6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinball 102 video ruleset emphasis”

• Stern 2003-present 48 votes
      60%
    • WPC 95 1995-1999 21 votes
      26%
    • Classic WPC 1991-1994 25 votes
      31%
    • Williams system 11 1986-1989 11 votes
      14%

(Multiple choice - 80 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

Pinball 102 will feature a heavy dose of "Video Rule sets" which will go over the rules and shots of games in detail in addition to play footage. Putting out a feeler to see which machine era people want to see most. ACDC will definitely be on there and we will likely feature 13-14 more machines.

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Any would be great really. I picked Modern Sterns. Thanks for doing these! Pinball 101 is awesome.

#3 6 years ago

I voted Stern as well. One thing, why no mention of Stern from '00-'02?

#4 6 years ago

Where is the wood rail era??? (:

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Not worth mentioning

#7 6 years ago

Video rule sets include strategy as well?? I am all for any 102 video for any game

#8 6 years ago

This isn't an option, but I would rather you pick two early SS games, two early 80s games, two late 80s games, a System 11, and at least one DMD from each manufacturer. It would be far more interesting to see the evolution of rules and attempt to frame them as that so you can develop general playing strategies then it would be to dive into just one era.

If you have to dive into just one era, do modern Sterns only because they are the mostly likely to be seen in tournaments nowadays.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

Not worth mentioning

True, but is Monopoly worth mentioning? Just my thought since that was probably their best pin before TSPP and LOTR came along.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

True, but is Monopoly worth mentioning?

It has serious software issues that would keep it out of a tournament. I forget what they are offhand, but I really like the game... but I would never buy one for that exact reason.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Same here.

Quoted from goatdan:

It has serious software issues that would keep it out of a tournament.

I dont see this as a valid reason to NOT give some explanation of the rules.

#12 6 years ago

RCT would be nice as well. 2002

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

This isn't an option, but I would rather you pick two early SS games, two early 80s games, two late 80s games, a System 11, and at least one DMD from each manufacturer. It would be far more interesting to see the evolution of rules and attempt to frame them as that so you can develop general playing strategies then it would be to dive into just one era.

If you have to dive into just one era, do modern Sterns only because they are the mostly likely to be seen in tournaments nowadays.

I agree with goatdan.
    V/r,
    sealdan

#14 6 years ago

LOTR, IJ and STTNG. Just my two cents.

#15 6 years ago

We will definitely do a few from each era but looks like we will concentrate on Stern 2001-present.

#16 6 years ago

or the whole thing can be Pin-Opera II starring Hank

#18 6 years ago

What Dan said... spread the pinball love to all the solid state era stuff! Great job on the first DVD by the way. Fantastic stuff, but it didn't help because I still suck. My kid can kick my ass now though so it does work!

Charlie
    http://www.spookypinball.com

#19 6 years ago

TSPP has already been done by Bowen, and done VERY VERY well...no need to do again..

https://vimeo.com/20274994

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Where is the wood rail era??? (:

Highlights of the rules on some woodrails are on The Pinball Collector.

This guy does woodrail restos and covers the rules of the games he restores pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/animecrash2/videos?view=0

#21 6 years ago

JM, CSI, 24,

An in depth look at all of the subtle and cool hidden things in Goldeneye would be cool..

Lots to that game, when you spend the time with it...

Its cool your gonna educate the masses...

Lots of hidden gems out there...

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

We will definitely do a few from each era but looks like we will concentrate on Stern 2001-present.

Sweet been looking forward to an Austin Powers tutorial for years!!!!!!

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

TSPP has already been done by Bowen, and done VERY VERY well...no need to do again..
    ยป Vimeo video

I don't know. If Keith can get to SDMEWM on camera, I'd buy the DVD just for that.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

I don't know. If Keith can get to SDMEWM on camera, I'd buy the DVD just for that.

I don't think he cares to try. (;

#26 6 years ago

Please spend some time on the strategic subtleties of WPT! And, beyond game-specific rules, I'd like t see more detailed tips for nudging games.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I dont see this as a valid reason to NOT give some explanation of the rules.

I don't know - personally, if I know that there are big software issues with the rules, then if I'm playing a game specifically for score, I'm very likely to NOT play that particular title. There are games that have software issues that I can overlook and just have fun on - Monopoly and NGG are the two that come to mind - but I don't really have interest in learning to exploit rules on a machine that I know has issues with it's rules anyway.

I'd rather they take the rulesets of games that I'm more likely to really want to figure out how to score higher on.

I'd also like to request maybe purposely NOT doing the "usual heavyweights." Don't give me TAF, AFM, MM, TZ, LOTR and SM. Pick games that are sort of similar, and then say, "This game plays like _______." so you can look for similarities in strategies.

As a for instance, show me how to play a DE title, and you pretty much show me what the DE strategy is for most of the games in the early 90s. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DE titles, but it's shocking how similar a lot of the rulesets really are. Explaining one in depth, and saying there are similar features on these other DE titles from the era will give me a much better background knowledge of how to play that era game then showing me how Tommy, TFTC, JP and LAH all are basically the same ruleset with different playfields.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Please spend some time on the strategic subtleties of WPT! And, beyond game-specific rules, I'd like t see more detailed tips for nudging games.

Wait, you actually like WPT? A Stern?

(Emails Steve to let him know his account has been hacked)

#29 6 years ago

Pin Opera!!!

#30 6 years ago

Hey MHS/ Keith, just wondering what are the chances of doing some videos showing the players as well? I really enjoy the videos that have been done on pinball.org but thought that people might also want to see the player in these games as well. I am sure people would like to see the difference in playing styles like Lyman and Robert Gagno etc. An example of this was a video taken of Bowen:

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Quoted from jonnyo:

Ya, ya, ya. . Truth is, I think WPT is my #1 favorite game ever. And the LOTR
    I own is in the top 5. Do not confuse my disdain/loathing of Stern's current marketing/LE/pricing policies with my appreciation and enjoyment of many of their games.

3 years later
    #32 2 years ago

Whatever happened to this project?

#34 2 years ago

Really enjoyed the video and scoring strategies, thanks for posting!!! Does this mean Pinball 102 is getting close?

#35 2 years ago

P102 is posted in chunks on youtube under the pinball 101 account.

#36 2 years ago

I would be very happy if it was possible to buy the pinball 101 as a download!

#37 2 years ago

Any reason why you didn't release this on DVD as well?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 10.00
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 279.95
    $ 254.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside