(Topic ID: 33988)

Pinball 2000 Glass, Is it just a mirror tint?

By RandyW

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Compy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

complete.jpg
75A9106B-97A9-4476-9DB8-F6FDA5A26426-1.jpg
IMG_1601.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider randyw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I am getting ramped up for my build of a Digital Pin sim in a custom P2K Cabinet.. And while shopping for parts, I realized just how EXPENSIVE the glass is for these!! So, being the DIY out of the Box kind of thinker I am paid to be.. I started postulating ideas as to how to replicate it.

I can't find a good picture of the glass itself, but it seems to me, it is just tempered glass, with the top 3/8's having a mirrored tint on it, like you see on cars these days. If that is the case, my local glass shop could replicate it for about $60.

Could someone that has a Pinball 2000 look at their glass and confirm this one way or the other for me? And if it is tint, does anyone know the percentage of the tinting?

Thanks!
Randy

#7 11 years ago

Thanks guys,

Greg is getting ready to start building my cab, I was planning on doing the Nightshade route, but he has built several and says the end results are far better with the actual glass. I will be using a 39" screen in mine. I had thought also about seeing if I could mount the DMD monitor under the glass as well, but I like the neat and tidy look of it being above the playfield.. Plus that area behind the PF Monitor will house my strobes and flashers. I think that would mess with the monitor projecting up.

As far as flipping the display, it is just a simple registry key for each table that does it and I can write a script to do them all at once. So that is not too much of a pain.

I was just speaking with Greg and I think he is going to get me some pics of his glass in a couple weeks. He says the tint is a dot matrix style tint. I have a buddy here in town who does high end tint jobs of luxury cars and buildings. My thought is, I MAY be able to get him to figure out what the tint they actually use is. If so, we could have a much cheaper alternative to the P2K glass.

I can't wait to get my flat pack cabinet here so I can start tossing in goodies!!! I have been dreaming about this for a little over a year!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Well it looks tinted to me.
For his purpose the NightShades Tint would work fine. It just has to be tinted at the top to show the reflected DMD/or displays on the upper part of the glass. You can get something like the size of a large SEGA dmd image on the glass if you use a 23 inch LCD monitor reflecting down in the backbox and it fits nicely. Not sure how far you got in the project yet.

I am still in the gathering stage. My artist is working on some custom Transformers G1 ala IDW art for me, Greg will start CNC'ing my cabinet soon, I have a 22" LCD for my DMD and a 26" 16:10 LCD for my backglass. I have all the rest of the PC parts and my 39" Westinghouse in my shopping cart at BestBuy.com just waiting on me to throw it on the card

And I have a thread here and a couple other places looking for good deals on the cabinet hardware I will need. Plus I have a couple bots running to let me know of good deals on the force feedback gear I will be needing.

The Vpin will be named Optimus-Pin

1 week later
#15 11 years ago

Yea anything not using PinMAME... Or FuturePin, I have a couple of possibilities for. I can display the DMD on the backglass monitor, or there is a possible trick to make FP show the DMD on my 3rd Monitor anyway.

I will talk to Dazz, as I am a member at his new forums, VPUniverse.com and see him on chat everyday. But I think he used the spray on tint.

Thanks!

Also... out of curiosity.. Why are you buys buying P2K glass and stripping it?

#17 11 years ago

Dazz just used regular glass, no tint, no mirror. Just plain glass.

Markmon, do you happen to have any pictures of your setup? Aslo, do you have your Feedback LEDs in that area?

#18 11 years ago

This seems to be taboo to ask on the related forums.. So I will ask here.
Does anyone know where I can d/l or buy a large chunk of the Cabinet ready Tables with related artwork/videos/and XML ready to go?
It is not that I CAN'T get them on my own individually.. and have Premium memberships at the required sites... But wow this is going to take a long time to get set up. Much longer than it will take me to build the entire unit.
So I am not opposed to buying a copy of someone's ready to go setup

NEvermind, found one

#22 11 years ago

Thanks for the pic. That looks like a pretty nice build! That is a neat look, I will have to play around with it and see what I like.

My PF monitor will actually be even lower in the back it looks like, as I am mounting mine at an angle. I hope to have my cabinet here in a couple weeks.

#24 11 years ago

Thanks I was REALLY fortunate to find Mameman. I will be getting his first flatpack cabinet ever.
I am hoping to have it shipped to me so I can assemble it within a couple of weeks.

I have a build thread over at the hyperspin forums and at VPUniverse.com if you want to check it out. The thread is Optimus-Pin.

Let's see if this will let me add links...
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?22704-Optimus-Pin-P2k-Build-(39-24-22)

1 month later
#25 11 years ago

I figured you guys might like a peek at my progress thus far...
75A9106B-97A9-4476-9DB8-F6FDA5A26426-1.jpg75A9106B-97A9-4476-9DB8-F6FDA5A26426-1.jpg
Tomorrow I will get the buttons hooked up and install the Play Field LCD, so I can play a couple games. I hope to have most of the force feed back gear wired by the end of the weekend, so I can enjoy my President's day off... Playing Digital Pinball!!!!

2 weeks later
#26 11 years ago

I thought you guys might like to see a really quick video of the cabinet in it's first trial run. There is no sound in this video and it is not the best quality.. shot on my iPhone...

But this is it!

And this is my mostly completed Art work for it...

complete.jpgcomplete.jpg

#28 11 years ago

Nice!! That table looks awesome. I have to add it once I finish my hardware setup.
Mine has no tint in that video.. And I am still working with the spray on Tint. I did not spray it low enough when I tried it out... So I have to scrape it off and start again. But first I am going to play around with my RGB LEDs and Strobes placement.. Then I may or may not move the DMD up a bit.

I am using a 22" for the DMD and a 24 for the back glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider randyw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-glass-is-it-just-a-mirror-tint?tu=randyw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.