Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 235.
    #8901 3 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Is this any good?
    [quoted image]

Have never had it but I know guys on here have spoken very highly of it. Crack it open big fella and pour a tall one and give us your opinion.

#8902 3 years ago

Damn my enthusiasm has spilled over from my restoration thread into my drinking thread! For those who don't know I bought a 13ft big ball bowler up by chicago on Easter sunday 2020. After getting it completely up and running and cleaned and everything else I got a great idea. Go buy another machine down in Cincinnati strictly for another section of lane to extend my machine out to 19.5ft. Now after months of work just on the lane section it's done. Halle-fucking-lujah it's done! Definitely time to celebrate and this will do nicely

20201003_160614 (resized).jpg20201003_160614 (resized).jpg

#8903 3 years ago

Yeah the sweet spot for the dusty 101 is between late 80s and 2000. I still enjoy current production WT 101 (had quite bit last night actually) but the old stuff just has a richness and oily mouthfeel that blows away almost ever other bourbon currently produced. All my opinion obviously, but the way the price of the old stuff is going through the roof it appears I’m not alone.

#8904 3 years ago

Have had a good amount of OWA, but never RHF. I’ll try the Rockhill soon, but which is the better bottle for $50?

4146FB86-4372-4146-8C7C-358C83DD4126 (resized).jpeg4146FB86-4372-4146-8C7C-358C83DD4126 (resized).jpeg
    #8905 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

I don't need an excuse to get a new bottle, but it's always nice to have a reason. Tonight I celebrate my 46th trip around the sun.

Happy 46th. You've come another full circle.

#8906 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Damn my enthusiasm has spilled over from my restoration thread into my drinking thread! For those who don't know I bought a 13ft big ball bowler up by chicago on Easter sunday 2020. After getting it completely up and running and cleaned and everything else I got a great idea. Go buy another machine down in Cincinnati strictly for another section of lane to extend my machine out to 19.5ft. Now after months of work just on the lane section it's done. Halle-fucking-lujah it's done! Definitely time to celebrate and this will do nicely

A thing of beauty is a joy forever! Cheers!

#8907 3 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Have had a good amount of OWA, but never RHF. I’ll try the Rockhill soon, but which is the better bottle for $50?
    [quoted image]

Shit man if you scored either of those for only $50 you are a big winner!

#8908 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

[quoted image]

Bowler looks sweet! Works perfectly. I didn’t pull the trigger on the Remus because I wasn’t sure if it was any good. For $82 I wanted some feedback first.

#8909 3 years ago

I had crossed the state line into KY to get a couple kegs of beer and searched the bourbon too but nothing much to find.

#8910 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Thanks! Sticking with Turkey picks and adding in a glass of what may be the best beer on the planet.
    [quoted image]

I enjoyed the Russell's reserve ten times more than Kentucky spirit

#8911 3 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

[quoted image]

I am not a big weller fan but only tried green label and loved the rock hill farms bottle almost gone

#8912 3 years ago

Meat time

C30A0DA2-C067-424D-BDC3-FFE69DCEAF1C (resized).jpegC30A0DA2-C067-424D-BDC3-FFE69DCEAF1C (resized).jpeg
    #8913 3 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

[quoted image]

I prefer OWA myself. Rock Hill is basically 100 proof Elmer. I haven’t seen Rock Hill on a shelf for about 5 yrs. Nice finds for $50! Cheers.

#8914 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Yeah the sweet spot for the dusty 101 is between late 80s and 2000. I still enjoy current production WT 101 (had quite bit last night actually) but the old stuff just has a richness and oily mouthfeel that blows away almost ever other bourbon currently produced. All my opinion obviously, but the way the price of the old stuff is going through the roof it appears I’m not alone.

So I guess where I was going with the question about the 101 was should u be stocking up on the current 101 to be deank in another 10 or 15 years

#8915 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

So I guess where I was going with the question about the 101 was should u be stocking up on the current 101 to be deank in another 10 or 15 years

I think the difference is there’s so much bourbon going out the door now that the quality has dropped off. Back in the 80s and 90s bourbon was an out of favor spirit (everyone was drinking beer and vodka and Zima!) so even though it was 8 year age stated on the bottle it was actually 10-12 year going in. That or the old guys knew how make better bourbon, that’s the second theory haha. So no, I wouldn’t stash a bunch of 2020 101 in your crawlspace.

#8916 3 years ago

The follow up to WB Saffell. Boooo! It’s actually pretty good, tough act to follow.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #8917 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

The follow up to WB Saffell. Boooo! It’s actually pretty good, tough act to follow.
    [quoted image]

I have been seeing that around here lately. Have never gotten one

#8918 3 years ago

I have been seeing that around here lately. Have never gotten one

Yeah dude it’s like 50 for a 375, not worth it. I loved Saffell so much that I bought 2 of these upon release like a dipshit and was pretty bummed when I tasted it. I would avoid unless they mark it down to like 25. You know, when they have all those whiskey sales lol. You’d be much better off with that Remus III.

#8919 3 years ago

Can’t wait for that whiskey sale! I haven’t really had the energy to hunt around much lately. I was getting a little crazy with my addiction to hunt bourbon

#8920 3 years ago

Can’t wait for that whiskey sale! I haven’t really had the energy to hunt around much lately. I was getting a little crazy with my addiction to hunt bourbon

Yeah you get burnt out for sure. You may want to keep at it for a couple months though, it’s bourbon season. Lots of stuff being released over the next month or so.

#8921 3 years ago

Good to know! I’ll kick myself in the butt again. I’ll have to encourage my wife as she is great at surveying the playfield

#8922 3 years ago

So good. Oh my goodness, this bottle is going WAY too quickly.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #8923 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

So good. Oh my goodness, this bottle is going WAY too quickly.
    [quoted image]

D16E2BCD-E91F-482B-A355-870229401C15 (resized).pngD16E2BCD-E91F-482B-A355-870229401C15 (resized).png
    #8924 3 years ago

I survived birthday night. It must have gotten real sappy towards the end, stack of Tom T Hall, John Prine, and Townes Van Zandt records strewn about. Time to get dirty.

IMG-0501 (resized).jpgIMG-0501 (resized).jpg
    #8925 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

I survived birthday night. It must have gotten real sappy towards the end, stack of Tom T Hall, John Prine, and Townes Van Zandt records strewn about. Time to get dirty.
    [quoted image]

Great album and a nice rye.

#8926 3 years ago

Wait, I thought you made that whale yourself. ?

#8927 3 years ago

So Phabes (especially), Matt, Bill, Aaron et al. Hilton may already be hear in training.

I'm joining a new club locally that will kick the rear in a game of mountain golf and heal with the food and grand spirits.
    An open treat to anyone willing and or able to make the trek to Johnson City....
    The golf is great. the Bourbon is probably better and will be sampled all around the course.

All are welcome if you make it this fall. Enjoy some links and changing mountain colors.

#8928 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

So Phabes (especially), Matt, Bill, Aaron et al. Hilton may already be hear in training.
    I'm joining a new club locally that will kick the rear in a game of mountain golf and heal with the food and grand spirits.
    An open treat to anyone willing and or able to make the trek to Johnson City....
    The golf is great. the Bourbon is probably better and will be sampled all around the course.
    All are welcome if you make it this fall. Enjoy some links and changing mountain colors.

Hmmmm....any dates in mind?

#8929 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Hmmmm....any dates in mind?

Preferably ones not snowing.
    ample reasonable lodging nearby.

#8930 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Preferably ones not snowing.
    ample reasonable lodging nearby.

I’d love to come down but I’m booked through Oct. How is it down there in Nov?

#8931 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’d love to come down but I’m booked through Oct. How is it down there in Nov?

Many mild days. Check your Calendar !

#8932 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Many mild days. Check your Calendar !

I do want to come on over your direction for sure sometime. I would love to hang out play a little small ball and then swing by Callahans distillery of course. Have they relwased any new stuff as of late Don?

#8933 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Wait, I thought you made that whale yourself. ?

No, I remember you asking.

#8934 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I do want to come on over your direction for sure sometime. I would love to hang out play a little small ball and then swing by Callahans distillery of course. Have they relwased any new stuff as of late Don?

No, I haven't seen anything new. I haven't been by there in quite a while, I need to go look.
    They have added on to the building though. Added a gathering area for larger groups. The only groups I've seen there have been groups of bikers on the weekends!

#8935 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I sure hope you are going to load that bowler up and bring it to CrabFest.

#8936 3 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I sure hope you are going to load that bowler up and bring it to CrabFest.

Doubtful

#8937 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

No, I haven't seen anything new. I haven't been by there in quite a while, I need to go look.
    They have added on to the building though. Added a gathering area for larger groups. The only groups I've seen there have been groups of bikers on the weekends!

I would really like to see what they would release in a barrel strength offering. I nursed that bottle you sent me for about a year it was damn tasty stuff.

#8938 3 years ago

Houston we have a big problem!

20201004_155953 (resized).jpg20201004_155953 (resized).jpg
    #8939 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I would really like to see what they would release in a barrel strength offering. I nursed that bottle you sent me for about a year it was damn tasty stuff.

