toomanyquestionmarks.gif
shootupkicker.gif
Scene_Palette (resized).png
1506278991207-1225851891 (resized).jpg
15062788121261145101925 (resized).jpg
insert coins.gif
IMG_0842.GIF
IMG_0790.GIF

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago

Also, I realize that I am using Pinball Browser, which is not really part of the PIN2DMD project, and want to thank you for helping me understand the how to make best use of the software. One thing I do want to emphasize is that I had no problems getting my PIN2DMD up and running, and displaying dots in my pin. Easy to find the parts, assemble, and get going. Once installed in my XM, it was easy to configure the PIN2DMD to have a nice blue palette, which complements the game very nicely.

#52 6 years ago

Thanks ! There are marked posts in the pinball browser thread which answer most of the questions
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
If I need to copy something in pb I do it in the macro editor.

#53 6 years ago

Is anyone colorizing Batman Forever? I just picked one up and thinking of ordering an XL and doing the color but not uf someone is already working on it.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

Is anyone colorizing Batman Forever? I just picked one up and thinking of ordering an XL and doing the color but not uf someone is already working on it.

Something like these?!
To be honest... I'm far from complete, need a machine to test in detail and actually have really lot's of stuff to do...

BUT: I LOVE THIS GAME and as soon as I have organised some really important things and actual orders i will continue on this beast!

shootupkicker.gifshootupkicker.gif

toomanyquestionmarks.giftoomanyquestionmarks.gif

riddlerscene2.gifriddlerscene2.gif

batwing.gifbatwing.gif

1 week later
#55 6 years ago

Super Mario Bros completed (Still will be adding some additional keyframes for question block scenes, but all in due time)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros

#56 6 years ago

Ok been reading a bit on the pin2dmd and want to give it a shot. I’ve searched around but can only find the kits or complete assembled (which I prefer) displays on European sites any sellers in the US?

Don

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

Ok been reading a bit on the pin2dmd and want to give it a shot. I’ve searched around but can only find the kits or complete assembled (which I prefer) displays on European sites any sellers in the US?
Don

go to the pin2dmd forums on vpuniverse.com. There you will find what you seek!

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

Don

ecurtz makes them

4 weeks later
#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

Don

Quoted from rubberducks:

ecurtz makes them

I was curious and asked him about this, but it's wrong: see his response below.

I don't sell any hardware that's compatible with the Pin2DMD software. All the software and the board layout files for the earlier Teensy based thing I did is available on my GitHub account: https://github.com/ecurtz/RGB_DMD

Please note that it does not have the palette swapping features that Pin2DMD supports because I'm in the USA and it might violate the ColorDMD patent.

2 months later
#62 6 years ago

I will be happy to send on my Tee'd Off colorization project to anyone that would like to help with getting it done and uploadable.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#64 6 years ago

I am having an issue with my Pin2DMD. I have my original SD card and it seems to work perfectly. I have a second SD card and the game boots fine and displays as it should for several minutes. Then, at some point during a 5 ball game, the screen flashes and states that it is not licensed. I can continue game play, but doesn't really matter since the display is frozen with Pin2DMD logo and serial number. Cycling power fixes the issue temporarily, but as I get into another game the same result occurs. All I have on both SD cards is the license file. Any ideas on why this might be occurring, or what additional information is required to diagnose?

#65 6 years ago

Which firmware version ?
USB attached ?
Does the number differ from the original key?
What SD card size ?

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Which firmware version ?
USB attached ?
Does the number differ from the original key?
What SD card size ?

I will have to get answers to all the questions, but I can tell you that it is not USB attached (installed in real pin with 12V power & DMD data ribbon), and the SD Card size that is failing is 8GB. I did just update the firmware before installing permanently in my pin around 2 weeks ago based upon your recommendation, but I don't remember exact version.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I will have to get answers to all the questions, but I can tell you that it is not USB attached (installed in real pin with 12V power & DMD data ribbon), and the SD Card size that is failing is 8GB. I did just update the firmware before installing permanently in my pin around 2 weeks ago based upon your recommendation, but I don't remember exact version.

Maybe the problem is coming from the sector size the card is formatted with. There are some limitations in the FATFS code I use
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html Try to format with 512byte sector size.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Maybe the problem is coming from the sector size the card is formatted with. There are some limitations in the FATFS code I use
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html Try to format with 512byte sector size.

I will give that a try and report back.

2 years later
#69 3 years ago

Good morning,

Pinball browser colorization methods has a severe limitation with regards to rom size, I get loads of memory errors when trying to apply some of the macros (in this case for Star Trek).

This leads me to the following question: is there a fundamental reason why PIN2DMD cannot fully support Stern SAM using the traditional PIN2DMD colorization technique ? Is this completely impossible, or is this a SW development resource limitation ?

ColorDMD seems to be capable of supporting this without any change to the ROM, so I would assume PIN2DMD should be able to ? Unless there is a patent constraint ?

Regards

#70 3 years ago

AFAIK Dynmaic framing/triggering doesnt work for Stern SAM. So any frame with a number that can change cannot be done with the current editor. I am going through the same thing with my Xmen.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

AFAIK Dynmaic framing/triggering doesnt work for Stern SAM. So any frame with a number that can change cannot be done with the current editor. I am going through the same thing with my Xmen.

Yes, I was aware of that limitation. I'm just wondering if there is a technical roadblock, or if this down to purely development ressource constraint. I would think an implementation of PIN2DMD regular DMD structures (in .FSQ and .PAL) would not have any limitation related to rom size (plus would be more easy to transfer around).

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Yes, I was aware of that limitation. I'm just wondering if there is a technical roadblock, or if this down to purely development ressource constraint. I would think an implementation of PIN2DMD regular DMD structures (in .FSQ and .PAL) would not have any limitation related to rom size (plus would be more easy to transfer around).

Due to the current limitation to 16 color palettes of pin2dmd you can´t fully use colormask mode with all 16 shades. You would need at least 32 or more colors. However is should work with simple score screens .For other dynamic scenes replace masked mode could be helpful https://pin2dmd.com/chapter-10-replace-masked-mode/. We are constantly working on the code, to improve performance and memory usage. Maybe something will be added in the future to overcome this limit.

2 weeks later
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

History with firmware version 4.0 I just released as beta together with a new version of the editor which supports 64 colors per frame.
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4609-pin2dmd-colorprism-v40-firmware/

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

History with firmware version 4.0 I just released as beta together with a new version of the editor which supports 64 colors per frame.

If the firmware is upgraded is a new license needed or will it just use any that was there prior? Looks like a nice update!

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If the firmware is upgraded is a new license needed or will it just use any that was there prior? Looks like a nice update!

Same license

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

This upgrade makes it even more sad that I sold my Teed Off.

1 week later
#77 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I won't pretend that I understood fully the limitations you outlined regarding Stern SAM support, but... Does this new version imply that it's actually now possible?

Regards

#78 3 years ago

Hello, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for help but I’m hoping lucky1 can help me out. Recently installed a display in my Iron Man. Running Windows 10 pro with an i5 and 8gb on my laptop and I’m having issues capturing recordings from my DMD. Click on the create dump file box and let the game cycle through the attract mode and all I end up with is a 21kb txt file. I have to compress it to a .gz for the editor to open it and all it has is 4 single frames from through the whole attract mode animations.
Please help. Or point me to where to look for help.
TIA!!

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I won't pretend that I understood fully the limitations you outlined regarding Stern SAM support, but... Does this new version imply that it's actually now possible?
Regards

Yes

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

Hello, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for help but I’m hoping lucky1 can help me out. Recently installed a display in my Iron Man. Running Windows 10 pro with an i5 and 8gb on my laptop and I’m having issues capturing recordings from my DMD. Click on the create dump file box and let the game cycle through the attract mode and all I end up with is a 21kb txt file. I have to compress it to a .gz for the editor to open it and all it has is 4 single frames from through the whole attract mode animations.
Please help. Or point me to where to look for help.
TIA!!

It would help if you would provide a download link of the file

#81 3 years ago

Here is a link to the .txt file that was generated. This is all I got from the time I clicked the "create dump file" box and let the machine run through the entire attract mode sequence. Then I clicked off the Dump file check box. Please let me know what you think might be going on. In case it matters, I am running the 64 bit version of pin2dmd.exe as well as the editor. I also just reinstalled the latest 64 bit version of java. Key file is in the same directory as the pin2dmd.exe file. Not sure if you need any more information than that.
Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avm1b61kxmww78v/160121_055526_pin2dmd_dump.txt?dl=0

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

Here is a link to the .txt file that was generated. This is all I got from the time I clicked the "create dump file" box and let the machine run through the entire attract mode sequence. Then I clicked off the Dump file check box. Please let me know what you think might be going on. In case it matters, I am running the 64 bit version of pin2dmd.exe as well as the editor. I also just reinstalled the latest 64 bit version of java. Key file is in the same directory as the pin2dmd.exe file. Not sure if you need any more information than that.
Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/avm1b61kxmww78v/160121_055526_pin2dmd_dump.txt?dl=0

Java is only needed for the editor. So that is not the problem.
The good thing is there is no error in the dump file bad thing is that there are only 4 frames in this dump.
Could be a USB communication problem / defective USB cable. Can you change the settings of the device from pin2dmd.exe ?
You could try the latest beta version pin2dmd.exe and firmware if you want.
Since you are trying to colorize a SAM machine it is better anyway since it supports 64 colors per frame and Colormask colorization
for those machines.

#83 3 years ago

So I am using the 64 Color beta version. I was for this dump anyway. I was using the 16 Color version and had the same result. That’s when I thought I’d try the new version. I can change display setting from the software while connected so I feel the connection is okay. I’ll see if I can locate a different cable and try that. I have tried all USB ports on my laptop with the same results so the cable is really the only variable left.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

So I am using the 64 Color beta version. I was for this dump anyway. I was using the 16 Color version and had the same result. That’s when I thought I’d try the new version. I can change display setting from the software while connected so I feel the connection is okay. I’ll see if I can locate a different cable and try that. I have tried all USB ports on my laptop with the same results so the cable is really the only variable left.

The 4.02 version of the firmware and tool I uploaded yesterday ? One other thing you can do is changing the winusb driver version installed in your win10 using the zadig tool, which is also on my github.

#85 3 years ago

I just tested the 4.02 version and did not have a problem to get all frames with the Win64 version. However the Windows version added another carriage return character (CR) to the end of the line which confused the editor. I just uploaded a fixed version to github.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I just tested the 4.02 version and did not have a problem to get all frames with the Win64 version. However the Windows version added another carriage return character (CR) to the end of the line which confused the editor. I just uploaded a fixed version to github.

I will try both of these things tonight and see how it goes. Changing the cable didn’t change anything for me. Hopefully it’s the USB driver.
Again, thanks for all the help!

#87 3 years ago

Well I'm not sure why it works, but it works! I updated firmware to 4.02, updated to the beta software update, tried each of the available USB drivers using Zadig, and I kept getting the same results... the dump file was only 21kb after a full attract mode cycle. Kept trying different combinations of software versions and USB drivers, restored factory settings on the display and rebooted the laptop a few times and now it works! Captured my first full attract mode sequence. Now the real fun starts!
Thank you for all the help. Now wish me luck!

1 week later
#88 3 years ago

Pirates of the Caribbean is finished for pin2dmd. This is not a rom patching colorization - this is fully colorized game via pin2dmd editor. Who need files for real pinball - send me messages. Working on v4.02 or later.

#89 3 years ago

Congratulation, if I'm not mistaken this is the first SAM game colorized using PIN2DMD updated tool and firmware, am I right ?

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Congratulation, if I'm not mistaken this is the first SAM game colorized using PIN2DMD updated tool and firmware, am I right ?

This colorization works on standard firmware without any rom patching actions. And as i know it's first sam game colorized via pin2dmd editor.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

This colorization works on standard firmware without any rom patching actions. And as i know it's first sam game colorized via pin2dmd editor.

Exactly my point

Pretty cool, I'm glad I did not spend time on learning Pinball Browser... And oga83 should really really really allow to export DMD frames now, since if I understand correctly, with your method there is no rom size limit (as there is with PB method) ?

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Pirates of the Caribbean is finished for pin2dmd. This is not a rom patching colorization - this is fully colorized game via pin2dmd editor. Who need files for real pinball - send me messages. Working on v4.02 or later.

Amazing work.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Exactly my point
Pretty cool, I'm glad I did not spend time on learning Pinball Browser... And oga83 should really really really allow to export DMD frames now, since if I understand correctly, with your method there is no rom size limit (as there is with PB method) ?

This files load on sd card on device, you don’t need do anything else, it’s not touch firmware on sam cpu

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

This files load on sd card on device, you don’t need do anything else, it’s not touch firmware on sam cpu

Lovely. Time to issue another PIN2DMD build for my SAM games

What's next ? May I suggest Star Trek Pro/Premium/LE (OK, I admit, I have one)
And maybe Tron (although I actually wonder if this makes sense for this one)

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

+1 for Tron

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I am pass with ST. i have colordmd on this game - very difficult to colorize. Sometimes colordmd not works propertly. I think to colorize IM but also too hand, because it contains scenes from movies. Maybe WPT or Family guy in future

#97 3 years ago

There was a Star Trek colorization done using Pinball Browser, I could never use the macro system to apply it to my premium rom, kept throwing out errors. I wish there was an easy way to convert that colorization to pin2dmd

The Walking Dead maybe?
Thinking of it, Tron would be nice, I'm sure there something to be done

#99 3 years ago

i dont have walking dead or tron... i am only making colorizing for that games which i have in my collection

1 week later
#100 3 years ago

Anybody working on colourizing Iron Man? I picked up a Pin2DMD about a month ago never worked with this stuff before and man oh man am I finding the colouring process tough. I’m trying but it’s going to take me a LONG time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.