Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 235.
    #201 5 years ago

Not genuine bourbon per se, but this is smooth and tasty!

20180527_192744 (resized).jpg20180527_192744 (resized).jpg

#202 5 years ago

OK, I'll bite here.

First off, let me say that I have been a professional brewer for 20 years. My career had been good to me and I have had a wonderful time in the beer business. It does tend to make me very obsessive about beer and spirits so I apologize for the length of this post and any vibe of "lecturing" that comes off it. I just love booze. Booze pays my bills. Booze also buys me coil sleeves, solder and playfield rubber, haha.

Before I was hooked on beer, though, I was hooked on bourbon. My Dad is a true bourbon guy and we always had it around our house. White Label Beam has always been his go to (and mine as well) but the years have found him regularly acquiring a bottle of this or that which has led to some great tasting moments. In my family - including my very large Polish side (Dad's side) - births, deaths, marriages, sports championships and just about any other occasion you can think of have been marked by rounds of shots.

Anyway, bourbon...

First off, I always suggest to people to ease up on the "more expensive is better" idea. While you will generally find smoother and more complex bourbons as you climb the price ladder, you can always find great bourbon at a decent price. I remember when I had Pappy Van Winkle for the first time. Mostly, I was glad that I wasn't the one who had paid for the bottle. Is it great? Yes, I suppose. Is it worth the price? Not in my book it's not. No way. I can list many bourbons that I have had for $25 - $60 that I have enjoyed as much and most often more than Pappy. If you like it and you buy it, that's fine. I don't think you're wrong or stupid or whatever. I just don't think the liquor stands up to the mystique. For my money, it is better to pay attention to proof, ageing time and whether the place you are buying your sauce from is involved in the entire production process. Many houses simply buy young white liquor from someone else (often a very well known place in Indiana) and then just barrel age it and put their name on it. Many fine bourbons are made this way, but I tend to prefer houses that select grist, mash, ferment, distill and age all on their own.

I usually have at least a dozen bourbons on hand at any given time. On pinball nights with the fellas, I like to pour out 4-6 of them in glencairn glasses and then we sample around them and debate merits. Some like them spicy, some hot, some mellow, some sweeter. I love that. There is no right or wrong, just personal taste. I also love setting up "blind" flights with numbers corresponding to the different sample glasses. That way, price point and distillery are removed from the tasters' minds and they often surprise themselves by what they actually like the most. Want to prove to yourself that price is only part of the process? Let someone else pour out 4 to 6 of your bourbons from your coillection and NOT tell you what they are. Sample away "blind " and see what happens!

Some of my personal faves in no particular order:

Willett, for my money, makes some great bourbons. I absolutely LOVE the Pot Still Reserve. Try this one: buy a bottle and do not drink it quickly. Make sure it takes at least one year to finish. You will LOVE the changes it goes through and if you can get past the one year mark with any left, you will be amazed by how smooth, deep and even it gets. If you like Willett, make sure you try both Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. Both of these bottles are go to's for me and I love them. Under the radar and under rated in my estimation, and both produced by Willett.
    https://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/

Boone County Eighteen 33 from Independence, Kentucky. What a gorgeous bourbon. Bought some in Florence, Kentucky at the Party Town store there. That place is like an amusement park for me. Anyway, the sales guy and I were shooting the shit as I wandered the bourbon aisles (yes, plural!) and he recommended the Boone County to me. WOW! Amazing stuff. I am now desperately trying to get my hands on a bottle of Boone County's White Hall Bourbon Cream, which is supposed to be amazing over ice cream or in coffee. Someone down there please send me a fifth or two!!! I also really want to try their cask strength single barrel version of BC1833! I'm almost out of Boone County so I suppose it's time for that 5 hour drive down I-75 to stock up...
    https://www.boonedistilling.com/

Eagle Rare is so solid and well priced. A little darker and fuller, but I drink it a lot. A sweeter bourbon that I use a lot to get non-bourbon people on the hook. Made by the famed Buffalo Trace distillery. Their entire family of whiskeys is solid.
    https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/

Another bourbon that I use for "training wheel" sampling with newbies is Corner Creek. It is very bright on the palate and overall, almost citrusy, and an even handed bottle. Great stuff.
    https://www.cornercreekbourbon.com/

I used to really like Black Maple Hill but the new offering from Oregon - not Kentucky - doesn't stand up as well to my taste.

