toomanyquestionmarks.gif
shootupkicker.gif
Scene_Palette (resized).png
1506278991207-1225851891 (resized).jpg
15062788121261145101925 (resized).jpg
insert coins.gif
IMG_0842.GIF
IMG_0790.GIF
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 3 years ago

i am tried to colorize it, but pass with this idea and switched on WPT. As i know - nobody worked on this project.

#102 3 years ago

Who asked colorization? ))) After complete colorization for POTC on pin2dmd, i am finished another game - WPT. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Who asked colorization? ))) After complete colorization for POTC on pin2dmd, i am finished another game - WPT. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know.

Wow you're fast....

1 week later
#104 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Damn that looks great! Now do Iron Man!!
Pretty please!?

#105 3 years ago

I wouldn't mind a CSI colorization as well! I have a Pin2DMD installed in mine right now, and have it using the green profile, which looks pretty good on a lot of the scenes right out the gate.

3 weeks later
#106 3 years ago

Hey! New colorization is here I am finished another game - Family Guy. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know. Whats game to colorize next?
PS: Scene with car in video also was fixed. 

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hey! New colorization is here I am finished another game - Family Guy. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know. Whats game to colorize next?
PS: Scene with car in video also was fixed.

I vote for Iron Man next!!

2 months later
#108 2 years ago

nearly finished my hobby colorization project of Spiderman Red. I have used the 64-color-version of the editor and a custom python-script to help me with colorizing the many low-res film scenes. The result is therefore not nearly as good as the quality achieved by professionals (e.g. colorDMD), but in my opinion it is an improvement over the grayscale (amber/red) original. (Brief) footage of a sample gameplay can be found here:

If you are interested in the files, they can be found here for real and virtual:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q__q_HgxcnrJYsiWvfIJxJfNF6XgNhC-

Let me know, what you think.
c.

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

nearly finished my hobby colorization project of Spiderman Red. I have used the 64-color-version of the editor and a custom python-script to help me with colorizing the many low-res film scenes. The result is therefore not nearly as good as the quality achieved by professionals (e.g. colorDMD), but in my opinion it is an improvement over the grayscale (amber/red) original. (Brief) footage of a sample gameplay can be found here:
If you are interested in the files, they can be found here for real and virtual:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q__q_HgxcnrJYsiWvfIJxJfNF6XgNhC-
Let me know, what you think.
c.

Indeed better, although it's hard to judge picture quality from this distance for the animated scenes.

You mention a Python script, would you mind to elaborate? Interested into how you use Python to automate colorization.

Regards

#110 2 years ago

Looks amazing.

Would be awesome if you could share you script or some insights to automate with the community.. Last Action hero is getting some 64 color treatment but its very time consuming.

Its looking better than the colordmd verison now.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#111 2 years ago

Steve integrated ported the python code to java already and integrated the functionality into the latest source on his github repo.
We are currently working on a new build to be released soon.

#112 2 years ago

I have a Pin2DMD on the way. Could someone post a picture of their SAM cable setup? I want to make sure I have everything I need to hook it up to my Iron Man. It looks like you don't have to use Pinball Browser with SAM machines exclusively anymore to colorize. Just want to double check the connection from SAM to computer to record the DMD from Iron Man. Thanks

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

I have a Pin2DMD on the way. Could someone post a picture of their SAM cable setup? I want to make sure I have everything I need to hook it up to my Iron Man. It looks like you don't have to use Pinball Browser with SAM machines exclusively anymore to colorize. Just want to double check the connection from SAM to computer to record the DMD from Iron Man. Thanks

Did you also purchase an IronMan colorization file from someone? Or you might find it for free at VPuniverse, etc. That will sve you hundreds of hours doing the colorization yourself...

As for the SAM install, it's basically the power cable that is needed. Check with Mezel and/or PinballLife to see if they stock the power adapter for SAM.

#114 2 years ago

Yes the Iron Man color is included. As well as power cable. I was very confused as to what to use to record the animations.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

Yes the Iron Man color is included. As well as power cable. I was very confused as to what to use to record the animations.

If you have the hardware board and the colorization file, then you just install and it will work. The quality of the images will be as the author saw fit. That said, You will probably never need to work on the software yourself…

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

You can use the pin2dmd.exe tool to record/dump the animations https://pin2dmd.com/tool/

The tool can be found here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/tools

#117 2 years ago

lucky1, Thank you for the links. I spent some time this morning reading up on how to get Pin2DMD installed. I was able to get the tools and editor installed just waiting on the DMD to arrive.

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

lucky1, Thank you for the links. I spent some time this morning reading up on how to get Pin2DMD installed. I was able to get the tools and editor installed just waiting on the DMD to arrive.

Great ! If you have further questions please ask your supplier or in the VPUniverse forum.

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

Your statement is a bit confusing. From what I understand, no one has taken on doing Iron Man for PIN2DMD displays. Did someone tell you they were going to provide you with the files? As Markharris2000 said, if they are providing files, there's nothing you have to do other than install it. If it requires the extra cable that is used for some Stern games such as Metallica then there's more to it.

If you want to try to do the colourization yourself, unless this person is providing you with all their project files, you will be starting from scratch. Be prepared as there is a lot of work involved. You can check the threads on vpuniverse.com for more info.

#120 2 years ago

Hello,
Does anybody know it there is a project running for Jack*bot?

Thanks

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Your statement is a bit confusing. From what I understand, no one has taken on doing Iron Man for PIN2DMD displays. Did someone tell you they were going to provide you with the files? As Markharris2000 said, if they are providing files, there's nothing you have to do other than install it. If it requires the extra cable that is used for some Stern games such as Metallica then there's more to it.
If you want to try to do the colourization yourself, unless this person is providing you with all their project files, you will be starting from scratch. Be prepared as there is a lot of work involved. You can check the threads on vpuniverse.com for more info.

I am a bit confusing for sure. I have been trying to figure out if the "side channel" serial cable was needed with the Pin2Dmd evo. It is a SAM board like Metallica and ACDC, I believe I do need extra cable for it to work with Iron Man. I just received the Pin2dmd evo yesterday in the mail, was told it would be activated and the IM colorization would be loaded on sd card already. I have not yet powered it up so I don't know if there are any IM colorizations on there yet. I sure hope so. I have been using Pinball Browser to modify some of the dmd animations on my Iron Man and want to be able to color those with the Pin2dmd editor so they match the rest of the game. I would love to tinker some more with the movie clips but it eats up so much of the memory, I am hoping that Pin2dmd would help. I really appreciate all the help, Thanks
TheFool

#122 2 years ago

If the colorization is based on pinball browsers smartdmd modified ROM / serial side-channel method you need a serial cable for the side channel. (search for smartdmd and pinball browser for explanation here in the forum). If you colorize using pin2dmd editor you don´t need the side-channel.

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

If the colorization is based on pinball browsers smartdmd modified ROM / serial side-channel method you need a serial cable for the side channel. (search for smartdmd and pinball browser for explanation here in the forum). If you colorize using pin2dmd editor you don´t need the side-channel.

Thanks lucky1, Do I need the side-channel to record what is currently on my Iron Man? I have some video sequences that were uploaded via Pinball Browser that I have loaded on my machine. I would like to do some others but running out of memory quickly, wanted to try the Pin2dmd to see if I could do some more customizations.
BTW I have a ColorDMD that I was using and the power cable from it is already installed on my machine, will that work with the Pin2dmd evo? I assumed it would, but don't want to try anything that may fry the board. The power hookup that came with the Pin2dmd is for the 12v WPC and I see the 5v says SAM so again, I thought I would ask. thanks again
TheFool

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

Do I need the side-channel to record what is currently on my Iron Man?

No !

Quoted from TheFool:

BTW I have a ColorDMD that I was using and the power cable from it is already installed on my machine, will that work with the Pin2dmd evo? I assumed it would, but don't want to try anything that may fry the board. The power hookup that came with the Pin2dmd is for the 12v WPC and I see the 5v says SAM so again, I thought I would ask. thanks again

Check the voltage and connect accordingly !

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

No !

Check the voltage and connect accordingly !

I have to hook mine up so I can send you some money to get an activation key. Mine just arrived and I'm going to be using it on a Data East Star Wars.

32c1635bb0cce18b41b76bc5ee25567512014acb (resized).jpg32c1635bb0cce18b41b76bc5ee25567512014acb (resized).jpg

20210610_160542 (resized).jpg20210610_160542 (resized).jpg
#126 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have to hook mine up so I can send you some money to get an activation key. Mine just arrived and I'm going to be using it on a Data East Star Wars.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

https://pin2dmd.com/installation/#3

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFool:

Thanks lucky1, Do I need the side-channel to record what is currently on my Iron Man? I have some video sequences that were uploaded via Pinball Browser that I have loaded on my machine. I would like to do some others but running out of memory quickly, wanted to try the Pin2dmd to see if I could do some more customizations.
TheFool

Wow! If you do have full colorization for IM that would be awesome and I’d love to see video of it. I was able to get some dump files from mine onto my laptop but simply haven’t had the time to spend figuring out how to actually colorize them. All the guys that pull off full colorizing on machines impress the hell out of me! I got so far as to make IronMan a different Color on the attract sequence and that’s it.

#128 2 years ago

I was mistaken, I think he was just wanting to know what game I had so he could configure it to the SAM setting. I hooked it up but it doesn't have any colors mapped. I am still working on getting some recordings off it. Then need to learn how to use the editor. Good luck with yours.

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Indeed better, although it's hard to judge picture quality from this distance for the animated scenes.
You mention a Python script, would you mind to elaborate? Interested into how you use Python to automate colorization.
Regards

as lucky mentioned, the interpolation mechanism is currently being integrated into the latest version of the editor. The mechanism exploits optical flow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_flow) between key-frames, that are colored by hand. Frames between key-frames are automatically colored by propagating color-information from neighbouring key-frames using the optical-flow vectors. The script uses the optical-flow library of openCV (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCV). I will clean-up the script and then provide a link....
c.

