Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 235.
    #751 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

No but I'd love to share a little Falstaff with you if you have a few.
    Care for a Shlitz?
    [quoted image]

IMG_6094 (resized).JPGIMG_6094 (resized).JPG
    #752 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

No but I'd love to share a little Falstaff with you if you have a few.
    Care for a Shlitz?
    [quoted image]

I collect a lot of falstaff stuff. You would think that being from St Louis that I would be able to find all kinds of things around here but it turns out that I get a lot of items from Wisconsin and Indiana.

#753 4 years ago

I'm out chasing the white perch this evening. Here's to you Pinside, splicing the mainbrace. (Knob Creek flask filled with Evan Williams bottled in bond) Not much luck with the fish, but hopefully that changes once the water gets warmer. Rockfish (stripped bass) season opens in two days!

KIMG3169 (resized).jpgKIMG3169 (resized).jpg
    #754 4 years ago

What an awesome customer. We do the amusements at a small establishment in Pittsburgh, the owner knows I collect bourbon, over the years I've treated him well in both games and hard to get liquor. Today he hooked me up with the 3 bottles in the front. He knows the way to my heart.

20190418_153723 (resized).jpg20190418_153723 (resized).jpg
    #755 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

What an awesome customer. We do the amusements at a small establishment in Pittsburgh, the owner knows I collect bourbon, over the years I've treated him well in both games and hard to get liquor. Today he hooked me up with the 3 bottles in the front. He knows the way to my heart.
    [quoted image]

Hell your customer and me have never met but he clearly knows the way to my heart as well

#756 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

[quoted image]

Sweet! I haven't had the four year rye, (yet) but I feel that the Willett Family Reserve (bourbon or rye) line is something that should be bought on sight! Price being "reasonable".

#757 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Sweet! I haven't had the four year rye, (yet) but I feel that the Willett Family Reserve (bourbon or rye) line is something that should be bought on sight! Price being "reasonable".

Any Willet rye 4 years and older is great as far as I’m concerned.

#758 4 years ago

Happy thirsty Thursday all.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #759 4 years ago

gents, I had a good friend that did me a real solid favor. I'd like to pay him back with at least 2 bottles of bourbon. I roped him into Weller a few years back but it's pricing has just gotten stupid - see lots of previous rants...

I picked up a bottle of Bookers (2/18 date) and I'd like to add something else to the mix. I was thinking maybe Noah's Mill? Price point I'm looking for is $50-65ish true retail (not 2ndary or shaddy liquor store markup). I've been really enjoying the Rowans Creek so I'd expect the Noah's Mill to be even better? I don't dabble much at the $50+ level so I'm looking for some advice on things are readily available (yes Eagle Rare is awesome and so is Blanton's but I need something I can pick-up at a decent liquor store) I was looking at a bottle of the Makers Private Select or Makers 46?

#760 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

gents, I had a good friend that did me a real solid favor. I'd like to pay him back with at least 2 bottles of bourbon. I roped him into Weller a few years back but it's pricing has just gotten stupid - see lots of previous rants...
    I picked up a bottle of Bookers (2/18 date) and I'd like to add something else to the mix. I was thinking maybe Noah's Mill? Price point I'm looking for is $50-65ish true retail (not 2ndary or shaddy liquor store markup). I've been really enjoying the Rowans Creek so I'd expect the Noah's Mill to be even better? I don't dabble much at the $50+ level so I'm looking for some advice on things are readily available (yes Eagle Rare is awesome and so is Blanton's but I need something I can pick-up at a decent liquor store) I was looking at a bottle of the Makers Private Select or Makers 46?

I would recommend Col EH Taylor, a Four Roses Single Barrel (possible store pick?), one the various 1792 variants (Full Proof, Port Finish, etc), Issac Bowman, or Pure Kentucky XO. Pure Kentucky pricing, like some of my other suggestions, is all over the place-I'm just a sucker for the 107 proof. Not sure what the market in your area is at-but Elijah Craig Barrel Proof might be at the high end of your price point, if you can find it for retail. *Probably lying to myself, as I haven't seen it at retail in two years. Also considering you mentioned Weller, try finding a bottle of the Rebel Yell 10 year. Not Weller, but a wheater with an age statement at a "decent" value. Good luck with the hunt.

#761 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Hell your customer and me have never met but he clearly knows the way to my heart as well

Smart man that owns that bar. Haha

#762 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Happy thirsty Thursday all.

Good heavens Mrs Meade remember yourself. After all, I just bought some to share!!

16AAB495-2BA0-42AB-B252-DC6877605401 (resized).jpeg16AAB495-2BA0-42AB-B252-DC6877605401 (resized).jpeg

#763 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Quoted from vaevictis:

I would recommend Col EH Taylor, a Four Roses Single Barrel (possible store pick?), one the various 1792 variants (Full Proof, Port Finish, etc), Issac Bowman, or Pure Kentucky XO. Pure Kentucky pricing, like some of my other suggestions, is all over the place-I'm just a sucker for the 107 proof. Not sure what the market in your area is at-but Elijah Craig Barrel Proof might be at the high end of your price point, if you can find it for retail. *Probably lying to myself, as I haven't seen it at retail in two years. Also considering you mentioned Weller, try finding a bottle of the Rebel Yell 10 year. Not Weller, but a wheater with an age statement at a "decent" value. Good luck with the hunt.

I agree with all recommended above. Also, Maker’s Mark Cask Strength is outstanding. Also, don’t sleep on the Wild Turkey offerings-Rare Breed and Russell’s Single Barrel and to a lesser extent the 10 year. Since evrything Buffalo Trace offers is being Hoovered up by everyone, I’ve been loving the Wild Turkey products without having to hunt at all.

#764 4 years ago

^^^^^^

E567E71A-D699-49E3-A268-E159D7988743 (resized).jpegE567E71A-D699-49E3-A268-E159D7988743 (resized).jpeg
    #765 4 years ago

Any word on WT101 with HA date code or was it just the late G codes?

#766 4 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Any word on WT101 with HA date code or was it just the late G codes?

Good question. I am still seeing GH and GI around here but noticed the high volume seller in Maryland had HB code on the shelf.

#767 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Good question. I am still seeing GH and GI around here but noticed the high volume seller in Maryland had HB code on the shelf.

Maybe I'll just give it a try next time I'm out. Grabbed some eagle rare instead last night.

#768 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Can’t find GG or GH anywhere around me. Everything is newer. My wife found a GI in VA a month ago. Haven’t tried it yet.

#769 4 years ago

Some Saturday night pinball playin' goodness.

Calumet 10 yr......

Details: 46% ABV. 10 year age stated. Rack C0505.10. 19 barrel batch.
    Nose: Bubblegum, mixed berries, a hint of soap, cinnamon, and light oak.
    Mouth: Nice spice, with cinnamon, ripe fruits, mint, and oak.
    Finish: Warm and of decent length. Lingering baking spice, ripe fruits, mint, and oak.

There you go... like a fine wine.

IMG_5336 (resized).jpegIMG_5336 (resized).jpeg

#770 4 years ago

Sad toast tonight as I lost one my best friends Friday night. Here’s to you Danny,

#771 4 years ago

Been drinking this one the past two nights at my Parents house, my Dad bought about 20yrs ago and we just opened it, very nice. Also trying to finish off the limited JD Sinatra as well.

7AB7D60C-9219-4A8F-96D6-30AADA6877BA (resized).jpeg7AB7D60C-9219-4A8F-96D6-30AADA6877BA (resized).jpegD7FB2C53-2179-4851-984B-BAF57A8A4627 (resized).jpegD7FB2C53-2179-4851-984B-BAF57A8A4627 (resized).jpegE0E48A5E-B8B8-4C19-9B17-695AE9048DF8 (resized).jpegE0E48A5E-B8B8-4C19-9B17-695AE9048DF8 (resized).jpeg
    #772 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Sad toast tonight as I lost one my best friends Friday night. Here’s to you Danny,
    [quoted image]

Sorry for your loss man

#773 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Sorry for your loss man

Thank you.

#774 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

[quoted image]

Getting old sucks in many ways. Toast to Danny.

#775 4 years ago

Has anyone tried the WB Saffell? I’m curious to see if it’s worth picking up

#777 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Anyone have any pappy on hand?

Yeah. It's in the safe. (:

#778 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I usually leave gold and silver coins in easier to find places so if someone attempts to rob me they will hopefully NOT locate my Pappy

#779 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

are there a lot of bourbon thieves on the prowl?

#780 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Anyone have any pappy on hand?

I'm assuming you've never had a bottle, so pardon me if this is incorrect...

Here's the thing; literally the only thing the ENTIRE PVW line has going for it, especially now that all of the hallowed Stitzel-Weller juice has long been used, is hype. They are essentially status symbols now; trinkets, talisman, tulip-mania if you will. Literally anyone who drinks bourbon, or pretends to, knows what it is, and is perpetually on the hunt for it.

As a "normie", you will likely never see it on a shelf again. If you do, it will likely be marked up 1000%, at a minimum. Non-ABC Retailers hold back the allocations they receive to flip on the secondary markets themselves, or offer them to only their best customers, often significantly above m.s.r.p. You will never stumble into a little mom-and-pop liquor store and find a dusty one sitting on the shelf. Everyone knows what it is now. There are simply too many two-bit have-to-have-it's-stepping-over-their-own-dicks that are willing to pay insane prices for it, because they've been told it is the best thing on earth.

Let me tell you a dirty little secret.

Not all that long ago, they could be found at or below retail price, throughout the year. Retailers often times had to discount them just to move them. The whiskey drinking public simply wasn't aware of them, and if they were, people weren't willing to spend $99/$199/$299 for a bottle of American bourbon. They were really marketed as a niche product to connoisseurs. (All this sounds familiar, huh? , haha)

I'm not going to go into the brand history, because it is easily googled, but most people are chasing over-aged and over-oaked whiskey that at one point, the VanWinkle family could barely give away. When they sold their stake in SW, they kept their namesake line, and almost went bankrupt because of it. But their persistence paid off, when a bunch of bloggers and whiskey writers starting hyping it back in 2012 or so. Keep in mind that Buffalo Trace contract distills this product for the VanWinkle family; they essentially get first dibs of the wheated barrels, and get to bottle x-amount as their own private label.

That all said, is PVW good whiskey at it's retail price? I think the 15 and 20 year olds are. They certainly wouldn't be everyday pours, but I would probably rotate a bottle or two into the bar every year if they ever became regularly available again at their retail price points and quality. The 23 is like drinking oak tincture to my palate, so I'd probably skip it. Especially at $299 m.s.r.p.

I now chase the Antique Collection myself, as though while still produced in very limited quantities compared to standard offerings across the BT line, there are substantially more available. For example, they bottled nearly 40,000 bottles of George T Stagg last year. Don't get me wrong; it's still not easy to find, but it isn't exactly hen's teeth either. I give it a few more years until these become total unobtainium like their neighbors over at VW.

End rant.

#781 4 years ago

I don't know about... but if it were me.. I'd grab the Pappy first.

IMG_5355 (resized).jpegIMG_5355 (resized).jpeg

#782 4 years ago

Not Pappy, but close enough. Agree about the BTAC, but really excited about the Sweet XVI. Fulltilt Is that a Rockola on the right?

KIMG3270 (resized).jpgKIMG3270 (resized).jpgKIMG3272 (resized).jpgKIMG3272 (resized).jpg
    #783 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

fulltilt Is that a Rockola on the right?

(: General Motors.

#784 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

[quoted image]

Ahhh so all those nice guns you own are to keep theives away from your Pappy and your McIntosh? It all makes sense now

#785 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Ahhh so all those nice guns you own are to keep theives away from your Pappy and your McIntosh? It all makes sense now

No, this one is. (:

3381E6EB-47FC-470A-A723-313AC72E83E7 (resized).jpeg3381E6EB-47FC-470A-A723-313AC72E83E7 (resized).jpeg

#786 4 years ago

Would consider putting a bottle of Pappy or George T. Stagg (or both) plus cash towards a game on my wishlist. Allentown delivery possible...

#787 4 years ago

Happy whiskey wednesday

#788 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Got to see a lot of old friends this past weekend. One of whom, now lives in Texas. When we were younger and more foolish (still fools today, just less so) we would often go plinking in the woods. More often than not, we'd take his grandfather's (who I never knew-in all reality, could have 100% been his grandmother's) old M1 carbine with us. It was old and beat up, but it was sure a type writer. Straight shooter and reliable. This past weekend, I learned it was a Rockola. He still has it, but let's just say it's getting better treatment. Long rant over. Watching hockey, thinking that as long as we remember those who have passed-they still live on with us. Must be the bourbon, time for some pinball.

#789 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Happy whiskey wednesday
    [quoted image]

Nice, Full Proof store pick!

#790 4 years ago

One of these days I will dig into these...

IMG_6143 (resized).JPGIMG_6143 (resized).JPG
    #791 4 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Got to see a lot of old friends this past weekend. One of whom, now lives in Texas. When we were younger and more foolish (still fools today, just less so) we would often go plinking in the woods. More often than not, we'd take his grandfather's (who I never knew-in all reality, could have 100% been his grandmother's) old M1 carbine with us. It was old and beat up, but it was sure a type writer. Straight shooter and reliable. This past weekend, I learned it was a Rockola. He still has it, but let's just say it's getting better treatment. Long rant over. Watching hockey, thinking that as long as we remember those who have passed-they still live on with us. Must be the bourbon, time for some pinball.

One of the reasons I collect. The history is part of the weapon.
    Their wear carries the history.

B3B909BB-210E-42E6-A261-B610E936829E (resized).jpegB3B909BB-210E-42E6-A261-B610E936829E (resized).jpeg

Oh yeah! Just like a pin!

#792 4 years ago

Just found this thread, was enjoying some of this today while live streaming Black Knight

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190424204930589_COVER (resized).jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190424204930589_COVER (resized).jpg
    #793 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just found this thread, was enjoying some of this today while live streaming Black Knight
    [quoted image]

hmmm when someone says Sonoma the absolute last thing I would think of is bourbon. Thoughts on it? Pricing?

#794 4 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

hmmm when someone says Sonoma the absolute last thing I would think of is bourbon. Thoughts on it? Pricing?

I like to buy local whenever I can so I searched around a bit and found this one that is actually a California made bourbon from start to finish. Yeah I was surprised as well. I found a few other brands but they sourced from other states and finished them in California so I didn't count those. I'm far from an expert though, I'm still getting into drinking whisky straight (always mixed in the past). It was around $45 from Total Wine and they make a few versions. The one in the pic is their only bourbon I believe but they also have a 100% rye whisky, and a couple of more limited whiskeys done in cherry casks. I have both the above and their 100% rye whiskey, the rye variant is a little strong for me but their bourbon is pretty good. One thing I personally hate is smokey smell and this one doesn't have that. For palate comparison, I like Jameson as a mild drink and Maker's Mark when I want a little more bite, but personally don't like Wild Turkey or Bulleit.

#795 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

[quoted image]

But, but, but...the bag and tag are missing! It's worthless!

I half heartedly chuckle when perusing the secondary markets and see people heart broken because a bottle has a small smudge on the back label, a nick in the foil, or a hairline crack in a wax seal. Those little superficial wounds REALLY effect the taste of the whiskey!

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've thrown out 30 packs of beer because the carry handle had creasing in the cardboard.

It's like the time I noticed an irreparable scuff on the rear of the cabinet on my otherwise perfect BBB. I just couldn't bring myself to play it anymore, so I did what any other sane person would do. I Viking funeral'd that shit!

This post is mostly in jest. Mostly.

#796 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Ha I knew it as soon as I spotted it. My dad left me his mint winchester.

#797 4 years ago

moderator request**

lets stay on track with this thread please. pinball and bourbon.

**I am not a moderator, but did start the thread

this is one of my favorites currently. Much better than most places rate it IMHO.

harper15 (resized).JPGharper15 (resized).JPG
    #798 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

But, but, but...the bag and tag are missing! It's worthless! ....
    This post is mostly in jest. Mostly.

I do have the bag, it’s mint. No tag. (:

#799 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

One of the reasons I collect. The history is part of the weapon.
    Their wear carries the history.
    [quoted image]
    Oh yeah! Just like a pin!

Nice!

#800 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

moderator request**
    lets stay on track with this thread please. pinball and bourbon.
    **I am not a moderator, but did start the thread
    this is one of my favorites currently. Much better than most places rate it IMHO.[quoted image]

Coolest bottle out there, totally keeping mine for a decanter when it’s gone, which is soon. Decent pour but I wished it was proofed higher.. I know it’s a 15 year, but $85 for an 86 proofer is a bit silly.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/16?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.