8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dpqrm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadtower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Okay, same issue others have had, but I'm not finding a lot of prism specific details on the net. I have Googled hard and Googled deep.

I have a Pin2k that has been rock solid reliable for years. Been running SWE1 for two years or so converted from RFM. Known good ROMs, etc. Stock computer and using a later model WG CRT. Occasionally the PC would fail to boot when the game was turned on (with fluo lit) and I'd have to fiddle with the PC's AT switch. That was a known issue for years.

Recently the video just flat out died. I saw no neck glow on the CRT at all, and since the CRT was a bit hacky and I hate working on them, I decided this was a good time to convert to LCD. I picked up a sync adapter dongle produced by a reputable Pinside member and paired it with the usual GBS-8220. I powered the GBS and the adapter off of a PCI USB card in the PC. Then I added the one known compatible network card and around that time the video stopped working. I measured power at the adapter at around 4.9v so I figured the power supply just wasn't cutting it for all of that added load. I replaced the power supply and removed the USB card switching to wall warts plugged into the wall for the adapter and GBS for testing purposes. Clean 5v to both, network card out, USB card out, no video.

The game does fully boot and is playable but there is no video coming through the GBS. It stays on No Signal. I can get into the menus just fine on the GBS.

This is where I start debugging. I started by replacing the power supply with a brand new AT because I don't know if that had ever been done. I pulled the prism card and booted to VGA. I can see the machine POST through the RAM test right up to the "no boot device" error. The motherboard looks good.

When I try to boot with the prism card in to the VGA I get the "out of sync" error you would expect. Still, I get no video through the adapter+converter so I have no idea what it's actually putting out. I have not yet replaced the motherboard 2032 or the prism card's battery but I'd be shocked if that made a difference.

There is an LED on the prism card. It appears to come on solid for the boot sequence and then starts blinking at a constant rate. No pattern to the blinking. I have Googled hard to find info on that LED's purpose and can't find anything. Is that a clue here?

Does anyone have any advice? I do have a WG arcade drop in LCD I could try to eliminate the conversion factor. I'm not sure if I would need to mod the original video cable, though. I'd have to look at the pinouts.

#5 8 years ago

Heh, yeah, I did put a lot of info.

#1 and #2 didn't change anything. I tried those but it's probably lost in that manifesto I posted above.

I haven't sat down to interpret the video cable pinout yet so I can ensure the cable matches what the WG LCD expects. That will be one of my next steps. I don't want to test with that monitor without being sure any bad image is the result of bad video and not a mismatched cable.

Quoted from lurch:

Too much..... lets try the typical troubleshooting steps.
1) start by removing the network card you installed (leave it out until you have the machine working again).
2) try moving the prism card to the other slot on the motherboard
3) try the WG arcade LCD (just plug in and set on the glass, dont bother installing)
Im 100% sure the batteries do not prevent boot-up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadtower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2k-no-video-suspect-prism-card?tu=chadtower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.