Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 235.
    #1101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

On the group’s suggestion.
    Sweet!!

I like hoppy beers but I kinda want to buy this. The bourbon thread is so much livelier than the beer thread.

#1102 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

That price is for Blantons.... To find it at retail in my area seems very unlikely.

Price I found today was $64.99.
    First time I have found it out in the wild around here.
    I ran around to several of the stores just to make sure there wasn’t a distributor dump locally.

#1103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

The Old Ezra 7 is good but Imuch prefer the 1920. I would put the OE 7 ahead of the 1910 as I’m not a huge fan of double oaked bourbon, although I do like one glass on occasion. The1920 is a very complex whiskey with the perfect amount of heat served neat for at me 115 proof. I’m a huge fan.

Totally agree. Old Ezra is just ok for me but that OF 1920 is just damn good!

#1104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I don’t know how to answer. I hate hoppy beers.

That's my bad. I thought the sarcasm was big with that statement, but i guess it wasn't.

#1105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

Sorry for the confusion. That price is for Blantons. Its approx $20 per bottle over retail. To find it at retail in my area seems very unlikely.

Only you know how much 1k means to you. I don't think a $20 markup is that bad for someone else doing all the legwork. Blantons is about $63 at the absolute cheapest when you find it on the shelf, which is not often. My BIL found it at a boutique liquor store for $70 and happily paid that.

PA got a shipment a couple weeks ago - looked like 600 bottles total and you could watch it online as it hit the shelves in western PA and moved east. Probably 50% sold day 1, 80% day 2, then almost all gone on day 3. By day 4 it was really only available for licensees or random 1 off bottles in rural places too far to drive.

I grabbed two bottles a couple months ago from the West Grove store and the clerk remarked how lucky I was - apparently the same customer would come in and buy all 6 bottles every time their allotment arrived.

#1106 4 years ago

So my wife really isn't into pinball. Hasn't been for the 22 years I've been doing this.

But she does have a taste for bourbon and came home from shopping with these two this week.

Latest Bourbon (resized).JPGLatest Bourbon (resized).JPG
    #1107 4 years ago
    Quoted from hank35:

That's my bad. I thought the sarcasm was big with that statement, but i guess it wasn't.

No, it was caught. I thought mine was too!
    One of my mini-brew friends likes to make triple IPAs... I've tried to like them....

#1108 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Only you know how much 1k means to you. I don't think a $20 markup is that bad for someone else doing all the legwork. Blantons is about $63 at the absolute cheapest when you find it on the shelf, which is not often. My BIL found it at a boutique liquor store for $70 and happily paid that.
    PA got a shipment a couple weeks ago - looked like 600 bottles total and you could watch it online as it hit the shelves in western PA and moved east. Probably 50% sold day 1, 80% day 2, then almost all gone on day 3. By day 4 it was really only available for licensees or random 1 off bottles in rural places too far to drive.
    I grabbed two bottles a couple months ago from the West Grove store and the clerk remarked how lucky I was - apparently the same customer would come in and buy all 6 bottles every time their allotment arrived.

I got Blanton’s everywhere down here. Priced anywhere between $59-70. If you need some let me know.

#1109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

One of my mini-brew friends likes to make triple IPAs... I've tried to like them....

I've had over 50 different IPA's, and I'm always searching for my next favorite. With that said, there are more bad IPA's out there than good, so don't give up.
    Triples are a little to sweet for me. I like the grapefruit / piney variety. If that's your style, try Fuego from Tonewood. If you can't find that one, give anything from Southern Tier a try. Lagunitas makes a lot of good ones too.

#1110 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I got Blanton’s everywhere down here. Priced anywhere between $59-70. If you need some let me know.

Well "@$%"... that's all you had to say. Send one on down!

negro (resized).jpgnegro (resized).jpg

#1111 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

If this is an open offer and you’re serious send me a PM with a price list and I will order a few from you.

#1112 4 years ago

Help me help you! Never shipped alcohol before. I have no problem filling orders for people. What guidelines and legalities do I need to be concerned with? Once we figure this out I’ll gladly ship out requests.

#1113 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Help me help you! Never shipped alcohol before. I have no problem filling orders for people. What guidelines and legalities do I need to be concerned with? Once we figure this out I’ll gladly ship out requests.

Get a good sturdy box and some bubble wrap. Bring it down to your local shipper and throw a label on there. I've done it before with no questions asked.

#1114 4 years ago

To all that inquired about Blanton's. Standby. I'm going to scoop up a couple of bottles this weekend and perform one shipping test with the first person who contacted me. If all goes well I will let everyone know.

Also, I just spoke to a liquor store owner who told me they ordered a private barrel of Blanton's. He will have it in 3 weeks. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it 100% identical to Blanton's, but just re-labeled for his store?

#1115 4 years ago

For the private barrels, basically a store buys the entire barrel to sell. Its their "personal" barrel. Nobody else gets it. Its pretty common these days to see them.

#1116 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrewNinja:

For the private barrels, basically a store buys the entire barrel to sell. Its their "personal" barrel. Nobody else gets it. Its pretty common these days to see them.

