toomanyquestionmarks.gif
shootupkicker.gif
Scene_Palette (resized).png
1506278991207-1225851891 (resized).jpg
15062788121261145101925 (resized).jpg
insert coins.gif
IMG_0842.GIF
IMG_0790.GIF

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 3 years ago

Good morning,

Pinball browser colorization methods has a severe limitation with regards to rom size, I get loads of memory errors when trying to apply some of the macros (in this case for Star Trek).

This leads me to the following question: is there a fundamental reason why PIN2DMD cannot fully support Stern SAM using the traditional PIN2DMD colorization technique ? Is this completely impossible, or is this a SW development resource limitation ?

ColorDMD seems to be capable of supporting this without any change to the ROM, so I would assume PIN2DMD should be able to ? Unless there is a patent constraint ?

Regards

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

AFAIK Dynmaic framing/triggering doesnt work for Stern SAM. So any frame with a number that can change cannot be done with the current editor. I am going through the same thing with my Xmen.

Yes, I was aware of that limitation. I'm just wondering if there is a technical roadblock, or if this down to purely development ressource constraint. I would think an implementation of PIN2DMD regular DMD structures (in .FSQ and .PAL) would not have any limitation related to rom size (plus would be more easy to transfer around).

4 weeks later
#77 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

History with firmware version 4.0 I just released as beta together with a new version of the editor which supports 64 colors per frame.
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4609-pin2dmd-colorprism-v40-firmware/

I won't pretend that I understood fully the limitations you outlined regarding Stern SAM support, but... Does this new version imply that it's actually now possible?

Regards

2 weeks later
#89 3 years ago

Congratulation, if I'm not mistaken this is the first SAM game colorized using PIN2DMD updated tool and firmware, am I right ?

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

This colorization works on standard firmware without any rom patching actions. And as i know it's first sam game colorized via pin2dmd editor.

Exactly my point

Pretty cool, I'm glad I did not spend time on learning Pinball Browser... And oga83 should really really really allow to export DMD frames now, since if I understand correctly, with your method there is no rom size limit (as there is with PB method) ?

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

This files load on sd card on device, you don’t need do anything else, it’s not touch firmware on sam cpu

Lovely. Time to issue another PIN2DMD build for my SAM games

What's next ? May I suggest Star Trek Pro/Premium/LE (OK, I admit, I have one)
And maybe Tron (although I actually wonder if this makes sense for this one)

#97 3 years ago

There was a Star Trek colorization done using Pinball Browser, I could never use the macro system to apply it to my premium rom, kept throwing out errors. I wish there was an easy way to convert that colorization to pin2dmd

The Walking Dead maybe?
Thinking of it, Tron would be nice, I'm sure there something to be done

1 week later
#103 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Who asked colorization? ))) After complete colorization for POTC on pin2dmd, i am finished another game - WPT. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know.

Wow you're fast....

3 months later
#109 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

nearly finished my hobby colorization project of Spiderman Red. I have used the 64-color-version of the editor and a custom python-script to help me with colorizing the many low-res film scenes. The result is therefore not nearly as good as the quality achieved by professionals (e.g. colorDMD), but in my opinion it is an improvement over the grayscale (amber/red) original. (Brief) footage of a sample gameplay can be found here:
If you are interested in the files, they can be found here for real and virtual:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q__q_HgxcnrJYsiWvfIJxJfNF6XgNhC-
Let me know, what you think.
c.

Indeed better, although it's hard to judge picture quality from this distance for the animated scenes.

You mention a Python script, would you mind to elaborate? Interested into how you use Python to automate colorization.

Regards

1 week later
#131 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

as lucky mentioned, the interpolation mechanism is currently being integrated into the latest version of the editor. The mechanism exploits optical flow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_flow) between key-frames, that are colored by hand. Frames between key-frames are automatically colored by propagating color-information from neighbouring key-frames using the optical-flow vectors. The script uses the optical-flow library of openCV (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCV). I will clean-up the script and then provide a link....
c.

Ah cool, using optical flow is indeed a nice idea (yes I'm familiar with it).

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

btw, installing Pin2DMD into my spider-man was not straight forward for me. I had originally the red LED-display installed. Stern uses an intermediate resistor board glued to the socket to adjust the signals for their then new led panel (see picture below). I had to remove that small board before hooking up the Pin2DMD.[quoted image]

Funny, looks like resistor in series, very likely to adjust input level to something lower than 5V... I would have thought they would have used at least a clean level shifter. Can't be bus termination, as it would need to be closer to the input.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.