everybody's current favorite....mine included. Shit is out of sight.

#912 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Never heard of that one how is it?

It’s pretty good. Very young (4 year age stated) but it doesn’t taste it to me and that’s the biggest complaint I’ve heard about it. If they aged it 4 or 5 more years it would probably be amazing.

#914 4 years ago

Quoted from DBLM:I know that this will bring out the flames but I bought a bottle of Stagg Jr 127 proof last night (59 bucks) and I think it is severely over rated. It has heat (alcohol) with no flavor and I put it way behind Bookers for similar proof. It is similar to a lot of recent bottles (Kentucky Owl, Whistle Pig V, etc) that I think are severely over ranked. The last good bottle I bought was the Knob Creek 25th.

No flames thrown here. We all have different tastes and I’ll never bash another person’s opinion. That batch 11 Stagg Jr. is really great though

#919 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I tried it again today and did have a better opinion on it. I don’t know if I would buy it again but it definitely was not as bad as I recalled when I posted.
    Looking forward to trying this. My local store had some made up for them and they got to pick out the staves used to age this. Could be something to it or just marketing, but at 111 proof I thought I would pick up a bottle. Will let everybody know how it is.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I like the Maker’s Private Select picks I’ve had. I also think their Barrel Strength is excellent and criminally overlooked when people are looking for higher proofed wheaters.

#935 4 years ago

This whiskey Wednesday came courtesy of @bowz. Still can’t believe you gave this to me.

#939 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

What cards are you holding?

People like me, what can I say? He’s a great guy that loves his bourbon. His pins are pretty nice too

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just curious about everyone elses drinking habits. When you sit down to have a few drinks do you stick to the same bottle for them all or do you grab separate bottles? I typically find myself having 1 or 2 of one thing then switching to another bottle for another drink. Ah hell who am I kidding then I switch to another bottle after that for another drink

I have 45 bottles open so I bounce from one to the other. If I open something special with friends we’ll sit and drink a whole bottle but for the most part I like variety. I also like alternating rye and bourbon, low proof and barrel proof.

#952 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Oh my god was that stuff terrible tasting. Least favorite bourbon I’ve ever had.
    As far as giving it away-you did bring over a bottle of McKenna, so I do feel like I was the winner....
    And We’re still good for a week from today.

I’ll be in Florida.

#956 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:Ok F it i'm starting it now it's post some nasty ass crap bottle night. This crap I bought on a whim and wish I could have my money back! What you guys got to rag on?
    [quoted image]

Not a fan of the aforementioned Hudson line. Or any Willet bourbon for the most part. Their ryes are fucking amazing which always throws me for a loop. I also want to rag on the St Louis Blues and the refs for giving the game away the other night and costing me money.

#958 4 years ago

This double oaked gem is really good. Brown sugar with some nice wood (that’s what she said). Not quite up to the 1920 but it’s a good buy if you can find it.

#960 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

How many different 1xxx does Old Forester have? I got 1920, here is 1910, I thought I saw a 18xx here too.

I know they have the original 1870 (good), the 1897 bottled in bond (tasty), 1910 and 1920(outstanding) They also have the Statesman which was pretty good. I think there’s a couple more too. And their new rye is fantastic for $25. They’re on a roll.

#962 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

So is it safe to assume that of I find a bottle of Old Forester anything that I should buy it?

Yes. There was one that I had that was just ok...this was years ago, but OF along with Four Roses are pretty much can’t miss for me.

#1008 4 years ago

EC Barrel Proof is the prize in my eyes. Widow Jane 10 is pretty good. Of course 4R Single Barrel is always good.

#1031 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

so I scanned this picture and realized they have a lazy stock boy so the EH taylor is hiding. I saw something next to the buffalo trace. Can't say I've heard/drank it.
    [quoted image]
    Bookers for $76 (hiding in the top left of pic 1) is a great price down here.
    I see some Old forester that keeps getting discussed on here but, I've never tried it to comment.

That’s Old Ezra 7 year and would be the first thing I’d grab off these shelves. It’s damn good. I’d also grab a bottle of that WT Rare Breed because I love Wild Turkey products.

#1033 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

My first Sam Houston. Think I'll have another drink.
    [quoted image]

How do you like that @fulltilt ? I think my Binny’s has it but I’ve never tried it.

#1034 4 years ago

Happy Memorial Day weekend whiskeyheads. Here’s to my vacation that I’ve rescheduled three times! Gulp.

#1058 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Nice little score today from my hook up at my liquor store...[quoted image]

Nice work man! I went there yesterday and these definitely weren’t on the shelf lol.

#1073 4 years ago

I found two on the shelf 2 years ago for $50 each. I bought one and left one for some other lucky bastard. I came back two weeks later and it was still there. Thank you bourbon karma gods. I can’t even tell you the last time I’ve even seen Antique on the shelf outside of some jackass asking $99 for it.

#1074 4 years ago

Time to say goodbye to one of the most disappointing bottles of whiskey I’ve ever bought. Goodbye my average friend.

#1085 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

On the group’s suggestion.
    Sweet!!
    [quoted image]

Love it. I have 3 at all times as it’s the bottle that gets poured most in my bar.

