Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 235.
    #3301 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Seeing as I am the the local bourbon contrarian, do you find enough difference in the single barrel to justify the cost over the regular small batch?
    I LOVE both, but in these parts, the small batch is around $36, and the single is around $70.
    And as previously stated, the once "available if you looked around enough" barrel proof variety has now achieved unicorn status...and for any of the annual varietal releases? You better have a special relationship with your local booze monger if you want to possibly pay retail.
    Cheers!

Yep you are right. Theres a shop by me that has a bottle of the barrel proof and he is asking $139 but i'm not paying that inflated price for it.

#3302 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I personally find small batch to be 'safer', but single barrel is more 'fun' to see what you get.
    Small batch also seems to be smoothed out compared to the complex and punch of a single.
    JMHO
    For the price, small batch is good.
    However, the odd/fun/knowledge that you are drinking from a single barrel is also part of all this.

Small batch comes around here every month or so... haven’t been at the right place at the right time for single barrel.
    The others are unheard of in Ohio

#3303 4 years ago

the small batch is around $36, and the single is around $70.

I have the same pricing around here. I like the Small Batch for $36. I can also find the Straight Rye for $70 from time to time. Never pulled the trigger on it.

#3304 4 years ago

You’ve started something here PinDeLaPin

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #3305 4 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

You’ve started something here pindelapin[quoted image]

Haha i'm a trend setter... Everyone get your bottles out and pour a glass

#3306 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I personally find small batch to be 'safer', but single barrel is more 'fun' to see what you get.
    Small batch also seems to be smoothed out compared to the complex and punch of a single.
    JMHO
    For the price, small batch is good.
    However, the odd/fun/knowledge that you are drinking from a single barrel is also part of all this.

No doubt, but at almost twice the price, I'll stick with gambling on my everyday favorite single barrel product, Eagle Rare. I usually pick a "loser" every time I have sprung for the single barrel Taylor. (Not that it's ever "bad", just not enough difference to justify the cost over the regular small batch).

Being a fanboy of Buffalo Trace Mash #1, I love the little nuances between them, and being able to discern the differences in age/proof/singe barrel-small batch/warehouse.

That said, it's amazing how outside the goal posts from the regular profiles we are all used to, individual barrels can be. Literally two barrels next to another can be completely different (though this usually isn't the case for interior stored barrels, as opposed to barrels stored near walls or the roof)

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Yep you are right. Theres a shop by me that has a bottle of the barrel proof and he is asking $139 but i'm not paying that inflated price for it.

Sadly, that's a good price compared to secondary.

The funny thing to me is the incredible upcharge some of the distilleries charge for their barrel proof offerings. Doing the math, if regular EHTsmb @ 100 proof is $36, the barrel proof should be around $47 for 130 or so proof. But it's not. And I've always found that funny, (as I have gone over ad nauseum in past posts about "bargain barrel proofers") as the distiller doesn't have to add any additional water/steps (that add labor and material costs). Bottling and selling at "barrel proof" actually saves the distiller money. But they don't charge like that...

Sorry for the (usual) rant. Now back to the regularly scheduled bourbon discussion

#3307 4 years ago

Ok i've moved on to winter of 18' stagg jr.

20200121_154020 (resized).jpg20200121_154020 (resized).jpg
    #3308 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Ok i've moved on to winter of 18' stagg jr.[quoted image]

Uhhh I don’t have that

#3309 4 years ago

Uhhh I don’t have that

Son of a bitch we are going to have to coordinate our bottles

#3310 4 years ago

I’ll go with this

#3311 4 years ago

I’ll go with this[quoted image]

Very nice I will go with that one nxt.

#3312 4 years ago

I haven’t seen Fulltilt On here since his birthday. Hope he didn’t drink too much!

#3313 4 years ago

I’m Aaron by the way... I just kind of butted my way into this thread without a formal introduction.

#3314 4 years ago

I haven’t seen fulltilt On here since his birthday. Hope he didn’t drink too much!

Hope he didn't succumb to the pressure and open that bottle of pappy 23 and drink it all.

#3315 4 years ago

I’m Aaron by the way... I just kind of butted my way into this thread without a formal introduction.

Hey thats just the way to do it... throw ur ass into the mix. At least thats pretty much what I did

#3316 4 years ago

yeah Pappy 23 and a bunch of guns.

#3317 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Haha i'm a trend setter... Everyone get your bottles out and pour a glass

It's the only bottle that I buy multiples of when I see it. Passed on a Single Barrel today because I didn't want to pay $80 for it, paid $58 for the last one I got so I have trouble justifying paying too much more than that. I also really like the Small Batch and know of several places that I can get it for under, or right at, $40 so I'm just gonna keep buying that. I've also got a bottle of the Straight Rye here and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so I'll probably grab another soon.

IMG-0085 (resized).jpgIMG-0085 (resized).jpg
    #3318 4 years ago

I’ll go with this[quoted image]

Im catching up to you

20200121_162053 (resized).jpg20200121_162053 (resized).jpg
    #3319 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Im catching up to you[quoted image]

Oh I see what’s happening here

#3320 4 years ago
    #3321 4 years ago

Love it!

#3322 4 years ago

Showoffs!!

#3323 4 years ago

Pretty sure I should try some of yours to make sure its as tasty as mine. We don't want you drinking any that's not up to par

#3324 4 years ago

Ahhhh... it is all in fun. Hell i'm the 1st to share my best shit with all my friends.

