(Topic ID: 106886)

Pinball abuse....layoff if it isn't your machine!

By vdojaq

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

zap-ball-flash-sound-dog-toy.jpg
tumblr_m17e6vZXEG1r1ult6o1_500.gif
ass.kicked.jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

First of all, a big thank you to Terry and Pinball Life. That was a hell of a party you put on on your dime. I enjoyed my 2 hours there.

BUT, just wanted to make a point that the machines there for FREE PLAY were not there to be ABUSED by some jackass who was getting a bit overzealous in his game of TWD. Nudging, bumping, and shaking are fine, but when I see you wildly swing the machine about 8 inches to the left because you were mad you lost your ball, you are abusing someone else's property. It was the prototype custom TWD, next to Kurt's machines, in the very front you were playing. If it were my machine, I would have put you into the wall.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

but when I see you wildly swing the machine about 8 inches to the left because you were mad you lost your ball, you are abusing someone else's property.

Someone did this to one of my machines at Madrollin this year, douchebags are everywhere.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Someone did this to one of my machines at Madrollin this year, douchebags are everywhere.

I still feel bad about that Corey! That is not acceptable behavior on any game brought to MRP.
I am still not sure of what is the appropriate way to deal with it in the long run and was thankful you did not smash the guy that did it (just because it would have been ugly).

#4 5 years ago

That AC/DC at Terry's was abused by me ! It thanked me by letting me put up my initials !

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I still feel bad about that Corey!

Not your fault, no worries!

#6 5 years ago

When i was at allentown show there a few douchebags beating up pins there too. No respect for others property even in the pinball world

#7 5 years ago

I hate see routed machines abused and think it's really bad when a company or individual takes a game to a show and someone treats it harshly. Also goes when you invite someone to your house and they do that. So far though, I've been fortunate in that last area.

#8 5 years ago

There were a couple d-bags at expo guilty of this type of behavior. I enjoyed telling them first hand they were being dicks.

#9 5 years ago

I seen MMr get its coin door kicked by a very high profile pinball guy @ Texas Pinball Festival .

#10 5 years ago

Time to rig a high voltage transformer wired to the side rails (they will have to be isolated from the lockdown bar and machine ground) operated by a wireless remote. As soon as you see some asshole abusing your machine, let 'em have it.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I seen MMr get its coin door kicked by a very high profile pinball guy @ Texas Pinball Festival .

can it really be called a coin door if it no longer accepts coins?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I've had to repair many a kicked-in coin door. Sometimes the coin mechs are lying in the cash box.

#13 5 years ago

What a dick. Sooner or later he'll pull that in front of the wrong guy and......

ass.kicked.jpg

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

What on Earth is your new avatar supposed to be? It looks like....... never mind.

#15 5 years ago

The types of people that do this type of stuff should be profiled and documented so that they can be barred from any future events. It is total BS that they would mistreat those machines like that. I'm not sure I would be able to refrain from responding even if it wasn't my machine.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

It looks like....... never mind.

A severed black mans penis?

tumblr_m17e6vZXEG1r1ult6o1_500.gif

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

A severed black mans penis?

It's a rusty bolt ya pervs.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

It's a rusty bolt ya pervs.

I fixed it to a Pumpkin Kolbie carved years ago..

#19 5 years ago

I go to the Ohio show every year and I see aholes doing this all the time to pins. I would not bring a real nice pin to any show due to this. The worst offenders were the people in the tournament. Having Beats on your head and wearing gloves "snicker" makes you look like an even bigger jerk when you're beating the hell out of a mint CFTBL...........tough guy. Not sure who the guy is, but I see him every year at that show and it's the same story each time.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

The worst offenders were the people in the tournament

I seen this a lot of this @ Expo with Trent's games .

#21 5 years ago

I go to the Ohio show every year and I see aholes doing this all the time to pins. I would not bring a real nice pin to any show due to this. The worst offenders were the people in the tournament. Having Beats on your head and wearing gloves "snicker" makes you look like an even bigger jerk when you're beating the hell out of a mint CFTBL...........tough guy. Not sure who the guy is, but I see him every year at that show and it's the same story each time.

