Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by trueno92
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201118_225120 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello,

I just installed a brand new pin2dmd XL in my Baywatch. I have lots of pixels noise on the display, quite unbearable. Also colors are sometimes right, sometimes wrong, Sonic in attract mode is green instead of blue, etc... Here are 2 videos showing the issues:

Firmware was 3.15, upgraded to 3.17, no change. I have tried 2 different SD cards, no change. "Pixel noise" is already here without sd card anyway.

Did someone already see this?

Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

So, I've fixed the color issue, the default RGB palette of the display has to be changed (and someone had told me this before on vpu.. thanks to him).
    But the awful pixel parasites are still there. I've tried with an external 12V supply instead of the 18V connector from the pin, exactly same result.
    Plus there's something strange in the config menu, when a button is depressed the menu is clear but as soon as the button is released, the menu becomes shaky/blurry... even with the display disconnected from the pinball so this has nothing to do with the pinball here. See video, I'm starting to wonder if the pin2dmd is not defective?....

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

So, I've fixed the color issue, the default RGB palette of the display has to be changed (and someone had told me this before on vpu.. thanks to him).
    But the awful pixel parasites are still there. I've tried with an external 12V supply instead of the 18V connector from the pin, exactly same result.
    Plus there's something strange in the config menu, when a button is depressed the menu is clear but as soon as the button is released, the menu becomes shaky/blurry... even with the display disconnected from the pinball so this has nothing to do with the pinball here. See video, I'm starting to wonder if the pin2dmd is not defective?....

The supply voltage is too high. If it is a EVO 192x64 you need to change R32 to 4.7k instead of 3.9k (design change from July 2020). If it is a Nucleo with a adjustable DC-DC converter you need to lower it until the pixel noise disappears.

#4 3 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for the hint. It's an Evo, isn't it supposed to be plug& play? Plus it has the same behaviour with an external 12V power supply. I just tried with a pinballsp display instead, powered by the original Molex connector of the pinball, and no issue of this kind:

R32 is a cms, changing it will void the warranty for sure because it will be visible. I suppose that lowering the 18V or 12V supply would have no effect?

#5 3 years ago

Errr... I just looked closer and took a picture, obviously R32 already has been changed and it seems to be a 4.7K, labeled "4701".... what's that mess?
    So there's another issue here..
    Thanks.

20201118_225120 (resized).jpg20201118_225120 (resized).jpg
    #6 3 years ago

Could you please measure the power on the panels ? The change was necessary to adapt to the specs of the latest batch of panels from china.
    If you have a pinballSP display, it runs with old panels which did not have that problem. The EVO is as much plug and play as the pinballSP display if it is working correctly. Lowering the input voltage down to something between 4 and 5V could also work.

#7 3 years ago

Hi Joerg,

Voltage at the panels is 4.14V .

#8 3 years ago

That should be working. Maybe you can try a shorter ribbon cable from the EVO pcb to the first panel.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

That should be working. Maybe you can try a shorter ribbon cable from the EVO pcb to the first panel.

Well, good guess, thanks. I stole a short one from the pinballsp display, used it as 1st connection from the evo board to the 1st led panel and problem is already greatly improved although not completely gone... I'm going to try to shorten all 3 as much as possible and will post the result.

#10 3 years ago

OK, so all 3 ribbons shortened to the max (1st one 5cm instead of 17 and half-turns..), and good news, parasites are gone, display is crystal clear! Design/assembly mistake here..

But... next issue (didn't want to mix them). The display does not boot up when the pinball is switched on I have to press reset on the display once the pin has been switched on and then everything is fine. Which is of course not possible in daily use. Any idea on this?.. might need a change in the firmware I think. When the display is out of the pin, it boots fine as soon as power arrives.

Thanks.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

When the display is out of the pin, it boots fine as soon as power arrives.

Does it boot in the pin when no ribbon cable is attached ?

#12 3 years ago

I just tried, and it didn't boot either. I then removed the SD card, and it boots fine when the pinball is switched on. Weird.

So, I tried with a Sandisk SD instead of the Samsung. Now the display boots fine with the pinball, but it ignores the sd card, like if it was not there (no colorization). Again, if I press reset, then everything is fine and colorization is there. Definitely seems a firmware issue (currently 3.17).

#13 3 years ago

Try setting the pal storage to RAM in the onscreen menu.

#14 3 years ago

Hello, I tried that, no change unfortunately.

#16 3 years ago

I have tried 3.16, with 3 different sd cards, then 3.15 with the same 3 SD cards, always the same behaviour. Either steady black screen , or sd card ignored at boot, depending on the card. Each time, with any firmware or any sd card, pressing reset on the display fixes the issue. The sd cards are working at boot since it takes properly the .upd file when I change the firmware....

#17 3 years ago

Maybe the colorization files are corrupt

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Maybe the colorization files are corrupt

Then there would probably be other issues after resetting the display. But I'll download them again tomorrow and do a checksum to be sure.
    I'll try cpu rom 4.0 too, I have 4.01 from pinballcode, I doubt this will change anything, but... I have to try everything.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

Then there would probably be other issues after resetting the display. But I'll download them again tomorrow and do a checksum to be sure.
    I'll try cpu rom 4.0 too, I have 4.01 from pinballcode, I doubt this will change anything, but... I have to try everything.

I will see if I can reproduce anything on the bench next week.

#20 3 years ago

Hello,

I have redownloaded and compared the 2 colorization files. Identical. I have replaced the 4.01 game code by official 4.0 . No change

#21 3 years ago

I tried to reproduce your problem in my Batman Forever but unfortunatelly it starts up and loads the Baywatch colorization without a problem.
    Best guess I have is that it is either a power supply or SD card timing problem. If you want we can do some tests to see if I can fix the problem remotely.
    send me a PM with our e-mail address.

#22 3 years ago

Thanks, PM sent. Yeah it looks like some kind of timing issue with the boot process/order. Should be possible to fix this via software, well I hope so otherwise I'll have to return it, but the next one could be the same.

#23 3 years ago

So, very good news today, with a new beta firmware adding a small delay in the sd card initialization, the problem is gone and the display now 100% working as expected. Thanks a lot Joerg!

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

So, very good news today, with a new beta firmware adding a small delay in the sd card initialization, the problem is gone and the display now 100% working as expected. Thanks a lot Joerg!

Thanks for testing ! New version is on github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest

#25 3 years ago

Amazing support and resolution..

And i want a batman forever!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-xl-issue-in-baywatch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.