(Topic ID: 33988)

Pinball 2000 Glass, Is it just a mirror tint?

By RandyW

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Compy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

complete.jpg
75A9106B-97A9-4476-9DB8-F6FDA5A26426-1.jpg
IMG_1601.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luvthatapex2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 11 years ago

I have a Pin2K vpin and its awesome. I am using an original pin2k glass. I got the glass cheap from a friend since it was scratched, but it works fine on my cab. Its about 1/3 tinted at the top and clear the rest of the way. If I was going to do it myself, I would tint it maybe 1/4 of the way from the top with the NightShades product available at autostores.

Quoted from RandyW:

I am getting ramped up for my build of a Digital Pin sim in a custom P2K Cabinet.. And while shopping for parts, I realized just how EXPENSIVE the glass is for these!! So, being the DIY out of the Box kind of thinker I am paid to be.. I started postulating ideas as to how to replicate it.
I can't find a good picture of the glass itself, but it seems to me, it is just tempered glass, with the top 3/8's having a mirrored tint on it, like you see on cars these days. If that is the case, my local glass shop could replicate it for about $60.
Could someone that has a Pinball 2000 look at their glass and confirm this one way or the other for me? And if it is tint, does anyone know the percentage of the tinting?
Thanks!Randy

#6 11 years ago

Well it looks tinted to me.

For his purpose the NightShades Tint would work fine. It just has to be tinted at the top to show the reflected DMD/or displays on the upper part of the glass. You can get something like the size of a large SEGA dmd image on the glass if you use a 23 inch LCD monitor reflecting down in the backbox and it fits nicely. Not sure how far you got in the project yet.

2 months later
#27 11 years ago

Interesting. I have a real pin2k cabinet that i converted to a pin2k vpin and use the pin2k glass with a 23inch lcd inverted and i think it looks terrific. The dmd display is huge since it fills the back of the playfield section. If i had to say anything negative about the setup is the back area of the playfield is a little darker due to the gradient in the pin2k glass.

Here is a quick vid of the new scarface table
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=LE6a_g-HA50

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luvthatapex2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-glass-is-it-just-a-mirror-tint?tu=luvthatapex2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.