Yep, we need the "Count Zappula" siderails.

#22 5 years ago

I had a visitor come to play my NIB Avatar and he started shaking the hell out of it. We did a lot of business together and I really didn't want to scold him. I was sweating bullets as he kept the agitation up and was SO glad when he got tired of playing! I've never had anyone else to abuse any of my pins like that. Made me wonder why a man of such intellect couldn't realize he was in a HOME and not at a bar playing a routed pin. I would NEVER do that in someone's home!

#23 5 years ago

Until recently, when I finally saw someone who can actually play,had no idea that all that shaking and bumping is part of the game. Im a pin- degartner.
But I had trouble even shaking somebody elses machine. Mostly due to not wanting to break it, partially due to not really knowing when to.

Quoted from rockinganker:

There were a couple d-bags at expo guilty of this type of behavior. I enjoyed telling them first hand they were being dicks.

Thats how the story should end.

#24 5 years ago

Slap your thigh, palm-bump your own forehead, punch your hands together, whatever it takes to dissipate your "failure anxiety"... but don't beat up on somebody's machine just because it beat you.

Or, don't take it so seriously... it's not like you put a quarter in it! Plus, they are designed to beat you.

I've always been leary when placing a game in a show's free-play area but I've never had a problem. Tells me the vast majority of folks are respectful.

-Rob
-Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC resets

#25 5 years ago

I just had this problem a couple days ago. I had a friend come over to my house for the first time and saw my pins and wanted to play naturally. We started playing on my Space Shuttle and that machine is very basic.. We then switched over to my Centaur II machine, I went first and my friend watching me play noticed that I was able to nudge a ball back into play. I explained to him that this machine was designed for a skilled player to lightly nudge the ball back in play. I stepped away to grab a beer and not but 2 mins later I walk back and find my friend smashing into my centaur looking like he was trying to flip it over! The game proceeded to 'blackout' and restart itself. This problem would then reoccur every time I played it until I looked into the problem and fixed it. Needless to say my friend is no longer welcome in my home.. Atleast for now. But he lost his pinball playing privliedges.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

I just had this problem a couple days ago. I had a friend come over to my house for the first time and saw my pins and wanted to play naturally. We started playing on my Space Shuttle and that machine is very basic.. We then switched over to my Centaur II machine, I went first and my friend watching me play noticed that I was able to nudge a ball back into play. I explained to him that this machine was designed for a skilled player to lightly nudge the ball back in play. I stepped away to grab a beer and not but 2 mins later I walk back and find my friend smashing into my centaur looking like he was trying to flip it over! The game proceeded to 'blackout' and restart itself. This problem would then reoccur every time I played it until I looked into the problem and fixed it. Needless to say my friend is no longer welcome in my home.. Atleast for now. But he lost his pinball playing privliedges.

Did you explain the tilt mechanism? Was the tilt set properly? It sounds like you didn't finish the nudging lesson. And if you banned the dude from you house, he must not have been a very good friend to begin with.

If you don't set your tilt properly at a show, you invite this kind of behavior. Not making excuses for anyone, but leaving your tilt loose is like leaving a suitcase of money on the passenger seat of your convertible with the top down. You're asking for trouble. If you don't enable these guys, they'll be less likely to abuse your games.

I ranted yesterday about poor setup at shows. I should've added improperly set tilts to the list. People assume their games are safe at shows. They aren't.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Did you explain the tilt mechanism? Was the tilt set properly? It sounds like you didn't finish the nudging lesson. And if you banned the dude from you house, he must not have been a very good friend to begin with.
If you don't set your tilt properly at a show, you invite this kind of behavior. Not making excuses for anyone, but leaving your tilt loose is like leaving a suitcase of money on the passenger seat of your convertible with the top down. You're asking for trouble. If you don't enable these guys, they'll be less likely to abuse your games.
I ranted yesterday about poor setup at shows. I should've added improperly set tilts to the list. People assume their games are safe at shows. They aren't.