I could go on forever, so I'll stop. LOVE ME SOME BOURBON.

Happy Sipping!

Tim in Motown

#203 5 years ago

Pretty sure this was just Makers neat, can't remember. That's either good or bad...

Resized_20180521_214014 (resized).jpegResized_20180521_214014 (resized).jpeg
    #204 5 years ago

@SilverBallKid. The boone distillery is literally on the same street as my works shop. Strangely enough..I haven't tried it yet.. but I totally agree with the Rowsns and Noahs.. great stuff

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallKid:

OK, I'll bite here.
    First off, let me say that I have been a professional brewer for 20 years. My career had been good to me and I have had a wonderful time in the beer business. It does tend to make me very obsessive about beer and spirits so I apologize for the length of this post and any vibe of "lecturing" that comes off it. I just love booze. Booze pays my bills. Booze also buys me coil sleeves, solder and playfield rubber, haha.
    Before I was hooked on beer, though, I was hooked on bourbon. My Dad is a true bourbon guy and we always had it around our house. White Label Beam has always been his go to (and mine as well) but the years have found him regularly acquiring a bottle of this or that which has led to some great tasting moments. In my family - including my very large Polish side (Dad's side) - births, deaths, marriages, sports championships and just about any other occasion you can think of have been marked by rounds of shots.
    Anyway, bourbon...
    First off, I always suggest to people to ease up on the "more expensive is better" idea. While you will generally find smoother and more complex bourbons as you climb the price ladder, you can always find great bourbon at a decent price. I remember when I had Pappy Van Winkle for the first time. Mostly, I was glad that I wasn't the one who had paid for the bottle. Is it great? Yes, I suppose. Is it worth the price? Not in my book it's not. No way. I can list many bourbons that I have had for $25 - $60 that I have enjoyed as much and most often more than Pappy. If you like it and you buy it, that's fine. I don't think you're wrong or stupid or whatever. I just don't think the liquor stands up to the mystique. For my money, it is better to pay attention to proof, ageing time and whether the place you are buying your sauce from is involved in the entire production process. Many houses simply buy young white liquor from someone else (often a very well known place in Indiana) and then just barrel age it and put their name on it. Many fine bourbons are made this way, but I tend to prefer houses that select grist, mash, ferment, distill and age all on their own.
    I usually have at least a dozen bourbons on hand at any given time. On pinball nights with the fellas, I like to pour out 4-6 of them in glencairn glasses and then we sample around them and debate merits. Some like them spicy, some hot, some mellow, some sweeter. I love that. There is no right or wrong, just personal taste. I also love setting up "blind" flights with numbers corresponding to the different sample glasses. That way, price point and distillery are removed from the tasters' minds and they often surprise themselves by what they actually like the most. Want to prove to yourself that price is only part of the process? Let someone else pour out 4 to 6 of your bourbons from your coillection and NOT tell you what they are. Sample away "blind " and see what happens!
    Some of my personal faves in no particular order:
    Willett, for my money, makes some great bourbons. I absolutely LOVE the Pot Still Reserve. Try this one: buy a bottle and do not drink it quickly. Make sure it takes at least one year to finish. You will LOVE the changes it goes through and if you can get past the one year mark with any left, you will be amazed by how smooth, deep and even it gets. If you like Willett, make sure you try both Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. Both of these bottles are go to's for me and I love them. Under the radar and under rated in my estimation, and both produced by Willett.
    https://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/
    Boone County Eighteen 33 from Independence, Kentucky. What a gorgeous bourbon. Bought some in Florence, Kentucky at the Party Town store there. That place is like an amusement park for me. Anyway, the sales guy and I were shooting the shit as I wandered the bourbon aisles (yes, plural!) and he recommended the Boone County to me. WOW! Amazing stuff. I am now desperately trying to get my hands on a bottle of Boone County's White Hall Bourbon Cream, which is supposed to be amazing over ice cream or in coffee. Someone down there please send me a fifth or two!!! I also really want to try their cask strength single barrel version of BC1833! I'm almost out of Boone County so I suppose it's time for that 5 hour drive down I-75 to stock up...
    https://www.boonedistilling.com/
    Eagle Rare is so solid and well priced. A little darker and fuller, but I drink it a lot. A sweeter bourbon that I use a lot to get non-bourbon people on the hook. Made by the famed Buffalo Trace distillery. Their entire family of whiskeys is solid.
    https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/
    Another bourbon that I use for "training wheel" sampling with newbies is Corner Creek. It is very bright on the palate and overall, almost citrusy, and an even handed bottle. Great stuff.
    https://www.cornercreekbourbon.com/
    I used to really like Black Maple Hill but the new offering from Oregon - not Kentucky - doesn't stand up as well to my taste.
    I could go on forever, so I'll stop. LOVE ME SOME BOURBON.
    Happy Sipping!
    Tim in Motown

