(Topic ID: 82424)

Pinball 2000: speaker upgrade (RFM, SWE1)

By nosro

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ChadTower
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P2281212.JPG
P2281210-688.JPG
P2281211.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Upgrading the speakers is extremely easy and costs approximately $30. These machines have decent sound in STEREO, something not even modern Stern machines accomplish, so give these machines the speakers that they deserve and get rid of those lousy 15 year old paper cones.

BUY:
Front speakers: Buy 3.5 inch car speakers. Make sure that the mounting depth is 1.75" or less. Make sure the impedance is 4 ohms or greater - most are but now and then you can find a crazy 2 ohm speaker. Don't go crazy with super high end speakers - the audio is good for pinball but not that good compared to, for example, car audio. I purchased these although any $15 pair will probably sound equally good: www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLG3-2-3-5-Inch-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B0007L8BT4/ref=sr_1_5
Also consider cosmetics - if you want the speakers to be invisible behind the grill, make sure to buy an all black speaker such as this: http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLX32-3-5-Inch-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B0002BEWZ6/

Cabinet speaker: Buy a single 6.5 inch woofer rated at 4 ohms. Lower is likely to cause problems for the amplifier, while higher impedance may actually result in lower bass volume relative to the front speakers. I have tried a few, including a few that were quite a bit more expensive, but keep coming back to this one, which is the closest to being a straight drop-in for Williams machines: http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-WX65X-6-5-Inch-Injected-Woofer/dp/B000EFMPCW/ref=sr_1_4

PROCEDURE
1) The hardest part is just removing the front speaker grill and it's not hard at all. There are 3 nylon nuts behind the wooden panel. These can be reached with a 11/32" crescent wrench once the translite is off. In the picture below, I placed a crescent wrench on one of the nuts.
P2281210-688.JPGP2281210-688.JPG

There are three T15 security torx screws on the bottom of the speaker grill. If you don't have a security torx set, here's a cheap set: http://www.amazon.com/SE-Bit-Security-33pc-7519SD/dp/B0009U6AB4/ref=sr_1_1

2) Once the grill is off, installation of the 3.5 speakers is straightfoward with the removal of two screws per speaker (re-use these screws to install the new speakers):
P2281211.JPGP2281211.JPG

The wiring connectors are fool proof. Simply pull off the female spade connectors and plug them into the new speakers. The connectors follow car audio conventions whereby the negative terminal is narrower than the positive terminal.

P2281212.JPGP2281212.JPG

More pictures are available from NewPinOwner in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/5#post-1828630

3) The cabinet speaker is clearly visible and easily removed with four nuts. I prefer to cut off the soldered wires and crimp on female spade insulated connectors for 14-16 gauge wire. These spade connector simply slip on to the terminals of typical car stereo speakers. For those interested, NewPinOwner has more details on installing the 6.5" speaker: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/4#post-1814614

There is not necessarily a correct polarity - just hook one wire to each terminal. If you want to spend the time, listen to the audio (with the whole machine put back together) with the wires one way and with the wires swapped. Whichever seems to have slightly greater bass is the "correct" polarity although the difference will be extremely minor at best for most ears.

--------------

That's it. The bass is significantly more noticeable and the upper midrange is much clearer.

4 months later
#2 9 years ago

Bought both of what you recommended. Can't wait to do this upgrade!

#3 9 years ago

The initial post recommended Pyle PLG3.2 speakers which have a yellow frame. For those who do not want the speakers to stand out visually, NewPinOwner has reported that the Pyle PLX32 work equally well and are black: http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLX32-3-5-Inch-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B0002BEWZ6/

My experience is that most any 3.5" speaker will sound great (just be sure to check for a sufficiently shallow mounting depth). It is the 6.5" cabinet speaker that can be very hard to match and for that reason, I continue to recommend the Pyramid WX65X for the 6.5" cabinet speaker.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

The initial post recommended Pyle PLG3.2 speakers which have a yellow frame. For those who do not want the speakers to stand out visually, NewPinOwner has reported that the Pyle PLX32 work equally well and are black

Well, I think they will . They have the same mounting depth as the ones you selected and are already black. I am picking up a set at the local Parts Express this weekend and will be able to report back 100% confirmation next weekend!

#5 9 years ago

If I lived so close to Parts Express, I would be much poorer.

#6 9 years ago

I just finished up changing the head speakers. I really didn't notice much of an improvement.