No but I can't see that explaining a tilt would help , its not like he hasn't played pinball before he just didn't have any respect for my property imo. My tilt is set properly and after centaur said no class human and tilted it didn't stop him from still trying which then made the machine reset itself. The machine would reset itself every game around ball 2 or 3. Looked under the PF to find the connection to the solinoid expander board was loose. Problem was sloved but yeah not the greatest friend when he did that to my property and hes banned for now atleast.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Made me wonder why a man of such intellect couldn't realize he was in a HOME and not at a bar playing a routed pin. I would NEVER do that in someone's home!

The Tilt mechanism sets how much you can nudge the machine. That's why it is in the game. If they're not tilting, they're not moving the machine too much. If you want them to not move the machine that much, tighten your tilt mech. They'll either learn or not get to play anymore.

Quoted from phishrace:

In a lot of cases this is just a difference of opinion: they're not abusing your games. They're merely playing. I've seen people make a slide save that moved the game six or more inches and the reaction is generally "WOW", not "You dick!".

Rage-tilts and so on, those I can understand getting unhappy about. But if someone is playing pinball and moving the machine around without the game tilting, then they're not moving the machine too much. There is literally a device in the game to measure how much people are moving the game. Use it.

#29 5 years ago

I tell people they can nudge and shake and I keep the tilt pretty liberal but you can't take the game dancing.
No bangbacks.
I only had one jackass at a show who was putting 4 player games on my AFM and shoving it around I just turned the game off and told him he was done.
He got belligerent and asked who the fuck I was and I told him I was the owner of the game and the guy that would toss his ass out of the show if I saw him doing this to another game.
I opened the game and set the tilt tighter and turned the game on for the next player.
It is easy to spot a game hog from the end of the aisle, just observe the body language of the people waiting behind the self center tool.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Not your fault, no worries!
ยป YouTube video

That's not Bob Marley. Somebody on YouTube needs to be shot.

#31 5 years ago

"Time to rig a high voltage transformer wired to the side rails (they will have to be isolated from the lockdown bar and machine ground) operated by a wireless remote. As soon as you see some asshole abusing your machine, let 'em have it."

That would be great!

#32 5 years ago

People just don't respect other peoples' property. Granted it's just the minority, but all it takes are a select few to leave a bad taste.
My two examples...at Allentown two years ago I brought a TOTAN. It was probably one of the 5 most expensive machines on the floor. And I caught one guy pick the front legs off the ground about 6" and DROP the machine because of a stuck ball.
And this past year at York we had a bunch of nice machines. Gorgeous chromed out CV and TAF. And people were getting very very frisky with them.

#33 5 years ago

I am pretty easy going but do not pick up and jam around the machine. Just play it.

Nudge, bump and all that no issues pick the front of the machine up and swing it and I would probably freak out.

Maybe Dbag or maybe just clueless.

#34 5 years ago

I've never heard of, or seen a single person abuse one of my machines any more than I do... which isn't much at all...

#35 5 years ago

if it were my machine, he wouldnt be doing it for long.

#36 5 years ago

I set my tilt fairly tight on my game at Expo. I had a few complaints. My comment was to play it clean. You could nudge and bump but you start working it over and its tilting. I have a lot of time and money in machines and want them played, but not abused.

#37 5 years ago

I am no good at the skill of nudging or bumping so I don't even bother. But it does bother me seeing other people manhandling a machine that isn't their property.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Buffpac5:

I am no good at the skill of nudging or bumping so I don't even bother. But it does bother me seeing other people manhandling a machine that isn't their property.

I think nudging is totally fine. Picking up the game or shoving it a foot to the side, or banging on the front of it is just ridiculous. I have found that nudging is much more useful on early SS games and EM games. The new games are giving you ball saves at start and multiballs left and right so the nudging is much more minimal except to help prevent a SDTM or a side drain IMO. Then again, I am not a wizard or anything, just my experience.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I've never heard of, or seen a single person abuse one of my machines any more than I do... which isn't much at all...

If I ever did they would certainly get a comment from me. I treat others pins as if they were my own.

#40 5 years ago

I love the newb player who thinks that if they lean into the cab every shot, the ball will go faster or something. Drives me nuts.