Nice write up! Totally agree about Willet. Even when you pour a glass of the pot still reserve, the taste transforms from the first sip to the last, becoming smoother and more full bodied. It is a great bourbon. And I also agree about the Eagle Rare. One of the best buys out there for the price. I’ll have to search for the Boone County. I don’t believe I’ve ever tried it.

#206 5 years ago

Finally got my hands on some Rock Hill Farms. It’s pretty special stuff.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I don't know if any of you guys have tried this stuff but it's excellent and from Taiwan. They tried to replicate Scottish whiskey and they did a hell of a job. Anything from this company is outstanding. My wife is from Taiwan so I have been there many times and happened on this place by accident. A lot of expensive stuff for an up an coming company but it all tastes great so how can I argue.
    [quoted image]

My wife also is from Taiwan. I visited Taipei and Wu Lai with her a few years back. Really cool country.
    Have you found these in the states or do you pick them up while there?

#208 5 years ago

Just picked up something new. Amador Double Barrel. Very tasty. Sweet and smooth.

2 weeks later
    #209 5 years ago

New one for me. Let's see how it is.

15357646623005855180003404626447 (resized).jpg15357646623005855180003404626447 (resized).jpg
    #210 5 years ago

A fine choice! Like that glass too - I need to get a few for some serious bourbon appreciation.

#211 5 years ago

The glasses actually do make a difference!

And yes, the Basil is delicious

#212 5 years ago

No doubt - I need a vessel that traps each spirit's unique essence more for fuller olfactory enjoyment!

#213 5 years ago

Really smooth, although it’s only 80 proof. Basil is the reason I started drinking Bourbon.

#214 5 years ago

don't know if someone has mentioned this one yet, but a nice, powerful sipper w a unique taste

barrel (resized).jpgbarrel (resized).jpg
    #215 5 years ago

keep running into these, so I keep buying them. Delicious.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #216 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

don't know if someone has mentioned this one yet, but a nice, powerful sipper w a unique taste
    [quoted image]

Heard good things about Barrell, just not in any of the local shops. Each release is unique sourced barrel strength IIRC. I'm a fan of 107 proof!

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

keep running into these, so I keep buying them. Delicious.
    [quoted image]

EHT Single Barrel is harder to come by these days. I'd do the same. What's everyone hunting this year, now that the season is upon us? I'm on the lookout for Weller CYPB and BTAC-though I probably missed the Weller train.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

EHT Single Barrel is harder to come by these days. I'd do the same. What's everyone hunting this year, now that the season is upon us? I'm on the lookout for Weller CYPB and BTAC-though I probably missed the Weller train.

That is the good stuff - good luck.

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

I’m going hunting tomorrow since BT just dropped a bunch of bottles into the Chicago area. I have a lead on CYPB and 12 but I’m not too optimistic. I’ve completely given up on BTAC. Too many flippers are ruining it for the drinkers.

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

That is the good stuff - good luck.

Sometimes you've got to treat yourself. Besides, it's (generally) cheaper and easier to store than a pin. My current daily sippers are Evan Williams Bib, Turkey 101 (always in season), or OGD 114.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m going hunting tomorrow since BT just dropped a bunch of bottles into the Chicago area. I have a lead on CYPB and 12 but I’m not too optimistic. I’ve completely given up on BTAC. Too many flippers are ruining it for the drinkers.

