Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 235.
    #351 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Just got offered a Pappy 12yr at my local store. Wish I could afford it...

I don't know how much pappy goes for on the secondary market but if it's being offered to you at "cost" I'd like to think you could sell it on the secondary market and make a few dollars, if you were so inclined to do so.

Now, if you're passing on it so someone else can buy it at cost then kudos to you sir

#352 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I don't know how much pappy goes for on the secondary market but if it's being offered to you at "cost" I'd like to think you could sell it on the secondary market and make a few dollars, if you were so inclined to do so.
    Now, if you're passing on it so someone else can buy it at cost then kudos to you sir

If it were being sold at cost, I would have bought it.
    He asked for $999, and after a brief negotiation, I walked away empty handed.
    He was willing to move, but I wasnt going to be spending 500 either.

#353 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

If it were being sold at cost, I would have bought it.
    He asked for $999, and after a brief negotiation, I walked away empty handed.
    He was willing to move, but I wasnt going to be spending 500 either.

That is a ridiculous price for the 12yr. I paid $59 for mine, $79 for the Pappy 15yr, and $64 for BTAC Thomas Handy Rye 2011. Now this was November of 2012. The T.H. Rye (best whisky I have ever tasted and still have another) was collecting dust way up on the top shelf, and the others just came in. There were 3 bottles of the 12yr, I bought 1 . Hey I didn't know I would never again be able to afford it at the time. The Pappy 12yr was very excellent, smooth with lots wood. A great bourbon for sure, but I think at $500 you would be disappointed if you ever opened it. Not the whiskys' fault, just too much hype heaped upon it, too many great bourbon's under $50 for it to ever be worth that if you are drinking it. Hey if you have the money it is fun to have in the collection. Mine is empty now, the Pappy 15 is waiting for the right occasion and it will be opened. I could buy/trade a lot of bottles for that one though

#354 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

He asked for $999,

So apparently it was already on the "secondary" market. In other words, the guy that had was trying to get the market rate for it rather than selling it for "cost" on the shelf.

I enjoy bourbon but no way I'd pay that for it. There isn't ANY bourbon on the planet that's worth that kind of money. I just don't have the ability to tell the difference between a good $50 bourbon and a $900 bourbon. I guess that's a good thing

#355 5 years ago

Interesting thread, thanks for the bump, got some new stuff to try.

Woodford Reserve is my go to, and was the best tour on the bourbon trail when we went in 2012.

#356 5 years ago

Pappy is under $100 all day. Not sure about secondary market but I'd say it's another nice value at 12 yr.

#357 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Pappy is under $100 all day

I just did a quick google search for the 12yr and I'm not seeing anything near $100 for this...so, is this a case of who you know? I guess I'd say if you can find a bottle of pappy (any age) for under $100, I'd take a bottle.

#358 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I just did a quick google search for the 12yr and I'm not seeing anything near $100 for this...so, is this a case of who you know? I guess I'd say if you can find a bottle of pappy (any age) for under $100, I'd take a bottle.

Last year it was just a matter of being at the right place at release. But 12 year was typically $89. You just had to be lined up an hr or more before the store opened to get it. The older varieties go for $269 or more in some cases. $900 is crazy for a 12 year, it's a solid bourbon but nothing special in my opinion.

#359 5 years ago

12 year (lot b) goes for roughly $450-$500 on the secondary market. No thanks.

#360 5 years ago

I’ll just get a Wheller instead before I spend a fortune second hand market for Pappy. I’ve had it and I won’t spend much higher than retail for it

#361 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

This bottle wholesale is $77 but its labeled "limited stock" I have had a few cases of this in 2018 so not sure what is left. Everyone is off now so I can't just call and find out. I'll report back December 26.

#362 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

This bottle wholesale is $77 but its labeled "limited stock" I have had a few cases of this in 2018 so not sure what is left. Everyone is off now so I can't just call and find out. I'll report back December 26.

If you are offering to sell Pappy 12 for $100 a bottle, I would happily take a case at that price. Seriously.

It seems you have much better availability and connections than what is an option up here.
    It is some of my favorite stuff (I like the 10 and 12 much better than the longer aged Pappy) and is completely unavailable up here anymore.

#363 5 years ago

I just purchase bottle of Jack [ok that is technically not a Bourbon. Makers , Woodford Reserve

I have to look up exact prices but 20.00 , 28.00 31.00 out the door. Have to double check.

Yes Bourbon over ice when playing pinball , maybe an old fashion .

Nothing fancy with the beer Good American Lager .

Budweiser [not Bud Light] Miller [not Miller lite] .

#364 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you are offering to sell Pappy 12 for $100 a bottle, I would happily take a case at that price. Seriously.
    It seems you have much better availability and connections than what is an option up here.
    It is some of my favorite stuff (I like the 10 and 12 much better than the longer aged Pappy) and is completely unavailable up here anymore.

That's what the price is on the wholesale side. I guess we just have access to more things than retail customers. I can't abuse that legally unfortunately.

#365 5 years ago

I’m pretty pumped...I just got a pappy 12 at $80 (haven’t tried it yet), and a midwinter night’s dram for $77 (by high west). The MND is actually a rye finished in French oak port barrels, and i was really impressed with it. Don’t be afraid to check it out if you see it!

#366 5 years ago
    Quoted from wyopin:

I’m pretty pumped...I just got a pappy 12...

No such thing as a Pappy 12, but there is VanWinkle Reserve "Lot B" 12 year old, haha

Congrats on paying legitimate retail. It's probably my favorite, and the most balanced, of the entire line.

#367 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Nice! Have you cracked that Little Book yet? Haven’t tried it yet.

Yep. Tried it, and it’s got a bite to it!
    Got one last run in before Xmas, and picked these up...

C2569B8B-3AB5-42AA-85D2-2258B7950608 (resized).jpegC2569B8B-3AB5-42AA-85D2-2258B7950608 (resized).jpeg
    #368 5 years ago

Found this at Costco for $49.99 and figured I would give it a try. It’s pretty good.

9353FE24-D5C7-4C45-94FE-8C56C1AFBAC0 (resized).jpeg9353FE24-D5C7-4C45-94FE-8C56C1AFBAC0 (resized).jpeg
    #369 5 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Found this at Costco for $49.99 and figured I would give it a try. It’s pretty good.
    [quoted image]

Great stuff! When i was in watkins glenn ny this summer i found a bottle and it is very good!

Have not seen any in the midwest yet. Nice to see it is around.

Did they have more?

#370 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Did they have more?

Costco.... they probably had a pallet of the stuff.

#371 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Great stuff! When i was in watkins glenn ny this summer i found a bottle and it is very good!
    Have not seen any in the midwest yet. Nice to see it is around.
    Did they have more?

Probably 50 or so bottles. I was picking up my brother-in-law some scotch for Christmas last week and grabbed that for myself. Unwinding with a few glasses tonight after the hectic holiday family Christmas’s.

#372 5 years ago

Nice! Been working on pinball non stop the past three days as i try to get things running well for the nacs in wi. Drinking some blantons tonight.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

#373 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Nice! Been working on pinball non stop the past three days as i try to get things running well for the nacs in wi. Drinking some blantons tonight.
    Enjoy and happy holidays!

Only reason I picked up the harpers was bc I just finished the Blantons I picked up from Costco earlier this year. My wife kept the cork bc she thought it was cool.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #374 5 years ago

With balantons, each rider is different. Flip it over and look for the letter. They spell out B L A N T O N S if you want to hunt for them all. Fun to do.

#375 5 years ago

Glad I didn't bat an eye walking away at the $100 price point.

#376 5 years ago

Special days call for special whiskey. Two of my faves, Merry Christmas.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #377 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Yep. Tried it, and it’s got a bite to it!
    Got one last run in before Xmas, and picked these up...[quoted image]

Is that Binny’s? (That small batch might be the best $40 bourbon out there by the way).

