Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 230 of 235.
    #11451 3 years ago
    Quoted from smcclain65:

I keep seeing this around. How was it?

Sad to say, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day

I will say that I looked through this thread before pulling the trigger to see if anyone else had tried it and liked it. It seemed like it was getting decent reviews here so I went ahead and bought it. The place I got it from has a small bar/tasting area, and much of what they get goes to the bar, so if it's anything decent, and he has anything that he isn't putting into his bar, it goes pretty quickly.

I'll also say that I'm not one of those guys that can smell fresh farm air on the nose and taste leather and sweat socks while drinking it. I either like it, or I don't, so that's all you're likely to get from me

#11452 3 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Sad to say, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day
    I will say that I looked through this thread before pulling the trigger to see if anyone else had tried it and liked it. It seemed like it was getting decent reviews here so I went ahead and bought it. The place I got it from has a small bar/tasting area, and much of what they get goes to the bar, so if it's anything decent, and he has anything that he isn't putting into his bar, it goes pretty quickly.
    I'll also say that I'm not one of those guys that can smell fresh farm air on the nose and taste leather and sweat socks while drinking it. I either like it, or I don't, so that's all you're likely to get from me

If you ever taste sweat socks it’s likely you’re not drinking bourbon

#11453 3 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

If you ever taste sweat socks it’s likely you’re not drinking bourbon

Good point. It was meant to be funny and it's a line I use all the time when talking bourbon with the guys that can actually taste rose petals, lavender and a hint of cocoa and fresh apple peels. Unfortunately, for me, I don't really smell or taste any of the things that people seem to be able to smell and taste when drinking bourbon. I really wish I could, but I can't. So for me, I smell it and if it doesn't burn my nose hairs out, that's a good start. Then I taste it and I try to note things about it but generally don't get anything specific, and then I swallow and note how long the burn is.

So, as an uncultured swine drinking bourbon, about all you're going to get from me is "I like it" or "I don't like it" Generally speaking, I like most bourbon and I've only ever poured out one bottle as it was just vile. It smelled bad, tasted worse, and was just awful. To make sure I wasn't having a moment, I tried it again a few days later and confirmed by first impression. To make matters worse, I gave a bottle of it to a co-worker in a bourbon exchange while on travel for work. I hadn't tried it before giving it to her. She called and asked if I had tried it yet and when I said I had and that it was the worst thing I've ever drank, she said "thank God, as I was thinking the same thing and didn't want to hurt your feelings"

Anyway, I shall endeavor to try it soon and report back with my simple findings...

#11454 3 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Good point. It was meant to be funny and it's a line I use all the time when talking bourbon with the guys that can actually taste rose petals, lavender and a hint of cocoa and fresh apple peels. Unfortunately, for me, I don't really smell or taste any of the things that people seem to be able to smell and taste when drinking bourbon. I really wish I could, but I can't. So for me, I smell it and if it doesn't burn my nose hairs out, that's a good start. Then I taste it and I try to note things about it but generally don't get anything specific, and then I swallow and note how long the burn is.
    So, as an uncultured swine drinking bourbon, about all you're going to get from me is "I like it" or "I don't like it" Generally speaking, I like most bourbon and I've only ever poured out one bottle as it was just vile. It smelled bad, tasted worse, and was just awful. To make sure I wasn't having a moment, I tried it again a few days later and confirmed by first impression. To make matters worse, I gave a bottle of it to a co-worker in a bourbon exchange while on travel for work. I hadn't tried it before giving it to her. She called and asked if I had tried it yet and when I said I had and that it was the worst thing I've ever drank, she said "thank God, as I was thinking the same thing and didn't want to hurt your feelings"
    Anyway, I shall endeavor to try it soon and report back with my simple findings...

What was the bourbon you didn't like?

#11455 3 years ago

Anyone who enjoys this thread and wants to continue following it please pm me.

#11456 3 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

PM sent!

#11457 3 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

I would love to keep following but it appears many users are not posting in here anymore. PM sent

#11458 3 years ago

PM sent, thank you for the opportunity bowz

#11459 3 years ago

PM sent

#11460 3 years ago

I like it here!

#11461 3 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

I do, but why?

#11462 3 years ago

Take the blue pull

#11463 3 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

PM sent. Thanks for taking the initiative.

#11464 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

What was the bourbon you didn't like?

Hey Dad...yeah, I guess I could have shared which one I disliked so much that I poured it down the drain. I mean, it was so bad that I couldn't even use it as a mixer for cocktails.

It was Central Standard Bourbon, distilled here in Milwaukee. I figured I'd give the hometown boys a shot. I had been to the distillery before but hadn't tried it before buying it. I should have. Once my friend said that it was also the worst bourbon she'd ever tasted, I sent a note to the distillery giving our lot/batch/bottle numbers, in case something went wrong during the production and others were noting the "off" tastes. Never heard from them and as a result I'd never buy anything from them again, bourbon or otherwise.

I'm guessing that it's not widely available outside of Wisconsin, but if it is, and you see it on the shelf and wonder "hmm, maybe I should try this?" - Please don't.

I knew I was taking a chance buying a bourbon made in Wisconsin, but the others that I've tried have been acceptable (J Henry and Sons and Driftless Glen) so I was hoping for better. I was disappointed...

I'll be PMing to join the updated thread or whatever the plan is moving forward.

#11465 3 years ago

I have PMed about a new thread/plan moving forward.

I have mulled options over, and if there is interest, I would like to perhaps initiate an "All whiskeys welcome" thread.

Bourbon inherently implies no whisky (Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Japanese, and so on), no scotches, no ryes, etc. I'm sure a lot of us enjoy these other brown spirits as well, and I would be very interested in including these and moving forward.

I really love this thread, and several people (including some lurkers) have shown interest in its continuance, so whatever makes that happen..i am for.

#11466 3 years ago

how about just a whisky lover's thread

#11467 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have mulled options over, and if there is interest, I would like to perhaps initiate an "All whiskeys welcome" thread.
    Bourbon inherently implies no whisky (Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Japanese, and so on), no scotches, no ryes, etc. I'm sure a lot of us enjoy these other brown spirits as well, and I would be very interested in including these and moving forward.
    I really love this thread, and several people (including some lurkers) have shown interest in its continuance, so whatever makes that happen..i am for.

You are aware there is a Scotch thread already right?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scotch-drinkers-club

#11468 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

A lot of people used to love this thread.

#11469 3 years ago

Yes, but it would be a "whiskeys" thread (all whiskeys welcome) bourbon, scotch, Tennessee whiskey, Japanese whisky, etc.

It's just a thought, but I think there are enough of us "brown-liquor-drinkers" that it makes sense.

#11470 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Yes, but it would be a "whiskeys" thread (all whiskeys welcome) bourbon, scotch, Tennessee whiskey, Japanese whisky, etc.
    It's just a thought, but I think there are enough of us "brown-liquor-drinkers" that it makes sense.

Sure, go ahead and create an all whiskey thread. I am sure that there are a lot of folks on here that would like that and participate. Due to a variety of reasons, I would guess that this particular thread has run its course.

#11471 3 years ago

Ok, I tried the New Riff...not too bad. As I've done a little research on it, it seems it has a fairly high rye component, around 30%, which is a bit more than I like. However, even so, it wasn't too bad. I can't really smell and taste all the things that others seem to say they can smell and taste, but I can tell you that I did get a lot of grain notes and the burn, after swallowing, was rather short considering it's 102 proof.

Overall, it was pretty good and I'd recommend it, especially at the price point that I found it ($45), given the 102 "single barrel" proof, it seems to be worth the cost.

I will also note that it's relatively "young" bourbon, being aged 4 years before being bottled. Your mileage may vary, but I think if you find it, buy it, and I think you'll like it.