I've never seen a barrel proof from them. The did make some good "Angry Pecker" rum at 102 proof though.
    They do offer shipping if you want to give them a call. I can always mail some too.

#8940 3 years ago

Found this at my grandparents home, any idea of value and if any good? I cant seem to find out much about it via Google Thx!

IMG_9818.jpgIMG_9818.jpgIMG_9819.jpgIMG_9819.jpg
    #8941 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Found this at my grandparents home, any idea of value and if any good? I cant seem to find out much about it via Google Thx!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

$1500 maybe

#8942 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Better watch out trying to sell that. Theres been all kinds of fake ads here locally on Craigslist looking for booze. I know for a fact those are sting ads looking to nail people for selling alcohol without a license.

#8943 3 years ago

Doubtful because the older stuff was never even deemed top shelf way back when. It was just like the Weller products they were all bottom shelf.

#8944 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Oh my goodness! That’s seriously like a $4000-$5000 bottle of whiskey you have there. Great find!

Edit to add I thought it was a 1973 but that’s distilled date. Still worth $3000-$3500

#8945 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Oh my goodness! That’s seriously like a $4000-$5000 bottle of whiskey you have there. Great find!
    Edit to add I thought it was a 1973 but that’s distilled date. Still worth $3000-$3500

On auction I'm thinking it could go even higher.
    Finding another for comparison is near impossible.

#8946 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Awesome find ! I would take no less then $5000 for it. Putting up for auction is prob you’re best bet unless you belong to any FB bourbon groups. I could probably put you in touch with a few people who would be interested in buying it. That way you avoid the auction fees. Lmk!

#8947 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flash71:

Awesome find ! I would take no less then $5000 for it. Putting up for auction is prob you’re best bet unless you belong to any FB bourbon groups. I could probably put you in touch with a few people who would be interested in buying it. That way you avoid the auction fees. Lmk!

Anybody with two minutes of time and wants to put forth a little bit of effort rather than being an uneducated bourbon whore and just running around chasing labels could find out the truth about 1970s Bourbon in general. The bourbon industry was on the brink of bankruptcy in the mid 1970's and had lost over 66% of it's market share to Vodka. In 1972 Van Winkle had to sell off their stitzel-weller distillery because their product was putting them into bankruptcy and the Poor House. It was a low-cost bourbon and was nothing more than being sold at the very end in gimmick decanters that people used for Christmas presents and retirement gifts. I hate to go on a rant and I'm certainly not trying to dog out the product all I'm saying is do your homework here people. Stop feeding into this idea that every bottle is worth some sort of gargantuan Fortune because it simply isn't. Now if you want to put it on an auction site or you want to go to an auction site and pay a hundred times more for a bottle then by all means do it but it's absolutely foolish and it's people like that who continue to falsely raise the prices of bourbon and especially a subpar bourbon made at that particular time. Now i'm not saying it wouldn't be a cool item to own just that the product most certainly does not warant these sky high prices. Somehow, i'm assuming through some slick advertising firm they have managed to recreate their brand into this magical unicorn item that has Intentionally been made to be almost unobtainable. Again if you spend 2 minutes you could see it shares the exact same mashbill as Weller which can be had easily and at a normal price.

#8948 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Stop feeding into this idea that every bottle is worth some sort of gargantuan Fortune because it simply isn't.

Strangely this is what we are seeing in pinball prices in the past 6 months over here although the string i'm drawing on this bow is a thin connection granted.
    There have been instances of machines like TOTAN listed at 40K AUD and even modern'ish Sterns like Tron as 25-30K and more modern LE's (within the past 5 years) listed at 25K.. Shit has been CRAZY!! and the scary thing is some people are willing to buy them too!!

#8949 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

Strangely this is what we are seeing in pinball prices in the past 6 months over here although the string i'm drawing on this bow is a thin connection granted.
    There have been instances of machines like TOTAN listed at 40K AUD and even modern'ish Sterns like Tron as 25-30K and more modern LE's (within the past 5 years) listed at 25K.. Shit has been CRAZY!! and the scary thing is some people are willing to buy them too!!

Yeah different topic but very good analogy because it's the exact same thing. People just over paying for shit and it's just mind-boggling why. I mean it's great if you're the guy who has the machines or the bottles that people want. Obviously there are many people who have more money than sense to pay crazy prices for them. It sucks if you're just average Joe Blow collector just looking to upgrade your liquor cabinet or your pinball collection.

#8950 3 years ago

I can dance just like Michael Jackson!

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/179 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.