(Topic ID: 106886)

Pinball abuse....layoff if it isn't your machine!

By vdojaq

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zap-ball-flash-sound-dog-toy.jpg
tumblr_m17e6vZXEG1r1ult6o1_500.gif
ass.kicked.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 9 years ago

Thank you for making the distinction between own and other's games. I treat my own stuff WAY harder than I would ever do with someone else's games.

Quoted from Excalabur:

In a lot of cases this is just a difference of opinion: they're not abusing your games. They're merely playing. I've seen people make a slide save that moved the game six or more inches and the reaction is generally "WOW", not "You dick!".

Rage-tilts and so on, those I can understand getting unhappy about. But if someone is playing pinball and moving the machine around without the game tilting, then they're not moving the machine too much. There is literally a device in the game to measure how much people are moving the game. Use it.

Agree 100%. I do generally tighten up my tilts for tournaments and for TPF, but at one specific location we use, the guy generally has NO TILT BOBS AT ALL. I'm sure it was a shock to some of our regulars to find these games giving tilt warnings at our last tourney. I brought tilt bobs from home lol..

Only once have I ever been accused of being too rough with games, and that was by someone I'm pretty sure had absolutely no clue who I was at the time they said it, and I'm the guy that's known to do slide saves and be able to walk a ball up an outlane on several occasions without tilting.

There's all types at shows, and if you don't want to take the risk, then don't. It's not worth saving 50$ on a weekend pass to have your game abused or broken IMO. It already costs far more to rent a U-haul and move games than I get benefits by taking my game to TPF. I had some clear chipped last year and that's more than going to negate the benefit that I got in exchange for bringing my game.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

I think the worst that I am guilty of is a pretty loud yet effective slap save from time to time....I would consider slap saves to be generally acceptable but they do sound like you are beating the crap out of the machine sometimes.

The only issue I see with a good slap save is people wearing rings. I wear a tungsten wedding band that would leave a very hefty dent in a game if I slap saved with my left hand. I either make it a point to secure my ring somewhere if I even remotely think I might have to slap save with my left hand, or I just don't slap on that side. Always wonder about other people doing that though..

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So consensus seems to be that as a whole the tournament players are the biggest abusers.

Right, because most people are intently observing non-tournament players, right? Observer error. Almost everyone I've ever seen in the TPF tournament area is far more respectful of the games than people that are out on the floor......never seen anyone pick up and drop a game in the tournament area there, as opposed to what several people told me was done to my Space Shuttle the first year I took it, lol.

Even on location last week, I saw someone doing the ol' PALM SLAM ball launch on a brand new TWD, it's like yeah, you moron, you know there's a spring there for a reason right, and it's not to protect your hand.

#69 9 years ago

I'm not, but I don't think that casual players are being watched nearly as closely, which probably leads to a vast disparity of seen vs. unseen behavior. I don't hover over all my games at TPF, I'm in the tournament area or playing pinball.

#73 9 years ago

No, the solution is still to have a tight tilt.

Guarantee you that if someone had shoved a game hard enough to bend a leg at TPF, they would've been removed from the gameroom and disqualified from the tournament..

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

rage shaking.

People that can't contain themselves, especially repeatedly, need to be ejected, end of story. Also, a tighter tilt may cause them to tilt-through on the next player, which is definitely an automatic disqualify anywhere that's respectable. Nobody's perfect, and yeah, sometimes extremely tight tilts don't behave as expected. At most I would give these people one warning, and that's assuming they did no actual harm to the game.

That said, my wife will shake the crap out of Metallica and I've very literally hurt myself on the games I have at home (AND the games laughed at me as I did it....completely undamaged.) in frustration...have yet to have ever damaged them, so I really just don't get these mongoloids you guys are talking about. I'm a pretty bulky dude and if I've never even so much as dinged a lockdown bar...these guys must be freakin' Hercules to do stuff like bend legs!

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

unusual displays of frustration

I tried to do a bangback once on my STTNG, slammed my palm into the raised edge of the coin door instead of the lockdown bar or the cabinet...

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yes, a new trend to maximize one's standings.

Really?

I mean, we do it at home as kind of a F YOU to the game itself after a really brutal drain, but....lol @ the idiot intentionally losing points in any way in a tournament....would never even occur to me to use that to get the bob swinging to screw with other people. Unreal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-abuselayoff-if-it-isnt-your-machine?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.