#41 5 years ago

Thank you for making the distinction between own and other's games. I treat my own stuff WAY harder than I would ever do with someone else's games.

Quoted from Excalabur:

In a lot of cases this is just a difference of opinion: they're not abusing your games. They're merely playing. I've seen people make a slide save that moved the game six or more inches and the reaction is generally "WOW", not "You dick!".

Rage-tilts and so on, those I can understand getting unhappy about. But if someone is playing pinball and moving the machine around without the game tilting, then they're not moving the machine too much. There is literally a device in the game to measure how much people are moving the game. Use it.

Agree 100%. I do generally tighten up my tilts for tournaments and for TPF, but at one specific location we use, the guy generally has NO TILT BOBS AT ALL. I'm sure it was a shock to some of our regulars to find these games giving tilt warnings at our last tourney. I brought tilt bobs from home lol..

Only once have I ever been accused of being too rough with games, and that was by someone I'm pretty sure had absolutely no clue who I was at the time they said it, and I'm the guy that's known to do slide saves and be able to walk a ball up an outlane on several occasions without tilting.

There's all types at shows, and if you don't want to take the risk, then don't. It's not worth saving 50$ on a weekend pass to have your game abused or broken IMO. It already costs far more to rent a U-haul and move games than I get benefits by taking my game to TPF. I had some clear chipped last year and that's more than going to negate the benefit that I got in exchange for bringing my game.

#42 5 years ago

I have no problem with aggressive nudging, sliding the game (if on a slick floor). This doesn't hurt games. I DO have a problem with people slamming their fists on the glass or lockdown bar, kicking the coinbox, kicking the legs, picking up the game and slamming it down.

I have been to a few tournaments in a city in our state and there are a handful of guys that continually abuse the machines. The do many of the things listed above and I always hope those guys don't come down to our tournaments.

#43 5 years ago

I think the worst that I am guilty of is a pretty loud yet effective slap save from time to time....I would consider slap saves to be generally acceptable but they do sound like you are beating the crap out of the machine sometimes.

#44 5 years ago

I like the electrocution idea, You could put a bolt through the cab on a spot that is crotch-level, like the coin door, then wire it to the flipper voltage with a remote controlled relay.
zap-ball-flash-sound-dog-toy.jpg

#45 5 years ago

This is a great thread. I hate people banging the glass / lock down bar because they lost a ball. Or kicking the legs (that cannot be good for the corner joints) or coin-door. Sometimes during league play it actually sets off my anxiety.

I had been asked about hosting at my house, but after seeing these guys there is no way they will ever touch my machines.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I love the newb player who thinks that if they lean into the cab every shot, the ball will go faster or something. Drives me nuts.

I will admit to pushing the button HARDER to try and make that far ramp shot Can't help it. After a long day of playing I will be sore the next day.....lol.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

I think the worst that I am guilty of is a pretty loud yet effective slap save from time to time....I would consider slap saves to be generally acceptable but they do sound like you are beating the crap out of the machine sometimes.

The only issue I see with a good slap save is people wearing rings. I wear a tungsten wedding band that would leave a very hefty dent in a game if I slap saved with my left hand. I either make it a point to secure my ring somewhere if I even remotely think I might have to slap save with my left hand, or I just don't slap on that side. Always wonder about other people doing that though..

#48 5 years ago

I'm fine with slap saves and even slide saves if it's a legit attempt to save the ball. Smashing the lockdown bar/glass/coin door etc. because you suck at pinball is no good.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I will admit to pushing the button HARDER to try and make that far ramp shot Can't help it. After a long day of playing I will be sore the next day.....lol.

I have this same problem. I also squeeze my clubs way too hard when I play golf. No reason to do it, I just cannot help it.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I seen this a lot of this @ Expo with Trent's games .

I saw this happen to a Shadow in the finals at the OH show a few years ago. The high ranked individual didn't like his ball draining and pushed the machine so hard it bent the back left leg. I had two machines in that lineup, and saw the owner when he went to wrap up his game say WTF?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 50.00
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside