Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 235.
    #1001 4 years ago

Pretty sure I would go with the Elijah Craig Barrel proof it's good stuff

#1002 4 years ago

Of those I would grab the Woodford Double Oaked.

And if you want a really good rye for the money get that Sazerak Rye and hard to find in many places.

EDIT: By the way that Four Roses Single Barrel is slowly becoming one of my favs and is a good price.

#1003 4 years ago

Another vote for the barrel proof EC, I also am a fan of the Pure Kentucky label and proof. (107) Sazerac is tasty, but I prefer the proof and availability of the Rittenhouse.

#1004 4 years ago

I am not much of a drinker and certainly no expert on any type of alcohol. But, I had Widow Jane Bourbon today and thought it was awesome. Just bought a bottle.

#1005 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Let’s play a game of “what would you buy?”
    This is the selection at my local store right now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Blue label.

#1006 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This is the selection at my local store right now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Eagle Rare
    Rowan’s Creek
    Noah’s mill - haven’t cracked my bottle yet but my guy swears by it and it’s made by the folks of Rowan’s Creek
    Basil Hayden’s

Otherwise - let’s see that bottom shelf - Very Old Barton or Ol Grand Dad? Not sippers but mix well.

#1007 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Want to pick me up a bottle of the Basil Hayden’s dark rye? Vermont and New Hampshire are all of stock. Have any Vermont alcohol you’re looking for?

#1008 4 years ago

EC Barrel Proof is the prize in my eyes. Widow Jane 10 is pretty good. Of course 4R Single Barrel is always good.

#1009 4 years ago

Widow Jane and Four Roses Barrel

#1010 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

I found a bottle of EH Taylor. Weller green label. And Willett Rye today. Any of that do anything for you? I’m doubtful but you never know.

Just seeing this now- I’m looking for the EH Taylor rye. Can you find that or just the bourbon? Would snag the Weller too.

#1011 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

Just seeing this now- I’m looking for the EH Taylor rye. Can you find that or just the bourbon? Would snag the Weller too.

I can take a look tomorrow. Shoot me a PM with your cell and I’ll text you while I’m there.

#1012 4 years ago

Agree with the EC barrel proof and 4R sin barrel. Also like the michters and Jim Bean distillers cut is also a great cheaper alternative.

#1013 4 years ago

Noahs Mill is excellent, finished my bottle recently.

#1014 4 years ago

I hate to be Mr Price Tag but there are some good deals and quite a few not so good deals on those shelves:

Deals:
    Rittenhouse Rye looks like $23 - load up
    Sazarac Rye at $31 is about right but its often out of stock in Delaware/PA/MD still performs at or above its price - load up
    Widow Jane $60 that bottle could run 75 or 80 here. i see its on sale but even at regular price i don't buy it. at that price i add to collection - load up ( i have never had this but for this price i would take my chances
    Eagle Rare $33 usually between 30-36 so i would def buy those on the shelf - i would get that bottle if you don't normally see ER10 on shelves
    RRoses SB selling less than $40 -i would take that too!

Bad deals i might still take:
    ECBP probably the best bourbon on the shelf @75$ is easily $10-$15 more than i pay. might still be worth getting if money not a concern

Bad deal i'm def passing on:
    Angels Envy about $10 more than we see around here. i usually pass on their stuff , its good but its probably overpriced everywhere

No values here:
    $20 too much for Old Overholt still see it for $15
    $29 too much for Larceny - generally $23
    $29 too much for BT - usually about 22-23 here

The standards, knob creek, 4 Roses, Woodford, Makers all seem to be priced right around what i would expect

#1015 4 years ago

Would be kinda cool to have one of those use full-sized barrels if you have a good spot for it at your bar or porch. i see one stamped 'Templeton Rye'

#1016 4 years ago

fun game to play.

If others feel so inclined and you have a good selection then maybe we can get some trades happening?

#1017 4 years ago
    Quoted from New_England:

Want to pick me up a bottle of the Basil Hayden’s dark rye? Vermont and New Hampshire are all of stock. Have any Vermont alcohol you’re looking for?

sure.

Go grab a photo/s of what is on the shelf at your best local spot. I am sure there is something up there I would like to have that we dont get here.

Would be happy to trade and do a mutual ship deal.

#1018 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I know what I WOULDN'T buy...The stuff from Central Standard, as I have previously stated, might be the worst thing I've ever drank. I'm not talking just bourbon, but any alcohol. It's just bad.

Dave

#1019 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Widow Jane has been a great new find we liked lately

#1020 4 years ago

Dupe post.

