2021-10-21 08_35_43-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_36_07-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_37_08-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_36_57-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_41_28-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_41_56-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_42_21-Window (resized).png
2021-10-21 08_42_38-Window (resized).png
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I know this topic has been done to death. I want to build a back up computer for a revenge from mars. I cannot for the life of me find pinbox or nucore files anywhere that are not updates... wish we could just buy the damn files from planetary pinball. Any help? I can’t even find torrents

#2 4 years ago

I would be interested in doing this as well.

5 months later
#3 3 years ago

I am currently working at setting up a space nucore machine. Just to be sure to have a spare at hand before my current one breaks
buying parts at the moment and setting up virtual machines to see which version of Ubuntu to use.
I want to try the instructions from the bigguys forum for using ubuntu 18.04

/edit
I have succesfully installed nucore on an i5 cpu with pcie parallel port. It runs superfast

1 year later
#4 2 years ago

For the ones who like pinball 2000, I am working on a driver in mame.
This is what I have so far (see pictures )

2021-10-21 08_34_58-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_34_58-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_35_43-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_35_43-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_36_07-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_36_07-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_36_33-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_36_33-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_36_57-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_36_57-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_37_08-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_37_08-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_41_28-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_41_28-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_41_56-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_41_56-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_42_21-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_42_21-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_42_38-Window (resized).png2021-10-21 08_42_38-Window (resized).png
#5 2 years ago

Good job. Are the sounds still working too?

#6 2 years ago

DCS is work in progress. Pretty hard to get that figured out without documentation of some proprietary chips.

1 week later
#7 2 years ago

network card works?
more ram then stock systems?

#8 2 years ago

does updates load in?

#9 2 years ago

There is more ram in the machine then can ever be used by the current prism card and with a mame driver you can modify it yourself and recompile it
The NIC detection process works. I started writing my own driver and stopped at the moment that it was recognized correctly. The rest of the logic still needs to be finished.
Yes updates works, however the "normal" flash process does not work yet. However the updates are in nvram which is a file. Just update that with the version you want and it works. Also the 8Mb experimental update version (2.30) of applejuice works fine.
DCS does not work, commands are being send to either the midway IC or the other custom programmed cpld. I cannot find anything about those so looking at other drivers which uses the same 2104 adsp.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

There is more ram in the machine then can ever be used by the current prism card and with a mame driver you can modify it yourself and recompile it
The NIC detection process works. I started writing my own driver and stopped at the moment that it was recognized correctly. The rest of the logic still needs to be finished.
Yes updates works, however the "normal" flash process does not work yet. However the updates are in nvram which is a file. Just update that with the version you want and it works. Also the 8Mb experimental update version (2.30) of applejuice works fine.
DCS does not work, commands are being send to either the midway IC or the other custom programmed cpld. I cannot find anything about those so looking at other drivers which uses the same 2104 adsp.

can it emu an full flash prism card?

#11 2 years ago

You mean the prism which is completely built up with flash memory? No it cannot. Why would you want that?
With mame you can always add or change the roms yourself.
The biggest problem on Mame is to make connection to the emulator itself. I am not able to write to mame however I can connect a terminal session.
Still figuring out that problem. When that is fixed it might be possible to change the rom files to nvram files and then it should theoretically work.
It would be better to rewrite everything in qemu as that is much faster. However I like the debug option in Mame which makes it easy to develop everything so it works. That is the main goal for the moment. Optimizations can be done in a later stage

2 weeks later
#12 2 years ago

DCS is now working. The sound roms for RFM which are found on the internet are not correct. Luckily I had already dumped my own roms.
In mame I had to really underclock the mediaGX to get the emulation to run on 100% otherwise the ADSP (sound CPU) is not getting enough cycles so it will not really work. The downside is that the graphics are not as smooth as they should be.
Really need a better emulation system to get some performance.
So I will have a look and try to get things working in qemu just like nucore did. Can't be that hard with already a working mame version

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

DCS is now working. The sound roms for RFM which are found on the internet are not correct. Luckily I had already dumped my own roms.
In mame I had to really underclock the mediaGX to get the emulation to run on 100% otherwise the ADSP (sound CPU) is not getting enough cycles so it will not really work. The downside is that the graphics are not as smooth as they should be.
So I will have a look and try to get things working in qemu just like nucore did. Can't be that hard with already a working mame version

DCS roms are part of the update area

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

DCS roms are part of the update area

The sound data for P2K is stored in 2 4Mbyte chips called u9 and u10.
DCS data is stored in eeprom of 1mbyte and can indeed be updated however the sound data cannot be updated as those are in the masked roms ...

