25%

(51 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zzw_(resized).jpg
2206883764_f032578bde_b_(resized).jpg
2206883764_f032578bde_n_(resized).jpg
giphy.gif
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from MythMaker:

... If it is an exact match, patent licensing would come into play as well.

Doubtful any patent licensing would come into play (and agree with your "exact match").

TL;DR: Someone make this. There is no IP (at least in this patent shared earlier)

I've skimmed over the patent. It's kind of interesting...

Couple of interesting points...

1) George G. isn't an inventor! The inventors are DeMar; Lawrence E. (Winnetka, IL), Koziarz; Louis N. (Buffalo Grove, IL), Piotrowski; Peter J. (Long Grove, IL), Weyna; Mark A. (Des Plaines, IL)

2) The patent describes the reflective glass but it is not included in a claim, so there is no IP

In the description (not the claims!): "Cooperatively, a portion 54 of the transparent panel 40 which is aligned with the image surface or screen 52 of the CRT 50 thereabove is constructed of material that has both transparent and reflective properties".

3) The "partially reflective member" does show up in claims, but only in compound claims. Meaning they are saying they own the IP to a pinball machine that uses X, Y and Z where Z is a "partially reflective member". They are not, however, saying they own the IP to the separate creation or use of a "partially reflective member" [I'm sure someone can nit-pick what I wrote here, but the gist is correct... and I didn't want to write multiple paragraphs]

4) it's interesting that in addition to glass with a reflective element, they have protected the use of a "reflective member based on a retractable shade"

... Altan

#52 7 years ago

Excellent info & research Altan. Thanks for sharing.

#53 7 years ago

Bumping this thread back up in hopes that someone might know someone who might be able to possibly manufacture this part. Lots of mights

Also great research Altan. It seems tough to prove the glass itself is patented.

2 months later
#54 7 years ago

A guy from Austria has actually managed to reproduce the glass (or at least glass that has the same function as the original).

He's trying to set up a bulk order, but currently not successful in getting enough participants. At the minimum order quantity of 100 sheets the price is still 380EUR, it is wildly complicated to make it and needs very special tools hardly anyone has. I wouldn't expect him to ship glass sheets overseas, so this is just to let you know that it definitely is possible and it can be done at a, maybe not satisfying, but at least bearable price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-playfield-glass-discussion/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.