#11472 3 years ago

Cheers, been enjoying more lately with the stones only in the glass, who would have thought, must be the cold weather

9FEF6406-1359-4DAD-B8BE-FAA6EE324EEB (resized).jpeg9FEF6406-1359-4DAD-B8BE-FAA6EE324EEB (resized).jpeg
    #11474 3 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Ok, I tried the New Riff...not too bad. As I've done a little research on it, it seems it has a fairly high rye component, around 30%, which is a bit more than I like. However, even so, it wasn't too bad. I can't really smell and taste all the things that others seem to say they can smell and taste, but I can tell you that I did get a lot of grain notes and the burn, after swallowing, was rather short considering it's 102 proof.
    Overall, it was pretty good and I'd recommend it, especially at the price point that I found it ($45), given the 102 "single barrel" proof, it seems to be worth the cost.
    I will also note that it's relatively "young" bourbon, being aged 4 years before being bottled. Your mileage may vary, but I think if you find it, buy it, and I think you'll like it.

Thank you for the reply and review. This helps me with my decision next time I see it. I have a problem lately, I picked up a Peerless single barrel, George Remus Single Barrel,Knob Creek Single barrel, 4 Roses Single Barrel, and old elk wheated single barrel.

The one that stood out to me was the 4 Roses. The george Remus was barrel proof and a little hot. I found that a little bit of water proofs it down and you can actually taste it.

#11475 3 years ago

I am going on the hunt in the next few days. If anyone has any bourbon recommendations, please let me know. I tend to favor sweet flavors, high alcohol %, and a thicker (viscous) mouthfeel.

#11476 3 years ago

This is definitely in that wheelhouse

A2FE4E09-FD3A-4C7D-8E7B-D6B1A93E592E (resized).jpegA2FE4E09-FD3A-4C7D-8E7B-D6B1A93E592E (resized).jpeg
    #11477 3 years ago

Just gotta say...Widow Jane has the nastiest nose of any bourbon I’ve tried and taste like crap

#11478 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Just gotta say...Widow Jane has the nastiest nose of any bourbon I’ve tried and taste like crap

The 10 year widow Jane is fabulous. Not sure what you are drinking

#11479 3 years ago

The 10 year widow Jane is fabulous. Not sure what you are drinking

Amen brotha’. The widow kicks it.

#11480 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

You know what’s up!

#11481 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Do you order your delivered foods from Goldbelly?

#11482 3 years ago

This is definitely in that wheelhouse [quoted image]

Noahs mill is definitely one of my favorites. I think I posted a pic of mine a week or so ago.

#11483 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I have to say that Widow Jane was a let down for me...I had high hopes for it but didn't think it was all that great. It's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while with just a few ounces out of it as it's not something I'd prefer to drink. I keep it around in hopes that someone else may like it more than me.

#11484 3 years ago

Some things just aren't the same anywhere else like:

Langer's Deli #19 Sandwich kit (LA)
    Central Grocery's Muffuletta (The Big Easy)
    McCloon's lobster roll kit (some Maine boat dock)
    Boatyard's crab cakes (Matt's back yard)
    Liebman's Deli reuben or Kosher dogs (Kosher NY)

You build up points with each order too leading to nice discounts.

#11485 3 years ago

Shout out to my secret Santa. I’ve been waiting to get together with my two brothers to crack this secret Santa exchange open and last night was the night. Smooth and not too much burn which is to my liking just under 100 proof. I’m still working on picking out notes when drinking and actually did taste a little green apple in this Fusion #3 Series which I saw in the description when I looked Bardstown up on the internet. I was very pleased to see Bardstown has a few different series and is available locally so I’ll definitely be exploring the whole line.

Thanks again Santa!!!

440E09D3-A309-4FAD-80B9-64EB495C4885 (resized).jpeg440E09D3-A309-4FAD-80B9-64EB495C4885 (resized).jpeg7503FB04-8BD2-4EC6-BBAE-53E75FDD0AC1 (resized).jpeg7503FB04-8BD2-4EC6-BBAE-53E75FDD0AC1 (resized).jpeg
    #11486 3 years ago

For a first order, go with the Langer's Deli #19 sandwich kit.
    It will knock your pastrami off!