I'm patiently waiting for the calls from my buddies or my honey holes. My last score (first release EHT Four Grain) from a honey hole, they really came through for me. All about developing relationships and supporting the local guys! Good luck on the bourbon hunt this season to all my pin brethren.

KIMG1273 (resized).jpgKIMG1273 (resized).jpg
    #222 5 years ago

Cool. My daily is typically Woodford Double Oaked, Eagle Rare, or Four Roses SB.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

I'm patiently waiting for the calls from my buddies or my honey holes. My last score (first release EHT Four Grain) from a honey hole, they really came through for me. All about developing relationships and supporting the local guys! Good luck on the bourbon hunt this season to all my pin brethren.
    [quoted image]

That’s quite the score, congrats! The 4G is outstanding.
    Also agree about the local honey hole relationships. Most of the good stuff never even hits the shelves anymore.

1 week later
    #224 5 years ago

I picked this up at an auction recently. I'm not a huge Bourbon guy but I've heard really good things about Pappy Van Winkle and apparently it's really tough to find so I thought I'd grab it...

Pappy (resized).JPGPappy (resized).JPG
    #225 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

I picked this up at an auction recently. I'm not a huge Bourbon guy but I've heard really good things about Pappy Van Winkle and apparently it's really tough to find so I thought I'd grab it...
    [quoted image]

Yeah - I think I heard somewhere that this is pretty good too.

How much did you end up grabbing it for?

#226 5 years ago

I got it for $275. I expected it to go for more based on prices I've seen online but that's as high as the bidding went...

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

I got it for $275. I expected it to go for more based on prices I've seen online but that's as high as the bidding went...

That is a steal for that bottle.

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

That is a steal for that bottle.

Second that.

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

[quoted image]

Imho, lot Bis th best of all the pappys. I have had them all multiple times and will take the tweleve over everything else.

#230 5 years ago

George Dickel for me the 8 or 12 year are both great imo.

images (2) (resized).jpegimages (2) (resized).jpegimages (3) (resized).jpegimages (3) (resized).jpeg
    #231 5 years ago

Sorry double post

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

[quoted image]

Good buy

#233 5 years ago

my collection of whisky has certainly hindered my buying power of pinball machines....that and the room my collection takes up is another story. You can check out my collection here www.theApothecaryPub.com - this is my home bar and I was tired of updating my paper menu so I decided to create my own website instead.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from saucerman:

You can check out my collection here www.theApothecaryPub.com - this is my home bar and I was tired of updating my paper menu so I decided to create my own website instead.

Holy crap - that is one impressive collection and bar! Nice website too - good info. Thanks for sharing!

Love the bar's construction history and additional pics at the linked imgur post too.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from HisboyElroy:

[quoted image]

You scored a great bourbon with this one. When I cracked this bottle my brother, nephew and I were all saying 'wow'. You really taste the barrel more so than other whiskeys. Sadly it is almost gone, but I have a Pappy 15 yet to open. So is it worth the crazy prices these command? Probably not for most, but you took this one for a decent price as far as these go. Enjoy!

#236 5 years ago
    Quoted from saucerman:

my collection of whisky has certainly hindered my buying power of pinball machines....that and the room my collection takes up is another story. You can check out my collection here www.theApothecaryPub.com - this is my home bar and I was tired of updating my paper menu so I decided to create my own website instead.

When is the pinball and burb get to gether?

#237 5 years ago

Very Old Barton is the new Weller. $30 for a handle and mixes great. Weller has gotten crazy here. It’s great but at $50 a bottle I’ll drink Makers or Jack Single

Ancient Ancient Age 10 has taken the place of jack. $17 for a 750 can’t beat that.

7825A921-0457-401A-9444-35B3722803B5 (resized).jpeg7825A921-0457-401A-9444-35B3722803B5 (resized).jpeg
    #238 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Very Old Barton is the new Weller. $30 for a handle and mixes great. Weller has gotten crazy here. It’s great but at $50 a bottle I’ll drink Makers or Jack Single
    Ancient Ancient Age 10 has taken the place of jack. $17 for a 750 can’t beat that.
    [quoted image]

I picked up 4 bottles of Weller special reserve for 18 bucks a bottle in Austin TX a few months ago at a Total Wine - and kept 2 and gave 2 to my brother. It's great for 20 - 25 bucks, but 50 is too much.

