Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 235.
    #701 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I like the 3 better than the 2. The 5th is going for about 500 around here and I think is overpriced.
    Has anybody tried Blood Oath? It is fantastic!

Well good. I grabbed a 3 well under $500.

#702 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Well good. I grabbed a 3 well under $500.

I paid about 280 for the 3 when it came out. The 5 is going for so much because of the distiller dying.

#703 5 years ago

Nice Collection!

#704 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

So, in recent times, I've begun collecting larger format bottles (1.75L) of bourbon. Considered doing a kind of joke calendar/photo shoot with them for friends and family. So far, besides the usual shelf inhabitants, I've collected a Weller Special Reserve, Old Fitzgerald Prime (rare around here in any size), Woodford Reserve, plus the Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig 12 year pictured above. On the lookout for a Willett Potstill Reserve and 1792. My question is has anyone actually seen other/higher end bourbons in 1.75L? I believe Weller 12 year has a 1.75L, but I've only seen the 750ml in the wild. (I'd pick up a Weller 12 in any size at a reasonable price now in the wild) Any suggestions?

My buddy picked up a Weller 12 yr 1.75L when he went to the Kentucky derby last year, and I haven’t let him forget he only bought one. I’d max out my credit card buying every one the store had.

#705 5 years ago

Man oh man I love this stuff just scored a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof. 67.6% and 135 proof. Time to get home asap and get it flowing and celebrate friday properly!

20190412_124806 (resized).jpg20190412_124806 (resized).jpg
    #706 5 years ago

Logged off and ready for the weekend. I've never had 1792. Cheers!

20190412_163102 (resized).jpg20190412_163102 (resized).jpg
    #707 5 years ago

I am a huge fan of 1792. Regular, single barrel and of course barrel strength is my favorite.

20190412_184425 (resized).jpg20190412_184425 (resized).jpg
    #708 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

Logged off and ready for the weekend. I've never had 1792. Cheers!
    [quoted image]

You chose a good one.

#709 5 years ago

Pretty stoked to try this guy, never had it. So I just noticed that I have 42 bottles of bourbon and rye open and this will be my 43rd. Anybody else have a shit ton open or do you guys just open one and drink until it’s gone? I think I may have BASS-bourbon acquisition syndrome sickness.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #710 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Pretty stoked to try this guy, never had it. So I just noticed that I have 42 bottles of bourbon and rye open and this will be my 43rd. Anybody else have a shit ton open or do you guys just open one and drink until it’s gone? I think I may have BASS-bourbon acquisition syndrome sickness.
    [quoted image]

The new "more politically correct" (ie. - DSM 5) listing should be: Bourbon Use Disorder, recurrent. ICD-10: F112.5

I'm planning to find my new "Bourbon Cabinet".

#711 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

The new "more politically correct" (ie. - DSM 5) listing should be: Bourbon Use Disorder, recurrent. ICD-10: F112.5
    I'm planning to find my new "Bourbon Cabinet".

My apologies. I’m waiting for McIntosh to come out with a bourbon cabinet myself.

#712 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

My apologies. I’m waiting for McIntosh to come out with a bourbon cabinet myself.

No idea how many bottles I have but I do know a lot of them are open

#713 5 years ago

More open, more to share. Over in my buddy's garage, enjoying some OGD 114, toasting his 1 week old son.

1555120884212475939971 (resized).jpg1555120884212475939971 (resized).jpg
    #714 5 years ago

Not really a fan of this one. Might be something to do with not have an ice cube.. too lazy to go looking for the hotel ice maker.

15551211917067950192466196327113 (resized).jpg15551211917067950192466196327113 (resized).jpg
    #715 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Not really a fan of this one. Might be something to do with not have an ice cube.. too lazy to go looking for the hotel ice maker.
    [quoted image]

#716 5 years ago

The Old Ezra was just ok, kind of a letdown. This on the other hand might be the whiskey I grab the most. Easily found, 115 proof so it’s perfect neat, and just so damn delicious.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #717 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

This is it.... find a big ass Altec Voice of the Theater speaker, gut it and use the bottom cab for storage, the woofer area for presentation and pouring shelf, and the horn on top to play some tunes. (:

8DF1165C-438E-4661-ABD5-0E25B4201DA8 (resized).png8DF1165C-438E-4661-ABD5-0E25B4201DA8 (resized).png

#718 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Not really a fan of this one.

This might be the single worst bourbon I've ever tried to drink. I do a bourbon swap with a co-worker on the east coast whenever we have a team meeting and I brought this for her without first trying it. When I bought the bottle for her, I bought one for myself. After returning from my trip, I gave it a try - terrible. I then called her to see if she had tried it. She danced around describing it so I finally said "it was terrible, right?" She agreed that it was awful. I contacted central standard afterward to let them know the batch/bottle number in case there were other complaints. I never heard from them.

This is the one and only bottle I've ever poured down the drain. It was undrinkable and I would never push it on to a guest.

So no, the lack of an ice cube isn't what made it bad - it's just bad.

Dave

#719 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

This might be the single worst bourbon I've ever tried to drink. I do a bourbon swap with a co-worker on the east coast whenever we have a team meeting and I brought this for her without first trying it. When I bought the bottle for her, I bought one for myself. After returning from my trip, I gave it a try - terrible. I then called her to see if she had tried it. She danced around describing it so I finally said "it was terrible, right?" She agreed that it was awful. I contacted central standard afterward to let them know the batch/bottle number in case there were other complaints. I never heard from them.
    This is the one and only bottle I've ever poured down the drain. It was undrinkable and I would never push it on to a guest.
    Dave

I have only had two bottles that I have ever had to pour down the drain and even though I know they're disgusting there's just something wrong mentally in my head about pouring bourbon down the drain instead of down my throat. Two bottles in question came as gifts at my 40th birthday party some years ago first was a regular bottle of Dickel it tasted like metal it was disgusting. The second bottle was some disgusting crap out of Oregon called
    Whippersnapper and it could be used in place of turpentine I think. Either way I had to pull up Taps on YouTube and play it as I was pouring those down the drain .

#720 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

So I just noticed that I have 42 bottles of bourbon and rye open and this will be my 43rd. Anybody else have a shit ton open or do you guys just open one and drink until it’s gone?

I think the minimum entry into this thread should be 15 open bottles.

#721 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Dave

I'd call it the skunky beer of Bourbons.

#722 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

I'd call it the skunky beer of Bourbons.

That's pretty appropriate. It doesn't smell good (sort of a turpentine type smell) and it finishes with some very odd flavor/notes that don't seem to be bourbon-like. The one redeeming quality of central standard is the shirt I got from them when I visited their distillery. It says "bourbon made me do it". I thought that was funny and bourbon has been involved in a few decisions. Thought about wearing it to MGC today but went for the Milwaukee Brewing Co instead. Oddly enough, Milwaukee Brewing is right next door to central standard. So go to Milwaukee brewing for their beer and then go to central standard for the bourbon shirt.

Dave

#723 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

That's pretty appropriate. It doesn't smell good (sort of a turpentine type smell) and it finishes with some very odd flavor/notes that don't seem to be bourbon-like. The one redeeming quality of central standard is the shirt I got from them when I visited their distillery. It says "bourbon made me do it". I thought that was funny and bourbon has been involved in a few decisions. Thought about wearing it to MGC today but went for the Milwaukee Brewing Co instead. Oddly enough, Milwaukee Brewing is right next door to central standard. So go to Milwaukee brewing for their beer and then go to central standard for the bourbon shirt.
    Dave

I think their barrels were tainted. Maybe presoaked in turpentine. The smell was equally as bad

#724 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

So, in recent times, I've begun collecting larger format bottles (1.75L) of bourbon. Considered doing a kind of joke calendar/photo shoot with them for friends and family. So far, besides the usual shelf inhabitants, I've collected a Weller Special Reserve, Old Fitzgerald Prime (rare around here in any size), Woodford Reserve, plus the Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig 12 year pictured above. On the lookout for a Willett Potstill Reserve and 1792. My question is has anyone actually seen other/higher end bourbons in 1.75L? I believe Weller 12 year has a 1.75L, but I've only seen the 750ml in the wild. (I'd pick up a Weller 12 in any size at a reasonable price now in the wild) Any suggestions?

Stateline Liquors in Elkton, MD has a huge bourbon selection and probably 20 different ones available in 1.75L size. They had three 1792 on the shelf today but no Willett

#725 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

I think their barrels were tainted. Maybe presoaked in turpentine. The smell was equally as bad

That’s why I contacted them. I thought maybe something went wrong with the batch I bought. That was a couple years ago so I’m left with thinking that it smells and tastes the way it does on purpose given your experience.

#726 5 years ago

I really avoid drinking anything jack daniels titled cause I think its junk. Last night a neighbor comes over and he has a new bottle he bought a while back and wanted to share. I seriously wish he hadn't! This is the nastiest shit you have ever tried hands down. I know you guys were saying how awful that "Central Standard" junk was but this shit has to be worse cause I can't imagine anything else being this bad. Bottom line if anyone offers you this turn and walk away.

20190414_141219 (resized).jpg20190414_141219 (resized).jpg
    #729 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Made in Delaware. I’m about 10 minutes from the distillery.

I haven't had their Double Troubled but found Painted Stave lacking overall.

Trying to enter the boutique bourbon markets at $36-38 dollar range with an immature 2 year is a non-starter for me. I did tour their facility in Smyrna and met the owners who were friendly, informed and eager but you just cant fake the 6-10Y in a barrel

Their "Off the Hoof" scrapple flavored vodka is disgusting, but I have their "Scarlet" cranberry vodka and it's fine

#730 5 years ago

Did a quick accounting tonight bottles vs open bottles with the following results:

19 bottles of bourbon 12 open 7 sealed
    11 bottle of scotch 11 open 0 sealed
    4 bottles of rye 3 open 1 bottle sealed
    everything else(rum, tequila, cognac, gin, Sambuca, Ouzo, Drambuie etc ) 45 bottles opened 11 sealed

TOTAL open 71 out of 90

Can anybody top 71 currently opened bottles at your home bar? Tallying up sure show the shortcomings I have for tequila (only 2 bottles) and gin (only 2 bottles) Will probably have to take care of that this week

#731 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Did a quick accounting tonight bottles vs open bottles with the following results:
    everything else(rum, tequila, cognac, gin, Sambuca, Ouzo, Drambuie etc ) 45 bottles opened 11 sealed
    TOTAL open 71 out of 90
    Can anybody top 71 currently opened bottles at your home bar? Tallying up sure show the shortcomings I have for tequila (only 2 bottles) and gin (only 2 bottles) Will probably have to take care of that this week

Dont sleep on gin people.
    About half of my empties.

20190414_214331 (resized).jpg20190414_214331 (resized).jpg
    #732 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

[quoted image]

I left that bottle of crap in the hotel room... Maybe the cleaning crew will like it. Sitting down and having some Kirkland bourbon after a long weekend at MGC.

#733 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Maybe the cleaning crew will like it.

Not if they have any taste buds...

Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I know you guys were saying how awful that "Central Standard" junk was

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd send you a bottle for you to do a taste test with. I want to say it was around $40 for 375ml bottle. I know it cost way more than it should have or what it was...

#734 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Not if they have any taste buds...

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd send you a bottle for you to do a taste test with. I want to say it was around $40 for 375ml bottle. I know it cost way more than it should have or what it was...

Wow that is very pricey especially when it tastes like total crap. Nothing worse than shelling out a bunch of money on a bottle and have it taste like a bucket of yuk.

#735 5 years ago

Moving away from the total crap. (:

Dropped by the "beverage control center" today and picked up a little pot bellied Willett.
    A nice buy for $41. I had to get 2.
    I know it's not 5 o'clock yet but it's a quarter to.