#1021 4 years ago

Dude, that same bottle of Bulliet Rye is $40+ in Alabama.

Quoted from Whysnow:

This is the selection at my local store right now.

#1022 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Dude, that same bottle of Bulliet Rye is $40+ in Alabama.

AL has the craziest liquor prices I’ve ever seen. I had a bartender in B’ham explain it to me but all I got out of is that there are a few select shops that sell to everyone else. So it becomes a middleman’s markup game.
    Beer is surprisingly cheap there. 6 pack of rolling rocks for $5 at the gas station. Can’t beat that!

#1023 4 years ago

Went to Woodman's today.

IMG_20190523_183728 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_183728 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_183952 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_183952 (resized).jpg
    #1024 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Went to Woodman's today.[quoted image][quoted image]

so I scanned this picture and realized they have a lazy stock boy so the EH taylor is hiding. I saw something next to the buffalo trace. Can't say I've heard/drank it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Bookers for $76 (hiding in the top left of pic 1) is a great price down here.

I see some Old forester that keeps getting discussed on here but, I've never tried it to comment.

#1025 4 years ago

I did eyeball that Old Forester. I picked up Michters this time thru.

#1026 4 years ago

Weller is very tough to source around here so everytime I see a bottle I snag it. Would have preffered another bottle of Antique 107 but these days I take what I can get.

20190523_094408 (resized).jpg20190523_094408 (resized).jpg
    #1027 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Went to Woodman's today.[quoted image][quoted image]

2nd pic, lower right hand side Evan Williams single barrel $21 is on the shelf at my local Total Wine for $32
    reviews are mixed between 'best stuff ever!' and 'its ok' but I would be tempted to try it

#1028 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

AL has the craziest liquor prices I’ve ever seen. I had a bartender in B’ham explain it to me but all I got out of is that there are a few select shops that sell to everyone else. So it becomes a middleman’s markup game.
    Beer is surprisingly cheap there. 6 pack of rolling rocks for $5 at the gas station. Can’t beat that!

I don't get it either. The state taxes liquor more heavily than most states when it's brought in and distributed to, get this, the state-run liquor stores. Alabama has an absolute monopoly on the liquor. Every business has to get it from the state store called ABC. There are a few places that resell at a higher price, but there are very few because there's just no money to be made unless you're moving massive amounts of booze.

Beer is cheap because, ya know, economics. Lots of things are cheaper here in Alabama. Cost of living is a huge draw for this place, and it's really not a bunch of redneck idiots running around without electricity.

#1029 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

2nd pic, lower right hand side Evan Williams single barrel $21 is on the shelf at my local Total Wine for $32
    reviews are mixed between 'best stuff ever!' and 'its ok' but I would be tempted to try it

I've picked up that Evan Williams from our local Costco as well. I would say it was OK. Liking the Old Forester better.

#1030 4 years ago

My first Sam Houston. Think I'll have another drink.

IMG_5592 (resized).jpegIMG_5592 (resized).jpeg

#1031 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

so I scanned this picture and realized they have a lazy stock boy so the EH taylor is hiding. I saw something next to the buffalo trace. Can't say I've heard/drank it.
    [quoted image]
    Bookers for $76 (hiding in the top left of pic 1) is a great price down here.
    I see some Old forester that keeps getting discussed on here but, I've never tried it to comment.

That’s Old Ezra 7 year and would be the first thing I’d grab off these shelves. It’s damn good. I’d also grab a bottle of that WT Rare Breed because I love Wild Turkey products.

#1032 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

That’s Old Ezra 7 year and would be the first thing I’d grab off these shelves. It’s damn good. I’d also grab a bottle of that WT Rare Breed because I love Wild Turkey products.

You guys are going to cost me money. Old Ezra, Booker's, and WT Rare Breed. I'll see in that is still there next week.

#1033 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

[quoted image]

How do you like that @fulltilt ? I think my Binny’s has it but I’ve never tried it.

#1034 4 years ago

Happy Memorial Day weekend whiskeyheads. Here’s to my vacation that I’ve rescheduled three times! Gulp.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #1035 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

How do you like that @fulltilt ? I think my Binny’s has it but I’ve never tried it.

A thumbs up. Very nice smooth drink that has an ending to remind you that you just had a 100 proof shot!

#1036 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sure.
    Go grab a photo/s of what is on the shelf at your best local spot. I am sure there is something up there I would like to have that we dont get here.
    Would be happy to trade and do a mutual ship deal.

Not my liquor store, but my current home selection of Vermont products. Not bourbon, but maybe it will interest you. Highly recommend the Maple 14 and Duncs Dark Maple. Also recommended but not pictured is Barr Hill Honey Vodka. It’s honestly my favorite vodka of all time.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #1037 4 years ago

Thx, but I drink bourbon. Any Vermont age stamped bourbon at you spot?

#1038 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thx, but I drink bourbon. Any Vermont age stamped bourbon at you spot?

I'll check the next time I am at the store. To be honest, there isn't much. Liquor manufacturing was only made legal in Vermont back in 1998 or so. It wasn't until the early 2010's that a lot of the distillers started to open up. Because of that, there just hasn't been enough time to produce a whiskey.

Whistle Pig is pretty easy to come by here. If you're looking for any of the Boss Hog's, I could most likely find them- at least the IV and V. But as mentioned above, even they aren't producing it all in state yet. There's been some controversy about how WP is sourcing their liquor.

If you're looking for bourbon taste, both the Maple 14 and Dunc's Backwoods Reserve do great. I actually bought the last two bottles of Backwoods last month. They should have more made by December, but I would be happy to let me extra one go if you were interested.

Here is the full list of the products you can find in the state: https://802spirits.com/sites/spirits/files/documents/Pricing_Current_Full.pdf

Actually, both Mad River and Smugglers Notch both make a bourbon. I bet you may like one of those.

#1039 4 years ago

What are the thoughts on the bird dog? My guy was pushing it pretty hard today.

31FBAE8B-C139-42EC-81B0-8760D1210777 (resized).jpeg31FBAE8B-C139-42EC-81B0-8760D1210777 (resized).jpeg

#1040 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

[quoted image]

Never had it but I would leave them on the shelf. PA state stores have those on 'sale' for $35 and $20 and they cant move it.

#1041 4 years ago

Decided to ask a dude at Total Wine what one of his favorites is and said this one. I mentioned that I don't like smokey smell or taste (I hate JW Black Label for example) and he said this one is smokey but more mild so I decided to give it a try. Didn't like it, I'm learning that I really don't like smoke anywhere near my whisky, gonna finish this one as a mixer.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190525122052432_COVER (resized).jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190525122052432_COVER (resized).jpg
    #1042 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

What are the thoughts on the bird dog?

The 10 year is not bad but the Eagle Rare next to it is far better and prob the same price.

If anyway wants to trade I am always looking for Willetts or Weller bottles. They never stock them in PA.

#1043 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Michters. Cause Bobby and Wags drink it.
    Wags. (resized).jpgWags. (resized).jpg

#1044 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

[quoted image]

I was very surprised by the quality of the bird dog line up. For the price it is a good buy in my estimation. Same with my taste buds.

#1045 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

The 10 year is not bad but the Eagle Rare next to it is far better and prob the same price.
    If anyway wants to trade I am always looking for Willetts or Weller bottles. They never stock them in PA.

I bought 3 bottles of ER. I never take the last one unless it’s the only one.

This guys pricing is always high but there isn’t too much he does not have or can’t put his hands on. Cut throat capitalist. He had me pull the shelf sticker of ER and raised the price of the last bottle by $10. I laughed at him cause his Weller SR is 39.99 a bottle and ER was 34.99 - he said the name recognition of Weller makes it an easy sell even at the price.

Willet is sitting on shelves here. Stopped in 4 stores today and all 4 had bottles. 750 and 1.5 of course now that I’ve said it they’ll disappear.

#1046 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I was very surprised by the quality of the bird dog line up. For the price it is a good buy in my estimation. Same with my taste buds.

Thanks. That price point is around what I’ll take a gamble on. So I’ll remember it if I’m looking for something new.

#1047 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Decided to ask a dude at Total Wine what one of his favorites is and said this one. I mentioned that I don't like smokey smell or taste (I hate JW Black Label for example) and he said this one is smokey but more mild so I decided to give it a try. Didn't like it, I'm learning that I really don't like smoke anywhere near my whisky, gonna finish this one as a mixer.[quoted image]

Bought a bottle of this a month ago and wasn't real happy with it.

#1048 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

[quoted image]

Havent seen this one anywhere yet how was it?

#1049 4 years ago

How did I miss this post.
    Can't play without my single malt.

2019-04-03 14.45.16 (resized).jpg2019-04-03 14.45.16 (resized).jpg
    #1050 4 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

How did I miss this post.
    Can't play without my single malt.[quoted image]

Because it’s a bourbon thread not a scotch thread. Haha jk. What’s a cigar malt?

BTW there is a scotch thread on Pinside. I’ve seen it before it has “dram” in the title. I can’t remember anything other than that about it.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/21?hl=new_england and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.