Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

803D8A13-A35B-4317-A9FA-C6AB1C0F32B8 (resized).jpeg
img_0612.jpg
IMG_1407.JPG
Ersteinrichtung PIN2DMD.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 5 years ago

Can someone please help me in the right direction?
I've bought a PIN2DMD display from German Gaming Supplies, but it came without any documentation.

I want to put this display in my Junk Yard machine.
Can I connect the display to the Power Driver board or do I need an external power supply?

Peter

#2 5 years ago

Hi Peter,

i always use a external power supply (5v).
It's cheap and doesn't overload the boards.
Search @ www.Flippermarkt.de for pin2dmd - there you'll find alot helpfull stuff.

#3 5 years ago

Hi Peter, I have gone through this pain aswell.
Depending on the revision, the process is slightly different. Even for a german native it is difficult to go through, but basically the whole process is described on the suppliers website. There are several things that need to be done in order to get it running.

Most of it is described here:
http://pin2dmd.com/installation/

You also need to donate to some charity to receive a license key, install that.
https://germangamingsupplies.com/Anleitungen-PIN2DMD#aktivierung

all in all it'S a bitch and definitely everything BUT plug and play. take your time and read through it all and go step by step - at the end it will work. flippermarkt.de is a great adress, but pin2dmd.de

Expect to sepnd about 5 hours including all the little detours you will take...
MAybe you can upload a photo of your connection wires, and i can help you with where to grab the power. i have that super small power supply screwed to the bezel. it can be supplied off on of the pin headers.

#4 5 years ago

Does anyone have an idea how much current the board uses/needs?
Found it.... 5V-5A

I also found this pdf file:

Though I do understand German reasonably, I would like to have this in English.
Does anyone know where to find it?

Ersteinrichtung PIN2DMD.pdfErsteinrichtung PIN2DMD.pdf

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Can someone please help me in the right direction?
I've bought a PIN2DMD display from German Gaming Supplies, but it came without any documentation.
I want to put this display in my Junk Yard machine.
Can I connect the display to the Power Driver board or do I need an external power supply?
Peter

You connect to power driver board (5V but you can also connect to a 12V source to ensure enough power is fed to the display which will convert to 5V). I installed mine a few months back, and I connected to J117 (Pin 2 +12V = red wire & Pin 3 Ground = black wire).

IMG_1407.JPGIMG_1407.JPG

#6 5 years ago

FYI, here is what my PIN2DMD looks like from back.

img_0612.jpgimg_0612.jpg

#7 5 years ago

I would advise against connecting the Discovery board to the game's 5v power supply. I connected mine to the dedicated 5v supply that came with the kit. Just took a barrel connector and stripped the wires to screw them into the same terminals that feed the display panels themselves.

Fair warning, not to discourage your endeavors but this product is of poor quality and not likely to work out of the box due to sloppy design. I really hope it does, but if it turns on and gets stuck at the PIN2DMD splash screen that's a very common issue. The designer does NOT test these boards before shipping and will be of limited, if any, help if you attempt to contact him for support.

See if you can get it assembled and connected first and we will try our best to get it running smoothly.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Though I do understand German reasonably, I would like to have this in English.
Does anyone know where to find it?

My link points to the English version of that.

My kit looks the same as yours, I did connect it to the headers as shown in the posts below yours. It works perfectly fine. No need for a dedicated psu.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

My kit looks the same as yours, I did connect it to the headers as shown in the posts below yours. It works perfectly fine. No need for a dedicated psu.

Looking at this again there isn't a dedicated power supply that has the screw terminals in the current kit. Evidently it was updated since I bought mine.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I connected mine as was suggested to me by the manufacturer. Just to clarify, I connected red to the 12V pin, not the 5V. My board has been nothing but perfection since I received it. I had it for months outside of my pin testing with a dedicated power supply, and now installed in the pin the way I illustrated for several months. Not saying that others don't have a negative experience, but mine has been purely positive.

Also, if you board is newer, it may be of different design. If that is the case, then my instruction may not apply.

#11 5 years ago

I had two. One had a power supply and one looked just like the one in photographed in this thread. That on I connected to the headers and all is well.

Mr_Tantrum Are you using color with it? Is there a video of you colored pin2dmd in action somewhere? I decided to not engage into that initially and use the red only. Really like it, but wondering what colored will look like if done well. And since you did everything extremely well, yours would be the perfect one to see

#12 5 years ago

I've connected the display via an external power supply capable of 12V - 4A.
It was coming on intermitently...
Turns out the small power converter board was not soldered on it's 4 corner points.
Soldered those 4 points and now it's steady going on and staying on.

Next I noticed the display would not do anything other than displaying the various colored squares and the text "PIN2DMD Virtual Pinball".
After 3 minutes the serial number came on and switched between "not activated" and the number.
Wrote down the serial number and made a donation as per instructions.
I've got the activation key some time later.

Now I needed to connect the display to a laptop to activate it.
As soon as I connected the display via the mini usb cable, it turned on.
So no special power supply needed I guess...
I'll see if I can connect the display to J140.

