25%

(51 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zzw_(resized).jpg
2206883764_f032578bde_b_(resized).jpg
2206883764_f032578bde_n_(resized).jpg
giphy.gif
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Has the supply of Pinball 2000 playfield glass dried up? I know for a while there was plenty of supply of pinball 2000 glass but lately I haven't seen it in stock anywhere.

If it is truly something that is becoming unobtainium, is there any vendor that might want to step up to try to reproduce it? It is just a play-field glass with a partial tint, which I am sure someone could produce.

Maybe we could start a list of who is looking for replacement glass or who wants to have a space piece on hand.

#2 7 years ago

There were one or two sheets at the Allentown show, but it sounded like that was the last of it.

I'm sure that if you went to a glass shop with an example, they should be able to reproduce it. Probably wouldn't be cheap, though.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

but it sounded like that was the last of it.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Seriously though, would it be possible just to find a good automotive tint and make your own?

#4 7 years ago

My buddy has a deck railing company. He gets glass for eveyone in the pinball league. And for 40$ a sheet tempered, he also has a wide variety of tinted glass. I sure there is a glass guy near you, or a aluminum deck railing guy who can order you a sheet.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

My buddy has a deck railing company. He gets glass for eveyone in the pinball league. And for 40$ a sheet

Glass must cost a lot more in Canada, because a sheet of tempered pinball glass is $15-20 at every pinball show in the States.

A piece of real, partially mirrored glass for P2K is $150:

http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Seriously though, would it be possible just to find a good automotive tint and make your own?

No, you would have access to a vacuum deposition chamber to do the partial mirroring.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Glass must cost a lot more in Canada, because a sheet of tempered pinball glass is $15-20 at every pinball show in the States.

This is a good source for anyone in the chicago area. Thanks for sharing! I wonder how many Anthony has left.

The trick to the glass is it is partially tinted. Only the top half contains the tint and it gets darker as it goes up the glass.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everything cost more in Canada.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from MythMaker:

This is a good source for anyone in the chicago area. Thanks for sharing! I wonder how many Anthony has left.
The trick to the glass is it is partially tinted. Only the top half contains the tint and it gets darker as it goes up the glass.

It is more complicated than that. The glass is partially mirrored which requires special equipment or exposure to some biohazard type stuff. I can not find the source for this, but it is how I understood it when I researched it.

#10 7 years ago

I do believe that Rob does not have any more RFM glass.

#12 7 years ago

Replacing Pin 2000 glass is a problem, especially if you live outside of the USA....its pretty much impossible to find a spare piece.

I had this issue when I imported my RFM, it arrived with the glass shattered all through the machine (the previous owner has installed a replacement non-tempered tinted piece).

Our local tech did a lot of research into a replacement piece. Essentially we found a professional car tint company who special ordered some kind of adhesive tint that gave a near perfect match to the original pin 2000 reflection.

However, it is applied to only half of the glass as it does not have the slow gradient of the original tint. The monitor reflection is very good. The tint is applied to the top side of the glass and baked in an oven for permanent adhesion. If the tint is applied to the underside of the glass it gives a slight 'doubling' of the image.

Not a perfect solution but pretty darn close and the best we could get at the bottom of the world

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Not a perfect solution but pretty darn close and the best we could get at the bottom of the world

Are their any telescope mirror coating companies down under?

Telescope mirrors are recoated every few years, because the coatings are on the front surface (rather than on the protected back like normal mirrors).

All someone would have to do was measure the reflectance of the pin2000 coatings (50% maybe?) and you could have it done easily on any tempered glass, gradient and all.

#14 7 years ago

We are down to our last 2 NOS sheets. Going to be impossible to find soon.

#15 7 years ago

My RFM has a scratch in the tint running right down the middle, I was told by the seller that alot of them have a similar mark. Doesn't really show during normal play, but on boot it's pretty obvious. It has a really nice playfield and I plan on restoring and keeping it, but this lack of glass ranks up there with the computer dying on me.

#16 7 years ago

When i was at il pinball shorthly before the PPS raid on the company he had 4? Full pallets of the stuff and 1 pallet completely shattered if i remember correctly. Wonder if PPS took these or possibly just left them behind due to the issues of shipping glass.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

We are down to our last 2 NOS sheets. Going to be impossible to find soon.

Are you selling them?

#19 7 years ago

Maybe someone can develop some sort of gradient tinted overlay that can get applied to the top half of standard playfield glass. Maybe on top of the glass if that prevents the doubling aspect.

Might be a case of good enough for a replacement even if it isn't a perfect solution. Sounds like the cost of making a run of actual glass would be too high.

#20 7 years ago

I picked up 2 sheets from rob about 2 years ago and still have to strip the protective coating from them. at the time that I purchased them, he was starting to run out and the sheets he was selling didn't come with the black/yellow decal indicating the proper side up for installation.

rick @ planetary finally listed the double-sided playfield glass decals ( on the up side, on the down side) about a month ago (and I pointed it out and members to the link), but it looks like they're all gone now

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-04-10739-DEC

#21 7 years ago

I was going to pick one of those stickers up. Well, you snooze you lose.

#22 7 years ago

I hate taking the glass off of my game in fear of breaking it.

