Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 235.
    #901 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Rebel Yell was the good stuff. Early Times was the go to.
    Crazy enough it was Boone's Farm got me arrested.

Funny Boone"s Farm got u arrested and all it got me was a trip to the toulet to puke.

#902 4 years ago

This is probably the hottest of hot takes but reading Reddit reviews of Confiscated makes me wonder if lack of age statement and source information are valid concerns.

#903 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

This is probably the hottest of hot takes but reading Reddit reviews of Confiscated makes me wonder if lack of age statement and source information are valid concerns.

Supposedly on their Facebook page they released that this Kentucky owl confiscated is a mix of 9, 10 and 12 year old Bourbons. As soon as I get home this afternoon I plan on cracking it open and taking it for a test drive. Fingers crossed that it's not just some hype and they're actually is a very good bourbon inside the bottle.

#904 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Supposedly on their Facebook page they released that this Kentucky owl confiscated is a mix of 9, 10 and 12 year old Bourbons. As soon as I get home this afternoon I plan on cracking it open and taking it for a test drive. Fingers crossed that it's not just some hype and they're actually is a very good bourbon inside the bottle.

Ok as promised. Just had the Kentucky owl. This stuff is super smooth. Definitely developes more flavors as it goes down and finishes very well with a mild burn. So far I am very pleased with my purchase and happy to start the weekend out with this bottle.

20190510_163802 (resized).jpg20190510_163802 (resized).jpg
    #905 4 years ago

@sirscott, didn't want you to miss out on the count.

Happy Friday and almost Mother's Day. I miss her.
    Here's to you Mom.

IMG_5474 (resized).jpegIMG_5474 (resized).jpeg
    img005 (resized).jpgimg005 (resized).jpg

#906 4 years ago

Had to test old favorite (right) is against new favorite (left).

MVIMG_20190510_185039 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190510_185039 (resized).jpg

I will admit... Makers was an early favorite and I have not gone back to it since. Old Forester 1920 is my current favorite.

#907 4 years ago

I’ve heard mixed reviews on this one so that made me want it more., Bottoms up.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #908 4 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Had to test old favorite (right) is against new favorite (left).
    [quoted image]
    I will admit... Makers was an early favorite and I have not gone back to it since. Old Forester 1920 is my current favorite.

I think 1920 is everybody's current favorite....mine included. Shit is out of sight.

#909 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I think 1920 is everybody's current favorite....mine included. Shit is out of sight.

the 1920 is really good i 100% agree and the Prohibition is really good if you havent tried it yet

#910 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

the 1920 is really good i 100% agree and the Prohibition is really good if you havent tried it yet

Woops! The 1920 is the Prohibition one. I meant to say the 1897 one is really good also. I've got too many bottles laying around cant keeep em all straight.

20190511_101125 (resized).jpg20190511_101125 (resized).jpg
    #911 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’ve heard mixed reviews on this one so that made me want it more., Bottoms up.
    [quoted image]

Never heard of that one how is it?

#912 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Never heard of that one how is it?

It’s pretty good. Very young (4 year age stated) but it doesn’t taste it to me and that’s the biggest complaint I’ve heard about it. If they aged it 4 or 5 more years it would probably be amazing.

#913 4 years ago

I know that this will bring out the flames but I bought a bottle of Stagg Jr 127 proof last night (59 bucks) and I think it is severely over rated. It has heat (alcohol) with no flavor and I put it way behind Bookers for similar proof. It is similar to a lot of recent bottles (Kentucky Owl, Whistle Pig V, etc) that I think are severely over ranked. The last good bottle I bought was the Knob Creek 25th.

#914 4 years ago

Quoted from DBLM:I know that this will bring out the flames but I bought a bottle of Stagg Jr 127 proof last night (59 bucks) and I think it is severely over rated. It has heat (alcohol) with no flavor and I put it way behind Bookers for similar proof. It is similar to a lot of recent bottles (Kentucky Owl, Whistle Pig V, etc) that I think are severely over ranked. The last good bottle I bought was the Knob Creek 25th.

No flames thrown here. We all have different tastes and I’ll never bash another person’s opinion. That batch 11 Stagg Jr. is really great though

#915 4 years ago

Old Forester Statesman is tasty stuff too...

IMG_6253 (resized).JPGIMG_6253 (resized).JPG
    #916 4 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Old Forester Statesman is tasty stuff too...
    [quoted image]

I keep meaning to buy that one but everytime I go to pick it up I see something else that intrigues me a little bit more

#917 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

No flames thrown here. We all have different tastes and I’ll never bash another person’s opinion. That batch 11 Stagg Jr. is really great though

I tried it again today and did have a better opinion on it. I don’t know if I would buy it again but it definitely was not as bad as I recalled when I posted.

Looking forward to trying this. My local store had some made up for them and they got to pick out the staves used to age this. Could be something to it or just marketing, but at 111 proof I thought I would pick up a bottle. Will let everybody know how it is.
    A4EA3A97-7ACF-4E55-A170-458FC5299A7E (resized).jpegA4EA3A97-7ACF-4E55-A170-458FC5299A7E (resized).jpeg

029E871D-B0F9-4382-830C-949EBA781893 (resized).jpeg029E871D-B0F9-4382-830C-949EBA781893 (resized).jpeg
    #918 4 years ago

Remember - pinball machines are electronic devices. Please drink responsibly!

Drink responsibly.gifDrink responsibly.gif

#919 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I tried it again today and did have a better opinion on it. I don’t know if I would buy it again but it definitely was not as bad as I recalled when I posted.
    Looking forward to trying this. My local store had some made up for them and they got to pick out the staves used to age this. Could be something to it or just marketing, but at 111 proof I thought I would pick up a bottle. Will let everybody know how it is.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I like the Maker’s Private Select picks I’ve had. I also think their Barrel Strength is excellent and criminally overlooked when people are looking for higher proofed wheaters.

#920 4 years ago

Man this stuff is pretty decent and was on sale for $10. Probably should have bought about 4 or 5 more bottles at that price.

20190514_132747 (resized).jpg20190514_132747 (resized).jpg
    #921 4 years ago

VERY good stuff (IMO). Very smooth with a great finish. I had to pick up 2.

IMG_5510 (resized).jpegIMG_5510 (resized).jpeg

#922 4 years ago

Gonna get some Maker's cask strength

As of now still making do with Grandnational007 recommendation of WT101 GH code

#923 4 years ago

Just found this one. Know anything about the Chattanooga Whisky Co.?
    Looking forward to trying this one.

IMG_5511 (resized).jpegIMG_5511 (resized).jpeg

#924 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

VERY good stuff (IMO). Very smooth with a great finish. I had to pick up 2.
    [quoted image]

Hmm need to try that as I like regular Maker's Mark. Just curious, how many whiskey bottles in general do you have?

#925 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Just found this one. Know anything about the Chattanooga Whisky Co.?
    Looking forward to trying this one.
    [quoted image]

Going to need a report back on that one.

#926 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Hmm need to try that as I like regular Maker's Mark. Just curious, how many whiskey bottles in general do you have?

Enough that Chisox and I need a Mac cab.
    I don’t have any regular MM so can’t compare.

#927 4 years ago

I envy you guys, our cheapest bourbon costs
    $33 AUD about 23 USD and its only 37% which in th USA can't be sold as bourbon, but can in Australia. Also our range would be 10-15% of what you have.

However we do have a massive range for premixed bourbon and coke/ginger ale etc. This is one store there are more options at other outlets.
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/search?searchTerm=Premix+Bourbon+

#928 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

I envy you guys, our cheapest bourbon costs
    $33 AUD about 23 USD and its only 37% which in th USA can't be sold as bourbon, but can in Australia. Also our range would be 10-15% of what you have.
    However we do have a massive range for premixed bourbon and coke/ginger ale etc. This is one store there are more options at other outlets.
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/search?searchTerm=Premix+Bourbon+

Australia was always some place I wanted to go or at least I thought I did. But finding out about sky-high pinball machines and now fake bourbon I think I'm going to have to cancel that trip all together now. Get out of that prison my friend it sounds horrible!

#929 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:Australia was always some place I wanted to go or at least I thought I did. But finding out about sky-high pinball machines and now fake bourbon I think I'm going to have to cancel that trip all together now. Get out of that prison my friend it sounds horrible!

It's not all bad... most of the expense is tax a 700ml bottle @ 40% is approx $23 AUD tax!!

#930 4 years ago

Bullett or eagle rare

#931 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

Bullett or eagle rare

Is that a question? If so, Eagle Rare all the way.

#932 4 years ago

I grabbed a bottle of Mellow Corn today because it's cheap at $14, 100 proof, BIB and 90% corn mash. The plastic screwtop is there as warning so you know what you are getting.

Initially smelled like rubbing alchohol, then it would die off, swirl glass again and the ethanol whiff was back. Odor was gone completely after about 10mins.

Undeterred, I moved to tasting. Surprisingly not bad at all. Not a deep flavor, light with just
    a bit of burn. Nowhere near the worst whiskies I've had; it feels like a nice change of pace to heavier and way more expensive bourbons and ryes.

#933 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I grabbed a bottle of Mellow Corn today because it's cheap at $14, 100 proof, BIB and 90% corn mash. The plastic screwtop is there as warning so you know what you are getting.
    Initially smelled like rubbing alchohol, then it would die off, swirl glass again and the ethanol whiff was back. Odor was gone completely after about 10mins.
    Undeterred, I moved to tasting. Surprisingly not bad at all. Not a deep flavor, light with just
    a bit of burn. Nowhere near the worst whiskies I've had; it feels like a nice change of pace to heavier and way more expensive bourbons and ryes.

Ahh yes, the legendary Mellow Corn...Technically a corn whiskey. The only aged/bottled-in-bond one that I'm aware of. What it lacks in bold character and big flavor, it makes up with lots of subtle, but noticeable, flavor nuances and a surprising lack of heat on the palate. Corn bread and caramel (whooda thunk?!?) push through in this one, and if you like corn flakes, you'll like this whiskey. It's the exact polar opposite of a spicy rye.

Do a side by side by side by side with Mellow Corn (Corn Whiskey), Bernheim Wheat Whiskey (Wheat Whiskey), a Rye Whiskey of your choosing, and then a regular, straight, bourbon of your choosing (Heaven Hill to keep up with the theme, maybe?). You will see the similarities and not-so-subtle differences between them.

Mellow Corn and cider at my local fall fair is a tradition. It's really good as a substitute for the vodka in a Bloody Mary as well. Straight works, too, or mixed with 7up. Cheers!

#934 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

Bullett or eagle rare

eagle rare for sipping.
    bulliet rye for old fashioneds.
    bulliet (original/red/idk what to call it) for mixing.

#935 4 years ago

This whiskey Wednesday came courtesy of @bowz. Still can’t believe you gave this to me.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #936 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

This whiskey Wednesday came courtesy of @bowz. Still can’t believe you gave this to me.
    [quoted image]

Damn!! I can"t believe anyone would voluntarily give that away.

#937 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

What cards are you holding?

#938 4 years ago

Just curious about everyone elses drinking habits. When you sit down to have a few drinks do you stick to the same bottle for them all or do you grab separate bottles? I typically find myself having 1 or 2 of one thing then switching to another bottle for another drink. Ah hell who am I kidding then I switch to another bottle after that for another drink

#939 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

What cards are you holding?

People like me, what can I say? He’s a great guy that loves his bourbon. His pins are pretty nice too

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Just curious about everyone elses drinking habits. When you sit down to have a few drinks do you stick to the same bottle for them all or do you grab separate bottles? I typically find myself having 1 or 2 of one thing then switching to another bottle for another drink. Ah hell who am I kidding then I switch to another bottle after that for another drink

I have 45 bottles open so I bounce from one to the other. If I open something special with friends we’ll sit and drink a whole bottle but for the most part I like variety. I also like alternating rye and bourbon, low proof and barrel proof.

#940 4 years ago

Saw this on the shelf and thought wut? Decided to try it and it's pretty good! Might be too mild for some cask strength folk, but I dig it.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190516223106187_COVER (resized).jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190516223106187_COVER (resized).jpg
    #941 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

People like me, what can I say? He’s a great guy that loves his bourbon. His pins are pretty nice too

I have 45 bottles open so I bounce from one to the other. If I open something special with friends we’ll sit and drink a whole bottle but for the most part I like variety. I also like alternating rye and bourbon, low proof and barrel proof.

I don't know if I have 45 bottles I know I got quite a bit though. Everytime I start to count I get distracted by one and start drinking it and everything goes to hell after that.

#942 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

[quoted image]

Oh my god was that stuff terrible tasting. Least favorite bourbon I’ve ever had.
    As far as giving it away-you did bring over a bottle of McKenna, so I do feel like I was the winner....
    And We’re still good for a week from today.

#943 4 years ago

Here's what we currently have on the top shelf.

MVIMG_20190129_211444 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190129_211444 (resized).jpg

#944 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I always like to open a new bottle for my first drink when the pallet is clean.
    I then usually hit a fav for the middle part.
    I always return to the freshly opened one to end it. I like to see if I like it more after I have had a couple.

I find if it is good on first sip then I like it the same later.
    If it is not my style on first sip, then it rarely grows on me.

#945 4 years ago

At the New York City Pinball Championships and this is the spread in my hotel room. Anything worthy?

97C1F0F3-96F0-473B-88DA-C834CD7D9FCC (resized).jpeg97C1F0F3-96F0-473B-88DA-C834CD7D9FCC (resized).jpeg
    #946 4 years ago

C'mon Chad. Rookie move not bringing your own bottle to NYC

#947 4 years ago

The hudson is very nice!

I am a fan for sure.

#948 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

C'mon Chad. Rookie move not bringing your own bottle to NYC

LOL! All those are good but I betcha' the price would be shocking.

#949 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

At the New York City Pinball Championships and this is the spread in my hotel room. Anything worthy?[quoted image]

I would stick to the titos and add some red bull. Tequila and me dont play nice and i've never aquired the taste for scotch.

#950 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

At the New York City Pinball Championships and this is the spread in my hotel room. Anything worthy?[quoted image]

Never tried the Casamigos Blanco, but their Casamigos Reposado is really good, always keep a bottle handy! Personally I hate Johnnie Walker, don't like overly smokey smell or taste. Vodka is all the same to me so I just go cheap on that, good 'ol Classic Club vodka at $8.99 for 1.75L. Never tried Hudson...

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/19?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.