Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 235.
    #1601 4 years ago

Added Linux dual boot to my MacBook Pro. Toast!
    (I got too much time on my hands...)

75F126D7-AF71-40AB-82EE-8090E1668F8F (resized).jpeg75F126D7-AF71-40AB-82EE-8090E1668F8F (resized).jpeg

#1602 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Added Linux dual boot to my MacBook Pro. Toast!
    (I got too much time on my hands...)
    [quoted image]

Damn Don you really are suffering from boredom! At least your palette isn't suffering along side you since old Sam is keeping you company.

#1603 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I like it as well, BUT it needs a couple of ice cubes to really open up.

Thanks for the tip!

#1604 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Picked up a few things on my recent trip to Kentucky. Tried to (mostly) buy things that aren't available around me (like Ale-8!). (And the handles of WT101 were $33--how could I say no?)
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Some nice bottles there. Where did you find the Makers 101? I thought that was an export only.

#1605 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Where did you find the Makers 101? I thought that was an export only.

Got that here on the shelves along with the cask strength.

#1606 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Got that here on the shelves along with the cask strength.

Really? Hmmm...never seen it here, I must be mistaken.

#1607 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Some nice bottles there. Where did you find the Makers 101? I thought that was an export only.

I got it at the MM gift shop, where I thought it was the only place that it was available (but apparently not). For $50 (1L), I think it was worth picking up. I did the whole touristy thing of dipping my own bottle. Looks pretty sweet, agreed?

I certainly have never seen it around me, for sure.

#1608 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Really? Hmmm...never seen it here, I must be mistaken.

I could be wrong. I'll try to sneak a pic next time in the store. (:

#1610 4 years ago

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25189/lot/323/

Just in case someone has 3/4 of a million lying around...

#1611 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25189/lot/323/
    Just in case someone has 3/4 of a million lying around...

Holy crap!! Those are cool looking, what a collection.

#1612 4 years ago

Overpriced? You bet your ass. You only live once. And because I love Wild Turkey.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #1613 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I like it as well, BUT it needs a couple of ice cubes to really open up.

You were absolutely correct. Ice does open this up. This is fantastic!

@pindelapin, you called it that this good. I personally like it better than Stagg Jr, for about the same proof, but that is just me. I will have to run back to the other county to load up. There, the ABC stores are run by the county so they get great allocations and purchase power.

#1614 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Overpriced? You bet your ass. You only live once. And because I love Wild Turkey.[quoted image]

checking overpriced tomorrow 0_0

#1615 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Overpriced? You bet your ass. You only live once. And because I love Wild Turkey.[quoted image]

Haven't seen that one yet. Are you saving it for a rainy day or did you crack her open and take her for a test drive?

#1616 4 years ago

Following up on some of that over priced stuff... but it sure is fun!

IMG_6140 (resized).jpegIMG_6140 (resized).jpeg

#1617 4 years ago

Damn that one is $110 locally here! Is it worth it? The tasting notes on Total Wine are "Intense, Butterscotch, Caramel" which makes it tempting to try.

#1618 4 years ago

I tend to stick to the tried and true. I've been burned a couple of times buying a "vanity" bottle only to find out it is "sourced" and not as the label represents the contents. Been picking up more scotch then Bourbon as of late because I like to know what I'm buying.

#1619 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Damn that one is $110 locally here! Is it worth it? The tasting notes on Total Wine are "Intense, Butterscotch, Caramel" which makes it tempting to try.

It's a pretty damn good kick butt Texas bourbon.... $110 good only you can say. (:
    I'm not too good at tasting notes. I never could find the chocolate and tobacco in my Pinot Noir.

#1620 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Haven't seen that one yet. Are you saving it for a rainy day or did you crack her open and take her for a test drive?

Put it in the bunker for a special occasion.

#1621 4 years ago

Been milking this guy for over a year. Solid. 131 proof piece of caramel.
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1622 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashsmith:

I tend to stick to the tried and true. I've been burned a couple of times buying a "vanity" bottle only to find out it is "sourced" and not as the label represents the contents. Been picking up more scotch then Bourbon as of late because I like to know what I'm buying.

I definitely do research now, because damn it seems like 90% of whiskey's are just sourced with a fresh story added to them. I mean i don't necessarily mind if it's sourced if it's good, but some transparency would be nice!

Quoted from Fulltilt:

It's a pretty damn good kick butt Texas bourbon.... $110 good only you can say. (:
    I'm not too good at tasting notes. I never could find the chocolate and tobacco in my Pinot Noir.

