Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 235.
    #11601 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I received my certification through the court of master sommeliers.

DANG! That's crazy. The only testing locations I can find now are in Seoul, Korea.
    That's one exclusive group! Surely you didn't have to travel that far or maybe you did??

#11602 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I received my certification through the court of master sommeliers.

That’s awesome, perhaps we need a pinball and wine thread also. What are some of your favorite west coast red wines?

#11603 3 years ago

Corn

#11604 3 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

I worked with that manatee for 14 years.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #11605 3 years ago
    Quoted from mjsbowl:

How a manatee relaxes...
    [quoted image]

“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

#11606 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

bluto2 (resized).jpgbluto2 (resized).jpg

#11607 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

That’s awesome, perhaps we need a pinball and wine thread also. What are some of your favorite west coast red wines?

There are tons. Some of my current favorite up-and-comers are:
    Elouan reserve pinot noir, Long shadows (they have several excellent wines, I particularly enjoy pirouette and sequel), Austin hope cabernet, daou reserve cabernet, and essentially anything from Orin swift.

If you are looking for great all-time wines without price restrictions...2016 Georges de Latour Private Reserve, 2017 opus one, 2015 scarecrow, 2013 caymus, 2013 harlan estate, 2016 lokoya mt veeder

#11608 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Elouan reserve pinot noir, Long shadows (they have several excellent wines, I particularly enjoy pirouette and sequel), Austin hope cabernet, daou reserve cabernet, and essentially anything from Orin swift.

Is it just me or is the world of wine far more complex than the world of bourbon? So many vinyards and producers that it gets lost, in my simple mind.
    How do you keep up with who's what in the wine world?

Bourbon seems easy in comparison. I know Buffalo Trace and the lineage, we can follow Dickel products, Daniels branches...

How the heck do you follow all the vinyard producers? It's like Micro Breweries.

#11609 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Is it just me or is the world of wine far more complex than the world of bourbon? So many vinyards and producers that it gets lost, in my simple mind.

The world of wine definitely is broader and perhaps more complex than world of bourbon, but some wine areas, wineries and winemakers consistently produce fantastic wines and become the high-end names. I also keep an eye on expert reviews and recommendations, James Suckling is my favorite. What’s great is that you can find fantastic wines in all price ranges, from few tens of bucks to thousands (not that I’ve ever had a four figure wine, but maybe one day). Wine is like bourbon though, before you know it you have more bottles you know what to do with...

#11610 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

If you are looking for great all-time wines without price restrictions...2016 Georges de Latour Private Reserve, 2017 opus one, 2015 scarecrow, 2013 caymus, 2013 harlan estate, 2016 lokoya mt veeder

Thanks, I’ve had many on your list and agree with those. A few new ones to hunt down and try, which is always appreciated

#11611 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

How do you keep up with who's what in the wine world?
    Bourbon seems easy in comparison. I know Buffalo Trace and the lineage, we can follow Dickel products, Daniels branches...
    How the heck do you follow all the vinyard producers? It's like Micro Breweries.

It is FAR more complex than bourbon. Not even close. I certainly don't claim to know everything, but I do seem to have an affinity for it...so I remember things fairly easily. It is definitely a continued education project. There is always something new.

#11612 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

That’s awesome, perhaps we need a pinball and wine thread also.

I agree totally. Without the OP to this thread, it really seems pointless these days.
    Makes me kinda' ill ever time I click on it and see "Whysnow" as the thread OP. Really sad at this point.

Kinda' done.
    Lock it down or bring him back.

#11613 3 years ago

All of this talk about ryes and Manhattans...i made sure to pop open a bottle of Old Overholt. This is really a classic gem. It doesn't have the marketing of other spirits, which is great because so many people somehow still don't know about it (despite it being the oldest whiskey continually made in the USA, since 1810), but it is just terrific.

If you don't have a bottle of it in your liquor cabinet, go buy it. Immediately. It is cheap. Too cheap.

#11614 3 years ago

I have moved from old overholt to one of my current bourbon favorites (noahs mill). My tolerance is pretty ridiculous these days...

20210118_013953 (resized).jpg20210118_013953 (resized).jpg
    #11615 3 years ago

There was only one left and I’ve never had it before so figured I better take it home with me...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #11616 3 years ago

Could someone please briefly describe Whysnow’s offense that got him banned

#11617 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Could someone please briefly describe Whysnow’s offense that got him banned

My understanding is the conversation in the American pinball thread (with 2-3 employees) where he mentioned problems was viewed as trolling because he wouldn’t elaborate. I think that past ‘offenses’ may have made it the straw that broke the camel’s back.

#11618 3 years ago

But what do I know? I enjoy pot-stirrers because I feel like its good for us. Too sensitive.

#11619 3 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

My understanding is the conversation in the American pinball thread (with 2-3 employees) where he mentioned problems was viewed as trolling because he wouldn’t elaborate

So it was an on topic conversation?

#11620 3 years ago
    Quoted from mjsbowl:

So it was an on topic conversation?

In my opinion yes.

#11621 3 years ago

In my opinion, Whysnow’s banning for what happened in the AP thread was unwarranted. I believe that people were looking for a way to try and get rid of him, and viewed this as an opportunity to do so. He was banned without any notice. This was a chickenshit move. I know that he can be a polarizing figure but having gotten to know him over the past year I consider him a good man and a good friend.

This thread has become a farce. We had a very vibrant community in this thread that whysnow pulled together. When he was banned without warning, the core group of people left this thread and we have taken this community somewhere else. People are coming here to try and get the scoop on what happened to Hilton and why people left. You have some people desperately trying to keep the thread going to perpetrate that all is well. It is not. It is all very transparent and fake.

Numerous of us have asked this particular thread to be shut down since the OP of it is banned. We fully support creating a new thread and charting a new course. But without whysnow, it is time to shut this one down.

#11622 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I was asked to post some clarification on the Whysnow account ban. Please note that this was not an action by one moderator, but a decision made by the whole moderation team.
    -stats removed-
    I don't interfere with moderation too much (as I have my hands full with keeping everything else running), but this ban decision was definitely run by me and considering the above stats and the unanimous moderators vote (via an anonymous poll), I gave the go ahead.
    So there you have it. If you have concerns or things to say about this, feel free to PM me!

Robin posted this a few days ago.

#11623 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

In my opinion, Whysnow’s banning for what happened in the AP thread was unwarranted. I believe that people were looking for a way to try and get rid of him, and viewed this as an opportunity to do so. He was banned without any notice. This was a chickenshit move. I know that he can be a polarizing figure but having gotten to know him over the past year I consider him a good man and a good friend.
    This thread has become a farce. We had a very vibrant community in this thread that whysnow pulled together. When he was banned without warning, the core group of people left this thread and we have taken this community somewhere else. People are coming here to try and get the scoop on what happened to Hilton and why people left. You have some people desperately trying to keep the thread going to perpetrate that all is well. It is not. It is all very transparent and fake.
    Numerous of us have asked this particular thread to be shut down since the OP of it is banned. We fully support creating a new thread and charting a new course. But without whysnow, it is time to shut this one down.

We can create another thread if that is the consensus of the group. Bourbonology, all whiskeys welcome, and Bourbon and scotch were some titles thrown out before.

#11624 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

We can create another thread if that is the consensus of the group. Bourbonology, all whiskeys welcome, and Bourbon and scotch were some titles thrown out before.

Up to you.

#11625 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Your call.

#11626 3 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

My understanding is the conversation in the American pinball thread (with 2-3 employees) where he mentioned problems was viewed as trolling because he wouldn’t elaborate.

Trolling is a way of life on Pinside. Couldn't be that.

#11627 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Trolling is a way of life on Pinside. Couldn't be that.

Some people are allowed more of a lane than others.

#11628 3 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Some people are allowed more of a lane than others.

True 'dat.

#11630 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

How about: Why Bourbon Now

#11631 3 years ago

I know it makes me a monster, but I still feel that Old Forrester is the best tasting bourbon you can get for the price, even over Elijah.

#11632 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

I know it makes me a monster, but I still feel that Old Forrester is the best tasting bourbon you can get for the price, even over Elijah.

I like white dress shoes!

#11633 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I received my certification through the court of master sommeliers. I do work with the food/beverage industry, and there has certainly been a hit to it, unfortunately. I am lucky to have a nice position with a company I have been with for years, however.
    I took the tests in person, and while I believe there are some online tests available from other certifying companies, I don't believe CMS offers them since there are some components that they insist on doing in person...and they are the GOLD standard for accreditation in the industry.

That is awesome!! Any recommendations for peppery Zinfandels?

#11634 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

Which one? I like 1920

#11635 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

That is awesome!! Any recommendations for peppery Zinfandels?

2018 Brandlin Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel is tremendous with a fantastic peppercorn finish.

Limerick Lane is producing some of the best zinfandels made. Absolutely worth getting into for any Zin fan. They have numerous vintages and styles worth cellaring.

If you don't mind red blends, I highly recommend 8 years in the desert by Orin Swift. It is a zinfandel dominant blend with secondary and tertiary varietals of syrah and petit sirah, respectively. Dave Phinney is the winemaker behind it. He is widely considered the best red blend maker in the world.

#11636 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

I always see Old forester but have only tried a store barrel pick which was good. Which do you think is the best tasting?

#11637 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

2018 Brandlin Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel is tremendous with a fantastic peppercorn finish.
    Limerick Lane is producing some of the best zinfandels made. Absolutely worth getting into for any Zin fan. They have numerous vintages and styles worth cellaring.
    If you don't mind red blends, I highly recommend 8 years in the desert by Orin Swift. It is a zinfandel dominant blend with secondary and tertiary varietals of syrah and petit sirah, respectively. Dave Phinney is the winemaker behind it. He is widely considered the best red blend maker in the world.

Oh man. You are right. Way over my bourbon head. And I’m too drunk now given my birthday. I’d love to know more when I sober up.

#11638 3 years ago

For wines, I like:
    Mogen David Blackberry
    Blue Nun Rivaner
    Lindemans Porphyry Blanc
    Vang Dalat Red
    Whispers Strawberry Spumante

Skol!

#11639 3 years ago

Boone’s Farm got me arrested by Marvin Mo fuggin’ Hardison when I was 16. For a little Boone’s Farm in Snoopy’s Pizza. WTF.

#11640 3 years ago

It occurs to me that before very recently, i don't recall ever talking wine with anyone on here. There isn't a wine thread, so I never brought it up.

Perhaps I should start a wine thread...

#11641 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It occurs to me that before very recently, i don't recall ever talking wine with anyone on here. There isn't a wine thread, so I never brought it up.

Absolutely!!

#11642 3 years ago

For wines I like:
    Kuchikamizake
    Ttongsul
    Edelfoule
    Pruno

Yра!

#11643 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Ok. I started one.

I expect to see all of you there!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-things-wine-thread#post-6081802

#11644 3 years ago

Now that you got your wish, it’s time to shut this one down.

#11647 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Which one? I like 1920

Quoted from jathomp22:

I always see Old forester but have only tried a store barrel pick which was good. Which do you think is the best tasting?

Honestly, You can't go wrong with any of their offerings - Most of their stuff has more of the vanilla/cinnamon/caramel taste to it.
    Right now i'm working on the signature bottle
    https://www.target.com/p/old-forester-100p-straight-bourbon-whisky-750ml-bottle/-/A-53281099?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012732781&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9021431&targetid=pla-401598542364&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB1VRNC4DBQsMTUh90BH8Yn85TKJ-_yn33QnYJlbwDkdY891yasALcBoCr34QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's a pistol allright, but not too hot to daily sip.

#11649 3 years ago

I got a blister from opening my wine!

#11650 3 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

[quoted image]
    I got a blister from opening my wine!

On your asshole?

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/233?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.