#3325 4 years ago

I just haven’t even seen any Weller at all in a long time around here. So glad I like Wild Turkey 101 I can get that everywhere

#3326 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I just haven’t even seen any Weller at all in a long time around here. So glad I like Wild Turkey 101 I can get that everywhere

Where is around here?

#3327 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

same

ZERO Weller and if EHT shows up, it is gone before I ever see it.

#3328 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

same

Thrill of the hunt!

#3329 4 years ago

Sometimes I feel like a crack head hunting for whiskey.... so sad

#3330 4 years ago

Sometimes I feel like a crack head hunting for whiskey.... so sad

You've posted some good bottles so i'm assuming the hunting is going good

#3331 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

You've posted some good bottles so i'm assuming the hunting is going good

It can be. Fortunately I work really really close to a hot spot.

#3332 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

same

Come to the Twin Cities. I know a spot that has a few bottles of EHT single barrel for $80, small batch for $41, and another spot that has the straight rye for $70.

#3333 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:I just haven’t even seen any Weller at all in a long time around here. So glad I like Wild Turkey 101 I can get that everywhere

I’m so glad that I prefer Wild Turkey products over Buffalo Trace. Makes hunting so much easier.

#3334 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m so glad that I prefer Wild Turkey products over Buffalo Trace. Makes hunting so much easier.

Have you had a bottle of Wild Turkey Forgiven? Saw a few at a store today and may go back and grab one, first I've come across it so would love to hear an opinion.

#3335 4 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Have you had a bottle of Wild Turkey Forgiven? Saw a few at a store today and may go back and grab one, first I've come across it so would love to hear an opinion.

?? I thought it was discontinued like 5 years ago. Old stock maybe? I thought it was ok if memory serves me right.

#3336 4 years ago

I did try Baker’s 13 last weekend and I’m not sure if I loved it or it was nasty. Tons of tobacco and leather and some serious funk. Definitely try it if you see it at a bar, it was wild. Edit to add: I think it’s a single barrel so your results may vary.

#3337 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

?? I thought it was discontinued like 5 years ago. Old stock maybe? I thought it was ok if memory serves me right.

Odd, I'm in this store at least twice a month (I sell beer) and have never seen it before. Today they had three bottles. Doesn't seem like the kind of place to hold on to something like this.

#3338 4 years ago

Just cracked into this one...different for sure, I want to say I am picking up a bit of brine from the exposure to sea air. I like it, not love it yet but will see what happens now that it is open and can breath for awhile.

Also have an unopened bottle of Stagg Jr. batch 6 from 2016 132.5 proof...wondering if anyone has an opinion about this batch?

94406E5D-5E12-4D5A-A1BC-4B51EFA3AD0A (resized).jpeg94406E5D-5E12-4D5A-A1BC-4B51EFA3AD0A (resized).jpeg
    #3339 4 years ago

Any opinions on EC Barrel proof? It’s starting to pop up on the OHLQ site.

#3340 4 years ago

Have not tasted myself but this thread has praised it highly, don’t think you can go wrong with that one!

#3341 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Have not tasted myself but this thread has praised it highly, don’t think you can go wrong with that one!

Thanks!

#3342 4 years ago

ECBP is generally an outstanding bourbon. Really hits all the right notes. Caramel and brown sugar, with a nice oaky/vanilla/tannin dry-but-not-too-dry finish. What bourbon should taste like. The "bourboniest" of bourbons if you will.

I've seen it all over price wise here...and it's much more readily available than in the last few years, hardly what I would call "Allocated"; I guess Heaven Hill kept their word in that more ECBP would be available when they removed the 12 year age statement from the regular offering (while the BP still has it...)

Considering the regular offering is around $27 here;

At $49, I'm in, buying multiples.

At $59, I'll maybe buy one if I haven't had the particular batch yet, or it's been difficult to find.

At $69, Nope.

At $79, I'll probably never buy anything from the particular store again out of principle.

#3343 4 years ago

ECBP is generally an outstanding bourbon. Really hits all the right notes. Caramel and brown sugar, with a nice oaky/vanilla/tannin dry-but-not-too-dry finish. What bourbon should taste like. The "bourboniest" of bourbons if you will.
    I've seen it all over price wise here...and it's much more readily available than in the last few years, hardly what I would call "Allocated"; I guess Heaven Hill kept their word in that more ECBP would be available when they removed the 12 year age statement from the regular offering (while the BP still has it...)
    Considering the regular offering is around $27 here;
    At $49, I'm in, buying multiples.
    At $59, I'll maybe buy one if I haven't had the particular batch yet, or it's been difficult to find.
    At $69, Nope.
    At $79, I'll probably never buy anything from the particular store again out of principle.

Thanks! I’ll be searching today to see if I can score some

#3344 4 years ago

Just another day out on the search for good Bourbons

20200122_091258 (resized).jpg20200122_091258 (resized).jpg
    #3345 4 years ago

Might be time for a tasting

1723AB82-6ABE-4437-A932-04DF6C3645F4 (resized).jpeg1723AB82-6ABE-4437-A932-04DF6C3645F4 (resized).jpeg
    #3346 4 years ago

I love living vicariously through you guys and your pics.

#3347 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I love living vicariously through you guys and your pics.

Thats what we are here for

#3348 4 years ago

First time having the ECBP. It is quite lovely.

#3349 4 years ago

My local store has Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit single barrel. I've never tried either. Should I try one or both or neither. Price is similar on both.

#3350 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

My local store has Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit single barrel. I've never tried either. Should I try one or both or neither. Price is similar on both.

If you have the money for both you should get them! I prefer Rare Breed but Kentucky Spirit is also good. I wish it still came in the cool fan tail bottle.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.