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I picked up 4 bottles of Weller special reserve for 18 bucks a bottle in Austin TX a few months ago at a Total Wine - and kept 2 and gave 2 to my brother. It's great for 20 - 25 bucks, but 50 is too much.

Total wine is great for not marking up their merch but I try to support local stores when they’re close in price. My local guys know if they get out of line I’ll go to Total Wine.
    If you ever get time to talk to a small liquor store owner it’s crazy the stuff they go through to try to bring in something that is hot like Weller or Blantons.

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Holy crap - that is one impressive collection and bar! Nice website too - good info. Thanks for sharing!
    Love the bar's construction history and additional pics at the linked imgur post too.

thanks...yeah it's hard to leave the house sometimes....

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

When is the pinball and burb get to gether?

almost every night

#242 5 years ago

I like a variety of bourbons depending on my mood (I have tried many). My favorite by far is Rock Hill Farms (very hard to get). It is the same mash bill as Blanton's and Elmer T Lee but spicier. My goto value for the money is Evan Williams Single Barrel. I included some bar pictures of my Man Cave that has a separate Pinball and Boardgames area.

IMG_2789 3 (resized).jpgIMG_2789 3 (resized).jpgIMG_3567 (resized).jpgIMG_3567 (resized).jpg
    #243 5 years ago
    Quoted from bmunn1:

I like a variety of bourbons depending on my mood (I have tried many). My favorite by far is Rock Hill Farms (very hard to get). It is the same mash bill as Blanton's and Elmer T Lee but spicier. My goto value for the money is Evan Williams Single Barrel. I included some bar pictures of my Man Cave that has a separate Pinball and Boardgames area.[quoted image][quoted image]

You have inspired me!! Seriously, I'm currently planning a new wet bar/game room in a carport that I'll be closing in, and I want my bar to look like yours! A slightly smaller scale due to square footage available, but similar layout. Looks very relaxing

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from bmunn1:

I like a variety of bourbons depending on my mood (I have tried many). My favorite by far is Rock Hill Farms (very hard to get). It is the same mash bill as Blanton's and Elmer T Lee but spicier. My goto value for the money is Evan Williams Single Barrel. I included some bar pictures of my Man Cave that has a separate Pinball and Boardgames area.[quoted image][quoted image]

Bad ass looking bar man - very cool!

#245 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Bad ass looking bar man - very cool!

Thanks a lot!

1 month later
    #246 5 years ago

Anything new in the bourbon world?

#247 5 years ago

Having some IW Harper 15 year and some blackened salmon for dinner tonight. A few games on my D&D later after midnight too. Cheers!

20181024_214423 (resized).jpg20181024_214423 (resized).jpg
    #248 5 years ago
    Quoted from VampireKangaroo:

Having some IW Harper 15 year

got a bottle of that when I was out east this summer and it was so good it lasted a whole 3 days.

Sadly cant find it anywhere here in the midwest so far...

#249 5 years ago

I got a bottle of IW Harper from my local Binny’s, and I have to admit, not all that impressed. Thought it was really overpriced for an 86 proof bourbon.
    Got my hands on some Weller 12 and Blanton’s, and I like both of those way more.
    And keep watch out at the local liquor stores...Pappy is coming......

#250 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

I got a bottle of IW Harper from my local Binny’s, and I have to admit, not all that impressed. Thought it was really overpriced for an 86 proof bourbon.
    Got my hands on some Weller 12 and Blanton’s, and I like both of those way more.
    And keep watch out at the local liquor stores...Pappy is coming......

I’ve given up of the unicorns like Pappy, WLWeller, Stagg etc. and focus on Blanton’s, Elmer T., W12, Rock Hill Farms and the like. I’ve overpaid trying all the unicorns at restaurants and bars and was underwhelmed for the price. Give me a couple fingers of Elmer T Lee or EH Taylor neat and I’m a happy man.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/5?hl=luckycreature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.