#23 7 years ago

Ive got a couple spare NOS sheets in central Illinois if someone is looking for some. Not willing to package for shipping though

#24 7 years ago

Understand about shipping glass. It would be a miracle if it arrived undamaged. Glass is not quite worth a road trip just for the glass anyway. Ideally Pin2k owners could source glass locally. Maybe we are going about getting glass the wrong way, trying to apply reflective tint like the factory. Perhaps it might be better to source fully tinted glass and polish it off over the lower playfield. Anybody know how to get a hold of plate glass with a full reflective coating?

#25 7 years ago

We are holding on to our last 2 sheets. It sucks but there probably will isn't enough demand to get the glass made.

#26 7 years ago

Wow, this thread is slowly removing RFM from my wish list out of pure fear.

#27 7 years ago

I wouldn't be scared to own one. How often do you break playfield glass. Only once for me. RFM is a great game.

#28 7 years ago

I was looking online at tint products and I didn't see any that gradient the tint between shades, the idea of a roll on product might be dead right there.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

. Perhaps it might be better to source fully tinted glass and polish it off over the lower playfield. Anybody know how to get a hold of plate glass with a full reflective coating?

You need some "one way" security observation glass.

You want it tempered, not just plate/float glass.

-

A regular "mirror" is made by fully coating the glass with evaporated aluminum (93% reflective ), then painting over the aluminum to keep it from oxidizing or scratching.

A "one way mirror" is made by putting a 50% mirror coating on the glass. When you are in a bright room, the 50% reflective side will make the glass appear to be a mirror. When you are on the dark side, you can see through the mirror into the bright room.

Think of mirror sunglasses, from the dark side, your eyes see through to the outside world. From the bright side, the world sees a mirror.

Every single crappy cop drama show has a "one way" mirror scene during an interrogation.

(science says that there is no such thing as a one-way mirror, so think of them as a 2-way mirror if you need to)

-

So if you got the proper size one-way mirror, and then polished off the aluminum on part of it, you could make your own pin2k glass.

Now, all we need is someone with a light meter to measure how reflective the NOS pin2k glass is....

#30 7 years ago

2206883764_f032578bde_b_(resized).jpg2206883764_f032578bde_b_(resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

That's a pretty cool pic. Weird that they show some kind of window shade roller type of mirror. Interesting that they put MB on the side art. Obviously they didn't want to tip their hand on what the real game title was going to be.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

Weird that they show some kind of window shade roller type of mirror.

The patent describes it as glass, so yeah, that's a terrible drawing.

Pinside won't let the pdf upload for some reason, so here is the entire patent:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US6129353.pdf

Quoted from Starwriter:

Interesting that they put MB on the side art.

Cactus Canyon is on another drawing in the patent.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

How often do you break playfield glass. Only once for me.

Once is all it will take, though, if no replacements are available now.

#34 7 years ago

zzw_(resized).jpgzzw_(resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

Just think, MB could have been a Pin2K. Toys could have been digits.

#36 7 years ago

Anyone have a spare NOS sheet around Louisiana or Texas they want to sell?

#37 7 years ago

I'd find it hard to believe if there isn't someone from Williams / Bally / Midway in the know about the pin2000 project already browsing or participating on this site who could shed some light and / or documentation / specs and / or the company that produced the glass to help get the ball rolling on potential remanufacturing of the glass according to the original design.

#38 7 years ago

Soon the glass will be worth more than the machine. Or maybe it always was.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I'd find it hard to believe if there isn't someone from Williams / Bally / Midway in the know about the pin2000

Zero of them. B/W people now only vaguely remember they once had a pinball division. Corporate memory is short.

#40 7 years ago

Does someone have Gomez's ear? He has to know something, he designed the game.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I'd find it hard to believe if there isn't someone from Williams / Bally / Midway in the know about the pin2000 project already browsing or participating on this site

99% of all industry insiders have deactivated their Pinside accounts.

They try to help, they get treated like shit, and they check out.

#42 7 years ago

Well that's pretty damn shitty. People suck sometimes. (not the industry insiders, I can't say I blame them one bit.)

#43 7 years ago

I have 2 brand new (OEM) sheets. This is Manny from Lights Out Pinball.
I also have 3 new sheets of invisi-glass standard size $260, and 2 new wide body invisi-glass $260

Manny
Lightsoutpinball.com
215-840-3147

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Does someone have Gomez's ear? He has to know something, he designed the game.

There is another.. he now works for JJP, maybe they are using this for his next pin in some way

#46 7 years ago

I can tell you how it was made

Start with a tempered clear sheet, screenprint a reverse gradiant
Then tint the entire glass
Then chemical wash off the screenprint, leaving the positive gradiant

Regards

#47 7 years ago

Guys… if you are anywhere near Illinois PM me as I have a few sheets I'd part with (3 I think). I bought some playfield glass years back and these were in there as well.
Just an FYI it's not cost-effective to ship these.

#48 7 years ago

And the people outside of US? Their are bite in the a..

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I can tell you how it was made
Start with a tempered clear sheet, screenprint a reverse gradiant
Then tint the entire glass
Then chemical wash off the screenprint, leaving the positive gradiant
Regards

Sounds interesting. But how many companies can do this?

And if there is a way to come up with a solution, I would be in. Provided we could get them in Canada as well.

#50 7 years ago

The question if we find someone to manufacture the glass is how many units would be needed for a run and what the costs would be. If it is an exact match, patent licensing would come into play as well.

We would then need to find out how many people would be willing to pre-order glass and then how it would be distributed!

If anyone has any idea of what manufacture would have the capability of even making these glasses it would be worthwhile.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (OBO)
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-playfield-glass-discussion?hl=goren1818 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.