(Topic ID: 37658)

Pin2K patents? Why is there no interest in replicating P2K?

By Anim8ormatt

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08673.JPG
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

Oh also, I'm not saying it makes business sense to re-run Pin2k unless you can get a certain amount of numbers up. However, I'm just saying if you WERE to make something Pin2k-esque, it would need to be based on common architecture to ensure 1) The life of the product, 2) training costs for development are low and 3) maximum hardware architecture support as things change over the years.

Quoted from chessiv:

Well said. I do love the work you're doing and trust me, you wouldn't want to work on original pin2k code running on xinu.

Party pooper! Lets bust out QEMU and have some fun!

#52 11 years ago

Oh also, I'm not saying it makes business sense to re-run Pin2k unless you can get a certain amount of numbers up. However, I'm just saying if you WERE to make something Pin2k-esque, it would need to be based on common architecture to ensure 1) The life of the product, 2) training costs for development are low and 3) maximum hardware architecture support as things change over the years.

Quoted from chessiv:

Well said. I do love the work you're doing and trust me, you wouldn't want to work on original pin2k code running on xinu.

Party pooper! Lets bust out QEMU and have some fun!

#53 11 years ago

Its a sad state of affairs when MONEY and GREED stop people from making a hobby better.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

No it ain't - pinball machines are built using 'embedded processors' NOT PC's (Personal Computers)

Nowadays, there's very little distinction between these two. WOZ is built using an "embedded PC" running Linux.

The fact that one can replace P2K with a Nucore PC-based system shows that the P2K concept won't have to become obsolete and can continue to be upgraded based on the latest available technology, all of which is backwards-compatible.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2k-patents-why-is-there-no-interest-in-replicating-p2k/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.