Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,703 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jodester
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4E21DF7-8AFC-4911-B405-44CB5AFC7064 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
    sommelier (resized).jpg
    AAAB1EF4-5803-4563-8F11-009F2C826010.gif
    FB4A1E07-2E2A-47B5-8485-E6C1C9D7AF30 (resized).jpeg
    EFAADA77-326E-486E-A3B8-4F0D030A5C2E (resized).jpeg
    C5FDF64D-8F52-44BB-ACF1-DA1A0C6C5372 (resized).jpeg
    88CC51C8-0381-4405-9941-A364971BE262 (resized).jpeg
    D1173EF7-53E2-4D4E-9E6E-7993D6D314F5 (resized).jpeg
    clark.gif
    27DCFF04-13D1-4D4A-BDBB-758E2F287886 (resized).jpeg
    08092C66-CAD4-4B5F-9F80-AF01F65A5B6D (resized).jpeg
    3AB46A03-5183-40E8-BFC3-26D5D8B14E9C (resized).jpeg
    frank.gif
    123198A7-6B1E-412F-8572-9F72AD9B8D75.gif
    327B48FC-A3DE-429F-A2A8-9107F0FE72E3 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 235.
    #451 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I can tell. That bottle looks empty. (:
    BTW, new basement looks great. Makes me want to have a few and get Dialed In.

Thanks! Yeah we’re pretty happy with the way it turned out. If you’re ever in town, look me up. We can flip, spin some tunes, shoot some guns, and drink some bourbon.

#452 5 years ago

I agree w u on bullet. Good stuff, It's from the frontier

#453 5 years ago
    Quoted from PrinzFred:

Loved reading this post. A shoutout to the Duke of Bourbon in Medieval Madness. A perfect marriage of two of my favorite hobbies.
    At my pinball bar we have Jack in the well, and Bulleit (bourbon / rye), Woodford Reserve, and Laws on the shelf. I think Bulleit Bourbon is a great value / quality alternative. At home I also enjoy Bookers and Basil Hayden’s with a nightly game of pinball.

The Duke of Bourbon is the patron saint of this thread.

#454 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Thanks! Yeah we’re pretty happy with the way it turned out. If you’re ever in town, look me up. We can flip, spin some tunes, shoot some guns, and drink some bourbon.

oh baby, you got me goin’.
    Come TN way, we’ll show you some southern hospitality.

1 week later
    #455 5 years ago

Any crossover Brandy fans here?

#456 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckycreature:

Any crossover Brandy fans here?

What's a crossover Brandy?

Got some crossover rum here.
    Not a bourbon though, sorry. (:

IMG_4965 (resized).jpegIMG_4965 (resized).jpeg

#457 5 years ago

Picked up a few necessities in Macon, Georgia today as a side stop on a pinball pick-up trip. Some nice stuff we don’t see up north!

BDA970AF-4446-404D-B751-1824C8A0B7F6 (resized).jpegBDA970AF-4446-404D-B751-1824C8A0B7F6 (resized).jpeg
    #458 5 years ago

Relatively new to the bourbon world, about 6 solid months under my belt. I’ve had Bulliet, Makers, Woodford, Blanton’s and maybe 1-2 more I can’t remember. Really enjoy Blanton’s. Stopped today to grab another bottle and noticed this sign, anything worthy and is anything grossly over priced?

CF622B2D-3365-457B-9B7F-AA518020D7FB (resized).jpegCF622B2D-3365-457B-9B7F-AA518020D7FB (resized).jpeg
    #459 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Relatively new to the bourbon world, about 6 solid months under my belt. I’ve had Bulliet, Makers, Woodford, Blanton’s and maybe 1-2 more I can’t remember. Really enjoy Blanton’s. Stopped today to grab another bottle and noticed this sign, anything worthy and is anything grossly over priced?[quoted image]

Ummmm....everything on that list is overpriced. The lease overpriced is probably the Stagg, and that’s still silly.

#460 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Relatively new to the bourbon world, about 6 solid months under my belt. I’ve had Bulliet, Makers, Woodford, Blanton’s and maybe 1-2 more I can’t remember. Really enjoy Blanton’s. Stopped today to grab another bottle and noticed this sign, anything worthy and is anything grossly over priced?[quoted image]

Get the Stagg. I’ll pay the shipping too.

#461 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

double or triple over easy...

#462 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Get the Stagg. I’ll pay the shipping too.

True...the Stagg isn't too far out of bounds at all.

#463 5 years ago

I agree the Stagg is the only one priced within reason, although I still way over priced for what it is in my opinion.

#464 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I agree the Stagg is the only one priced within reason, although I still way over priced for what it is in my opinion.

I’d ask about some Stagg Jr.
    Usually under $100 and good stuff.