Our local liquor superstore labels them "barrel select". My understanding is they actually sampled barrels at the distillery and picked one they liked. I got a Buffalo Trace barrel select that was excellent a couple of years ago and went back and bought another one. I'd like to think if the store actually gets to sample and select, and the person doing the evaluating has a good palate, you can end up with something more special than the standard offering.

#1117 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

To all that inquired about Blanton's. Standby. I'm going to scoop up a couple of bottles this weekend and perform one shipping test with the first person who contacted me. If all goes well I will let everyone know.
    Also, I just spoke to a liquor store owner who told me they ordered a private barrel of Blanton's. He will have it in 3 weeks. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it 100% identical to Blanton's, but just re-labeled for his store?

I hope the shipping test goes well! Let me know if you are able to send more!

#1118 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Did you get my reply?

#1119 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Add me to the list, please

#1120 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Did you get my reply?

Yes

Also ypurchn will be the first guinea pig, followed by you.

#1121 4 years ago

So, just for fun tonight I decided to stop in a few liquor stores on my hour long drive home from work. NOTE - none of these liquor stores are ones I ever go to. First time visits just to see their offerings. Here is what i discovered.

Stop 1 - 2 bottles Blanton’s @ $69 each

Stop 2 - 4 bottles Blanton’s @ $79. This place also has old forester 1920 prohibition, 2 @ $59 each

Stop 3 - old forester 1920 prohibition, 6 bottles @ $59 each

Stop 4 - 1 Blanton’s $69

Stop 5 - weller 107 for $150 (I’ve never seen this locally, mind you I’m new to the bourbon world, 6 months under my belt). So not sure if this price is high or low.

#1122 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

So, just for fun tonight I decided to stop in a few liquor stores on my hour long drive home from work. NOTE - none of these liquor stores are ones I ever go to. First time visits just to see their offerings. Here is what i discovered.
    Stop 1 - 2 bottles Blanton’s @ $69 each
    Stop 2 - 4 bottles Blanton’s @ $79. This place also has old forester 1920 prohibition, 2 @ $59 each
    Stop 3 - old forester 1920 prohibition, 6 bottles @ $59 each
    Stop 4 - 1 Blanton’s $69
    Stop 5 - weller 107 for $150 (I’ve never seen this locally, mind you I’m new to the bourbon world, 6 months under my belt). So not sure if this price is high or low.

That is a ridiculous price for OWA 107. It is a nice bourbon, but my last bottle cost around $30 if I recall. It is a shame the way some of these bourbons spike like that. Supply and demand, what are you gonna do. Really quite 'the man' for offering to score the Blanton's for people, most would never bother do that for a stranger. I still have my empty bottle in the cabinet because it looks too cool to throw out. I haven't noticed a bottle in a local store in quite some time but haven't really been looking either.

#1123 4 years ago

Left or Right?

A5E8D38B-AEC2-4E41-BAA4-0ABAA5EC8779 (resized).jpegA5E8D38B-AEC2-4E41-BAA4-0ABAA5EC8779 (resized).jpeg
    #1124 4 years ago

right

#1125 4 years ago

Swipe right.

#1126 4 years ago

If you’re shipping boubon I would use USPS as there’s been some confiscated bottles lately by UPS and Fedex. Lots of bubble wrap and newspaper/peanuts. It’s also advisable to parafilm the horse. Awesome that you’re doing this djreddog for the Blanton’s guys.

#1127 4 years ago

Another one bites the dust. Another so-so bottle that I probably won’t be buying again. Bottle is kickass though.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #1128 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

If you’re shipping boubon I would use USPS

I'm not 100% sure but a quick check of the internet says that shipping via USPS isn't allowed. USPS doesn't allow any alcohol shipments. UPS and Fed-Ex have a license to ship alcohol but you're supposed to declare that you're shipping alcohol so they can ensure that the shipment is signed for by an adult. If I were to ship alcohol I would not use USPS.

#1129 4 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I'm not 100% sure but a quick check of the internet says that shipping via USPS isn't allowed. USPS doesn't allow any alcohol shipments. UPS and Fed-Ex have a license to ship alcohol but you're supposed to declare that you're shipping alcohol so they can ensure that the shipment is signed for by an adult. If I were to ship alcohol I would not use USPS.

It’s illegal for individuals to ship alcohol period. Distributors and liquor stores can ship to individuals with a signature on delivery in certain states. My state Illinois is a no shipping state because all the distributors are deep in the politician’s pockets.

#1130 4 years ago

Speaking of so-so whiskey, just tried this one and it's, well, so-so just like the Freedom Whiskey. Part of the problem could be because I tried these after The Burning Chair whiskey which I thought was great, so these other two bottles didn't stand a chance.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190601175836909_COVER (resized).jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190601175836909_COVER (resized).jpg
    #1131 4 years ago

I’m sure i’ve posted this before but all you Blanton’s fans should try this. It’s the same mashbill and distilled at Buffalo Trace. It’s BIB so it’s a bit ballsier than Blanton’s and I think it’s a better whiskey. Just make sure you get the single barrel. It’s about $50.

#1132 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m sure i’ve posted this before but all you Blanton’s fans should try this. It’s the same mashbill and distilled at Buffalo Trace. It’s BIB so it’s a bit ballsier than Blanton’s and I think it’s a better whiskey. Just make sure you get the single barrel. It’s about $50.[quoted image]

on my lookout list for my run on Monday.

#1133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

It’s illegal for individuals to ship alcohol period.

That’s the rulez. It’s prohibition lite.

#1134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

It’s illegal for individuals to ship alcohol period. Distributors and liquor stores can ship to individuals with a signature on delivery in certain states. My state Illinois is a no shipping state because all the distributors are deep in the politician’s pockets.

That is not true and actually often exactly backwards. It is illegal to ship alcohol via the USPS period. It is often illegal for distributors and liquor stores to ship to individuals (depending on the state), but an individual may ship to another individual via UPS or FedEx. You just can’t make a profit doing it.

#1135 4 years ago
    Quoted from middaleman:

That is not true and actually often exactly backwards. It is illegal to ship alcohol via the USPS period. It is often illegal for distributors and liquor stores to ship to individuals (depending on the state), but an individual may ship to another individual via UPS or FedEx. You just can’t make a profit doing it.

I would love to be wrong on this one. But go to a fedex and tell them you’re shipping whiskey to a buddy and I’m not sure they’ll let you. Again, I hope you’re right.

#1136 4 years ago

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/alcohol/shipping-requirements.html

"Consumers may not ship alcohol of any type via FedEx services."

#1137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I would love to be wrong on this one. But go to a fedex and tell them you’re shipping whiskey to a buddy and I’m not sure they’ll let you. Again, I hope you’re right.

FedEx has a policy to not ship alcohol unless you register with them as a shipper and declare it alcohol. But it isn't illegal. Tell them it's anything you want. I usually say "collectibles" or "glass items". Same with UPS.

Just make sure you aren't shipping it to a minor. I don't recommend shipping alcohol to someone you don't know personally.

#1138 4 years ago

Oh, and BTW, it's fun reading all the things you guys have to go through to get bottles we can find on the shelf anytime.

If you only knew the stuff we keep for ourselves...

#1139 4 years ago
    Quoted from middaleman:

Oh, and BTW, it's fun reading all the things you guys have to go through to get bottles we can find on the shelf anytime.

Can we talk about you being a Pinside member for 15 YEARS and 3 of your 6 posts EVER are in this thread and in the last 24 hours? I’m amazed. Did you realize your keyboard was simply unplugged these last 15 years?

#1140 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Can we talk about you being a Pinside member for 15 YEARS and 3 of your 6 posts EVER are in this thread? I’m amazed.

You should read his threads on BourbonSide... LoL

#1141 4 years ago
    Quoted from middaleman:

IMG_6459.GIFIMG_6459.GIF
    #1142 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Can we talk about you being a Pinside member for 15 YEARS and 3 of your 6 posts EVER are in this thread and in the last 24 hours? I’m amazed. Did you realize your keyboard was simply unplugged these last 15 years?

How can that be? I didn’t think Pinside has been around for 10, much less 15 years.

#1143 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m sure i’ve posted this before but all you Blanton’s fans should try this. It’s the same mashbill and distilled at Buffalo Trace. It’s BIB so it’s a bit ballsier than Blanton’s and I think it’s a better whiskey. Just make sure you get the single barrel. It’s about $50.[quoted image]

Can’t find it. My stops don’t carry it. They can’t move the lower grade Bowman’s so they won’t stock the higher $ bottles...

Local dump of Angels Envy Rye saw 8 bottles today across 2 stores.

#1144 4 years ago

Our selection of bourbon is quite limited in Alabama, so I picked up a bottle of WhistlePig 6-Year Rye while I was at the Flora-Bama on vacation. Anybody have any experience with this? I've heard good things about WhistlePig.

#1145 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I've never seen that around here either. Anything from Buffalo Trace is pretty good.

#1146 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Our selection of bourbon is quite limited in Alabama, so I picked up a bottle of WhistlePig 6-Year Rye while I was at the Flora-Bama on vacation. Anybody have any experience with this? I've heard good things about WhistlePig.

I like Whistle Pig. So much I put some up for safe keeping a while back... but keep sippin' on the Stagg.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I like Whistle Pig. So much I put some up for safe keeping a while back...

Yeah. That's probably how I would guard a bottle of Boss Hog.

#1148 4 years ago

I just went ahead and picked up another bottle of this stuff. For only $24 a bottle around here it's one hell of a deal

20190611_155127 (resized).jpg20190611_155127 (resized).jpg
    #1149 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

For only $24 a bottle around here it's one hell of a deal

It's a "steal" if it's good. I just had to say that....

#1150 4 years ago

As a die hard Hawks fan it kills me to say this but...let’s go Blues? Yuck. I picked them to win it all in a pool so I have my reasons. 1600 of them actually and that would get me a lot of great bourbon. Or maybe a decent early solid state pin.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/23?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.