Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 235.
    #3501 4 years ago

Bada-bing... drink!?

#3502 4 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Bada-bing... drink!?

Cherries!

B0DBDAA2-229D-4E96-825B-1CE485CCFE0E (resized).jpegB0DBDAA2-229D-4E96-825B-1CE485CCFE0E (resized).jpeg
    #3503 4 years ago

Ah ha! Never had those... I’m not a fan of the cherries. I had a candied cherry from an Establishment once that was delish but most I don’t care for much

#3504 4 years ago

Ah ha! Never had those... I’m not a fan of the cherries. I had a candied cherry from an Establishment once that was delish but most I don’t care for much

These cherries will add some zing to your Manhattans!

#3505 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

These cherries will add some zing to your Manhattans!

Maybe I’ll have to try them

#3506 4 years ago

I'm a big fan of 4 roses but I had the small batch last night and just hated it. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me? The single barrel and the barrel proof are fantadtic but a big no-go on that bottle.

#3507 4 years ago

hmmm, 4Rsmb is a blend of 4 of their 10 proprietary recipes...

I believe single barrel is strictly OBSV(?), and single barrel store picks can be any of the 8, in either barrel proof, or proofed down to 100.

I'm guessing you prefer the "v" and "q" yeast strains with their lighter profiles. (My preference as well).

#3508 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I'm a big fan of 4 roses but I had the small batch last night and just hated it. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me? The single barrel and the barrel proof are fantadtic but a big no-go on that bottle.

I had the 4roses single barrel for the first time this weekend. I did not like it. Not terrible.... it didn’t tickle my fancy

#3509 4 years ago

I had the 4roses single barrel for the first time this weekend. I did not like it. Not terrible.... it didn’t tickle my fancy

Interesting indeed you may like the small batch then

#3510 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

hmmm, 4Rsmb is a blend of 4 of their 10 proprietary recipes...
    I believe single barrel is strictly OBSV(?), and single barrel store picks can be any of the 8, in either barrel proof, or proofed down to 100.
    I'm guessing you prefer the "v" and "q" yeast strains with their lighter profiles. (My preference as well).

Yeah I think maybe I do because the single barrel I really enjoy.

#3511 4 years ago

I found this video comparing the Staggs it's pretty interesting you can save yourself some time by jumping to the 17 minute mark to see the results.

#3512 4 years ago

Well I don't have any GTS but I do have some batch 11 of the jr. so I think I will sample some right now.

20200205_140938 (resized).jpg20200205_140938 (resized).jpg
    #3513 4 years ago

By watching that video, I realize, I don't sniff my bourbon nearly enough before drinking it!

#3514 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

By watching that video, I realize, I don't sniff my bourbon nearly enough before drinking it!

Yeah these clowns really make themselves look like they are the end all say alls. Pretty sure they make most of that shit up. I know when i'm chilling with friend or family and we are drinking bourbon none of do any of that crap. We fund the bottle we want to drink, then pour said bottle into a glass. Now the tricky part, we drink that shit and enjoy it.

#3515 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I found this video comparing the Staggs it's pretty interesting you can save yourself some time by jumping to the 17 minute mark to see the results.

Having the bourbon club over Saturday to play my pins, drink my bourbon and have the 2019 GTS/Stagg Jr batch 12 blind tasting throwdown. 24 people so we should have the definitive answer on which is better. I’ve been sitting on a couple unopened 12s and have only had a small nip of my 19 GTS so I’m pretty stoked to see how it shakes out.

#3516 4 years ago

I still have not tried any of the 4 roses yet

#3517 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I still have not tried any of the 4 roses yet

Four roses is worth a taste. I hear mixed feelings about a lot of their whiskeys. Some love it some hate it. I hear it isn’t consistent at times. Try it sometime and judge for yourself. We all have different taste profiles we prefer. Keep sippin!

#3518 4 years ago

Four roses is worth a taste. I hear mixed feelings about a lot of their whiskeys. Some love it some hate it. I hear it isn’t consistent at times. Try it sometime and judge for yourself. We all have different taste profiles we prefer. Keep sippin!