#1086 4 years ago

I was planning on taking this whiskey Wednesday off, but then I clicked on this thread. Cheers!

#1089 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Never bought this before. What’s a decent price to pay for this?

$50-$60

#1092 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Scored some of this recently...thoughts?[quoted image]

I just poured a glass. It’s a very solid daily drinker. Not gonna knock your socks off but it’s tasty. Getting hard to find though and when you do the price has gone from $30 to $45.

#1098 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

jaeg It's your money, but please read the [Breaking Bourbon] link and think before dropping that kind of coin. Unless it's from barrel #4976 and was put in oak on April 7, 2008 I would consider alternatives. I just saw the price you listed in your initial post and didn't see that you were considering the deal.

I think he’s maybe talking about the OF 1920? Either way, I wouldn’t. Send me a PM and I’ll send you a bottle at cost +shipping.

#1099 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

A solid bourbon at a great price point from a great family owned distillery. Single barrel with a double digit age statement. The ones I've had were straight forward, no frills bourbon. Solid in a good way. The recent attention and accolades, along with the aforementioned age statement and price point make this more and more difficult for me to find. I think the Breaking Bourbon guys put it best:
    https://www.breakingbourbon.com/article/one-bourbon-to-rule-them-all
    Question for the group-saw someone had the Old Ezra 7 barrel strength at their local store. How does that stack up against these Old Foresters, say the 1920?

The Old Ezra 7 is good but Imuch prefer the 1920. I would put the OE 7 ahead of the 1910 as I’m not a huge fan of double oaked bourbon, although I do like one glass on occasion. The1920 is a very complex whiskey with the perfect amount of heat served neat for at me 115 proof. I’m a huge fan.

#1125 4 years ago

Swipe right.

#1126 4 years ago

If you’re shipping boubon I would use USPS as there’s been some confiscated bottles lately by UPS and Fedex. Lots of bubble wrap and newspaper/peanuts. It’s also advisable to parafilm the horse. Awesome that you’re doing this djreddog for the Blanton’s guys.

#1127 4 years ago

Another one bites the dust. Another so-so bottle that I probably won’t be buying again. Bottle is kickass though.

#1129 4 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I'm not 100% sure but a quick check of the internet says that shipping via USPS isn't allowed. USPS doesn't allow any alcohol shipments. UPS and Fed-Ex have a license to ship alcohol but you're supposed to declare that you're shipping alcohol so they can ensure that the shipment is signed for by an adult. If I were to ship alcohol I would not use USPS.

It’s illegal for individuals to ship alcohol period. Distributors and liquor stores can ship to individuals with a signature on delivery in certain states. My state Illinois is a no shipping state because all the distributors are deep in the politician’s pockets.

#1131 4 years ago

I’m sure i’ve posted this before but all you Blanton’s fans should try this. It’s the same mashbill and distilled at Buffalo Trace. It’s BIB so it’s a bit ballsier than Blanton’s and I think it’s a better whiskey. Just make sure you get the single barrel. It’s about $50.

#1135 4 years ago
    Quoted from middaleman:

That is not true and actually often exactly backwards. It is illegal to ship alcohol via the USPS period. It is often illegal for distributors and liquor stores to ship to individuals (depending on the state), but an individual may ship to another individual via UPS or FedEx. You just can’t make a profit doing it.

I would love to be wrong on this one. But go to a fedex and tell them you’re shipping whiskey to a buddy and I’m not sure they’ll let you. Again, I hope you’re right.

#1150 4 years ago

As a die hard Hawks fan it kills me to say this but...let’s go Blues? Yuck. I picked them to win it all in a pool so I have my reasons. 1600 of them actually and that would get me a lot of great bourbon. Or maybe a decent early solid state pin.

#1152 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I tend to migrate to vodka and tequila in the summertime. Proud of you guys for..........[quoted image]

I like vodka and tequila on occasion too but I’m the guy sitting in 100 degree heat by the pool drinking whiskey neat like a sociopath. I get a lot of looks in Florida haha.

#1153 4 years ago

Thank you St Louis Blues! Cheers! Now fuck off, I hate you again.

#1155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Shit... you gonna’ make me open the bottle

Stagg? Maybe a nip off the Boss Hog. And let’s get cracking on that bar! You deserve it.

#1163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

I found Whistle Pig on the shelf for the first time. 10yr $85 and 12yr $125. Is this average pricing? There was only one of the 12yr.

A little high but not too bad. I’m a fan but Pikesville Rye at $50 is a gem. Also the newly released Old Forester Rye for $20 might be the best bang for your buck whiskey out there. It’s really good.

#1164 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

We give and we give and we get nothing in return. Wheres the love?[quoted image]

Congrats man but I’m hardwired to hate the Blues and Red Wings.

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Here's a prime example of the horseshit price gouging that goes on around here. The Rock Hill Farms which is amazing is $199 and the jackass wants $125 for the bottle of Blantons right nxt to it.[quoted image]

Also, not downvoting you I’m downvoting those prices.

#1170 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Pinside isn't just for pinball. It's showing me the trials and tribulations that some of us face here stateside, yet also the horn of plenty others have. If you ever think you got it bad in the bourbon department, talk to an Australian. I'm still trying to source that Blanton's Straight From the Barrel, one day...one day! Jealous of you that have it, thankful for what I have. Happy National Bourbon Day/Flag Day to those in the USA, cheers to everyone else.

Happy b-day indeed cheers! I tried my buddies Blanton’s STFB and absolutely had to get some. I had a French guy from the bourbon pages that I’d dealt with in the past send me a bottle. If you like Blanton’s you need to try it as the full proof is the definitive version. Good luck man. it’s worth it,

#1175 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

It gets a thumbs up.
    [quoted image]

I’ve had beer finsihed in bourbon barrels but what does bourbon finished in beer barrels taste like? I’m intrigued.

#1187 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Going to pickup cookout supplies for tomorrow. BBQ Chicken, 'tater salad and cole slaw.
    Intuition to stop by the store across the street....
    The grocery run got more expensive!
    [quoted image]

Thanks Fulltilt . I’ll be over with the ribeyes at 5:00. That batch 11 Stagg Jr is great too, nice score.

#1192 4 years ago
    Quoted from trudert9:

How is the wild turkey rare breed compared to 101? I just picked up a bottle of rare breed for the first time.

If you like the Wild Turkey funk (which I do) you’ll really like Rare Breed. It’s obviously proofed higher at 115 or so but still has the same earthy herbal funk that makes WT so great. I still prefer Russell’s Reserve 10 yr SiB, but for $49 for a barrel proof bourbon it’s pretty tough to beat.

#1204 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Fun ? Of the night. My low to mid $30s go to has been Eagle Rare or more recently Rowan’s Creek. What else does the group have to suggest? Been reading decent things about Jim Beam black
    Comments?

For < $35? WT 101, Old Grandad 114, Buffalo Trace, and my Binny’s has been blowing out Maker’s Cask Strength for $35 for a couple months which is a steal.

#1206 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

How are these prices?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Laughable. Secondary pricing + 40-70%.

#1210 4 years ago

Let’s go Sox!

#1212 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I almost forgot the pinball part of this forum.
    A little game. Guess that bottle. Hint: &lt;$50
    [quoted image]

Is it Smooth Ambler Contradiction?

#1217 4 years ago

I was gonna guess that too but it looks like a label and ER is printed directly on the bottle.

#1219 4 years ago

Oh for fuck sake. That’s the back label I’m seeing.

#1222 4 years ago

Looks like you’re doing some damage on that 1920 @fulltilt. Good stuff yes?

#1238 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I just saw this at one of the places I stop at and I've never seen it before but I am a big fan of the 1792 brand in general has anybody ever had this one or can recommend it? I have the regular and the single barrel and I really enjoy the barrel proof version as well so I'm sure I wouldn't be let down but here lately I bought a couple of real dogs and I hate nothing more than blowing 60 or 70 bucks on a bottle of piss.[quoted image]

The BIB is good. The Full Proof is better IMO. If you like the 1792 profile then I say go for it. I like the BIB more than the single barrel.

#1264 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Added a new one to the cabinet today. I have to say that so far I like it. (Yes, it’s after 5..)
    [quoted image]

I’ve been hunting for one of those as I’ve heard it’s really good. I have 3 (batch 11,15,17 I think?) and really like their stuff. Another really good fairly readily available bourbon.

#1273 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

We miss you on the vinyl project club. (:

Yeah I know. Most of my vinyling is done on the weekends and I’ve been trying to spend as much time as I can outdoors (especially at lake houses) as I love the summertime. I’ve also tried to cut down my weeknight whiskey consumption and we both know how whiskey and vinyl together are one of God’s gifts to man.

#1274 4 years ago

That being said I have a bottle of Knob Creek 14 yr that I’ve been eying all week....

#1277 4 years ago

Getting my tackle together, sounds like a good time for a drink.

#1284 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Another good day hunting down bourbon in the wild, although that Weller antique jumped from $25 to $50.
    Still waiting on that Weller Full proof to drop.[quoted image]

Damn dude you’re killing it finding the Elmer.

#1349 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Guys, what is your go-to Rye? I have been drinking the Bullet Rye and really like the taste. I have been a wheater but have started to get into Rye because of Old Fashions. Then from Olf Fashions to straight Rye. I can't get anything rare here in PA but what are your favs of the easy to find brands?

Whistle Pig 10 yr is really good but probably not worth the $80-$90. Pikesville is wonderful and fairly easy to find and worth every penny at $50. Wild Turkey 101 rye is pretty good $30. Sazerac (baby Saz) is good, around $30. The best value for me is Old Forester Rye which is an insane buy at $20. The Pikesville and Sazerac drink closer to bourbons if you're a bourbon guy trying to get into ryes.

#1351 4 years ago

Nice! me too.

#1353 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

What are your thoughts on Rittenhouse Rye? I can pick this up for $26.

It’s quite tasty and a good buy for $25. It’s more bourbon-like rather than an in your face rye due to a lot of corn in the mashbill. Pikesville is a 7 yr old Rittenhouse if I remember correctly.

#1366 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Today’s pickups. Completely shocked to find the Blantons. I haven’t found a bottle in 2 years and I have gotten on 2 in 1 week.
    Believe me I need it - no formal announcements but let’s talk in 9 months.[quoted image]

It’s ridiculous. All those years of taking Blanton’s for granted. What are the specs on the wheel gun?

#1367 4 years ago

She’s a beaut.

#1369 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can we please keep the guns to the gun thread. This is the bourbon and pinball thread.
    Congrats on the blantons

Never!

#1376 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

That's one of those a-SALT guns isn't it? Hope everyone in the bourbon thread is doing well. I'm going to have to crack open something nice soon.

It is and they’re well worth the money.

#1377 4 years ago

Wow I’m really impressed with these guys. They have the balls to release a 4 year old single barrel bourbon that they distilled themselves that is fantastic. Now they release this 4 yr rye that is outstanding too. I’m starting to bunker these as I think they’re going to start disappearing.

#1379 4 years ago

Barrel batch #20 is a winner as well. Now if I could just get my hands on a bottle of the new Blaum Bros. 12 year.

#1399 4 years ago

This was a Christmas gift from my kids a couple years ago. I was an ASS man until my wife pointed out that it was pretty trashy with all our guests (and their little kids) coming over to play. She also pointed out that I’m 49 going on 12.

#1411 4 years ago

This week sucked. Cheers! This is a barrel pick that a local FB group bought. If you’re into bourbon. your local FB groups are a godsend. Lots of info/trading/selling going on.

#1413 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Hit that’s Pig Whistle!

That first glencairn was one and done. Need to sip the next one.

#1415 4 years ago

Haha I wish. I actually put #2 down in two gulps. Haven’t really eaten today so this should be a fun night.

#1428 4 years ago

Grabbed a couple of new bottles yesterday. The WB Saffell might be the best new bourbon I’ve had in a long while. It’s got Wild Turkey heritage and a variation of their mash bill, which is right up my alley. It’s like a proofed up, more refined Rare Breed. F-ing outstanding and I’m going to grab the rest of it tomorrow. The Wilderness Trail was kind of letdown. It has just been released up here this week for the first time and I had read good things about it but It kinda fell flat for me and I usually like wheaters. Maybe it was because I had the Saffell first. I’ll give it another go next weekend. Or whiskey Wednesday.

#1431 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Looks like you killed that bottle of saffell so it must have been good. I havent seen that one down around these parts but will definitely keep my eye out for it. Who makes it and what price does it get?

Ah I meant to note the cost. So these are sold as 375ml half bottles. I believe the cost was $45 which is quite high. If it was $50 for a full bottle, I would horde the shit out of it. It’s distilled byWild Turkey and barrelled and bottled elsewhere. Fuck it, I’m pouring 1 more. Weekend’s not over yet right?

#1463 4 years ago

I can’t make out the prices, but my choices would be: Prices in parentheses are where they should cost.

John Bowman single barrel (Around $50)
    Belle Meade Cask Strength ($65)
    Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye ($60)
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed ($40)
    Old Forrester 1920 ($55)

#1477 4 years ago

Got lucky and stumbled on these at a liquor store by the train station today. Donating the W12 and Elmer to a buddies charity auction and drinking the shit out of the Knob Creek Rye LE.

#1480 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Also, never had Knob Creek rye in any proof but love me some rye so my hiatus on buying whisky may be over.

The Limited Edition Cask Strength Rye 9 yr is awesome. The barrelled in 2010 (2019 batch)is out now and is somewhat “easy” to find. This is last year’s batch that I thought was all gone that the guy was selling $20 under retail just to get rid of it.

#1482 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Son of a bitch you are living in the land of Weller12 up there. Apparently it just flows from the water taps and is plentiful. I haven't even seen that bottle at any of the places I stop in at.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve seen it. I was stunned when I saw it sitting there next to the Elmer and Blanton’s. I went in to grab some beer ironically and just glanced over to the bourbon section walking by. Funny thing is I got home and realized I’d forgotten the beer.

#1502 4 years ago

Man, every time I have this I’m more impressed than the last. Tastes like a bullseye, caramel and vanilla for days. So good.

#1507 4 years ago

Decided to take a Wednesday off! So let’s celebrate with some......$2200 Old Forester Rye! Wait. I mean $22.

#1508 4 years ago

3,2,1...happy Whiskey Wednesday everybody! Blanton’s straight from the barrel.

#1525 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well this is pinball and bourbon right?[quoted image]

Whitewater and Rock Hill are a hell of a combo. Very nice.

#1526 4 years ago

Cheers! Happy Friday all. I need some KC and pinball after going to the Sox game tonight.

#1528 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Lol!! Always good to have comforting items at home.

Semi-cold Modelo and bad baseball make me long for my basement and bourbon haha.

#1530 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

And probably $10 semi cold Modelo at that. (:
    A couple Bud tall-boys, a chili dog and nachos makes them play better baseball.