#130 2 years ago

btw, installing Pin2DMD into my spider-man was not straight forward for me. I had originally the red LED-display installed. Stern uses an intermediate resistor board glued to the socket to adjust the signals for their then new led panel (see picture below). I had to remove that small board before hooking up the Pin2DMD.

20210113_171049 (resized).jpg20210113_171049 (resized).jpg
#131 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

as lucky mentioned, the interpolation mechanism is currently being integrated into the latest version of the editor. The mechanism exploits optical flow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_flow) between key-frames, that are colored by hand. Frames between key-frames are automatically colored by propagating color-information from neighbouring key-frames using the optical-flow vectors. The script uses the optical-flow library of openCV (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCV). I will clean-up the script and then provide a link....
c.

Ah cool, using optical flow is indeed a nice idea (yes I'm familiar with it).

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

c.

Is this close to ready? So excited to hear the editor coming along. One artist is adding backgrounds to keyframes but i thknk its very time consuming as rach frame in the animation needs to be added. Will this help?

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from J-H-K:

btw, installing Pin2DMD into my spider-man was not straight forward for me. I had originally the red LED-display installed. Stern uses an intermediate resistor board glued to the socket to adjust the signals for their then new led panel (see picture below). I had to remove that small board before hooking up the Pin2DMD.[quoted image]

Funny, looks like resistor in series, very likely to adjust input level to something lower than 5V... I would have thought they would have used at least a clean level shifter. Can't be bus termination, as it would need to be closer to the input.

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Is this close to ready?

integrated in the latest beta on google drive

#135 2 years ago

I finally had a chance to try the PIN2DMD module in a SEGA Independence Day machine. It was really cool to see it working! The original DMD has one row at the bottom and two columns a the the end out. With the PIN2DMD installed it all looked good. Installed the colorization for ID4 and it definitely seemed like it was working but it seemed that I wasn't getting all the colors that were in this video:

The current Firmware on my display isn't up to date. If I update that should I be able to get the rest of the colors?

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If I update that should I be able to get the rest of the colors?

Why don´t you just try it instead of asking ? You definitely should be able to get all the colors if everthing is set up like in the video. I would try latest firmware with latest colorization from NetzZwerg.

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Why don´t you just try it instead of asking ? You definitely should be able to get all the colors if everthing is set up like in the video. I would try latest firmware with latest colorization from NetzZwerg.

Because I often see posts where people try something that didn’t work then get slammed for not asking a simple question first.

Hoped that someone would be able to confirm that in order to display all the colors in a colorization you need to run the latest firmware of x,x version and above. That’s all. I’ll try to get the firmware updated on the display.

I believe I have the latest colorization for ID4 and even without all the colors it was really cool to see it working in the game.

#138 2 years ago

I have to say the firmware update on the PIN2DMD has got to be the easiest and cleanest update I've ever done! The display was at 3.17 and now it is running 4.10 Will try it in the game to see how it looks now.

#139 2 years ago

I may have missed a step somewhere or maybe I have an older colorization for ID4. My panel boots to version 4.10 now and I still see colorized versions of the display but it looks like the Palette is only using about 4 colors. Would that just be in the colorization PAL file or are there some of the settings I need to alter in the panel itself? I'm going to search to see if I can find a newer colorization for the game in the meantime.

#140 2 years ago

It looks like I was using the wrong colorization file and had the one for the virtual pins. Going to get the correct colorization and expect that will resolve the remaining issue.

#141 2 years ago

Make sure to rename the files pin2dmd.* then load to your card

#142 2 years ago

All set and working well now! What a cool project and really happy with the end result. Just need to pull out the original DMD and get this mounted to finish it up.

1 month later
#143 2 years ago

64 color last action hero project.

Watch for 2nd multiball at 4:20, intro as well a lot of grrat improvements.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

64 color last action hero project.
Watch for 2nd multiball at 4:20, intro as well a lot of grrat improvements.

Looks really good. But skill shot can be better if you will use colorMask Layered.

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Looks really good. But skill shot can be better if you will use colorMask Layered.

Ah yes i cant tske credit for the work, dtatane is the artist!

He spent a lot of time on the skill shot, there are some things that mske it tricky... the result had issues because of the variables that the skill shot had.

The artist also does not have a real machine to test on.

If you dont mind explaining colormask layered mode, it would help the project!!

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4297-last-action-hero-colorization/page/11/

1 month later
#146 2 years ago

Bumping this as i edited a bit of dtantae for nicer output in the multiball and other modes playing with 64 color output.

Let me nnowyour thoughts!!

Added over 3 years ago:

Latest

1 month later
#147 2 years ago

Pretty dead in here but the lah project is going to show off 64 color pin2dmd power!!!

#148 2 years ago

That looks nice! Makes me want to have another go at learning how to use the editor properly!

#149 2 years ago

That looks sweet! If I ever get that shambles of a LAH, I should never have bought, back together, I will definitely be putting that in it!

#150 2 years ago

Freddy needs a color dmd for sure. Would love to have one for mine, lots of great animations on there

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

16,500 (Firm)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects/page/3?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.