Most of the time even if you put it in front of me and I don't like it I'll still drink it. Can't let it go to waste right

#3519 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Most of the time even if you put it in front of me and I don't like it I'll still drink it. Can't let it go to waste right

I feel the same way brother! I drink my wife’s dislikes too

#3520 4 years ago

Todays stupid Poll question..
    How many bottles of one particular bourbon do you have and is there a limit to how many bottles you should have of a particular bourbon before you become a hoarder?
    The most I have is 6 bottles of the Weller green label and the second most I have is 5 bottles of the Stagg Junior. A lot of the harder to come by Bourbons I just buy them when I see him that way I know I will have a bottle on hand.

#3521 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

How many bottles of one particular bourbon do you have and is there a limit to how many bottles you should have of a particular bourbon before you become a hoarder?
    The most I have is 6 bottles of the Weller green label and the second most I have is 5 bottles of the Stagg Junior. A lot of the harder to come by Bourbons I just buy them when I see him that way I know I will have a bottle on hand.

same. if it is a bottle I really enjoy then 1 open and 4 in reserve is the proper amount for my household (wife and I both enjoy)

if it is a rare to find bottle I enjoy, then I always buy and stock. I would be lucky to have more than 2, but would take more when I find it at retail.

Last is the bottles I buy to try and we have lots of those open at any given time.
    Once we get too many opens, it is time to have a party and host to kill some off.

In our house we like to drink it and not collect or hoard it. Much like pinball, good and rare stuff is meant to be shared. If the 15y pappy is open, then we drink it with minor rationing. Life is way too fucking short. Catching a buzz with friends is important.

#3522 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just let me say, I have zero bottles of Stagg JR and have Never had one (Hint)

#3523 4 years ago

As for the poll: I have two bottles in reserve of only Weller Antique
    Taylor small batch
    Blanton’s
    Any amount over two reserve is hoarding in my book.... but who am I?

#3524 4 years ago

I tend to hoard things I like, especially if I know, or can reasonably estimate, that their scarcity will increase or their quality will decrease.

It's not like it goes bad, or is getting any cheaper in the foreseeable future...

In a lot of ways, I'm a straight "numbers" guy, and they dictate a lot of my purchasing decisions. Was Weller antique a great buy when it was $14.99 a few short years ago? ABSOLUTELY! Was it still a good buy at $24.99? At $29.99? I'd say yes to both. At the new $55 price? I'm probably never buying it again, unfortunately.

That said, I don't let the prices, then, now, or in the future, effect my willingness to drink them. I hear a lot of people say that they don't want to open a prized bottle because they don't know if they will ever be able to find another, or it's commanding a serious price on the secondaries. I think too many people look at this an "investment", and that, in this bourbon connoisseur's opinion, is the reason we have seen the insanity that is bourbon over the last few years. And honestly, I don't see it slowing down any time soon, even with distilleries increasing their capacities. People are simply buying, and I'm assuming, drinking a shitload of bourbon these days. When my wife and I go out to dinner or out for a drink with people who all used to identify as "wine snobs", or "craft beer people", they are all ordering bourbon/bourbon drinks now. I went from getting funny looks and having to explain what was in an old fashioned just a few years ago to young bartenders, to being handed a menu with a dozen selections of bitters and artisanal cherries to add. Interesting times.

#3525 4 years ago

Just let me say, I have zero bottles of Stagg JR and have Never had one (Hint)

Yeah but you have a bottle of Big Boy Stagg

#3526 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I tend to hoard things I like, especially if I know, or can reasonably estimate, that their scarcity will increase or their quality will decrease.
    It's not like it goes bad, or is getting any cheaper in the foreseeable future...
    In a lot of ways, I'm a straight "numbers" guy, and they dictate a lot of my purchasing decisions. Was Weller antique a great buy when it was $14.99 a few short years ago? ABSOLUTELY! Was it still a good buy at $24.99? At $29.99? I'd say yes to both. At the new $55 price? I'm probably never buying it again, unfortunately.
    That said, I don't let the prices, then, now, or in the future, effect my willingness to drink them. I hear a lot of people say that they don't want to open a prized bottle because they don't know if they will ever be able to find another, or it's commanding a serious price on the secondaries. I think too many people look at this an "investment", and that, in this bourbon connoisseur's opinion, is the reason we have seen the insanity that is bourbon over the last few years. And honestly, I don't see it slowing down any time soon, even with distilleries increasing their capacities. People are simply buying, and I'm assuming, drinking a shitload of bourbon these days. When my wife and I go out to dinner or out for a drink with people who all used to identify as "wine snobs", or "craft beer people", they are all ordering bourbon/bourbon drinks now. I went from getting funny looks and having to explain what was in an old fashioned just a few years ago to young bartenders, to being handed a menu with a dozen selections of bitters and artisanal cherries to add. Interesting times.

