2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 532 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Fulltilt
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 186 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5042 (resized).jpeg
    4134A50B-A08A-44D4-998D-69A4E0D5A135 (resized).jpeg
    KIMG0514 (resized).jpg
    E809F02D-8ACB-459D-A3BC-F2954B0DC81F (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5791 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_5665 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190314-170517_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190313_210357 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190308_174432 (resized).jpg
    KIMG2729 (resized).jpg
    festival (resized).jpg
    3CBEE096-5974-48A9-A3E3-C74E4B8C136C (resized).jpeg
    52BE5BDC-2CBD-439B-8B9B-DFD5C2A6BC8A (resized).jpeg
    59F0AD41-9A27-4F4F-BA4E-B66DE4A7BB40 (resized).jpeg
    85BB7168-A570-42B9-BD53-ECA77248B892 (resized).jpeg

There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
    #501 8 days ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Actually, thinking a bit about it, I saw all GI. But just to be clear-I’m on the hunt for GG, correct?

GG, GH, GI have all been very good. From my understanding, anything released up to today, and for the immediate future, should have a significantly larger proportion of 10 year old barrels in the mix. WT101 is currently advertised as a blend of 6-8 year old barrels.

I happen to feel bourbon hits its sweet spot between 10-14 years old in most instances; too young (as most releases are these days) and it tastes less complex and more alcohol forward, too old (looking at you pappy 20/23) and it's like drinking oak tincture. Obviously bottling "to taste/profile" has its merits, but there is no substitute for time in the wood. I have yet to find a bourbon that I thought was better after its age statement had been removed or lowered, and I've proven this multiple times with countless blind tastings. Bourbon can reach maturity sooner than anticipated, and in fact become "too ripe", but this most definitely an exception, and not the rule.

I'm pretty basic when it comes to bourbon, really.

Give me a corn heavy mash bill, preferably sweetened up with some wheat, (or the rye portion throttled back some), give me 10 years in the wood, and give me at least 94 proof, 100 being better, 107 being optimal. To me, that is basic bourbon, which used to be so common, but now is getting harder and harder to find.

Jim, Jack, and the rest of the watered down, over-priced regulars are basically swill to me at this point; genuine proof and age is actually needed to carry flavonoids. If it wasn't for the advertising campaigns and ties to Sinatra, run of the mill JD would be bottom shelf $15 whiskey at best.

#502 6 days ago

On the job today installing tablets for their POS. Nice BBQ place with a healthy bourbon selection. That also told me they are having a bourbon tasting with management at 10 to pick a new Buffalo Trace single barrel exclusive and they said I could join in!

59F0AD41-9A27-4F4F-BA4E-B66DE4A7BB40 (resized).jpeg85BB7168-A570-42B9-BD53-ECA77248B892 (resized).jpegDFBAEB50-B2D9-4BF4-8365-A824129A5E68 (resized).jpeg52BE5BDC-2CBD-439B-8B9B-DFD5C2A6BC8A (resized).jpeg3CBEE096-5974-48A9-A3E3-C74E4B8C136C (resized).jpeg
    #503 6 days ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

On the job today installing tablets for their POS. Nice BBQ place with a healthy bourbon selection. That also told me they are having a bourbon tasting with management at 10 to pick a new Buffalo Trace single barrel exclusive and they said I could join in![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Daaaaamn. I didn't think it was possible for a place like that to exist outside of KY.

#504 6 days ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Daaaaamn. I didn't think it was possible for a place like that to exist outside of KY.

It’s in Delaware. And they have 2 locations. And once a month they have an exclusive bourbon tasting dinner for $150 a head. You get to sip on things like Pappy.

#505 6 days ago

Lucky if you're near enough to Louisville!

festival (resized).jpg

#506 6 days ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

On the job today installing tablets for their POS. Nice BBQ place with a healthy bourbon selection. That also told me they are having a bourbon tasting with management at 10 to pick a new Buffalo Trace single barrel exclusive and they said I could join in![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Old Fitzgerald(s) and the the Willett Family Reserve have piqued my curiosity. How was the tasting?