#7 9 years ago

difficult with small speakers, their efficiency ratings (Db-1w-1m) being low to begin with for their small size. as always, the higher the better, with less attention paid to their maximum power capacity is less important. last year I was car stereo shopping and sure noticed KICKER speakers were near twice as loud from the same head unit and same volume setting (pushbutton selection display), but theyre also about double the price.. ouch?

efficiency ratings can be a little deceptive too, what frequency are they driving the speakers at to get the higher number for decibel output? you sure cant tell with ordering online blind, so shop for them in person first. if you know the make and model you might find better deal for them online already knowing how theyre going to sound.

big name speakers like infinity or bose etc are usually very efficient and well balanced sound response, is why they get the attention and higher pricetag, more and better sound from the same amp. I've gotten ok improvement from speakers by SSL (cheepo's) but they sure arent going to compare to infinity-bose-kicker etc for efficiency. same for speakers by PYLE, I'm really just not impressed with their stuff.

for 3.5" speakers you might do better raiding a pair from some larger computer speakers that'll get loud on 4w or less. an old boombox made by sony, sharp, or aiwa (typically 6 ohms) might have a pair of really efficient small drivers for small power to pirate from. I've gotten very good bang for the buck from MCM for 6.5" woofers, a bit higher efficiency ratings than a goldwood same size, about half the price too. I agree with the OP, dont go spend-crazy, theres really no need to. if some creative pirating gets the bigger sound, cool! they might be black, or black cones with chrome mylar dustcaps, or black surrounds white cones and black or chrome dustcaps, whatever.. any of those oughtta look allright behind the grillwork.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks Zizzle, do you think these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PRUTLY/ref=gno_cart_title_1

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009QOTA/ref=gno_cart_title_0

Or if you have another suggestion to improve on the stock. I am actually going to pull the replacement as its not an improvement

#9 9 years ago

88Db-1w-1m is pretty good for the size, the kickers the better deal of the two.
cheepos = http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-312SX-3-5-Inch-TwoWay-Speakers/dp/B000CSS6ZQ/ref=sr_1_14
the pair 10 bucks with shipping included, claiming 89Db. pyle pyramid lanzar all same if I'm not mistaken.
single coil with its whizzer cone might actually be a little more efficient than 2 coils and a low pass cap in there, doubtful youd notice 1db difference or a lack of highs with a 3.5" speaker, might be less high freq crackle-crud idk.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

88Db-1w-1m is pretty good for the size, the kickers the better deal of the two.
cheepos = amazon.com link »
the pair 10 bucks with shipping included, claiming 89Db. pyle pyramid lanzar all same if I'm not mistaken.
single coil with its whizzer cone might actually be a little more efficient than 2 coils and a low pass cap in there, doubtful youd notice 1db difference or a lack of highs with a 3.5" speaker, might be less high freq crackle-crud idk.

These are the ones I currently have in place and really think the originals sounded fuller more balanced. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZDDVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I was really trying to improve the stock

#11 9 years ago

first thing I'd noticed they dont post efficiency numbers for their 2-ways, their singles maybe better or not. know it's going to be very difficult to find better than 90db-1w-1m in a 3.5" driver.

#12 9 years ago

I think one should normally purchase high efficiency speakers. However, if you like bass, you should purchase low efficiency speakers for the head and high efficiency speaker for the cabinet, which will have the effect of making the bass driver relatively louder. (BOOM, BOOM, "16th President Wins")

I haven't had much luck with either Boss or Pyramid as main speakers, but have had great luck with Pyramid 6.5" bass and mid bass drivers for the cabinet.

#13 9 years ago

Helpful details:

The crescent wrench size is a 11/32".

The Torx security screw size is a T15.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks. Updated the first post with this info.

#15 9 years ago

Great post ! I wish I had this info the first time I owned RFM.

7 months later
#16 9 years ago

Just needed the size of the wrench for the speaker grill and thought of your thread and found the answer!
Thank you

6 months later
#17 8 years ago

For the folks that used this specific amplifier did you go with the provided power supply (2A) or get a better one? I am working with this amp/speaker combo right now and it doesn't sound very good at all. The bass is super distorted. Granted, the speaker is sitting in a cardboard box at the moment, but that's not what is causing all of it. Is the 2A power supply too little juice?

EDIT: oops, the amp is in the other thread... heh

#18 8 years ago

EDIT: stupid net multiposted on me

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-speaker-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.