Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 235.
    #7051 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

What do you recommend to accompany Boatyard crab cakes?

Budweiser or Yuengling. Definitely got to be a beer.

#7052 3 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’m a lover. Just explaining my opinion.

It’s all good, brother. Like I said, the man has his own reasons for asking about an expensive bottle. I was just trying to answer the mail.

#7053 3 years ago

Thanks for the input. I didn’t expect that exact feedback but all the points are taken.
    For context I am not out to impress anyone. I really value the close friendships that I have and I like to give gifts that reflect that.
    How would you feel if someone gifted you a bottle of boss hog or pappy? I’ve been lucky enough to receive both in the last couple of years and it’s a wonderful feeling to know someone cares about you enough to make that investment.

#7054 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfrazie:

Looking for some suggestions.
    I'd like to give bourbon as Christmas gifts for several friends and associates.
    Any suggestions for bottles 500$ or higher.
    Best place to buy?

There really aren’t bottles that msrp for $500. Maybe Whistle Pig Boss Hog but that’s a rye and a lot of people don’t like ryes. If you want to pay secondary prices then your options really open up. Every serious whiskey lover that I know loves George T Stagg which is usually between $400-$500 secondary pricing. William LaRue Weller is another amazing bottle that is about $700-$900 secondary. Lots of people love the Van Winkle and Pappy lines and will impress if that’s what your looking for but they’re grossly overpriced in my eyes.

#7055 3 years ago

I personally would like a bottle of Elmer T Lee, 2 blantons, and weller antique.

Those 4 are doable on secondary and still some cash to spare. Hunting those down would show a lot of effort and be appreciated.

JMHO

#7056 3 years ago

I’d like 20 bottles of 101 myself.

#7057 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’d like 20 bottles of 101 myself.

Finally, a voice of reason.

#7058 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfrazie:

Thanks for the input. I didn’t expect that exact feedback but all the points are taken.
    For context I am not out to impress anyone. I really value the close friendships that I have and I like to give gifts that reflect that.
    How would you feel if someone gifted you a bottle of boss hog or pappy? I’ve been lucky enough to receive both in the last couple of years and it’s a wonderful feeling to know someone cares about you enough to make that investment.

In that case I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I would consider what the person likes and buy something that is meaningful to them. A gift for a friend is personal, and the price tag does not make it more or less valuable. It’s the thought. Friends have given me bottles of Beam that I have immediately opened and drink with them, and have had a blast. Alcohol should be drunk and more importantly, shared.

One thing that you might consider is pairing a good bottle with a meal or an event. That way, your friend has a shared experience with you, the opportunity to share a drink with you, and then later can relive the experience when they tap the bottle again. Just a thought.

#7059 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Finally, a voice of reason.

That would be hilarious just going back and forth to your car to haul in 4 cases of WT for a client haha. But wait, there’s more!

#7060 3 years ago

Hey @chisox, just curious, why are ryes so much more expensive than bourbons? Outside of Whistle Pig, there are a bunch of ryes in the $100 to $250 range at MSRP. I have had a lot of ryes that I like more than bourbons and that I am willing to pay more for, but don’t know why the prices are so skewed.

#7061 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Hey chisox, just curious, why are ryes so much more expensive than bourbons? Outside of Whistle Pig, there are a bunch of ryes in the $100 to $250 range at MSRP. I have had a lot of ryes that I like more than bourbons and that I am willing to pay more for, but don’t know why the prices are so skewed.

Generally speaking, rye is a more expensive commodity than corn, so a higher rye bill means a higher cost of goods per barrel.

#7062 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Generally speaking, rye is a more expensive commodity than corn, so a higher rye bill means a higher cost of goods per barrel.

Makes sense. Thanks! With that being said, Peerless Bourbon is 60 and the Rye is 120. Granted, I think the Rye tastes twice as good (both are good, but the Rye is better) but still, it is double.

#7063 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Makes sense. Thanks! With that being said, Peerless Bourbon is 60 and the Rye is 120. Granted, I think the Rye tastes twice as good (both are good, but the Rye is better) but still, it is double.

Never had the Peerless rye but i'm pretty sure I speak for bowz and myself when I say their bourbon is some kind of magical elixir!

#7064 3 years ago

A friend of mine just got one of these for his bar, I want one for home.

#7065 3 years ago

That’s pretty sweet!

#7066 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

A friend of mine just got one of these for his bar, I want one for home.

Thats freaking awesome. How much does one of those machines run?

#7067 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Thats freaking awesome. How much does one of those machines run?

I think he paid $1500, plus shipping from Ireland. Some of that may end up getting subsidized by Jameson I would bet, his bar is a very high volume account for them.

#7068 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

I think he paid $1500, plus shipping from Ireland. Some of that may end up getting subsidized by Jameson I would bet, his bar is a very high volume account for them.

I googled it but I could not find any pricing on it. I did find out that those machines 1st appeared in 1971 which is pretty damm cool. I can't believe I've never seen one before now. Definitely let us know if you score one that would be a fantastic addition to any bar

#7069 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I googled it but I could not find any pricing on it. I did find out that those machines 1st appeared in 1971 which is pretty damm cool. I can't believe I've never seen one before now. Definitely let us know if you score one that would be a fantastic addition to any bar

Apparently a container that had new old stock was recently discovered somewhere in Ireland. A representative from Jameson passed the info on to my friend and helped facilitate the acquisition. Between his bar and the two other bars of one of his partners they buy 10's of thousands of dollars of Jameson products (pre covid) per year. I honestly do not know if any more will become available, I just found out about these when I stopped in his place this morning on a sales call. I've been to Ireland a few times, went to dozens of pubs, and have never seen one before.