Yeah me too I'm terrible with tasting notes. The "intense" part is what interested me as I've been looking into trying stronger stuff, so I'll probably grab a bottle next time I'm at the store. Not sure if I'm ready for Chisox's 131 proof just yet though...

Meanwhile someone on my Twitch stream recommended I try this one so I did, very mild for a 90 proof but I like it!
    booze (resized).jpgbooze (resized).jpg

#1623 4 years ago

I couldn’t look at it on the shelf any longer.

Happy bourbon day to me.
    Another one for the cellar. (:

12EB33C4-E744-4682-AF4A-3D77294CF367 (resized).jpeg12EB33C4-E744-4682-AF4A-3D77294CF367 (resized).jpeg

#1624 4 years ago

Quoted from Fulltilt:I couldn’t look at it on the shelf any longer.
    Happy bourbon day to me.
    Another one for the cellar. (:
    [quoted image]

What time should I swing by to help you out with that bottle? It' s just not fair to the group that your not good with the tasting notes. Do with that i'm gonna bite the bullet and help you drink it so you can post an accurate review..

#1625 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Been milking this guy for over a year. Solid. 131 proof piece of caramel.
    [quoted image]

Can't believe you were able to keep that bottle for a year. I love that one and usually kill a bottle a month. I have a shop that still sells it for $58 a bottle so I always grab 2 at a time. Never paid any attention but theres a big difference in proofs the one on the left is 135 and one on right is 127.

20190818_171003 (resized).jpg20190818_171003 (resized).jpg
    #1626 4 years ago

All of these bottles are long gone but this is the 12-year Elijah Craig that they pulled off the market about three years ago. I stocked up when I heard they were ceasing production and I'm just down to three bottles of it now it's amazingly good stuff.

20190818_171057 (resized).jpg20190818_171057 (resized).jpg
    #1627 4 years ago

Show your Jim Beam stash.

FA3D7D70-F51B-4523-9E96-0252194F290B (resized).jpegFA3D7D70-F51B-4523-9E96-0252194F290B (resized).jpeg

#1628 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

All of these bottles are long gone but this is the 12-year Elijah Craig that they pulled off the market about three years ago. I stocked up when I heard they were ceasing production and I'm just down to three bottles of it now it's amazingly good stuff.[quoted image]

“Big Red Elijah Craig”, aka, 12 year front age stated EC with the big red font was my absolute favorite regularly available bourbon for a long time. It was the epitome of Heaven Hill’s flavor profile; buttery, rich, caramel, brown sugar, and baking spices.

People joke about drinking alcoholic beverages for breakfast, but I would cut it 50/50 with homemade maple syrup, and serve it on pancakes during camping/hunting/fishing trips. I’d paint ribs with the same mixture as a finishing glaze. God damn was it good.

I’ve got maybe a case and a half left in the bunker, and it makes me sad, as it truly was the best “all-around” bourbon, especially considering it’s $20-24 price.

If you told me even 5 years ago that 12 year age stated bourbon would be a rarity under $100, I would have laughed in your face. I can’t even really think of one now that I mention it...other than the barrel proof version of EC that has somehow still managed to keep its age statement. (W12 being scarcer than hen’s teeth in these parts, and when seen in retail establishments, priced at secondary or higher...)

#1629 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

What time should I swing by to help you out with that bottle? It' s just not fair to the group that your not good with the tasting notes. Do with that i'm gonna bite the bullet and help you drink it so you can post an accurate review..

Ok,..Andreus and Silverball City is hosting the next pinball mafia meet on 9.26, Pin and food. I'll throw in the bourbon!
    oh baby,,,

#1630 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

“Big Red Elijah Craig”, aka, 12 year front age stated EC with the big red font was my absolute favorite regularly available bourbon for a long time. It was the epitome of Heaven Hill’s flavor profile; buttery, rich, caramel, brown sugar, and baking spices.
    People joke about drinking alcoholic beverages for breakfast, but I would cut it 50/50 with homemade maple syrup, and serve it on pancakes during camping/hunting/fishing trips. I’d paint ribs with the same mixture as a finishing glaze. God damn was it good.
    I’ve got maybe a case and a half left in the bunker, and it makes me sad, as it truly was the best “all-around” bourbon, especially considering it’s $20-24 price.
    If you told me even 5 years ago that 12 year age stated bourbon would be a rarity under $100, I would have laughed in your face. I can’t even really think of one now that I mention it...other than the barrel proof version of EC that has somehow still managed to keep its age statement. (W12 being scarcer than hen’s teeth in these parts, and when seen in retail establishments, priced at secondary or higher...)

Yep after they took the 12yr statement off the front which was stupid they still carried it over on the back of the bottle.

20190819_071046 (resized).jpg20190819_071046 (resized).jpg
    #1631 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Show your Jim Beam stash.
    [quoted image]

Well thats one hell of a collection of bookers. These are the only 4 different products I have from Jim Beam. Could have swore I had 2 bittles of Bookers but can't find it. Must have tied one on and drank it all I guess, better get me a replacement bottle. The Jim Beam single barrel is really good stuff that I really enjoy.

20190819_072348 (resized).jpg20190819_072348 (resized).jpg
    #1632 4 years ago

I scooped many (and drank all of them) rear age stated, and bunkered the remaining front age stated I had/found in the wild...

It's the morning as I type this, and just thinking about that delicious juice makes me want to pour a glass. It really was the "bourboniest of bourbons; the quintessential bourbon flavor".

Of all the label changes/brands disappearing, the loss of this one was the saddest. If I could only have one bourbon from here on out, it would be the old EC12.

#1633 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I scooped many (and drank all of them) rear age stated, and bunkered the remaining front age stated I had/found in the wild...
    It's the morning as I type this, and just thinking about that delicious juice makes me want to pour a glass. It really was the "bourboniest of bourbons; the quintessential bourbon flavor".
    Of all the label changes/brands disappearing, the loss of this one was the saddest. If I could only have one bourbon from here on out, it would be the old EC12.

I tend to have to agree with this statement. It was a fabulous 12yr bourbon and for $26 a bottle it was a no brainer. Sure as hell wish I had bought much more of it.

#1634 4 years ago

Ok so it's not the barrel proof, but wanted to give the 94 proof a try after the chatter here. Got it for $25 at my local grocery store and it's pretty good! Admittedly now it makes me wanna try the cask strength version. I feel like I need to do a taste test of whiskeys in this price rage, maybe put this against Woodford Reserve, Larceny, and others in the $25 range.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190819160716893_COVER (resized).jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190819160716893_COVER (resized).jpg

#1635 4 years ago

Was able to pick up a bottle of Booker's online yesterday for $88.00. Never had it because I have never seen it anywhere to buy it. Not sure if that was a good price. Also found some Eagle Rare another bottle that I have never seen that is common in other areas. I have to hustle to get a bottle of Regular Buffalo in my area.

#1636 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashsmith:

Was able to pick up a bottle of Booker's online yesterday for $88.00. Never had it because I have never seen it anywhere to buy it. Not sure if that was a good price. Also found some Eagle Rare another bottle that I have never seen that is common in other areas. I have to hustle to get a bottle of Regular Buffalo in my area.

Not a bad Booker's price. It's generally going for $80-$83 locally. It's so good I'd take it easily at the $88.

#1637 4 years ago

Picked this up on Pinside recommendation... that could be a HUGE mistake..... LOL!

IMG_6151 (resized).jpegIMG_6151 (resized).jpeg

#1638 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Picked this up on Pinside recommendation... that could be a HUGE mistake..... LOL!
    [quoted image]

I'm guessing only a moderate mistake? Let us know.

#1639 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

[quoted image]

I like their stuff, even though it’s probably overpriced. I’ve ripped through 3 bottles of the rye over the past couple of years and really enjoyed them. Cheers.

#1640 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

It is advertised as "Wise Man's Bourbon." What could possibly go wrong?

#1641 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I like their stuff, even though it’s probably overpriced. I’ve ripped through 3 bottles of the rye over the past couple of years and really enjoyed them. Cheers.

I was so focused on picking up that bottle of Jim Beam that I overlooked how high the price was of that Kentucky Owl. When it was rung up, I felt that wallet sting... Oh well, it's only bourbon! (:

#1642 4 years ago

Ok so it's not the barrel proof, but wanted to give the 94 proof a try after the chatter here. Got it for $25 at my local grocery store and it's pretty good! Admittedly now it makes me wanna try the cask strength version. I feel like I need to do a taste test of whiskeys in this price rage, maybe put this against Woodford Reserve, Larceny, and others in the $25 range.
    [quoted image]

I think the regular EC is excellent. Great bourbon for the price range. The fact that you got it for $25 is even better. It is $38 at all my local stores.

#1643 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

[quoted image]

Looking forward to getting your opinion on this one. I really enjoy it and it has really become a go to on fridays.

#1644 4 years ago

Well to hell with it all it is time for a drink.

20190820_132938 (resized).jpg20190820_132938 (resized).jpg
    #1645 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Ok,..Andreus and Silverball City is hosting the next pinball mafia meet on 9.26, Pin and food. I'll throw in the bourbon!
    oh baby,,,

man I miss getting to go to Silverball City. I was working at the Eastman site for a few months and I'd stay in JC so I could be closer to Silverball.

#1646 4 years ago

Well yolo as the kids say, went to a tiny store walking distance from home and bought these. Sonoma Bourbon is my favorite drink so had to restock on that, and decided to give some cask strength stuff a try. Sonoma Bourbon was $40, Stagg Jr was $90 (ouch) and Elijah Craig was $100 (ouch again). Definitely splurge booze but wanted to try it.

Have to say the Elijah is glorious, the "intense" definition of its flavor is quite correct, like this one! The regular 94 proof is a better bang for the buck and is plenty good, but this one does take it up to that other notch.

The Stagg Jr, hmm, I'm not sure. It's no where as intense as the EJ and has quite a different flavor from anything I've tried. Palettes change so I'll see if I grow into this one over time, right now I'm kinda so/so on it but always happy to try new stuff.

The store told me they select their own barrels of cask strength Old Forrester and Whistle Pig, I'll pass on the pig because I'm not into high rye but I'll give the Old Forrester a chance at some point when they get them.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190820175504027_COVER (resized).jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190820175504027_COVER (resized).jpg
    #1647 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

not a bourbon but, i picked up a bottle of the woodford reserve wheat whiskey today. anyone give it a try yet?[quoted image]

cracked this open last weekend on a mountain trip with some buddies. Very drinkable and smooth. Had the taste of woodford with a wheater smoothness. Sorry, my pallet isn't refined enough to tell you if it has "hints of nutmeg" or "notes of coriander" or "homeless guy's sock sweat". It drank well and that's all I care about.

#1648 4 years ago

Well yolo as the kids say, went to a tiny store walking distance from home and bought these. Sonoma Bourbon is my favorite drink so had to restock on that, and decided to give some cask strength stuff a try. Sonoma Bourbon was $40, Stagg Jr was $90 (ouch) and Elijah Craig was $100 (ouch again). Definitely splurge booze but wanted to try it.
    Have to say the Elijah is glorious, the "intense" definition of its flavor is quite correct, like this one! The regular 94 proof is a better bang for the buck and is plenty good, but this one does take it up to that other notch.
    The Stagg Jr, hmm, I'm not sure. It's no where as intense as the EJ and has quite a different flavor from anything I've tried. Palettes change so I'll see if I grow into this one over time, right now I'm kinda so/so on it but always happy to try new stuff.
    The store told me they select their own barrels of cask strength Old Forrester and Whistle Pig, I'll pass on the pig because I'm not into high rye but I'll give the Old Forrester a chance at some point when they get them.[quoted image]

Welcome to barrel strength bourbon! Once you get a taste for it, nothing under 110 proof will satisfy you anymore. I’m only kind of kidding. That’s batch 11 from Stagg Jr. which I found benefitted from a couple weeks of decanting. I’ve had many debates regarding Stagg Jr./EC BP and people tend to have a strong preference of one over the other. Those prices are a tick high but as you said YOLO. Enjoy.

#1649 4 years ago

The store told me they select their own barrels of cask strength Old Forrester and Whistle Pig, I'll pass on the pig because I'm not into high rye but I'll give the Old Forrester a chance at some point when they get them.[quoted image]

ECBP is great. But it’s price tag per proof is not. I saw a spreadsheet a while ago that broke down the price per proof of cask strength offerings compared to their regular versions, and was quite shocked actually.

Stagg Jr, when found at $50, is a great deal, MMCS at $45 is too. Technically, Jefferson’s at sea cask strength is as well, because there is a $5 markup over the regular version (though I would never recommend either at their price points).

Old grand dad 114, while technically not “barrel proof”, kicks ass at its $24 price. Once you make a julep or old fashioned with ogd114, chances are, you’ll never want to use anything else.

WT101, despite its “low” proof, is also close to a barrel proof offering because of the low entry proof to the barrels; very little water is added to proof it down to 101 (see rare breed, which is a true “barrel proof” offering, and is usually seen at a high proof point of about 113ish max).

That said, enjoy what you enjoy, but don’t be afraid of the lower shelf, legacy high proofers, you might just be surprised.

*tips back a glencairn of the final pour of a maker’s 46 cask strength a buddy brought back from the distillery...

Cheers!

#1650 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Sorry, my pallet isn't refined enough to tell you if it has "hints of nutmeg" or "notes of coriander" or "homeless guy's sock sweat". It drank well and that's all I care about.

Lmfao thanks for that, very funny and so true of whisky, beer, cigars... not good at those tasting notes either, I just know what tastes good to me and I go get more!

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.