By Ashram56

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I would usually post this on VPUniverse where PIN2DMD discussions are hosted, but since it has been down for a few days...

I'm trying to make sense of the various colorization options for a DMD, and there seems to be vastly different approach between Pin2DMD Editor and PB

From what I understand:

- Using Pinball Browser: PB dumps all DMD frames from the rom file, you can colorize them individually, this will generate a smartdmd.txt file which you can then use to create a pin2dmd.pal file that you put on an SD card in Pin2DMD, BUT you need to reflash your ROM. It also does not work for older machines (prior to SAM).
    - Using Pin2DMD Editor: you can only edit DMD frames which you have previously manually dumped (simulated gameplay using a vpin, or equivalent), in the end you get a project file which you can use to generate a pin2dmd.pal and a pin2dmd.fsq file. Using this solution there is no need to reflash the ROM, and it works on older machines

So first, is my understanding correct ?

If so, one could wonder why PB does not allow to export all DMD frames as Pin2DMD method seems more flexible to me. Granted PB has this "side channel" option, but it requires an additional cable, but since it only works with SAM from what I understand

Anyway, I just wanted to check if my assumptions are correct

Thanks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-editor-vs-pinball-browser-colorization-method?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.