(Topic ID: 188770)

Pinball and Arcade Controller for Virtual Reality (feels real)

By Dakor

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pincadeintro[1].jpg
    r4t9uvZ[1].jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hey Pin-Fans!
    I created this post to tell you about my project VR-PinCade:
    I'm building the perfect Pinball and Arcade Games controller with immersive haptic Feedback - designed for Virtual Reality!
    VR-PinCade uses multiple techniques to create a unique and very immersive haptic feedback that makes you feel like you are playing on a real machine!
    It allows you to play every table (with simulations like Pinball Arcade or PinballFX2 VR) in a very realistic way.

- YOU can help to define the product by answering this survey (link below) - no matter if you'd be interested in owning one or not)

VR-PinCade Survey: https://surveymonkey.com/r/VR-PinCade-Survey

Already back in 2015, I built a first working prototype which received very positive feedback at several VR-Meetups (2nd picture). Now this project has become the final topic of project of my studies. So based on the 2015 prototype I'm now developing a product which I'm planning to sell in parts or as a complete set.
    The first image shows the current technical prototype which is currently used to evaluate which parts or techniques to use (so not much time was spent on the visual design of this prototype).

The survey is in English, if you have any questions or problems, feel free to contact me!
    Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/DakorVR Website: http://www.vrpincade.com

Thanks!!
    Daniel

r4t9uvZ[1].jpgr4t9uvZ[1].jpg
    pincadeintro[1].jpgpincadeintro[1].jpg

#2 6 years ago

Looks awesome!
    What kind of price range?

#3 6 years ago

Is this hardware only or after you somehow enabling vr for The Pinball Arcade bc there is currently no VR support for that so how would you use this controller with it?

And what is anticipated release timeframe? Next year or this year?

#4 6 years ago

I think the new Stern Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 support VR.

#5 6 years ago

Too bad it still plays like video game pinball.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Too bad it still plays like video game pinball.

I will first say that I am not really a fan of digital pinball versus an actual machine. Two weeks ago though I had my first experience with VR and played some shark pinball game on a buddies VR setup. Man I was blown away and surprised at how real the feeling was. It was fairly impressive and I can't believe how tricked my mind was that it seemed so real.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I will first say that I am not really a fan of digital pinball versus an actual machine. Two weeks ago though I had my first experience with VR and played some shark pinball game on a buddies VR setup. Man I was blown away and surprised at how real the feeling was. It was fairly impressive and I can't believe how tricked my mind was that it seemed so real.

Real pinball will always be better, but with limited space and funds, virtual pinball is a good supplement to any collection.
    It allows me to play titles that I would never buy or see in the wild for play.

#8 6 years ago

new stern pinball is not supported by Oculus Rift -

#9 6 years ago

VR pinball is pretty new, give it a few years.

VR in 4K would be a start. The current resolution is like standard def through a screen door.

#10 6 years ago

Are there any pinball games currently on the Vive?

#11 6 years ago

Hi!
    Thanks for your responses!
    Sorry that I did not respond earlier I was quite busy today and didn't had a chance to come back to this thread earlier...

### Available Games:
    At this point there's Pinball FX 2 VR for HTC Vive and Oculus Rift
    And there's Zaccaria Pinball which has some official licensed tables.
    Then there are some Indie Games for the Vive:
    Pinball Inside: A VR Arcade Game
    Evolution Pinball VR: The Summoning
    --> Pinball Arcade announced Oculus Rift support last year.

And my controller works with all of as it's designed to be very universal!

PS: Farsight Studios released Stern Pinball Arcade VR for GearVR (a mobile VR Headset)

### Am I developing a Game myself?
    I will have the hardware build and sell it but I won't make a Pinball Game. (I might develop a tech demo of what I imagine would be a perfect Pinball Game in VR, but that would just be a small demo. (In the hope that some established pinball developer will pick my ideas up etc.)

### Price:
    I can't name a price at this point, as I'm asking you for your price expectations in the survey

### Real Pinball only:
    Of course a real table is always better. But I for example currently live in a flat where just don't have the space to set one up. And with my controller I can play many different tables without the need for a large basement. Also, while I personally prefer to play virtual recreations of real tables, Pinball FX2 VR does a nice job of creating fictive tables with some nice gadgets and toys that only work in VR. For Example if you play the zombie themed Walking Dead table, there's an actual Zombie standing next to the pinball table.

I hope that answers all questions so far.

#12 6 years ago

You should show up with a demo at the Chicago Pinball Expo in October. Many of us are "try it before we buy it" kind of people.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

You should show up with a demo at the Chicago Pinball Expo in October. Many of us are "try it before we buy it" kind of people.

Hey, demos are definitely on my list. Specially because it's very hard to express, how playing Pinball in VR with such a controller feels like, without letting people try it.
    The controller is currently not yet for sale, I'm mainly posting because I want your thoughts & opinions of it: https://surveymonkey.com/r/VR-PinCade-Survey
    At this point you can still shape and influence the product

#14 6 years ago

Survey completed

4 months later
    #15 6 years ago

Please, give us an update!
    How goes the development.

4 months later
    #16 6 years ago

For my Oculus I use https://www.amazon.com/X-Arcade-Tankstick-Pc/dp/B000ST0184 Close enough for Rock & Roll!! Plus great for MAME!!

#17 6 years ago

error.

btw any update on stern's Oculus Rift pinball arcade?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

error.
    btw any update on stern's Oculus Rift pinball arcade?

It's supposed to be released in Q1 of 2018? https://arthands-vr.com/2017/12/18/stern-pinball-arcade-coming-to-oculus-rift-on-q1-2018-demo-at-ces/

Since I've heard nothing I'm guessing that they still don't have their shit together & it will probably get pushed back yet again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-and-arcade-controller-for-virtual-reality-feels-real/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.