#378 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Is that Binny’s? (That small batch might be the best $40 bourbon out there by the way).

Nope.
    Kenwood in Homer.
    Pretty sure they’ve got more small batch if you have a chance to run up there.
    Happy Holidays all!!

#379 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Nope.
    Kenwood in Homer.
    Pretty sure they’ve got more small batch if you have a chance to run up there.
    Happy Holidays all!!

Cheers! And Merry Christmas! Let’s hang when the dust settles.

#380 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Cheers! And Merry Christmas! Let’s hang when the dust settles.

Yessir.
    I’ll hit you up after the first...or possibly this weekend if it stays open.

#381 5 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you all get to enjoy your day sipping and spending time with the special pinhead in your life! =)

#382 5 years ago

Merry Christmas from one of my Daughters...

IMG_20181225_100501868 (resized).jpgIMG_20181225_100501868 (resized).jpg
    #383 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

This makes me feel better. Antique around here is a huge deal. W12 is a unicorn

ypurchn In my last four years (since the "shortages" began) of bourbon hunting, I've seen Antique in the wild on four occasions, three of those times they were store picks available for a reasonable price. The other time it was something in the neighborhood of $100-$150. Can't recall exactly, but not a price I was willing to pay. How often do you see it down in Georgia? Weller SR used to be relatively easy to locate, but that's gonna away too as of late. Merry Christmas to all!

#384 5 years ago

I popped open my very first bottle of Blanton’s yesterday. Good stuff!

Although I must say, the bottle of Dalmore 12 I picked up last week is getting more attention.

#385 5 years ago

Christmas gift my brother picked up from one of the craft guys. I'm going to have to steer him towards the Willett gift shop stuff next time he's in the area. I really dig the presentation and the fact he got the founders to sign the bottle. Time will tell if the juice is worth the squeeze. All in all a very thoughtful gift. Hope all you Pinsiders had a great day. I'm off to sip a few and chase some scores.

KIMG2380 (resized).jpgKIMG2380 (resized).jpg
    #386 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Merry Christmas from one of my Daughters...
    [quoted image]

Wow, what a great present! I have 2 bottle of that currently from the Barry days. Picked one up from the actual distillery and then 1 when they upped the price after the new distiller took over.

#387 5 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Interesting thread, thanks for the bump, got some new stuff to try.
    Woodford Reserve is my go to, and was the best tour on the bourbon trail when we went in 2012.

Almost finished with my first bottle of this... and I'm planning to pick up another. It has a very nice flavor and hits me just right.

Really starting to appreciate bourbon and scotch as of late.

#388 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallKid:

Some of my personal faves in no particular order:
    Willett, for my money, makes some great bourbons. I absolutely LOVE the Pot Still Reserve. Try this one: buy a bottle and do not drink it quickly. Make sure it takes at least one year to finish. You will LOVE the changes it goes through and if you can get past the one year mark with any left, you will be amazed by how smooth, deep and even it gets. If you like Willett, make sure you try both Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. Both of these bottles are go to's for me and I love them. Under the radar and under rated in my estimation, and both produced by Willett.
    https://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/
    Boone County Eighteen 33 from Independence, Kentucky. What a gorgeous bourbon. Bought some in Florence, Kentucky at the Party Town store there. That place is like an amusement park for me. Anyway, the sales guy and I were shooting the shit as I wandered the bourbon aisles (yes, plural!) and he recommended the Boone County to me. WOW! Amazing stuff. I am now desperately trying to get my hands on a bottle of Boone County's White Hall Bourbon Cream, which is supposed to be amazing over ice cream or in coffee. Someone down there please send me a fifth or two!!! I also really want to try their cask strength single barrel version of BC1833! I'm almost out of Boone County so I suppose it's time for that 5 hour drive down I-75 to stock up...
    https://www.boonedistilling.com/
    Eagle Rare is so solid and well priced. A little darker and fuller, but I drink it a lot. A sweeter bourbon that I use a lot to get non-bourbon people on the hook. Made by the famed Buffalo Trace distillery. Their entire family of whiskeys is solid.
    https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/
    Another bourbon that I use for "training wheel" sampling with newbies is Corner Creek. It is very bright on the palate and overall, almost citrusy, and an even handed bottle. Great stuff.
    https://www.cornercreekbourbon.com/
    I used to really like Black Maple Hill but the new offering from Oregon - not Kentucky - doesn't stand up as well to my taste.
    I could go on forever, so I'll stop. LOVE ME SOME BOURBON.
    Happy Sipping!
    Tim in Motown