#11487 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I am going on the hunt in the next few days. If anyone has any bourbon recommendations, please let me know. I tend to favor sweet flavors, high alcohol %, and a thicker (viscous) mouthfeel.

We have all mostly enjoyed this bottle of Russels Reserve and I enjoyed this Jack one made me go bananas

4D405F99-6AEB-4907-AA02-D477DACFC1DD (resized).jpeg4D405F99-6AEB-4907-AA02-D477DACFC1DD (resized).jpeg81C48663-14D0-41E5-9D0E-FCB1F9FCBB72 (resized).jpeg81C48663-14D0-41E5-9D0E-FCB1F9FCBB72 (resized).jpeg
    #11488 3 years ago
    20210109_231854~2 (resized).jpg20210109_231854~2 (resized).jpg20210109_232043~2 (resized).jpg20210109_232043~2 (resized).jpg
    #11489 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

We have all mostly enjoyed this bottle of Russels Reserve and I enjoyed this Jack one made me go bananas
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I saw the JD single today but wasn't sure about it since it was JD. Nice to hear you like it. For the price I might try it now.

#11490 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Some things just aren't the same anywhere else like:
    Langer's Deli #19 Sandwich kit (LA)
    Central Grocery's Muffuletta (The Big Easy)
    McCloon's lobster roll kit (some Maine boat dock)
    Boatyard's crab cakes (Matt's back yard)
    Liebman's Deli reuben or Kosher dogs (Kosher NY)
    You build up points with each order too leading to nice discounts.

I don’t really care for Chicago style deep dish pizza (we eat thin crust, tourists eat deep dish). But I think I saw Pequod’s is on Goldbelly now and that shit is amazing. If they figured out frozen Pequod’s I’ll get it myself on Goldbelly, such a headache to pick it up.

#11491 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I don’t really care for Chicago style deep dish pizza (we eat thin crust, tourists eat deep dish). But I think I saw Pequod’s is on Goldbelly now and that shit is amazing. If they figured out frozen Pequod’s I’ll get it myself on Goldbelly, such a headache to pick it up.

I'm a thin crust guy myself.
    Yes, they have Pequod's on Goldbelly. You know it's good when they are all sold out.

#11492 3 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

I saw the JD single today but wasn't sure about it since it was JD. Nice to hear you like it. For the price I might try it now.

I noticed Others have posted on my other bourbon groups they liked it not being a JD fan, it’s just so different and I will always have in stock since trying it.

#11493 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I am not a deep dish either, everyone was exited when we got the Chicago deep dish pizza place out here, can’t remember the name right now. Thin crust and extra red sauce for me.

#11494 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I noticed Others have posted on my other bourbon groups they liked it not being a JD fan, it’s just so different and I will always have in stock since trying it.

Some folks like to diss good old Jack. I think it's a consistent good... maybe not Wild Turkey but pretty good, especially for the price point.

#11495 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Some folks like to diss good old Jack. I think it's a consistent good... maybe not Wild Turkey but pretty good, especially for the price point.

I'm not a Jack guy, but that single barrel has me wanting to try it...especially for that price point. I've just heard too many trusted people vouch for it.

#11496 3 years ago

Some old fashions tonight!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #11497 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

But I think I saw Pequod’s is on Goldbelly now and that shit is amazing.

Pequod's is 'da bomb. I have been there the past 3 times I've visited Chi-Town.

#11498 3 years ago

This is a Rye, not a bourbon (so I am technically cheating). It's still good though.

20210110_231652 (resized).jpg20210110_231652 (resized).jpg20210110_231732 (resized).jpg20210110_231732 (resized).jpg
    #11499 3 years ago

Having one tonight

BA22ED09-1C5A-4910-9D88-7840F0BD6177 (resized).jpegBA22ED09-1C5A-4910-9D88-7840F0BD6177 (resized).jpeg
    There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 230 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/230 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.