Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tickerguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just got my RFM and discovered the light tube in the backbox was missing (!).

What specs do I need to know and is this something I can pick up at any electrical store ? Or, is it super pinball intended with it's own dedicated watts, size etc etc intended only for RFM and SWEP1 ? Hope not

Thanks
Matt

#2 7 years ago

18 inch 15 Watt fluorescent tube. Easy to find in North America, so hopefully you can find them there too.

#3 7 years ago

The backbox lamp is a standard 15 watt 18-inch long fluorescent lamp, T8 size (I think - I'd have to check my game at home); a fairly common item here in the US, although I don't know how common it would be outside the States.

#4 7 years ago

First measure is your back box 110 or 220 volts. I have ep1 and rfm, they are both for europe. On ep1 monitor, pc and neon work on 220. But on rfm monitor pc and neon are on 110. There is 110v output on trafo for backbox.
Neon on my rfm bibnt work too, balast for neon was burn so i nead new, but on 110v, hard to find in europe.

Ps. Sory for bad english

#5 7 years ago

On my SWEP1, I took the fluorescent tube out, tapped into the 12 volt power from the PC, and made my own LED back box.

This is similar to the led strip I used:
https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-LED-Light-Strip-Installation/dp/B005GL5R56

I used three strips the same length as the tube.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 7 years ago

If the lamp doesn't fix it I believe there is also a starter that goes bad. it's also cheap and easy to replace.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

If the lamp doesn't fix it I believe there is also a starter that goes bad. it's also cheap and easy to replace.

And if the starter doesn't fix it it will be the ballast.
There are only 3 parts to a tube circuit.
The tube the starter and the ballast.

#8 7 years ago

Yep.

If you have a bad ballast it's tempting to go get some 12v LED strips and replace with that on a piece of board (styrofoam insulating board is fine for this purpose.) They're not expensive, produce nearly zero heat, draw little current, last forever and won't bleach the translite as they don't produce UV as a fluorescent tube does.

There is 12VDC available on the disk connectors in the PC cabinet in the backbox; more than enough power is available to run the LED strips.

I own both Pin2k machines and when the backlights fail that's what's going in mine.

#9 7 years ago

Hello
I thought so long as it physically fits and the same wattage then the voltage dosen't matter!
Since there's no filament the tube contains the same amount of mercury vapour gas wheather is labelled as 240 or 120. Its the gas that needs to be 'ignited' and that power is dictated by the ballast??
Cheers Bob

#10 7 years ago

That is correct; the *tube* does not vary with line voltage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
7,500 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-no-light-in-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.