#7070 3 years ago

Let’s go!! First OF barrel proof store pick in Chicago. Happy whiskey Wednesday boys.

809CA2A2-4FA8-4F0C-986D-900ED1EE64CD (resized).jpeg809CA2A2-4FA8-4F0C-986D-900ED1EE64CD (resized).jpeg
    #7071 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Let’s go!! First OF barrel proof store pick in Chicago. Happy whiskey Wednesday boys.
    [quoted image]

Yes! You cracking that tonight?

#7072 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

It’s all good, brother. Like I said, the man has his own reasons for asking about an expensive bottle. I was just trying to answer the mail.

Yeah I thought I was replying to him too.

#7073 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I personally would like a bottle of Elmer T Lee, 2 blantons, and weller antique.
    Those 4 are doable on secondary and still some cash to spare. Hunting those down would show a lot of effort and be appreciated.
    JMHO

Do you want an Antique? I can find them pretty regularly

#7074 3 years ago

Samples received! Thanks Matt

#7075 3 years ago

I've never seen antique in my State. If you are willing, I'd work out a purchase.

#7076 3 years ago

Samples received! Thanks Matt

Glad they got there ok. We will have to figure out when folks are available. Might be a week or so.

#7077 3 years ago

Would love to! I have never even seen it in the wild!

#7078 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

[quoted image]

Oooooohhhhhh.....Aaaahhhhhhh.... Billy likes

#7079 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

JMHO

Maybe trade for a R&M?

IMG_4820 (resized).JPGIMG_4820 (resized).JPGIMG_4821 (resized).JPGIMG_4821 (resized).JPGIMG_4822 (resized).JPGIMG_4822 (resized).JPG
    #7080 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Maybe trade for a R&M? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This guy has a candy store!! Dag!

#7081 3 years ago

is this a store? or your personal collection?

#7082 3 years ago

I've shown some pics of this stash before; this is just the downstairs cabinet

The days of $150 cases are LONG gone *SIGH*. I remember the day that article came out about making "poor man's pappy", and knew owa and w12 would be the next things to disappear. Thankfully, I bunkered "a few".

A give a few away to close friends for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. every year. The way things are now, though, this practice will come to an unfortunate end, as I want be sure I have enough for years to come.

That said, I always bring a bottle or two of OWA to pinball shows to share as well, as many can vouch for. You meet a lot of nice people when you drink Antique!

IMG_2970 (resized).JPGIMG_2970 (resized).JPG
    #7083 3 years ago

Looks like Stagg Jr batch 14 was released yesterday....go get ‘em boys!

#7084 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Yes! You cracking that tonight?

I did not crack it but early sentiment is that it’s garbage haha. *Sad trombone*

#7085 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I did not crack it but early sentiment is that it’s garbage haha. *Sad trombone*

Bummer

#7086 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Looks like Stagg Jr batch 14 was released yesterday....go get ‘em boys!

BE709DD6-4445-4B37-83C7-E80C9EE3CCBD.gifBE709DD6-4445-4B37-83C7-E80C9EE3CCBD.gif
    #7087 3 years ago

Matt... samples arrived

I could zoom on Friday. not sure what others schedules are?

#7088 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Matt... samples arrived
    I could zoom on Friday. not sure what others schedules are?

Glad you got the samples. I could do Friday as well. Gents, would Friday work? If nothing else, we can push.

#7089 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Glad you got the samples. I could do Friday as well. Gents, would Friday work? If nothing else, we can push.

No Bueno for me on friday gotta work saturday morning

#7090 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

No Bueno for me on friday gotta work saturday morning

what do you do for work Bill? always those early saturday...

#7091 3 years ago

Holy shit my collection seems so pathetic in comparison to this 1 pic.

#7092 3 years ago

Got my samples as well. I am flexible (meaning, any day would work for me).

#7093 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Holy shit my collection seems so pathetic in comparison to this 1 pic.

Eh, don't feel bad, I've been at it a lllloooooonnnnnggggg time...

I could generally say the same thing about some of the pictures of folks' game rooms right in this thread!

Cheers everybody!

#7094 3 years ago

I’m gonna be in Michigan for a while, don’t wait on me though. Thanks Matt!

#7095 3 years ago

My preference is to get more folks than not. Should we wait a few weeks?

#7096 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

My preference is to get more folks than not. Should we wait a few weeks?

I agree.

Matt, you are host and sample provider. Sounds like we need a Saturday to get Bill in.
    I suggest picking a Saturday or 2 or 3 in the future that work for you and then we can reply with availability for those dates and then go with whatever has the most.

#7097 3 years ago

also... status check on Bowz... is he in a still of pearless somewhere?

#7098 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

also... status check on Bowz... is he in a still of pearless somewhere?

I think bowz took a part time janitor job at the Peerless distillery to get discounted bottles

#7099 3 years ago

Sample folks, do you prefer the 15th or 22nd?

Of course, we can do ordinary drinking and zooming before that time.

#7100 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Sample folks, do you prefer the 15th or 22nd?

Yes.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/142?hl=jaeg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.