• 25 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by lucky1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 20 days ago

This very well may be my game - but I’m experiencing issues with the display. The Pin2DMD only shows the startup screen. When I turn the game off, it gives me a quick flash of the display version.

If I missed a ribbon connector by one pin, would that cause permanent damage? What is causing this issue? It was working before, and cycling through attract mode no problem.

#2 20 days ago

one of the LEDs on the PIN2DMD board will flash when the PIN2DMD is recieving data from the pinball machine. Do you know which version of PIN2DMD board you have? there is a method to test if the input (from the pinball machine) is good see https://pin2dmd.com/ at item 3.

#3 20 days ago

Based on the other post about the similar issue, try setting your PIN2DMD to default and saving and then back to Data East mode. or just check the setting for Enhancer in the PIN2DMD menu, it should be ON.

#4 14 days ago

Any updates? Same problem is happening on my Jurassic Park. I have reset to default and changed back to Data East with no change. Any thing else to try?

#5 14 days ago
Quoted from action76:

Any updates? Same problem is happening on my Jurassic Park. I have reset to default and changed back to Data East with no change. Any thing else to try?

I discovered an MPU issue, board is most likely junk. Sorry for not posting back.

#6 14 days ago

No problem, thanks for the response. So I guess your problem is different than mine then? Your machine is not working at all? Mine works fine with the original plasma DMD but not with the PIN2DMD.

#7 14 days ago

Did you build it yourself ? Did you run the input test as described here https://pin2dmd.com/#3

#8 14 days ago

No. I got it from Dan Pannell. It is an EVO board model. I have not done the input test. I was a little confused about it. So this is not a test to run while hooked to the DMD controller board to see if it is receiving signals but just to test if the PIN2DMD itself is wired correctly by jumping the pins together?

#9 14 days ago

I did the input test on the panel. I'm not sure what results I'm supposed to get but I got pins closed on 1,3,5,7,11, and 13. When I put the jumper on 9 it still said all pins open. Is this a bad connection? Is this something I can fix if it is?

#10 14 days ago
Quoted from action76:

I did the input test on the panel. I'm not sure what results I'm supposed to get but I got pins closed on 1,3,5,7,11, and 13. When I put the jumper on 9 it still said all pins open. Is this a bad connection? Is this something I can fix if it is?

You have got the expected result: pin 9 is not used.

from the PIN2DMD site:
It displays which of the input pins 1,3,5,7,11 (and 13 for Nucleo and EVO boards) is connected to ground.

#11 14 days ago

action76, one of the LEDs on the PIN2DMD board will flash when the PIN2DMD is recieving data from the pinball machine. do you see a flashing LED when the PIN2DMD is connected to the Pinball machine ribbon cable?

#12 14 days ago

You might also try if Whitestar mode works.

#13 14 days ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

do you see a flashing LED when the PIN2DMD is connected to the Pinball machine ribbon cable?

I can't say for 100% but I am pretty sure that the red LED is solid and not blinking.

Quoted from lucky1:

You might also try if Whitestar mode works.

I have tried it in Whitestar mode with the same result. I have also tried the DMD in a DE Star Wars and a Williams Getaway. It behaved the same way in all machines (stays on logo screen).

#14 14 days ago

That is strange ! Are you sure you connected the ribbon cable with the correct orientation ?
Please post some pictures of your setup where we can see both ends of the ribbon cable connected and a picture of the logo screen.
Maybe we can see then what the problem is. What firmware version are you running ?

#15 13 days ago

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1asP8Xr_UCf8QaKzWCVEWU1KrI7m_awsb?usp=sharing

Here are the pictures.

I have tried the cable both ways just to test. I upgraded it to version 3.13 when I got it and then downgraded to 3.09 to try another since it wasn't working. It had no change in behavior.

#16 13 days ago
Quoted from action76:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1asP8Xr_UCf8QaKzWCVEWU1KrI7m_awsb?usp=sharing
Here are the pictures.
I have tried the cable both ways just to test. I upgraded it to version 3.13 when I got it and then downgraded to 3.09 to try another since it wasn't working. It had no change in behavior.

I recommend getting in contact with dpannel then, that he can test it and maybe replace it.

#17 13 days ago

I had this issue a few years ago when this was still running a Discovery board and custom adapter. I had to enable the signal enhancer jumper, remove a chip, and bridge 2 more connectors. That was initially though, seems multiple peoples' displays are now dying?

#18 13 days ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I recommend getting in contact with dpannel then, that he can test it and maybe replace it.

Thanks for your help. I am shipping it out to him today. He is taking care of it.

Thanks everyone!

#19 13 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

I had this issue a few years ago when this was still running a Discovery board and custom adapter. I had to enable the signal enhancer jumper, remove a chip, and bridge 2 more connectors. That was initially though, seems multiple peoples' displays are now dying?

You can´t compare the EVO with the DIY design you used. If you had to remove the LS123 und bridge the signals on your board you most likely did something wrong in the area of that circuit. To avoid that I designed the EVO boards which come fully assembled from the manufacturer. I suspect a cold solder joint on the board of action76 and Dan will fix it for sure. Such problems are far below 1%. So everything in the normal range.

#20 12 days ago

Ive built ~10 of the DIY ones(some of them very early) and none of them have had any issues.

#21 8 days ago
Quoted from action76:

Thanks for your help. I am shipping it out to him today. He is taking care of it.
Thanks everyone!

Just receive the message that Dan could fix the problem. A capacitor was bridged due to bad soldering from chinese manufacturer.

#22 6 days ago

Yes, you beat me to posting it lol. Dan found that C35 was bridged and corrected the issue and I am awaiting the return package in the mail. I'm so glad he was able to find the issue and fix it. Thank you to everyone for the help and especially to Dan who has been great and very helpful. He is definitely an asset to the pinball community!

#23 6 days ago
Quoted from action76:

Yes, you beat me to posting it lol. Dan found that C35 was bridged and corrected the issue and I am awaiting the return package in the mail.

Are these not tested before being sent to customers?

#24 6 days ago

I test all of mine - does the controller and display work, I would never have thought the inputs could be broken in this way. It wouldn't be too hard to make up a little test box that plugs into the ribbon cable plug and test the inputs using the built in test mode.

#25 6 days ago

Of course they are tested but there still remains a residual risk which can be compensated by a good service.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Boards
PinSound
$ 23.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 275.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside