You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190227-210828 (resized).png
IMG_20190224_125959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190223_040204 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Anyone successful building a computer that will run the pinball 2000 software or nucore.

#2 5 years ago

Yes, many. I'm actually about to resurrect one that I started and attempt to complete it. All I can tell you is the computer I am using is an HP Compaq AMD 64. It ran, but the onboard sound was not working correctly, mostly noises. I installed a SoundBlaster card and reinstalled the software from the ground up and then the sound worked. I intend to use the existing CRT so I have a video converter card on order to try out.

#3 5 years ago

I'm really interested in doing this in the future. Getting ready to pick this machine up and looking for a backup plan in case the computer craps in the future. Not really sure where to start. Do you have to find an older computer? Software?

#4 5 years ago

Yeah, a little older - but not ancient. Dell small form factors like the Optiplex line seem to work. Being a horizontal case they can be fit into the mounting location better than a upright desktop. You also need a parallel port to run to the driver board. I can't guarantee anything - as I am just experimenting right now. The software is out there: both Pinbox bootleg and NuCore which has been made available for download. You'll also need an external audio amplifier if converting from the original hardware to a PC.

Oh, and I will be also using a solid state drive so that I can nudge!

#5 5 years ago

Ok. Far down the rabbit hole now. The actual computer I am using is an HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor. I was going to use a PC to Arcade board to keep the original CRT, but it didn't work very well, and the monitor started going wonky went I went to backtrack. So now I am going with an LCD monitor, that's on order. Gutted the head and figuring out where to put things. I just received my audio amplifier yesterday and it works nicely.

IMG_20190223_040204 (resized).jpgIMG_20190223_040204 (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Wayout440 would you build me a couple? I have the dell pc that bos told me to get. I would gladly pay you for your time. Dave is just so busy at the moment. Let me know! He had me buy the dell pc’s and the sata drives.

#7 5 years ago

I have 2 brand new and original sheets of glass for pinball 2000 machines if anyone is interested . I also have a wide body Invisi glass sheet brand new..
Let me know please ...

#8 5 years ago

I have a couple of spare computers that I built for a client that fell off the face of the Earth. Email me directly if you can't find someone to built you one, and would like one.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#9 5 years ago

Mounted PC and LED strip lamp. Just need the monitor to arrive.

IMG_20190224_125959 (resized).jpgIMG_20190224_125959 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

so do the prizm cards still get used in the computer?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from schradermt:

so do the prizm cards still get used in the computer?

No.

#12 5 years ago

I have a computer that I’m sending to rob at pinball classics to repair. I sure would like to build an after market system though. The dell computer your using what are the specs so I can find one.

#13 5 years ago

Can you use any of the micro form factor Dell PC’s like the Optiplex 5050’s or 7050’s?

#14 5 years ago

Happy Hour! Back up and running with new PC, Pinbox, sound system, and 22" widescreen LCD!

Screenshot_20190227-210828 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190227-210828 (resized).png
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

Can you use any of the micro form factor Dell PC’s like the Optiplex 5050’s or 7050’s?

Probably, but can't be certain. Somewhere I read that AMDs were not recommended, but I used one anyways because that is what I had on hand. It is an HP Compaq dc5750 Athlon 64 X2 2.0 GHz. Works great, but like I said, I had to install an aftermarket Soundblaster card because the onboard sound was garbled. You might find the onboard sound on a Dell to work, but there are so many models so no guarantees.

#16 5 years ago

Nice have fun!!

#17 5 years ago

I know people have said in the past that a Raspberry PI wouldn't work for P2K. Why not? Seems like they are powerful enough. Is it a connection thing?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Zimmer:

I know people have said in the past that a Raspberry PI wouldn't work for P2K. Why not? Seems like they are powerful enough. Is it a connection thing?

You need a parallel port on the pc to connect to the playfield driver board.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

You need a parallel port on the pc to connect to the playfield driver board.

There appear to be parrallel to usb devices. Is this the only reason no one has built a disk image?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Happy Hour! Back up and running with new PC, Pinbox, sound system, and 22" widescreen LCD!
[quoted image]

Can you share further details on the monitor and how got this all going on a PC?

Thanks.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Can you share further details on the monitor and how got this all going on a PC?
Thanks.

The monitor I chose is a Dell P2214H IPS 22". I temporarily set it up from inside the back of the back box, where the original monitor sat, but since it does not fit into the cutout for the original monitor, I was not happy with how the image was lining up and sitting too far back. I had to have the monitor mounted on the other side of the cutout above the glass to put the image in a better position. My mounting is all DIY.

Getting the game on a PC isn't super complicated. It's a Linux based iso. The only problem is it won't run "out of the box" until some code/configuration lines are modified.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-1?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.