I have this irresistible urge to rub the bottle and hope Barbara Eden comes out.....
    Maybe if I have enough...

IMG_5300 (resized).jpegIMG_5300 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5301 (resized).jpegIMG_5301 (resized).jpeg

#736 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

TOTAL open 71 out of 90

I can't top those numbers but was curious to see what I have so...

30 American whisky, 21 open
    18 Scotch, 9 open
    13 Japanese, 6 open
    10 Tequila/Mezcal/Rum/Gin, 8 open
    3 Irish, 2 open
    3 Canadian, 2 open

So 48 of 77 bottles opened.

Some of the sealed are duplicates but nice to have still around 20 bottles i've not yet tried to get into. As the open bottles occasionally empty I consider opening one but haven't in quite awhile.

#737 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Dropped by the "beverage control center" today and picked up a little pot bellied Willett.
    I have this irresistible urge to rub the bottle and hope Barbara Eden comes out.....
    I know... maybe if I have enough...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Great bourbon which I recently finished a bottle....next time I head out of state I need to find another.

#738 5 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I haven't had their Double Troubled but found Painted Stave lacking overall.
    Trying to enter the boutique bourbon markets at $36-38 dollar range with an immature 2 year is a non-starter for me. I did tour their facility in Smyrna and met the owners who were friendly, informed and eager but you just cant fake the 6-10Y in a barrel
    Their "Off the Hoof" scrapple flavored vodka is disgusting, but I have their "Scarlet" cranberry vodka and it's fine

I am far from a connoisseur and I liked the unique flavor of this whiskey distilled with an IPA so I bought - $30 didn't seem like much of a risk

#739 5 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am far from a connoisseur and I liked the unique flavor of this whiskey distilled with an IPA so I bought - $30 didn't seem like much of a risk

I believe Charbay R5 is the OG of this style.

http://charbay.com/charbay-whiskey/

#740 5 years ago

Or perhaps pioneer is a better description

#741 5 years ago

Ginning this one a try.

Gotta be good... It's from Wisconsin.

IMG_20190416_204035 (resized).jpgIMG_20190416_204035 (resized).jpg
    #742 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Ginning this one a try.
    [quoted image]

Finished in Cheese Casks.
    Just kidding! (: I couldn't resist. Go Packers!

#743 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Ginning this one a try.
    [quoted image]

It was good for about 2 hours.

20190414_003310 (resized).jpg20190414_003310 (resized).jpg
    #744 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Maybe if I have enough...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Really like that one but its been a long time since I have seen a bottle around here

#745 5 years ago

Dropped in total wine yesterday and grabbed a bottle of this. Didn't get a chance to crack it open last night so will report back today with a review. If anyone has tried it please give your thoughts.

20190416_181927 (resized).jpg20190416_181927 (resized).jpg
    #746 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Dropped in total wine yesterday and grabbed a bottle of this. Didn't get a chance to crack it open last night so will report back today with a review. If anyone has tried it please give your thoughts.
    [quoted image]

This stuff is just ok. Not much on the front end and then a burn going down. Better than jack daniels but not by a whole awful lot. Bottom line I wouldn't buy again.

#747 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

No but I'd love to share a little Falstaff with you if you have a few.
    Care for a Shlitz?

IMG_5322 (resized).jpegIMG_5322 (resized).jpeg

#748 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Care for a Shlitz?

Sure! And if you have a cold Blatz sitting around I'll take that too!

Sorry, not the beer thread I know. I'll stop.

#749 5 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

Sure! And if you have a cold Blatz sitting around I'll take that too!
    Sorry, not the beer thread I know. I'll stop.

Deviation is expected. We're talking alcohol here.

#750 5 years ago

Found Eagle Rare on the shelf locally for $29.99 - guess I am forced to stock up.

Normally $36 around here if you can find it, or $35 at Total Wine which is a joke because its never there.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/15?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.