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

Wow, this is pretty exciting!

Which roms were wrong, the ones that are currently listed in mame, or the ones from nucore?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Wow, this is pretty exciting!
Which roms were wrong, the ones that are currently listed in mame, or the ones from nucore?

the rfm_u109.bin and rfm_u110.bin are not correct. Nucore is not using sound roms as they managed to extract the sound in a different way and then included them (I believe but am not sure) as mp3 files or so in their package. The original mame version was using the wrong ones but that implementation did not do anything so ...

1 month later
#17 2 years ago

I hope to add my code into the mame repository soon. Need to create a pull request. More people can then optimize my code. I am very certain that improvements can be made. However my main goal was to get things working

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

I hope to add my code into the mame repository soon. Need to create a pull request. More people can then optimize my code. I am very certain that improvements can be made. However my main goal was to get things working

and can the updates be added to the rom list? work on getting flash working?

#19 2 years ago

Updates already work. Just make a binary file in the right order and copy it as the correct nvram file and it works.
I can also supply files if needed. So no worries

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

Awesome! Can't wait to look at the commit!

#21 2 years ago

I have to re write some of the DCS code. I modified the current DCS2 code in a new file however I cannot compile all sources. I was working with only pin2k driver. Which is much quicker than compiling the complete source everytime. When that is finished I Will commit my code and let you know in this thread.

1 week later
#22 2 years ago

I just created a pull request in mame with my code. Gift for the coming new year
Hope this can contribute to something in the community.
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pull/9072

6 months later
#23 1 year ago

Out of curiosity, any progress on porting the work to qemu?

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Out of curiosity, any progress on porting the work to qemu?

or just add it to pinmame

9 months later
#25 11 months ago

After a year not working on this at all, I now started on getting it to work in QEMU.
Started a week ago and making good progress already
When there is something to show I will post some pictures.
Also want to make a DCS 2 emulator at least to extract sounds but maybe incorporate it in the emulator if it is quick enough

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from erikie:

After a year not working on this at all, I now started on getting it to work in QEMU.
Also want to make a DCS 2 emulator at least to extract sounds but maybe incorporate it in the emulator if it is quick enough

will that be able to read to the sound update data in the update flash zone?

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

will that be able to read to the sound update data in the update flash zone?

Cant promise anything but it is the goal

#28 11 months ago

Would be neat if this would make it easier to switch out playfields (no more ROM/PRISM cards to swap) and possibly make it more feasible for people to do homebrew playfields for the platform. I mean, theoretically the latter was already possible, but not in a practical way.

#29 11 months ago
Quoted from Rolpa:

Would be neat if this would make it easier to switch out playfields (no more ROM/PRISM cards to swap) and possibly make it more feasible for people to do homebrew playfields for the platform. I mean, theoretically the latter was already possible, but not in a practical way.

Nucore/Pinbox already makes it easy to switch playfields.

#30 11 months ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Only for RFM and SWE
Not if you want to play with WB or something else.
Nucore is a nice addon (have bought one long ago) however having it open source has much more opportunities.
Working my way now in the various memory areas of the prism card. It boots already however no graphics yet and still missing some small bits and pieces.

#31 11 months ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Aren't those no longer easily available, though? I had a RFM for a little while and looked into getting one or the other.

Quoted from erikie:

Only for RFM and SWE
Not if you want to play with WB or something else.
Nucore is a nice addon (have bought one long ago) however having it open source has much more opportunities.

What's WB?

#32 11 months ago
Quoted from Rolpa:

Aren't those no longer easily available, though? I had a RFM for a little while and looked into getting one or the other.

What's WB?

Wizard Blocks

#33 11 months ago

It's quite exciting to hear about the progress being made! Keep up the good work!

1 week later
#34 10 months ago

Graphics now work, not as fast as I would like. Need to rework this. Switching between machines is pretty easy by modifying a text file at the moment.
No DCS (yet). Console access works nicely.
I have a new pcie LPT adapter on my desk now with an extra cable. Also an LPT usb cable. Lets see if that would be possible. Would be need to just plug in the usb in the computer and db25 in the driver board.
I have a couple of spare driver boards to play with at home

WB qemu (resized).pngWB qemu (resized).pngep1 qemu (resized).pngep1 qemu (resized).pngrfm qemu (resized).pngrfm qemu (resized).png
#35 10 months ago
Quoted from erikie:

Graphics now work, not as fast as I would like. Need to rework this. Switching between machines is pretty easy by modifying a text file at the moment.
I have a new pcie LPT adapter on my desk now with an extra cable. Also an LPT usb cable. Lets see if that would be possible. Would be need to just plug in the usb in the computer and db25 in the driver board.
I have a couple of spare driver boards to play with at home [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome, great work!

#36 10 months ago

This is fantastic erikie!

#37 10 months ago

I would still have my RFM today if Nucor would have hung around…I was just to nervous holding on the machine with the risk it would become a paperweight. Hopefully another option comes into existence. Looks like headway is being made.

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I would still have my RFM today if Nucor would have hung around…I was just to nervous holding on the machine with the risk it would become a paperweight. Hopefully another option comes into existence. Looks like headway is being made.

This was a major reason I sold mine. I would like to have another some day.

Quoted from erikie:

I have a couple of spare driver boards to play with at home [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I read somewhere that the parallel port has to allow two way communication (I'm assuming to be able to send switch matrix state to the CPU) and that complicates finding an adapter for this application that works with a modern PC. I'm curious what exact adapter/cable you have.

#39 10 months ago

I already have a working setup with nucore and a pcie lpt Port … but want to experiment with more hardware like usb to parallel Port cable

#40 10 months ago
Quoted from erikie:

does networking and flash updates work?

#41 10 months ago

Damn. On Windows the whole thing is slow. Need to create a Linux environment to start developing on and see if the kvm acceleration works.
Whpx acceleration on Windows is not working on my code
First want to see how quick it can run with Graphics before I start fixing stuff.

#42 10 months ago

Just forget Windows when developing. It is a great system for everyday usage - browsers, email and office applications but for developing, Linux is way ahead. All tools are available, and it just works! If you need something extra, it its just a quick "apt install" or whatever in your distribution.

If you want to keep your main PC in Windows, install VMware or Virtualbox, and run Linux in that. You might then need some adjustments to run accelerated apps in virtual Linux.

#43 10 months ago

Will try that. Makes developing a but harder because of Daily Windows usage..
In the end it will need to run on Linux anyway

#44 10 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:Just forget Windows when developing. It is a great system for everyday usage - browsers, email and office applications but for developing, Linux is way ahead. All tools are available, and it just works! If you need something extra, it its just a quick "apt install" or whatever in your distribution.
If you want to keep your main PC in Windows, install VMware or Virtualbox, and run Linux in that. You might then need some adjustments to run accelerated apps in virtual Linux.

As a developer who has been forced to develop on Windows his whole professional career - I agree with every word of this.

#45 10 months ago

Any way to request/ask/beg for Nucore/pinbox source files? If nobody is updating SWEP1, let us try! I've virtualized SWEP1 on a old Dell computer and working a USB-parallel interface so we can use any computer with USB as well as HDMI connections instead of VGA.

Is there a software program to intercept parallel communications and save the results?

#46 10 months ago
Quoted from kasManiac:

Any way to request/ask/beg for Nucore/pinbox source files? If nobody is updating SWEP1, let us try! I've virtualized SWEP1 on a old Dell computer and working a USB-parallel interface so we can use any computer with USB as well as HDMI connections instead of VGA.
Is there a software program to intercept parallel communications and save the results?

I think it needs to be an full parallel port and not an cut down one that some USB ones are.

2 months later
#47 8 months ago
Quoted from kasManiac:

There is no problem to use a modern computer. Just plug in an PCIE parallel port card and you can use nucore / pinbox. Easy todo, nucore accepts different IO addresses for this.

Made good progress on graphics speed on my QEMU version for pinball 2000. Need to see if this also helps for my linux development pc. Which is way slower than my windows one when I run my code.

next step is to get the DCS code working in QEMU.
I managed to get DCS working in a console application in windows. I can play any music / sound effect from all the pinball 2000 roms

#48 8 months ago

Awesome progress! Thanks for keeping us informed

2 weeks later
#49 7 months ago

Finally running full speed in qemu
Created a special machine for pinball 2000
Left out all unnecessary stuff. Running really smooth next steps are real DCS emulation
And hooking up the parallel Port and connect my game to this code

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-2?hl=mdeslaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.