Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 235.
    #1 7 years ago

Figured Bourbon has now become a rich person hobby much like pinball, so why not start a thread.

(I don't really think pinball or bourbon are rich folks hobbies, but prices and collecting has gone up for both).

I dont drink much anymore but when I do drink I like good and rare bourbon. It is bourbon hunting season with all the special releases likely starting to trickle out at local shops, so these is the time of year to talk bourbon.

What are you drinking?
    What are you hoping to find during this release season?

My personal favorite is OFBB (Old Forester Birthday Boubon) Teh 2016 batch has been released but I am yet to find any locally.

#2 7 years ago

I haven't gotten into Bourbon. Scotch Whisky though, that I like.

#3 7 years ago

I usually have a few beers when i play but if inbdrinking hard stuff its usually whisky. Ive beem into bullet bourbon lately. Good price and is smooth.

#4 7 years ago

A 1/4 glass of Marker's or Eagle Rare and a cube of ice makes the world go round. Haven't bothered with any special release stuff, should pick a few up though since it pretty much never goes bad.

#5 7 years ago

I've tried a few bourbons, but I always come back to good ole Makers Mark. My drink of choice the last few years has been the Old Fashioned. Simple but delicious.

#6 7 years ago

I've been into Bulleit. It's just a little cheaper than many and still pretty darn good.

#7 7 years ago

Anyone drink the stuff straight like it was intended?

Bourbon drinking, collecting, hunting can be just as addictive and pinball; fair warning.

The main things people seem to be hunting/ the bump in bourbon popularity stems from the limited release stuff.

Pappy of course
    Then all the BTAC (Buffalo Trace Antique collection)

Plenty of ohters but those are the big ones.

I also enjoy the age marked Elijah Craig. 12 and 17 year are favorites. Nice nose and woody front end with a smooth hug on the backside.

#8 7 years ago

Two great lower-priced bourbons are the regular Buffalo Trace and Henry McKenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond Straight Kentucky Bourbon.

Honestly, unless you're going for Pappy or some of the limited releases, there's no reason to spend more than $50 for regular issue bourbon (which is the price of Angel's Envy, one of the best bourbons at any price)

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Bourbon drinking, collecting, hunting can be just as addictive and pinball; fair warning.
    The main things people seem to be hunting/ the bump in bourbon popularity stems from the limited release stuff.
    Pappy of course
    I also enjoy the age marked Elijah Craig. 12 and 17 year are favorites. Nice nose and woody front end with a smooth hug on the backside.

I never mix it, just one cube of ice, let it breath for a minute or 2 and slowly enjoy. Great for sipping on after a long day at work. I'm more of a wine drinker but every once in a while nothing beats a nice glass of bourbon.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pappy of course

I also always drink it straight.

Some of my go-to's
    Economical:
    Buffalo Trace
    Tin Cup
    Elijah Craig
    Makers

A little more pricey:
    Basil Hayden
    Straight Edge
    Angels Envy(tastes a lot like Hayden, but where I live, Envy is $10 more)
    Breckenridge

One glass, two huge ice cubes, and I'm good to go for the night!

#11 7 years ago

Wish I had pictures of my white water, it was part of a Jim Beam promotion, the cabinet had the JB art on the sides

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yup. No ice. I do use those frozen rocks though (soapstone?). I think that still counts as straight up.

#13 7 years ago

Been drinking Noah's mill, willet, and angel's envy. All excellent. Haven't gone hunting for the rare stuff this thread is about. I was in Kentucky back in the spring and asked in a couple shops if there was anything rare/sought after I should pick up, but they didn't have anything. Sounds like maybe I was out of season.

#14 7 years ago

Season starts now (officially starts on Sept 2nd this year, but take a little while for things to show up and local places).

My tips are to go to your local store and talk with the manager/owner to establish a relationship. Some places do lotto, some do an insider thing, some do a 1st come first served on the day of arrival.

Either way, it always helps to have a firned on the inside.

#15 7 years ago

tumblr_nazotxtV5e1swze9do2_1280 (resized).jpgtumblr_nazotxtV5e1swze9do2_1280 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Makers Mark... The empty case also makes a great replacement topper

IMG_20160426_212529 (resized).jpgIMG_20160426_212529 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

I only like Glenfiddich brand.

#18 7 years ago

I love a good whiskey rare or not. I usually only hunt down one rare bourbon. Love Basil Hayden as well even though it's not on the shelf at the moment.
    IMG_7441 (resized).PNGIMG_7441 (resized).PNG

#19 7 years ago

All of these are fine bourbons. Makers is my go to but if I want to really relax I go with Booker's straight and a Fuente Fuente Opus X. That is a manly combination.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

All of these are fine bourbons. Makers is my go to but if I want to really relax I go with Booker's straight and a Fuente Fuente Opus X. That is a manly combination.

I will also say that a fine whiskey is complimented greatly by a fine cigar, and vise versa.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

Honestly, unless you're going for Pappy or some of the limited releases, there's no reason to spend more than $50 for regular issue bourbon

Do you mean for a bottle or by the glass?
    At Spears, adjacent to the Westin in Wheeling, I had a double of something that was close to fifty bucks the other day.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Do you mean for a bottle or by the glass?
    At Spears, adjacent to the Westin in Wheeling, I had a double of something that was close to fifty bucks the other day.

When you order woodford reserve at a restaurant you get screwed everytime. Good bourbon, not that for that price though.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

Two great lower-priced bourbons are the regular Buffalo Trace and Henry McKenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond Straight Kentucky Bourbon.
    Honestly, unless you're going for Pappy or some of the limited releases, there's no reason to spend more than $50 for regular issue bourbon (which is the price of Angel's Envy, one of the best bourbons at any price)

Angel's envy is fantastic. Hard to find in the KC area.

#24 7 years ago

Good topic! My current preferred beverage combo and style while playing pinball (the actual brands vary somewhat).

shot and a beer (resized).jpgshot and a beer (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

When you order woodford reserve at a restaurant you get screwed everytime. Good bourbon, not that for that price though.

Pretty darn good price at Bevmo for the quality IMO. Last bottle of Woodford Reserve I got on sale for like $29 at Bevmo...

Regarding Old Rip Van Winkle...I've been lucky enough to do blind tastings of 20 year, 15 year, and the 10 year and every time I liked the 10 best which is the least expensive. I guess I mention that because cost does not mean you will like it more than a cheaper bottle. That's why I enjoy whiskey tasting events it allows for me to taste a wide variety to see what I prefer.

#26 7 years ago

Two I found recently in my national parks vacation was Sugarhouse in SLC, and if smoke is your thing really dug the High West campfire. Peach Street, Laws, Leopolds, and still find time for Stranahans. Roughstock in Montana. Locally Ballast Devil Share is solid which is soon switching to Cutwater with the Constellation buyout of Ballast Pt. Malahat just released theirs and would love to find it.

None of these are that rare but straight from the source of craft distilleries.

#27 7 years ago

Go neat or go home! Although a few droplets of water can be good for barrel strength pours. Lately I've been enjoying Stagg Jr. a lot.

BTW, the restaurant out front of the Expo hotel has a large selection of bourbons.

IMG_4297 (resized).JPGIMG_4297 (resized).JPG

IMG_4298 (resized).JPGIMG_4298 (resized).JPG

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

...I've been lucky enough to do blind tastings of 20 year, 15 year, and the 10 year and every time I liked the 10 best which is the least expensive

I personally like the 12 the best. 10 is too young. 15 and older is too woody for my tastes.

#29 7 years ago

These are not all bourbons, but this is what I have sitting on top of the back bar right now. The two best tequilas in the world (Don Julio Real and Herrudura Seleccion Suprema), two awesome Lagavulin scotches, Johnny Blue, Yamasaki, some Bookers, some Makers, a really nice Bushmills, etc. All the rest of the booze is on rollouts down below.

Collecting tequilas is fun and the good ones taste more like a cognac or whiskey. I have some for the taste and some for the bottles. All in all, I have over 50 tequilas. They used to be relatively cheap but similar to bourbon, have become popular recently and the price has gone up.

IMG_0322 (resized).JPGIMG_0322 (resized).JPG

#30 7 years ago

I've dumped way too much money on whiskey. Don't even get me started on wine.

Fortunately you can't drink a pinball machine so it always retains some value.

That said... a good whiskey pairs well with pinball. Too much beer and you're peeing all the time instead of playing.

Some of my faves are pictured. I like them peaty and over the top with an ice cube or two.

Also pleasantly surprised by Japanese whiskeys.

If you haven't tried them yet, anything by Compass Box is great. Their top end stuff is spectacular.

whiskey2 (resized).jpgwhiskey2 (resized).jpg
    whiskey1 (resized).jpgwhiskey1 (resized).jpg

whiskey6 (resized).jpgwhiskey6 (resized).jpg
    whiskey4 (resized).jpgwhiskey4 (resized).jpg
    whiskey5 (resized).jpgwhiskey5 (resized).jpg
    whiskey8 (resized).jpgwhiskey8 (resized).jpg
    whiskey9 (resized).jpgwhiskey9 (resized).jpg
    whiskey7 (resized).pngwhiskey7 (resized).png

#31 7 years ago

Liquor cabinet current state.

IMG_4344 (resized).JPGIMG_4344 (resized).JPG

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

I've dumped way too much money on whiskey. Don't even get me started on wine.
    Fortunately you can't drink a pinball machine so it always retains some value.
    That said... a good whiskey pairs well with pinball. Too much beer and you're peeing all the time instead of playing.
    Some of my faves are pictured. I like them peaty and over the top with an ice cube or two.
    Also pleasantly surprised by Japanese whiskeys.
    If you haven't tried them yet, anything by Compass Box is great. Their top end stuff is spectacular.

The Yamazaki 18 yr is probably the best scotch I've ever had even though it's not technically a scotch. I always try to keep a bottle on hand, but since it's fairly pricey to drink all the time, the Highland Park 12 is more of my day-to-day scotch.

I drink ryes about as much as scotch though and my favorites are High West. I always keep a bottle of their Rendezvous Rye (the best) and Double Rye (everyday).

Don't really drink bourbons as much as the other two, but Bell Meade or Eagle Rare are my norms, though Angel's Envy is also a favorite.

All whiskey seems best to me straight, though sometimes i add a single smallish ice cube, particularly for bourbons. Tried various whiskey stones but none seem to work that well.

Hmm...this thread has reminded me how much stuff I'm out of stock on...

#33 7 years ago

I don't drink a ton of bourbon, but my go to is Old Weller Antique. It is a very nice wheated bourbon. It is part of the Buffalo Trace Distillery and apparently uses the same recipe as PVW. In fact, the patriarch of PVW worked for Old Weller before setting out on his own. My drink of choice is wine, particularly cabernet. Don't get me started here.

Sean

#34 7 years ago

This is a thread I can get behind. Gin was my go to for a long time. That has recently gone to scotch and bourbon. It's just so much less work to not have to mix with tonic.

I haven't gotten too far into bourbon yet, but when Costco sells a handle of Buffalo Trace for $30 it's hard to branch out. This bottle really should have lasted longer than it has...

#35 7 years ago

My staple pin playing whiskey is Evan Williams, bottom shelf stuff, but smooth & I swear it's hangover free.

I built my own still a while back & hung out in the home distiller's sites for a while, they all agreed that Evan was by far the best affordable whiskey out there.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pappy of course

Pappy is overrated the btac could be found up north 10 yr ago but not now.So now I drink the 10 yr old Eagle Rare but not the 17 yr old.Other good single barrel like Blanton's or Fore Rose bourbon

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

My staple pin playing whiskey is Evan Williams, bottom shelf stuff, but smooth & I swear it's hangover free.
    I built my own still a while back & hung out in the home distiller's sites for a while, they all agreed that Evan was by far the best affordable whiskey out there.

A shot of Evans Williams (the house bourbon) chased with a draft PBR - mmm mmm Aunt Bee! A popular libation while playing pins at Shorty's in Seattle. Refreshing and inexpensive!
    Can't necessarily agree with the no hangover benefit though. Then again, perhaps it was the PBR.

Added over 7 years ago: EDIT: Subsequent testing has shown it was the PBR. I now abstain from drinking it, even though I still enjoy my Pabst Can Crusher!

#38 7 years ago

I have a large bourbon collection but my go to is Makers. Makers and pinball is a nightly event.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Pappy is overrated the btac could be found up north 10 yr ago but not now.So now I drink the 10 yr old Eagle Rare but not the 17 yr old.Other good single barrel like Blanton's or Fore Rose bourbon

agreed. Pappy is good but far from great. I would put it in a top 20, but it does not make the top 10.

I am going to give some of the Japanese ones a try.

#40 7 years ago

They need a pinball drinking game to play with friends. Like when you hit jackpot you drink, lock a ball drink ect.

#41 7 years ago

I'm a Jack Daniels man myself.

JD (resized).jpgJD (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

Bourbon (although Jack is technically a whiskey) & coke - another fine libation!

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I wouldn't call Evan Williams bottom shelf (maybe the standard bottle). I think the Evans Williams Single Barrel is excellent and a great value in this constant rising tide of Bourbon prices.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

A shot of Evans Williams (the house bourbon) chased with a draft PBR - mmm mmm Aunt Bee! A popular libation while playing pins at Shorty's in Seattle. Refreshing and inexpensive!
    Can't necessarily agree with the no hangover benefit though. Then again, perhaps it was the PBR.

You know it HAD to be the PBR giving you problems.. that's why I make it a rule to "stay the course" & NEVER mix different alcohol types during a session. Only took me 57 years to figure that out, but I'm a slow learner.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm a Jack Daniels man myself.

Dammit, I gotta get me one of those mid-60's Williams drinking pins. (with the cool drink shelf on the front)

#46 7 years ago

I mostly have Michigan whiskeys on my shelf. There's nothing like sipping and flipping. Here's my whiskey bar and the view from it. (Halloween in the barcade is in full effect)

IMG_0238 (resized).JPGIMG_0238 (resized).JPG

IMG_0240 (resized).JPGIMG_0240 (resized).JPG

#47 7 years ago

Definitely a thread I can get behind too! Scored the 2016 OFBB yesterday. I've been chasing bourbon longer than I've been collecting pins-but it is all about the thrill of the hunt! Probably going to save this bottle for Thanksgiving or Christmas. May have to christen the next pin with it! Current daily drivers vary between Evan Williams BiB, Turkey 101, and Rittenhouse. Are you guys still seeing Old Weller Antique in the wild at retail?

KIMG0170 (resized).jpgKIMG0170 (resized).jpg

#48 7 years ago

Im jealous! My no 1 iso for this season is ofbb.

#49 7 years ago

If anyone sees any at your local store, please grab me a bottle or two. Ill happily pay for it plus the shipping!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone sees any at your local store, please grab me a bottle or two. Ill happily pay for it plus the shipping!

Sorry, I was on a list. Waiting for my BTAC lottery now. The hunt continues though.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon?hl=pinhead2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.