Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Grauwulf
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrMikeman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hope someone can help me. I have a RFM running on original hardware. I have a SWEP1 playfield coming but without the Prism card so I need to set up a Nucore/Pinbox computer to run things. I'm tech/computer savvy except that I'm pretty useless in Linux.

The computer has an ArcadeVGA and runs on the original monitor. I have zero desire to switch to a flat screen. My CRT is bright and crisp and has no burn-in whatsoever. The Nucore box is running fine on the CRT.

I know some folks have this exact setup running ok. I also know that there is a 'resolution issue' to resolve but can't find any tips on how to resolve it. The game runs at 640x480. That's the problem. It should run at 640x240. I don't know where to go in the linux file structure and which file to modify in order to get the correct resolution going.

Can anyone help? Like I said Linux ain't my thing. I can get to the terminal (text) window but I'm not even sure how to start the Ubuntu GUI.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

I'm a little confused by your original post. Do you have a system set up with Nucore and an AVGA? What's the issue you are having?
I just resurrected my RFM, I have the full, original Nucore setup, works great. I tried setting it up with Ubuntu 18.04, but just couldn't get it to play nice with the ArcadeVGA card. Pinbox seemed to work just fine with it though.

I have a Pinbox setup and AVGA. Ain’t working. I am thinking my avga is faulty. Tried on other mobos just to get the BIOS POST screen and those were garbled also. Avga should show bootup screen on crt even before any drivers are loaded.

What I get with the rfm is a picture ok in width but vertical is twice as large as should be and image wraps around and overlaps vertically.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

Are you plugging in to the vga port, or the DVI? If it's the vga, you *may* be looking at a 'new' card. You can try running the script for 15khz mode and try that. Or pick up a cheap used ATI card and use the script.

I am plugged into the VGA port as instructed on the Ultimarc/ArcadeVGA site. The VGA port is 15khz only. Not working correctly even when using different computers. The boot/BIOS screen should show up properly on the CRT with an ArcadeVGA and is does not. Pretty sure the card is defective. Unfortunately they are out of production so getting a replacement isn't going to happen.

Ordered a VGA-->CGA board. Hopefully this works.

#12 3 years ago

Well shit. Bought the converter (on it's way). Bought a SWEP1 daughter card (on it's way). All for nothing.

SUCCESS!!!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from bepositive:

I have no advise to offer . I want eventually bring my RFM back to life and will be following this thread . For those whom may post advise please elaborate in best detail the items purchased to complete task . Where to acquire as well . Thanks in advance for the extra time for clear complete answer!
Shane

Ok so in the end I followed the steps from this setup guide http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=5353#p5353

I had the roms already from my Pinbox setup so connected that hard drive and copied the files over and renamed the 2 pinbox****.rom to nucore****.rom

I got everything running on a regular monitor. Once setup was complete I connected the CRT to the VGA port on the AVGA and got nothing. Ran the 15khz script and the CRT came up with the ubuntu desktop (replicating the regular monitor). Tried starting nucore but the game only came up on the regular monitor. I enabled the CRT-15khz script. Rebooted with the regular monitor unplugged and.... nothing. Put in a dummy DVI plug (found it on Amazon) and rebooted.. Game came up!

Now I have to install the computer properly and get the sound hooked up. Already have the external amp and power supply. Also need to update both RFM and SWEP1 roms on there but I am having issues getting to work. UGH.

#14 3 years ago

DONE!

Took me forever to get the software updated (was running SWEP1 v0.40).

Modified (cut) the original case to fit the new motherboard. Jumpered R705 to correct the horizontal offset as documented elsewhere on Pinside. Installed the NOS translite I got from PPS.

Sound is hooked up too now with a 3-channel amp I got on Amazon and a 24v power supply.

Now let's play. Hope someone eventually tweaks the code like on RFM.

3 weeks later
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

Dummy DVI plug? What purpose does that serve? Oh and congrats on getting it up and running!

Not. A. Clue.

But it makes the game(video card) work. It was just one of those things I read somewhere that it fixed not having the display come up. It did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 85.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrMikeman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-nucore-issue?tu=MrMikeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.