#507 6 days ago

Oh also, thanks grandnational007 for the info. Looking forward to giving this guy a taste test. Always been a fan, it's my "daily sipper" at the local watering hole, but previously I've only kept a mini with the 7 year age statement at home.

IMG_20190308_174432 (resized).jpgKIMG2729 (resized).jpg
    #508 6 days ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

The Old Fitzgerald(s) and the the Willett Family Reserve have piqued my curiosity. How was the tasting?

The tasting was great. They selected a nice Buffalo Trace.

#509 5 days ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Anything beginning with GG (the first G being 2018, and the second G representing the 7th month, July) is good to go. I read an interview with the master distiller, Jimmy Russel, who stated that due to the release of Wild Turkey Longbranch last year, they were short of the usual 6 year old barrels they regularly used to batch WT101 with, so to keep up, they dumped a ton of 10 year old barrels instead!

I read that WT Rare Breed also benefited from this "shortage." I picked up a bottle of GG yesterday and sampled it with a neighbor. Wow--definitely worth a try for those shopping in the $40 range. I am going to pick up a few more bottles on the way home from work today.

#510 5 days ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I read that WT Rare Breed also benefited from this "shortage." I picked up a bottle of GG yesterday and sampled it with a neighbor. Wow--definitely worth a try for those shopping in the $40 range. I am going to pick up a few more bottles on the way home from work today.

Not sure what the latest proofs are, but WTRB has always been a mystery to me...not that its bad or anything, it just kind of exists in a weird market segment.

It's essentially a barrel-proof version of the standard 101 proof offering, but because of the relatively low barrel entry proof (107-115) to begin with, which is a signature of the WT brand, you only end up with a couple more proof points over the standard 101 offering.

In my neck of the woods, WTRB is a $50+ bottle, and at an average of 6-14 proof more (3%-7%), it just doesn't justify the 100+% price increase.

I saw a spread sheet a while back that showed the cost to proof ratio of barrel proof offerings over the standard versions, and was shocked to see how much of a premium you pay.

Example being: EC = $28, 94 proof. ECBP = $65+, avg 130 proof. You're only getting 18% more proof, but paying 150% premium for the uncut juice!

As I recall, OGD114 was the best bargain, as Beam charges linearly for alcohol % in the OGD line 80/$16; 86/$18; 100/$22; 114/$26

Stagg Jr, at $49 and about 130 proof is also a great bargain (when it can be found, of course) for a Buffalo Trace Product barrel proofer.

I could go on for days, and I haven't even had a drink yet, haha.

#511 5 days ago

Picked up a nice birthday present to myself last night! Can't wait to give it a try. First time trying this one.

IMG_20190313_210357 (resized).jpg
    #512 5 days ago
    Quoted from BrewNinja:

Picked up a nice birthday present to myself last night! Can't wait to give it a try. First time trying this one.
    [quoted image]

Yep-got a couple of bottles of this a little while ago. Definitely worth the price for 135 proof bourbon.
    Did find a big bottle of WT 101 with GH on the back-also very good stuff. Will be acquiring more bottles of this in the very near future.

#513 5 days ago

Been following the thread and interested in trying some bourbon. What's the best way to drink? Pour half a bottle in a tall glass and guzzle? Two three ounces over ice and sip? Picked up some Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig both 94 proof. My normal drink is rum and coke so I'm a light wait.

#514 5 days ago
    Quoted from t2:

Been following the thread and interested in trying some bourbon. What's the best way to drink? Pour half a bottle in a tall glass and guzzle? Two three ounces over ice and sip? Picked up some Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig both 94 proof. My normal drink is rum and coke so I'm a light wait.

I only drink it on the rocks and only use ice balls as they don't melt as quickly as ice cubes do. Mine is o e that came in an Elijah Craig gift pack but this one looks pretty similar.