The only bottle that I have that I have not opened is my Elijah Craig 18-year. The only reason I haven't opened it is because the last bottle I made last four years and haven't had another chance to get one until just a couple of months ago. Bottles like that are hard as hell to come by and I like to have another one in reserve that way I don't feel bad about drinking the other one and it doesn't seem like it's so hard to come by at that point

#3527 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Yeah but you have a bottle of Big Boy Stagg

I do? You’re not not supposed to remember these things

#3528 4 years ago

I’m looking to try some new bourbons. Anyone mind listing out their 3 favorites under $100?

#3529 4 years ago

Old forester single barrel $40
    Elijah Craig barrel proof $80
    Weller special reserve $33

Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I’m looking to try some new bourbons. Anyone mind listing out their 3 favorites under $100?

#3530 4 years ago

I do? You’re not not supposed to remember these things

You mean this bottle of big boy Stagg? Don't worry I don't remember it at all

Screenshot_20200206-151416_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200206-151416_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #3531 4 years ago

A Midwinter Nights Dram $90
    EHT Single Barrel $70
    Stagg Jr. $50

#3532 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

You mean this bottle of big boy Stagg? Don't worry I don't remember it at all [quoted image]

Whooo man! You even had to put the evidence out there like that! Too funny

#3533 4 years ago

Bookers "Country Ham"
    Elijah Craig Barrell Proof
    Old Forrester 1920

#3534 4 years ago

Under $100, most to least expensive.

Bookers
    E.H. Taylor
    Davidson Reserve

#3535 4 years ago

I will be in Ann Arbor MI next week. Any shops to check out? I plan on packing my carry on bag light on the way up so I’ll have plenty of room to load up

#3536 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I always have multiples of things I like. I currently have 14 bottles of Russell’s Reserve single barrel store picks (10 open) and 8 bottles of 4 roses single barrel store picks (all open) which would be the leaders at the moment.

Quoted from Mizzou0103:

3 (4) easily found at most stores that are all delicious:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed (my daily drinker that will always be on my shelf)

Old Forester 1920/1910 -1920 is higher proofed with classic bourbon notes -1910 is a double oaked chocolate bomb that is really growing on me

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof-If you’re into higher proofed/barrel proof bourbons these have been remarkably consistent batch to batch

#3537 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I always have multiples of things I like.

I'm sorry but that was at least 6. Limit it to 3 please.

#3538 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

8 bottles of 4 roses single barrel store picks (all open) which would be the leaders at the moment

Why open all bottles when it’s a store pick? Honest question....

#3539 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Why open all bottles when it’s a store pick? Honest question....

To compare.

Horizontals and Verticals are a fun way to develop your pallet and see what you like.

#3540 4 years ago

This is very very nice.... an absolute bargain at 50 AUD for a litre...

Travel exclusive though

20200207_200405 (resized).jpg20200207_200405 (resized).jpg
    #3541 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

This is very very nice.... an absolute bargain at 50 AUD for a litre...
    Travel exclusive though[quoted image]

I take it that is an export only bottle because I have never heard of that or even seen it anywhere here in the states?

#3542 4 years ago

Its available at duty free stores in Oz and pretty sure in the States as well.

I think it is also available at the distillery. Seriously nice with a nice kick.

#3543 4 years ago

Well of course I needed 2 more bottles. Seriously I needed them!

20200207_110518 (resized).jpg20200207_110518 (resized).jpg
    #3544 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof-If you’re into higher proofed/barrel proof bourbons these have been remarkably consistent batch to batch

Thanks all! I picked up a bottle of the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. I’ve never tried a high proof bourbon. It was super good.

#3545 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well of course I needed 2 more bottles. Seriously I needed them![quoted image]

I’m counting

#3546 4 years ago

Best Rye Whiskies?

#3547 4 years ago

My favs are Driftless Glen and Sazerac. But there are many I haven’t tried.

#3548 4 years ago

I hear Willett Rye is great. I have never found it to buy.

#3549 4 years ago

Me too... im counting on getting 2 more bottles

#3550 4 years ago

Im just not a big fan of the Knob Creek line. This is the only bottle I have it's a 9yr is there a better bottle than this one?

20200207_154627 (resized).jpg20200207_154627 (resized).jpg
    There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.