If only I could make to computer communicate with the display to activate it.
My laptop has Windows 10 and is having a hard time finding it.
I even tried to install the special usb driver program, but no succes jet.
I will again try today.
The weather is good, so maybe I'm lucky....

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I've connected the display via an external power supply capable of 12V - 4A.
It was coming on intermitently...
Turns out the small power converter board was not soldered on it's 4 corner points.
Soldered those 4 points and now it's steady going on and staying on.
Next I noticed the display would not do anything other than displaying the various colored squares and the text "PIN2DMD Virtual Pinball".
After 3 minutes the serial number came on and switched between "not activated" and the number.
Wrote down the serial number and made a donation as per instructions.
I've got the activation key some time later.
Now I needed to connect the display to a laptop to activate it.
As soon as I connected the display via the mini usb cable, it turned on.
So no special power supply needed I guess...
I'll see if I can connect the display to J140.
If only I could make to computer communicate with the display to activate it.
My laptop has Windows 10 and is having a hard time finding it.
I even tried to install the special usb driver program, but no succes jet.
I will again try today.
The weather is good, so maybe I'm lucky....

Peter

Make your life more simple and enjoy the sun today. All info you are looking for is seen at http://pin2dmd.com/installation/

I always mount a SD card.

#14 5 years ago

big watch out for is that there are 2 SUB pets on the controller board one is for loading the firmware and the other is for making settings adjustments. I can't remember which one you use to activate the panel license.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

big watch out for is that there are 2 SUB pets on the controller board one is for loading the firmware and the other is for making settings adjustments. I can't remember which one you use to activate the panel license.

The micro USB. The mini USB is kust for flashing new firmware

#16 5 years ago

I never got the USB connection to work at all. Just put the key file on a micro SD card. When it boots up it will activate and store the key in onboard memory and stay activated. When you saw nothing but the PIN2DMD logo and colored squares, it should have been showing the game's DMD image. I anticipated this issue and unfortunately it will require hacking the shield board to get it to work.

Is there a "signal enhancer" jumper on the board anywhere?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I had two. One had a power supply and one looked just like the one in photographed in this thread. That on I connected to the headers and all is well.
mr_tantrum Are you using color with it? Is there a video of you colored pin2dmd in action somewhere? I decided to not engage into that initially and use the red only. Really like it, but wondering what colored will look like if done well. And since you did everything extremely well, yours would be the perfect one to see

Still working on colorization. I run mine in re about 50% brightness right now.

#18 5 years ago

I've got it to work! YEAHHH

I tried the SD card and I think it got the key from there.
I never could communicate with the display other then updating the firmware for the STM32F4.
After the update I used the SD card.
I don't know how or what I've done.
Suddenly I noticed the display didn't show the serialnumber.
Hoping it would have succeded I tried it in the Junk Yard.

Still no go....
Then I found out how to use the menu and configured the display to use Bally/Williams settings.
After saving the config it rebooted and everything is working.
I'll mess with the colors later.

Peter

#19 5 years ago

Ah, I recall it was configured for Bally/Williams by default but I guess that has changed.

#20 5 years ago

Okay guys, here is what you need to know about the connections & buttons on the back of the DMD board:

- When plugging into PC use micro-usb to communicate with pin2dmd software
- For power when installed on pin, I've been informed for the German Gaming Systems version to use a 12V power supply connected to the 12V leads coming from the back of the DMD assembly to power the system (just like it was connected to the pinball machine). Do not plug a 12V adaptor directly into the board as I believe this may only be a 5V connector.
- Can do the same as above plus connect DMD ribbon cable to pinball machine when testing prior to permanent installation
- To manually adjust settings on board (e.g. single color and brightness) you can do the following:
1) Power board on
2) While holding the blue user button down, press and release the black reset button (continue holding down blue button) DMD will reset then you will see "CONFIG MENU" displayed on bottom of DMD. You may now release the blue button
3) Push Menu button to cycle through menu options
a) Device Mode
b) Color Palette
c) Brightness
d) Enhancer (I don't know what this does)
e) Save Config
f) Exit
4) While on a given menu, press the option button to cycle through the options. When you arrive to the option you want, press the menu button to accept that option
5) To save your settings, press menu button until you see Save Config then press option button (you will see "saved" and the DMD will reboot)

2 years later
#21 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Hi Peter,
i always use a external power supply (5v).
It's cheap and doesn't overload the boards.
Search @ www.Flippermarkt.de for pin2dmd - there you'll find alot helpfull stuff.

Hi,
I up this thread as I have similar issue for my Baywatch
1rst issue, dmd is reading « open the coin door » when I power up the game.
2nd issue, dmd is pin2dmd and ended to freeze during the game.
I think the 2 problems are linked and in relation with the 5v
The dmd is powered from CN6. I removed this installation and would like to take 5v from a power supply.
How do I plug it in the power box of the game? My guess is to take between the switch and the filter, black and white wires. Correct?
Thanks
803D8A13-A35B-4317-A9FA-C6AB1C0F32B8 (resized).jpeg803D8A13-A35B-4317-A9FA-C6AB1C0F32B8 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-connection-help-needed?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.