Screenshot_20190314-170517_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #515 5 days ago

+1 on the ice ball

IMG_5665 (resized).JPG
    #516 5 days ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I only drink it on the rocks and only use ice balls as they don't melt as quickly as ice cubes do. Mine is o e that came in an Elijah Craig gift pack but this one looks pretty similar.
    [quoted image]

I only use an ice ball in cocktails for sure

#517 5 days ago

On low proof ones, I like to keep it neat. If I want it cold, Ill throw in some of those metal whiskey stones. On higher proof, Ill add a half an ice cube. Water usually opens up certain flavors. To see if you like it one way or the other, pour out a taste into 2 small glasses. Keep one neat, and one add a few drops of water (using a straw helps). See how you like it. You should take a drink of one first and then wait a minute or two to get your mouth ready before you compare. The first sip always burns a bit.

#518 4 days ago

Interesting thread.
    Agree with BrewNinja, enjoy neat for lower proof and a bit of ice for higher proof. Although I've never particularly enjoyed whiskey stones. Nothing like the feeling of those things slamming into your teeth to get your weekend started. I get them all the time as gifts and theres probably 4-5 packs of them just taking up space in the freezer.

#519 4 days ago
    Quoted from plovis:

Interesting thread.
    Agree with BrewNinja, enjoy neat for lower proof and a bit of ice for higher proof. Although I've never particularly enjoyed whiskey stones. Nothing like the feeling of those things slamming into your teeth to get your weekend started. I get them all the time as gifts and theres probably 4-5 packs of them just taking up space in the freezer.

Agreed; whisky stones are the dumbest things ever...they appear like a great idea on paper, but the execution is shit. Plus they don't have the thermal mass to really do anything at all. And like you, I get a set at least once a year as a gift because family and friends know me as a "whiskey guy". I've started putting them in house plant pots around the house as decorations, haha.

If I want my bourbon cold, I add a cube. If I want it cold, with no watered down taste, I either put a glencairn in the freezer for 20 minutes, or put the bottle in the fridge or freezer for a little while, depending on how cold I want it. It doesn't have to be complicated, haha.

#520 4 days ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I've started putting them in house plant pots around the house as decorations, haha.

Now thats a solid idea. I've been getting zero utility out of them all this time...

#521 4 days ago

I prefer all my whiskey chilled. That said, I don't have a problem with whiskey stones. However, my gel filled glasses, meant to be frozen, make for an easier clean up.

#522 4 days ago

I assume it best to sip your glass and not drink it like a soda or beer?
    Is it ok to leave bourbon in the frig?
    I like the test sample idea
    Thanks

#523 4 days ago
    Quoted from t2:

I assume it best to sip your glass and not drink it like a soda or beer?
    Is it ok to leave bourbon in the frig?
    I like the test sample idea
    Thanks

I keep a bottle of Weller Special Reserve in the freezer for bourbon-diet cokes and manhattans; works well.

#524 4 days ago

Happy St. Paddy’s day weekend. Slainte.

image (resized).jpg
    #525 4 days ago

I agree most whiskey stones are pointless, but this set of metal ones I have are awesome. They work awesome. The insides are filled with the same thing as are in the blue ice packs. Work great.

#526 3 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Happy St. Paddy’s day weekend. Slainte.
    [quoted image]

Right back at ya!

IMG_5791 (resized).JPG
    #527 3 days ago

Well, I’m not Irish, but I’ll honor the holiday by doing what’s right.
    Happy St Pats day!

E809F02D-8ACB-459D-A3BC-F2954B0DC81F (resized).jpeg
    #528 3 days ago

Not Irish either, but ferda-a la' Letterkenny:

KIMG0514 (resized).jpg
    #529 3 days ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Well, I’m not Irish, but I’ll honor the holiday by doing what’s right.
    Happy St Pats day!
    [quoted image]

That’s a Bowz pour for sure! Is that a store pick Antique by the way?

#530 2 days ago

My latest pickups. Can’t wait to try them out.

4134A50B-A08A-44D4-998D-69A4E0D5A135 (resized).jpeg
    #531 2 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

That’s a Bowz pour for sure! Is that a store pick Antique by the way?

Yessir it is. My fav...

#532 2 days ago

Since I live on Knob Creek, how could I resist.
    Nellie approved.

IMG_5042 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    $ 5.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.50
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 532 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside