Pin2K update questions

By Mando

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Have an RFM headed my way..based on a picture of it I think it has version 1.0 I want to update it have a USB Serial Adapter(On the way), Win XP & Null Modem cable(on the way). Have read mixed results about that combo working.

That said I am less worried about getting connected and more worried about somehow corrupting the game if something goes wrong. From my research I have not seen anyone screw up their pink2k with an update but just checking before I embark on this quest

#2 11 years ago

Worst case scenario, if anything goes wrong. Borygard posts here. Contact him for help.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

haha lets hope nothing goes wrong. This is a very nice RFM coming my way! but there seems to be many many changes from 1.0...hopefully its not really 1.0 but sure seems to be from the pic I saw I have no issues finding my way around a PC, its the lack of a prism card if something went wrong that worries me haha.

Perhaps I should enjoy it a bit before I tinker.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

its the lack of a prism card

They aren't as rare anymore. With a box full found at Gene's sale and people that converted to nucore.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

ok makes me feel 1% more confident I am sure if I can connect and start the process I will be good to go, if I can't then im safe too

#6 11 years ago

The process is easy. Even I can do it!

I was REALLY nervous the first time I switched from RFM to SWE1 but it was fine. Just take your time, and remember to go into the settings and :DISABLE UPDATE CODE" or something like that BEFORE you do the switch.

Chris

#7 11 years ago

I've updated a few times. It's really easy.

Hardest part was finding a computer with a com port!

Lloyd, tell me more about this box full of prism cards!!!

I wish someone had a box full of the original PC's that got replaced. I'd like a spare, if I can't get a darned NuCore....

#8 11 years ago

I did mine 3 weeks ago with some help from the board here.
The only thing that finally worked for me was installing a actual serial port via the laptop card slot on the side.
I tried 2 different usb / serial adapters or sometimes called convertors and they didn't work, driver issues, even though it kept saying best driver already installed.
Some have had luck that way.

#9 11 years ago

Cool yea I will figure out the serial port part. Have a usb adapter coming but if it doesnt work I will dig up something with an actual serial port I am very computer savy, its what I do for a living. I guess my main concern was if it blew up during the install if it could corrupt the ROM...but doesnt seem like that has ever happened. Hopefully there is not a first time for everything LOL

Quoted from tamoore:

I'd like a spare, if I can't get a darned NuCore....

I almost bought a nucore when it was announced they were going on hiatus, just in case I ever got a pin2k. Figured worst case I can sell it, well didnt do it and now I have a pin2k and no nucore Anyone selling a nucore for a reasonable price

#10 11 years ago

I update mine with a USB serial adapter cable and the null modem cable. The important thing is what SilverUnicorn mentioned, Disable Update Code before performing the update.

Something else that is helpful is to put the update file in the root of the drive you are using for updating. That way the software doesn't have to search for it. It can take a while for it to find the file and you can't stop it IIRC.

#11 11 years ago

ok sounds good, what does setting "disable update code" accomplish? I was thinking that would make it revert to the base code level?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

ok sounds good, what does setting "disable update code" accomplish? I was thinking that would make it revert to the base code level?

it should disable any updated code already available in the flash rom of your game, so it will boot with the original code shipped in the ROMs.

When I got my RFM, it had the v1.2 update and I went straight to v1.5 without "DISABLE UPDATE CODE". It worked just fine, so I think that this issue is important only when you're switching between games, like RFM to SW:EP1 conversions. In those cases it seems useful to disable any updates before the conversion.

regards
Buk

#13 11 years ago

Cool, wish me luck! Game gets here tomorrow will see if I can do it then. I am thinking the disable update code may not be a bad idea because it will force it to boot to factor code should the upgrade process go wrong.

Adam

#14 11 years ago

Ok worked like a champ! This game I got it HUO minty fresh! Sadly had a little mishap and scratched the tmolding on the back But you cant see it..and its just tmolding.

Also have 3 switches that dont register...I think I just need to adjust them the two outlanes and the left orbit. They work with my hand but not a ball..well the orbit somtimes works with a ball

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Ok worked like a champ! This game I got it HUO minty fresh! Sadly had a little mishap and scratched the tmolding on the back But you cant see it..and its just tmolding.
Also have 3 switches that dont register...I think I just need to adjust them the two outlanes and the left orbit. They work with my hand but not a ball..well the orbit somtimes works with a ball

you'll probably need to replace the switches. those cherry switches are prone to fail on RFM. I had five that i just could not get to register with the ball. Pinball life has them:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2k-update-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.