#465 5 years ago

For those that like their spirits on the less expensive side - ranked #1 in a recent blind tasting of "Bottom Shelf" (under $15 for a 750 ml bottle) bourbons:

very old barton (resized).jpgvery old barton (resized).jpg

On a semi-related note, Pabst just announced that it's coming out with a PBR Whiskey.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/03/great-news-cheap-drinkers-pbr-is-making-moonshine.html

PBR Whiskey (resized).jpgPBR Whiskey (resized).jpg

#466 5 years ago

Is Stagg really $400 now? Hmm, I guess I should savor the bottle I got for $49 a few years ago.

Why does everything I like when no one else does become popular and prices me out?

#467 5 years ago

This stuff is all nice, but what's the cheapest drinkable bourbon?

I've always said it's Jim Beam. Can drink it on the rocks, good flask filler.

Some insist it's Evan Williams, but I find that stuff to be corrosive, vile rotgut, not worth the savings of a couple bucks on JB.

#468 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This stuff is all nice, but what's the cheapest drinkable bourbon?
    I've always said it's Jim Beam. Can drink it on the rocks, good flask filler.
    Some insist it's Evan Williams, but I find that stuff to be corrosive, vile rotgut, not worth the savings of a couple bucks on JB.

For 20 to 30 bucks my favs are buffalo trace and eagle rare. Out of eagle at the moment. My favorite budget JB is on the right. Below these and it goes into the cocktails.

32F07CC6-1781-4566-878A-A2B7FD652593 (resized).jpeg32F07CC6-1781-4566-878A-A2B7FD652593 (resized).jpeg
    #469 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

For 20 to 30 bucks my favs are buffalo trace and eagle rare. Out of eagle at the moment. My favorite budget JB is on the right. Below these and it goes into the cocktails.[quoted image]

Oh, and the Weller Special Reserve at 20 bucks - in the background - is a good one too!

#470 5 years ago

My liquor hook up told me that Weller is going way up in price in the very near future, which totally blows since that’s my fav of anything.

These are my 2 cheap go-to’s.
    Distillers cut $20 and is 100 proof
    Old grand dad 114 is $25

4DAAB01E-0B14-4BDF-A88B-4EFEA17D2E0C (resized).jpeg4DAAB01E-0B14-4BDF-A88B-4EFEA17D2E0C (resized).jpegAC792D8F-8500-4D56-BC7C-AE6D2897389B (resized).jpegAC792D8F-8500-4D56-BC7C-AE6D2897389B (resized).jpeg
    #471 5 years ago

Yeah, I definitely like my bourbon...

This is the "small" bunker down by the machines. I did a little rearranging the other evening.

I'm glad that I used to be able to buy owa by the case for $140 out the door, especially now that the new retail cost has climbed to roughly $50 per bottle in CT, if you can even find it. Forget secondary, its at or over $100 now.

I'm also a fan of EC. Glad I hoarded it too, prior to the age statement removal, believe I used to get those for about $200 a case.

My real go-to's are BT and ER, but they are starting to creep up too. I go out of my way to get store picks of nearly any BT product, as they are usually superior. It helps when you are on the tasting panel, haha.

CrazyLevi Still working on that Lexington, huh? As to answer your question, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are certainly solid (around $32 and $29 in CT). Weller Special Reserve ($20) isn't bad either, but is hard to find these days.

My real secret these days, which I'll probably regret for sharing is Wild Turkey 101 ($22). The trick is to find new bottles, however. Flip the bottle around and look at the tiny laser etched code. Anything beginning with GG (the first G being 2018, and the second G representing the 7th month, July) is good to go. I read an interview with the master distiller, Jimmy Russel, who stated that due to the release of Wild Turkey Longbranch last year, they were short of the usual 6 year old barrels they regularly used to batch WT101 with, so to keep up, they dumped a ton of 10 year old barrels instead! It's now outstanding. I drink it straight, mostly; but on the rocks, mixed with a diet coke, even in a cocktail are all excellent. It's great stuff nowadays.

A couple other great ones are any of the bottled-in-bond bottom shelfers. Old Grand Dad BIB, Evan Williams BIB, Jim Beam BIB. All highly undervalued.

Finally, any of the Jim beam selects (disteller's cut, black, etc.) are all very good, especially when they are under $23. Don't over pay for these. I've seen them as high as $35 and laugh. If you like the Beam profile, you'll love these. And if you really like the Beam profile, splurge once in a while and get a Booker's; it's essentially the honey barrels of Beam, at barrel proof. Great stuff, especially before they raised the price from $49 to $79 a couple years ago.

bourb (resized).JPGbourb (resized).JPGbourb2 (resized).JPGbourb2 (resized).JPGbourb3 (resized).JPGbourb3 (resized).JPG

#472 5 years ago

+1 on the Wild Turkey 101...and thanks for the info on the recent bottlings being superior, going to hunt one down.

#473 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

+1 on the Wild Turkey 101...and thanks for the info on the recent bottlings being superior, going to hunt one down.

the good thing, unless you're like me and like "the hunt", haha, is that there is no more hunt. WT101 is literally everywhere where bourbon is sold. Find a liquor store that has it in stock, check the date code, then buy a bottle here and there. Rinse, wash, repeat. Trust me, they'll still be sitting there when you return for another...The best part, is they offer this in 1.75 size, and it's $34. Smoking deal these days for a bourbon of this quality.

For the wheater fans, I've been enjoying the hell out of Makers Mark (Gasp!) Cask Strength these days. I tried it when it first came out, when it was grossly overpriced and only available in 375ml bottles, and didn't care for the florally, perfumy aftertaste. Fast forward a few years, and I tried it again, and it was excellent. Very close to being on par with WLW, and for $44, it's the best deal in wheated, cask strength bourbon.

#474 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

This is the "small" bunker down by the machines. I did a little rearranging the other evening. ...

#475 5 years ago

My real secret these days, which I'll probably regret for sharing is Wild Turkey 101 ($22). The trick is to find new bottles, however. Flip the bottle around and look at the tiny laser etched code. Anything beginning with GG (the first G being 2018, and the second G representing the 7th month, July) is good to go. I read an interview with the master distiller, Jimmy Russel, who stated that due to the release of Wild Turkey Longbranch last year, they were short of the usual 6 year old barrels they regularly used to batch WT101 with, so to keep up, they dumped a ton of 10 year old barrels instead! It's now outstanding. I drink it straight, mostly; but on the rocks, mixed with a diet coke, even in a cocktail are all excellent. It's great stuff nowadays.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

First off, that is a bad ass bourbon collection!!
    I had either heard this from someone else or read this, but now that you’re confirming it, I’m gonna go hunt down a bottle or 2 to try it for myself.
    How can you tell when this runs out? The date goes to 2019?

#476 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Is Stagg really $400 now? Hmm, I guess I should savor the bottle I got for $49 a few years ago.
    Why does everything I like when no one else does become popular and prices me out?

US$49?!? Stagg Jr. or George T Stagg?

#477 5 years ago

This is the "small" bunker down by the machines. I did a little rearranging the other evening.
    I'm glad that I used to be able to buy owa by the case for $140 out the door, especially now that the new retail cost has climbed to roughly $50 per bottle in CT, if you can even find it. Forget secondary, its at or over $100 now.
    I'm also a fan of EC. Glad I hoarded it too, prior to the age statement removal, believe I used to get those for about $200 a case.
    My real go-to's are BT and ER, but they are starting to creep up too. I go out of my way to get store picks of nearly any BT product, as they are usually superior. It helps when you are on the tasting panel, haha.
    crazylevi Still working on that Lexington, huh? As to answer your question, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are certainly solid (around $32 and $29 in CT). Weller Special Reserve ($20) isn't bad either, but is hard to find these days.
    A couple other great ones are any of the bottled-in-bond bottom shelfers. Old Grand Dad BIB, Evan Williams BIB, Jim Beam BIB. All highly undervalued.
    Finally, any of the Jim beam selects (disteller's cut, black, etc.) are all very good, especially when they are under $23. Don't over pay for these. I've seen them as high as $35 and laugh. If you like the Beam profile, you'll love these. And if you really like the Beam profile, splurge once in a while and get a Booker's; it's essentially the honey barrels of Beam, at barrel proof. Great stuff, especially before they raised the price from $49 to $79 a couple years ago.

That is a sweet bunker sir, I applaud you. I'm holding on to my last three bottles of the old style OWA, and then I see your bunker! Agree with the EC age statement too. I read this review the other day and it made me sad: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/elijah-craig-small-batch

#478 5 years ago

crazylevi Still working on that Lexington, huh? As to answer your question, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are certainly solid (around $32 and $29 in CT). Weller Special Reserve ($20) isn't bad either, but is hard to find these days.

Yeah I like both eagle and buffalo trace. Good call.

That Lexington was indeed swill. It didn’t go to waste though - I pawn it off to the moochers at the Funtorium while I hoard the good stuff.

#479 5 years ago

Amen on the OGD 114 and the WT 101 as great daily drinkers. There is still some EH Taylor small batch out there for $34.99 which I find to be a great bang for your buck pour.

#480 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Amen on the OGD 114 and the WT 101 as great daily drinkers. There is still some EH Taylor small batch out there for $34.99 which I find to be a great bang for your buck pour.

Around these parts, you won't see that (if you see it at all) for less than $55-and that's a great deal.

#481 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

First off, that is a bad ass bourbon collection!!
    I had either heard this from someone else or read this, but now that you’re confirming it, I’m gonna go hunt down a bottle or 2 to try it for myself.
    How can you tell when this runs out? The date goes to 2019?

I've been finding tons of GG, GH, and GI; I've had all three, and all are miles above older offerings.

Realize that most people, bourbon aficionados included, usually consider WT101 to be bottom shelf, so there isn't a ton of turnover. The first store that I usually go to had two GG's and then a bunch of GA's. When more inventory arrives, I'll check those.

Knowing what I do, I absolutely expect a run on the late G coded Turkies by flippers looking for max proffitz, until the next shiny object comes along.

#482 5 years ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

Around these parts, you won't see that (if you see it at all) for less than $55-and that's a great deal.

Really? Ouch. I thought MD was state controlled liqour sales?

This is another $34.99 favorite that’s getting to be a bitch to find.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #483 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Really? Ouch. I thought MD was state controlled liqour sales?
    This is another $34.99 favorite that’s getting to be a bitch to find.
    [quoted image]

New price of $45 in CT as of a few months ago. Was $32 prior to that. There's still a few stragglers out there; I grab them when I see them at the latter price.

#484 5 years ago

Been waiting for a special occasion to crack this one, Blanton’s straight from the barrel. Got tired of waiting, so cheers!
    Edit: holy crap is this good! bowz you need to try this next time we flip.
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#485 5 years ago

You are all making me thirsty!

Cheers!

#486 5 years ago

Anyone tried eagle rare? Good value for 35-40$

#487 5 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Absolutely. I find it to be really good for the price. Another one that;s getting pretty scarce unfortunately.

#488 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Been waiting for a special occasion to crack this one, Blanton’s straight from the barrel. Got tired of waiting, so cheers!
    [quoted image]

Yeah-it’s pretty damn smooth.
    I’m not gonna tell you not to open it the next time at your house...

#489 5 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Crazily, the Meijer carries it pretty regularly by my house for $30. Got 3 bottles the last time I was there.

#490 5 years ago

Hey, those Stagg rows are growing thin...
    I tried to locate some Stagg this week and no luck... Stagg or Stagg Jr.

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

[quoted image]

One county in Maryland, Montgomery, the richest county around these parts is county controlled. I have been trying to track one of those bottles down for a good while now, a to you salute sir!

#492 5 years ago

I've been finding tons of GG, GH, and GI; I've had all three, and all are miles above older offerings.
    Realize that most people, bourbon aficionados included, usually consider WT101 to be bottom shelf, so there isn't a ton of turnover. The first store that I usually go to had two GG's and then a bunch of GA's. When more inventory arrives, I'll check those.
    Knowing what I do, I absolutely expect a run on the late G coded Turkies by flippers looking for max proffitz, until the next shiny object comes along.

Stopped at Meijer... one bottle in range. Thanks for the tip, I have always felt WT101 to be a real good bourbon but havent bought a bottle in awhile.

IMG_5714 (resized).JPGIMG_5714 (resized).JPGIMG_5717 (resized).JPGIMG_5717 (resized).JPG
    #493 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Stopped at Meijer... one bottle in range. Thanks for the tip, I have always felt WT101 to be a real good bourbon but havent bought a bottle in awhile.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!

Probably going to crack a GI tonight for "friends board game night" at my house. Bolderdash is way more fun with bourbon.

Pinball, too, haha

IMG_2165 (resized).JPGIMG_2165 (resized).JPG
    #494 5 years ago

Did a little hunting tonight, with bad results.
    Every WT101 around me had the LL starting. I don’t know if there’s a chance they can still get it, or if they’re onto more recent WT and I have no chance...

#495 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Every WT101 around me had the LL starting. I don’t know if there’s a chance they can still get it, or if they’re onto more recent WT and I have no chance...

The LL means it is from Lawrenceburg...

The two letters after the / are what you are looking for. See pics above with date code.

#496 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

They all start with "LL"; the codes you are looking for are "LL/Gxxx".

#497 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

The LL means it is from Lawrenceburg...
    The two letters after the / are what you are looking for. See pics above with date code.

Ahhh...luckily, I did look at those letters also, and none had GG. There was usually a G to start, and the second letter wasn’t a G, so I didnt pay close attention after I saw it wasn’t a G.

#498 5 years ago

They all start with "LL"; the codes you are looking for are "LL/Gxxx".

Actually, thinking a bit about it, I saw all GI. But just to be clear-I’m on the hunt for GG, correct?

#499 5 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Actually, thinking a bit about it, I saw all GI. But just to be clear-I’m on the hunt for GG, correct?

Well Grandnational007 said GG GH and GI (July, Aug and Sept. 2018) were all exceptional...

#500 5 years ago

Lol... Got this from an auction. It was charity.

IMG_20190309_231157 (resized).jpgIMG_20190309_231157 (resized).jpg
    There are 11,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 235.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-bourbon/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.