Thanks for the recommendations! Merry Christmas to me!!

496FEF42-FF7B-4B6C-904C-75A55340A03F (resized).jpeg496FEF42-FF7B-4B6C-904C-75A55340A03F (resized).jpeg
    #389 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

ypurchn In my last four years (since the "shortages" began) of bourbon hunting, I've seen Antique in the wild on four occasions, three of those times they were store picks available for a reasonable price. The other time it was something in the neighborhood of $100-$150. Can't recall exactly, but not a price I was willing to pay. How often do you see it down in Georgia? Weller SR used to be relatively easy to locate, but that's gonna away too as of late. Merry Christmas to all!

I don’t really actively hunt bourbon but if I’m in a different part of town I’ll drop in a liquor store. Finding anything higher than Weller SR on the shelf is unheard of. Even that gets held a lot of times. Most places are up to charging $22-25 for a 750 of SR. Everyone now holds their bottles for regulars. My bottle of antique took me warming up to the liquor store close to my house over the last 6 months. I came in for my usual buy of Very Old Barton’s and he had a bottle of antique for me stashed behind the counter. Paid a stupid premium but I plan on sharing it with my BIL is in town on leave for Christmas.

I find the best stuff in the shiftiest parts of town usually in the worst looking liquor stores. Different clientel more concerned with Mad Dog or Patron so the bourbon will be priced at or very close to MSRP and they’re usually thankful I’m buying it cause it’s covered in dust. Snagged an old labeled Weller SR 6 months ago.

I used to buy Weller SR for ~$12 bottle just 2-3 years ago. I’m ready for the bourbon fad to pass like cigars did a decade ago.

#390 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I don’t really actively hunt bourbon but if I’m in a different part of town I’ll drop in a liquor store. Finding anything higher than Weller SR on the shelf is unheard of. Even that gets held a lot of times. Most places are up to charging $22-25 for a 750 of SR. Everyone now holds their bottles for regulars. My bottle of antique took me warming up to the liquor store close to my house over the last 6 months. I came in for my usual buy of Very Old Barton’s and he had a bottle of antique for me stashed behind the counter. Paid a stupid premium but I plan on sharing it with my BIL is in town on leave for Christmas.
    I find the best stuff in the shiftiest parts of town usually in the worst looking liquor stores. Different clientel more concerned with Mad Dog or Patron so the bourbon will be priced at or very close to MSRP and they’re usually thankful I’m buying it cause it’s covered in dust. Snagged an old labeled Weller SR 6 months ago.
    I used to buy Weller SR for ~$12 bottle just 2-3 years ago. I’m ready for the bourbon fad to pass like cigars did a decade ago.

Reminds me a trip I took to Fredericksburg 3-4 years ago. I was meeting a friend coming down Route 301 from Annapolis. We rendezvoused in the parking lot of a strip mall off 301 on the Maryland side. Left a vehicle in the lot and carpooled over to Virginia; hit a couple of the ABCs, toured a few breweries and a the A. Smith Bowman distillery. All in all, a good day. On the way back, on a whim decided to check out the small mom and pop liquor store in the lot. Found 6 bottles of old label Weller SR on the bottom shelf for I believe $16.99/$17.99 or so. We weren't going to get greedy, grabbed two each, but the owner we clear out the rest of the dustys. Trill of the hunt, generally more affordable than pinball these days.

#391 5 years ago

I made some clear ice cubes to enjoy my bourbon with. Why? Because clear ice cubes are better than cloudy ones!

Happy New Year, y'all!!!

IMG_0363 (resized).JPGIMG_0363 (resized).JPG

#392 5 years ago

So what's Pappy 15 year go for on secondary market now? I have a 2018 Dark Lord Day Handjee (beer, not bourbon) that I've been hoping to trade. I think they go for about $450-500, but not sure if that's same range as Pappy 15 or I should lower my expectations.

#393 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

So what's Pappy 15 year go for on secondary market now? I have a 2018 Dark Lord Day Handjee (beer, not bourbon) that I've been hoping to trade. I think they go for about $450-500, but not sure if that's same range as Pappy 15 or I should lower my expectations.

Seriously? I guess I should start going to DLD, seeing as how it's around the corner from me.

#394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I made some clear ice cubes to enjoy my bourbon with. Why? Because clear ice cubes are better than cloudy ones!
    Happy New Year, y'all!!!
    [quoted image]

How do you get them to stay clear, what’s the secret? I’ve tried, but failed miserably. Clear cubes definitely are the way to go

#395 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

How do you get them to stay clear, what’s the secret? I’ve tried, but failed miserably. Clear cubes definitely are the way to go

There’s a few videos on YouTube. I used a small insulated cooler, took the top off, filled it with water and put it in the freezer for 24 hours. It will then freeze from the top down and not trap any air in the ice. You then remove the ice block — about half the size of the cooler at that point — let it sit for an hour and then cut it into cubes. To cut it, you use a serrated knife to score lines that you then hit with a hammer. I’ll see if I can find the exact video I watched later today.

#396 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Pappy 15 year typically goes for a touch more then then what a Handjee does. You can pick up 2018 Handjee for $400 no problem and in some cases $350 or so. The prices always fall before they start going back up. If you hold it for 3 years it should be worth $550-$750. Personally I'd rather have a solid $150 bottle of bourbon and keep the Handjee.

Quoted from aobrien5:

Seriously? I guess I should start going to DLD, seeing as how it's around the corner from me.

It's pretty hard just to get tickets most years. Generally 1 or 2 of the variants end up bringing that type of money but the variants are randomly distributed so you are more likely to get one worth $150 instead. To get tickets you have to be online with multiple systems trying to get through the que. Internet speed is critical.

#397 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

There’s a few videos on YouTube. I used a small insulated cooler, took the top off, filled it with water and put it in the freezer for 24 hours. It will then freeze from the top down and not trap any air in the ice. You then remove the ice block — about half the size of the cooler at that point — let it sit for an hour and then cut it into cubes. To cut it, you use a serrated knife to score lines that you then hit with a hammer. I’ll see if I can find the exact video I watched later today.

I believe this is the video I watched.

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Pappy 15 goes for between $950-$1,000. The 12 year goes for the range you’re looking at (I have no idea about beer valuations, just going by your numbers).

#399 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Yeah, but like the other poster said, there's probably only one other variant in that range (chem trail mix). You're more likely to get something lesser. But you also get four standard DLDs, and it's a good time. Tickets were $200 last year. Not sure what it'll be this year. I think they expanded and have more space now. You can also take in 72 ounces of beer with you.

#400 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Pappy 15 year typically goes for a touch more then then what a Handjee does. You can pick up 2018 Handjee for $400 no problem and in some cases $350 or so. The prices always fall before they start going back up. If you hold it for 3 years it should be worth $550-$750. Personally I'd rather have a solid $150 bottle of bourbon and keep the Handjee.

Yeah, I hear ya, but I have a hard time opening a beer in that price range knowing I gotta drink it all right away. I'd rather have a comparable-value bourbon that I could enjoy over time. Handjee was great this year, but I prefer the trailmix. And I've never had Pappy 15. Gotta at least see if it's worth the hype if I get a chance.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/8?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.