Yup $10.25. At least I got to spend time with my daughter. She bought the tickets for me for Father’s Day.

#1539 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Thursday. About to reach the Rally Point!
    [quoted image]

Good luck my friend! I have family coming to town tomorrow and am going on vacation next week so a preemptive wish for your speedy recovery. Cheers!

1 week later
    #1572 4 years ago

So I was given this as a gift last weekend.

#1574 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I’m a com’in. I need a refill. (:

Come on up. How you feeling man? Been out of the loop for a while.

#1578 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Can you introduce me to this person cause I need friends like that

I took my niece with us on our vacation and this is what my sister and bro in law gave me. I’m still stunned.

#1581 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

For the pleasure of spending quality time with your niece you were given a Stagg. Slow clap from me dude, that is awesome.

Haha...No shit! She’s my teenage daughter’s closest friend so it kept me from getting the eye roll treatment all week. Aaand I got a bottle of Stagg out of it.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

They must have had a good time in the interim. (:

This must be the reason!

#1593 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody have an opinion on this?[quoted image]

I have that batch but haven’t cracked it yet. I have had most of the previous batches and they’re all terrific.
    $65 is a steal for that bottle.

#1604 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Picked up a few things on my recent trip to Kentucky. Tried to (mostly) buy things that aren't available around me (like Ale-8!). (And the handles of WT101 were $33--how could I say no?)
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Some nice bottles there. Where did you find the Makers 101? I thought that was an export only.

#1606 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Got that here on the shelves along with the cask strength.

Really? Hmmm...never seen it here, I must be mistaken.

#1612 4 years ago

Overpriced? You bet your ass. You only live once. And because I love Wild Turkey.

#1620 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Haven't seen that one yet. Are you saving it for a rainy day or did you crack her open and take her for a test drive?

Put it in the bunker for a special occasion.

#1621 4 years ago

Been milking this guy for over a year. Solid. 131 proof piece of caramel.

#1639 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Picked this up on Pinside recommendation... that could be a HUGE mistake..... LOL!
    [quoted image]

I like their stuff, even though it’s probably overpriced. I’ve ripped through 3 bottles of the rye over the past couple of years and really enjoyed them. Cheers.

#1648 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Well yolo as the kids say, went to a tiny store walking distance from home and bought these. Sonoma Bourbon is my favorite drink so had to restock on that, and decided to give some cask strength stuff a try. Sonoma Bourbon was $40, Stagg Jr was $90 (ouch) and Elijah Craig was $100 (ouch again). Definitely splurge booze but wanted to try it.
    Have to say the Elijah is glorious, the "intense" definition of its flavor is quite correct, like this one! The regular 94 proof is a better bang for the buck and is plenty good, but this one does take it up to that other notch.
    The Stagg Jr, hmm, I'm not sure. It's no where as intense as the EJ and has quite a different flavor from anything I've tried. Palettes change so I'll see if I grow into this one over time, right now I'm kinda so/so on it but always happy to try new stuff.
    The store told me they select their own barrels of cask strength Old Forrester and Whistle Pig, I'll pass on the pig because I'm not into high rye but I'll give the Old Forrester a chance at some point when they get them.[quoted image]

Welcome to barrel strength bourbon! Once you get a taste for it, nothing under 110 proof will satisfy you anymore. I’m only kind of kidding. That’s batch 11 from Stagg Jr. which I found benefitted from a couple weeks of decanting. I’ve had many debates regarding Stagg Jr./EC BP and people tend to have a strong preference of one over the other. Those prices are a tick high but as you said YOLO. Enjoy.

#1660 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

A couple of fun finds today. Didn't mean to buy anything but I couldn't help it!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Is that a 2013 Dickel Single Barrel store pick? Interesting find indeed.

#1673 4 years ago

Happy weekend all. Cheers.

#1674 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Just poured 4 fingers of EC BP. It tastes so good!

4 fingers! My kind of pour. Enjoy, it’s good stuff.

#1676 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Wait. Aren’t you only 53.5% sure?

Well played sir.

#1680 4 years ago

Dropped my oldest off at school in Ohio today and stopped at a liquor store in Indiana on the way home on a hunch. 4 Roses single barrel cask strength store pick.

#1681 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Costco has this for like $70. Any good?[quoted image]

I haven’t tried it but know people that really like it. I’ve had mixed opinions on High West over the years. So basically, I’m no help haha. If you try it, please let us know your thoughts.

#1683 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Yeah man thats good stuff and it is getting really hard to come by also. Nice score!

Thanks. The only thing is they (4 Roses) raised the prices of the store picked barrels so they’re $70-$75. Still worth it but they were $49 just a couple years ago. I can’t wait for everyone to go back to vodka. We’ll have some really nice stuff coming in a few years due to everyone ramping up production to cash in on the bourbon wave.

That BIB 1792 is good stuff and also getting really hard to find.

#1686 4 years ago

New Binny’s store picks released this weekend. My poor wallet (and liver).

#1689 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

New Binny’s store picks released this weekend. My poor wallet (and liver).[quoted image]

Wow! This pick is unbelievable. I need to go back and grab a couple more.

#1691 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'm looking forward to my Dickel store pick too.. First time I'd seen these.
    Vinyl recommendation to go along with drinking these fine bourbons... Waylon, Willie and the boys. Makes them so, so good.
    [quoted image]

I was just listening to them a couple weeks ago. Good stuff.

#1700 4 years ago

Is that mash bill 49% wheat? That’s almost a wheat whiskey instead of bourbon. Let me know how it tastes, I’m very intrigued.

#1708 4 years ago

My best friend passed away 3 years ago today of a stroke. If that’s not a good enough reason to open this bitch up for a toast then I don’t know what is. Cheers.

#1711 4 years ago

And to all those who PM’d me about the Cornerstone it’s REALLY good. I’m not gonna spout off about how it tastes like almond covered figs wrapped in burnt leather, but the finish on it is amazing. It just keeps going and going with a nice sting in the middle. Really nice.

#1717 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody had either of these?[quoted image]

I’ve heard the Black Maple Hills is overpriced shite. Some people like Noah’s Mill, I thought it was just ok.

#1725 4 years ago

Another day another wildcard, from NY this time and it's very good! Didn't even know they made bourbon up there.[quoted image]

I’ve been nursing a 12 yr store pick for a year. Very good stuff.

#1735 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

Vermont is a control state. Which means that the state government oversees all alcohol sales. Keep all products at MSRP, but we are limited with what products do make it to the state. We don’t have nearly the selection I see other people post, but when I find a good bottle, it’s at a good price.
    I picked up these bottles last night. The new batch of Stagg Jr was a little over $50. The store pick Buffalo Trace was $25. The store pick Whistle Pig was $70 and the Willett 10 was $165. (Plus tax).
    The Willett was the only one in the entire state. Had the state track it down for me. The store owner was going to keep it for themselves, but I got lucky.[quoted image]

That’s a very nice haul! Enjoy. That Willett ....

#1736 4 years ago

I miss this being my daily drinker. A liquor store out here had this in stock forever at $39. Now he keeps the Old Weller Antique behind the register and it’s $100.

#1738 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Shit... I can't find it at all. The store told me it comes out once a year.

Actually after sipping on this, it’s kind of a boring whiskey. It’s too smooth for my tastes. I prefer something with some bite and funk to it. May be my preference for barrel strength/Wild Turkey. If I run across one up here I’ll send it your way. They pop up occasionally.

#1740 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Still wonderin' about that Masters Keep.... Good stuff?

Very very good. I’ve learned what separates the really good stuff from the average/decent is a long complex finish. There’s a ton of good whiskey on the pallate but with great ones the real fun starts when it’s down the hatch. 2018 Stagg set the standard for me.

#1749 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

How tight can you go..?
    [quoted image]

That gin and vodka need to go. I thought you were going to build a sweet bar in your place? Preferably where your turntable is.

#1784 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Anyone have an opinion on Jefferson ocean?

I tried Voyage 1or2. It was unique, not sure if I’d buy a bottle but would likely order again at a bar, especially the wheated batch. I think Fulltilt and/or PinDeLaPin probably have some more insight as I remember somebody talking about it recently.
    edit:post 1753 and up

#1797 4 years ago

Fuck it dude...let’s go bowling.

#1807 4 years ago

For my tastes JJBowman SB>Blanton’s. If you’re chasing Blanton’s to no avail, grab some of this.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

Pre hump day Pioneer Spirits.
    [quoted image]

#1817 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

WTF...
    No, I didn't.
    [quoted image]

Did you? I’ve heard that stuff is amazing but man...that’s a lot of scratch for a bottle of booze.

#1818 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

This is a pretty decent haul for today I really like the single barrel Taylor. I keep running into this Stagg jr. but I wish I would run into Big Daddy Stagg instead[quoted image]

Your bunker is rounding out nicely. Nice haul. That batch 12 of Stagg Jr. is REALLY good, just popped mine last week.

#1829 4 years ago

Like many, I started with Wild Turkey 101, Makers, and Woodford. Although my palette has changed I still enjoy all three, especially the variations. I love all things Wild Turkey (Russell’s, Rare Breed, WBSafell etc.), Maker’s Cask strength, 46, and the private select store picks. This is my favorite Woodford offspring, the double oaked. It’s really sweet so Incan only have one or two but it’s damn delicious.

#1832 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Generosity abounds! Damn good stuff. Here's one to chisox !
    [quoted image]

I’ll drink to that! Cheers!

#1853 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

So no bueno on 375’s?

I would buy it because Cask Strength MM is great, all the Private Select picks I’ve tried were all really good and Maker’s 46 is quite tasty too. For me, Makers gets exponentially better as it’s proofed up and all three are cask strength releases.

#1896 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

It's called the Century Bar. Have been there a bunch of times. Great vibe, good selection of bourbon, and really knowledgable staff. Highly recommended. https://www.centurybourbon.com
    Has anybody ever been to Canon in Seattle? One of the top ten bars in the world. I had Pappy 23 there but they are known for their mixed drinks. Just check out the pics. http://www.canonseattle.com

That whiskey list at Canon is insane! Most impressive i’ve ever seen.

#1903 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I dropped about 400 in a few hours. It only has a few tables but the food is great. There big thing is mixology. They smoke ice, infused drinks, everything. One of their signature drinks smokes in a Sherlock Holmes pipe. One drink they made me that was bourbon, Champaign, grape fruit, and a few others took about 10 mins to make with all the things they did. They said they had about 4,000 boozes in stock. Was definitely a blast.

Sounds great. I wouldn’t even know where to start on that list. I’d probably just be a deer in headlights and order a beer lol.

#1921 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Loading up the best for a very special event tomorrow night.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Blanton’s is my go to for my flask too. Bring it to all my son’s football games. Whiskey and Friday night lights is a great combo.

#1933 4 years ago

Just got hit with 4” rain in 6 hrs and main sump pump just went down. Good thing I have this new 14yr Bourbon Barrel store pick to show off. Gonna be a long night boys. Must save pins! (and whiskey)

#1937 4 years ago

Big win for our guys today, cheers!

#1938 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Sure hope everything works out that is really not a good situation. Keep us posted! In the meantime kick back with a floaty and enjoy that fine new bourbon.

Oh and all good and dry over here. Sump has been replaced and pins are not afloat.

#1939 4 years ago

Here’s to the best whiskey I’ve ever had and to my sister for finding it for me.

#1944 4 years ago

You’ll find one eventually. In the meantime it’s not that rare to find at bars/restaurants. In the meantime Stagg Jr. is getting really good, that batch 12 is great.

#1951 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

One of my favorites!

Just bought 2 more myself, so good. Man, this no drinking during the week SUCKS.

#1974 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Stopped to pick up some 1942 as a gift and ended up getting a gift for myself too Any thought on this Michters 10yr Single??[quoted image]

It’s really good. Like really really good.

#2008 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashsmith:

Picked up a Pappy 15yr. today at retail $119.00. Also got a Booker's Country Ham over the weekend. Should have the Pappy's in hand in a few days being shipped to the store.

Let me know how that Country Ham is please. I almost bought one tonight but decided to hear how it is first. The last two releases have just been ok IMO.

#2023 4 years ago

Cheers!

#2026 4 years ago

Nothing like bourbon hunting at 9:00 AM. I felt like such an alcoholic being in a liquor store that early lol.

#2031 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Oh man. Nice find on that Parker. What does that run in your area?

$165. Another one to stash in the bunker for special occasions.

#2051 4 years ago

You guys have a favorite bang for the buck bourbon? So far I think it's these three for me. There are better of course but for around $24, $22, $27 (left to right) these just seem like such a good deal and are all pretty good.[quoted image]

Wild Turkey 101, Old Granddad 114, Old Forester Rye, Buffalo Trace are all around $25 and really solid pours.
    Edit to add WT 101 Rye is really good too.

#2066 4 years ago
    Quoted from S-Miles:

What price point are ones seeing this?[quoted image]

$119

#2069 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

$190-200 around here.

For Confiscated? Yikes.

#2083 4 years ago

I need to revisit my Wilderness Trail bourbon because everyone loves it but me. Grabbed this today, I’ve heard it’s amazing from some several trusted bourbon buddies.

#2104 4 years ago

Depending on the year George T. is $119 retail (?) and $400 secondary.The 2018 is the best whiskey I’ve ever had and is the only bottle I’d consider at that price point.

#2105 4 years ago

Found myself three RR store picks today. Two of them are an elusive barrel I’ve been chasing and for me felt like finding two bottles of Pappy 15 on the shelf. Cheers!

#2107 4 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

Thanks. I will never get it at retail over here that's for sure!

We don’t get it here either. I’ve heard some crazy prices for American whiskey down there so $450 isn’t that bad considering.

#2129 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Russell's reserve is a very good 10yr bourbon for the money, curious though what is this certain elusive barrel and what makes it so special?

It’s a store (Binny’s) pick. Binny’s head whiskey guys selected 4 barrels for their store. Two were great, one was decent, the fourth was trash. One of the good ones has been eluding me (most bottles went to stores way north of me). I found two bottles of barrel#31 and they’re fan-fucking-tastic.

#2130 4 years ago

Spent the weekend in Austin and drank a lot of good stuff. This was probably the highlight, 2016 Booker’s Rye. 138 proof rye that made my eyes roll like a slot machine. Best rye I’ve ever had and a GOAT whiskey contender for me.

E54F6ED1-4615-4E18-9AD4-217306BFA3C0 (resized).jpegE54F6ED1-4615-4E18-9AD4-217306BFA3C0 (resized).jpeg
    #2135 4 years ago

Someone please help me. I have Bourbon Acquisition Syndrome (BAS) and there’s no known cure.

#2146 4 years ago
    Quoted from Forum-ninja:

It’s a special barrel pick,so it may taste different than the normal stuff.Rare breed is excellent in my opinion,I prefer it over the Kentucky spirit.
    Lots of barrel picks going on here.Wild Turkey has started to take up a lot of space in my collection.[quoted image][quoted image]

I bought that 0231 barrel last week. It’s pretty tasty, lots of cherry cola going on. I agree about the RR store picks and am currently stuffing my barracks with them. I think I’m up to 14 with more to come. Even the mediocre ones are better than 95% of the stuff on the shelf.

#2170 4 years ago

Cheers guys! Happy Friday.

#2172 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Been hunting for that 12 year but it seems to be super scarce along with the full proof.

I found one a couple months ago . I really don’t care for it personally, I mean it’s good, but the hype is over the top. I’ve been working on this bottle for about 3 years.

#2186 4 years ago
    Quoted from S-Miles:

Enjoying a Rye tasting[quoted image]

What was the verdict? I’ve heard good things about Driftless Glen.

#2202 4 years ago

Getting the weekend started a little early (don’t tell my wife). New Riff Binny’s barrel pick, delicious.

#2211 4 years ago

Son’s team won 1st round HS football playoff game pour. Cheers!

Edit to add: This stuff is amazing. Not sure if any whiskey is worth $160 a bottle but I might buy another of these if I saw it in the wild. Plus it’s bottle 109 of barrel #1, how cool is that?

#2222 4 years ago

Yeah I cracked my OF single barrel last night and it’s pretty good. Not spectacular but it’s got the classic bourbon taste in spades. Also cracked a High West Double Rye Binny’s pick finished in rum barrels. Meh.

#2246 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Ahh to hell with it I was gonna stay clean today but hey wtf? Its no 12yr or full proof but its still mighty damn good. Cheers[quoted image]

I think Antique is better than the 12 yr. Can’t comment on the FP as I’m not paying secondary prices and bars are charging a ridiculous premium for a pour of $50 whiskey.

#2277 4 years ago

I’ll do the SS thing I’ve used USPS with much luck over the years and it’s cheaper. The inflatable wine things are awesome.

#2278 4 years ago

Happy Friday gents (and gals). I haven’t bought a bottle of Booker’s since 2017. Heard a lot of good things about the Ham.

#2284 4 years ago

Last call for my tired old ass. Have a good weekend guys.

#2285 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

That BIB heaven hill is sitting on shelves here along with Stagg Jr if anyone wants a candle before thanksgiving
    I concur with the fact that shipping candles is expensive and usually runs ~$25 after shipping and materials.

The new 7 yr BIB? I think it’s allocated up here which is crazy. I liked getting the 6yr that was KY only because it felt like it was bootlegged or something. $13 for a good BIB bourbon was too good to be true.

#2306 4 years ago

I really like New Riff Single Barrel especially store picks. Binny’s just released a store pick that’s really solid.

#2316 4 years ago

Blanton’s is fine. It’s pretty middle of the road in most regards (proof, flavor, etc) so it seems to be a gateway bourbon for lots of people. Paying $80-$100 on secondary is ludicrous. If you want to taste the full expression track down a bottle of SFTB. That stuff is legit great. Gold is pretty damn good too.

#2325 4 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Ok-why not have 2 entries from the metropolis of Frankfort...in.

Holy shit a Bowz sighting...how you been man? We need to hang.

#2353 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Damn, the Maker’s wood finished is fantastic. Very, very smooth. Anybody else had it yet?

Yes! I bought a bottle then went back and bought two more the next day before they sold out. It’s outstanding.

#2355 4 years ago

I’ve heard that Woodford is really good and would be my choice of the two. Jos. Magnus is pretty good but not $100+ good.

#2357 4 years ago

Happy whiskey Wednesday guys. Just a nip.

#2373 4 years ago

Grabbed a couple of my faves today. Really want to crack them tonight but tomorrow will be here soon enough.

#2386 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

That Blaum bros looks interesting ive never heard of it whats the price point on it? Is that a local thing for you and how is it?

It is a local (Illinois) distillery that picked some primo barrels sourced from MGP a few years ago and finished them in the crazy Illinois climate and they turned out amazing. They release every quarter and it’s gotten ridiculous the lengths people go to get them now. People come from all over the country or drive (even from KY) and rent hotel rooms (or sleep in their car) to wait in line overnight for a bottle upon release. I did not pay $325. They have store picks that I’ve seen go for $600 which is absolute madness. I actually haven’t had it in a while because of the crazy prices and cracked that bottle last night for a nip and ....meh.

#2388 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Not bad, listened for about 20 mins, got bored and put on some real bourbon drinking music

Going to see him in a couple weeks. Dude can bring it!

#2393 4 years ago

Huge win for my boy’s team to advance to the state semi-finals. Fuck yeah! Cheers!

#2426 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well @Chisox I came across a bottle today and for $30 no way I was passing it up. Can't wait to try it for myself.[quoted image]

Sweet scoop! Let me know what you think.

#2464 4 years ago
    Quoted from t8tony8t:

Will trade for a nice pinball machine![quoted image]

Please be my secret santa! Always wanted to try that M20.

#2465 4 years ago

Here’s to the weekend and to the semi-finals tomorrow. Let’s go!!

1,113 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Chisox. You are on page 1 of 5.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chisox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?tu=Chisox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.