(Topic ID: 199853)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... World Cup 94!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Redrum1986
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot (15) (resized).png
Bicycle kick.gif
finale sequence.gif
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-24 at 14.28.36 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-21 at 12.42.30 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpg
IMG_0532 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1580710583670 (resized).jpg
val1 (resized).jpg
val3 (resized).jpg
val2 (resized).jpg
NewIntro.gif
kick camera.gif
Final Draw.gif
replay.gif
replay.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Malenko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I started working on this last week ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152888.msg1631168.html#msg1631168 )
but forgot to start a thread. Doesn't look like there's a ton of scenes so this shouldn't take super long (jinx)

This will be my 6th colorization since may (Street Fighter II , Terminator 2, Godzilla, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon 3) , and the plan is to get this one and one more done before 2018 starts

TVAward2Goalie.gifTVAward2Goalie.gif

#6 6 years ago

welp there seems to be a lot of random fireworks, so Im gonna talk with Lucky and Steve about a way to handle them, but I'll work on all the other stuff in the interim.

"Goal" is totally masked, so no matter what the score is, it'll transition correctly.

title.giftitle.gif

shoot again.gifshoot again.gif

GOAL.gifGOAL.gif

#8 6 years ago

Welp theres gonna be some changes, Rappelbox had a good idea for goal, and shoot again is getting the colors adjusted.

EDIT: added changed animations. Shoot again was a little too close to T2, so I changed the letter colors to blue. Goal has been converted to a more "patriotic" Red, white, and blue scheme.

GOAL.gifGOAL.gif

shoot again.gifshoot again.gif

Bally.gifBally.gif

#10 6 years ago

Im always up for suggestions and feed back, doesnt mean I'll do it but I'll listen!

I do have a finite number of palettes, I can change the letters to teal if I can use the same colors on other scenes and what not.

#19 6 years ago

Welp, the crowd is brown because Im cheating for colors for "Striker". Hes in the stadium a LOT. More GIFs soon, I worked Teal in, trying to use more purple too.

#20 6 years ago

I could make the crowd greyscale or change colors based on the scene. I thought the brown looked pretty good to be honest, and it cut the work load in half.

extraball.gifextraball.gif
replay.gifreplay.gif

That teal ok?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

When striker is in front of the crowd the brown looks a little odd. not sure what other color to make the crowd though...

So much for half the work......
replay.gifreplay.gif

Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh it'll be a problem. The fireworks are a complex issue.

No doubt, but I have work around for quite a few of them. Some, however, are going to be a massive pain in the dick.

#28 6 years ago

Give me an RGB value and I'll make the adjustment. RRGGBB or hex will both work.

#30 6 years ago

I dont know if I'll do it for the rest of the already done scenes, but it was easy enough for that one, its just a TON of frames. Worth it to you?

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Coloring games is work? [tiny violin]

This is the 6th one this year so far Recoloring isn't bad at all, redrawing everything for Street Fighter II was work.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Agreed on the use of teal and purple to complement the game.
Also, you seem to be the only one with a grasp on the Pin2DMD editor. Any chance at a vidtorial on its use (esp the new version)? I think there are several of us who want to assist in coloring games but can't make quick work of the editor.

Im pretty bad at teaching stuff, the best way to figure out the tools is just download any source files of the games I colored and poke around (except SFII, its not a good learning example). I might write up a tutorial but it'll be pretty basic until you guys flood me with questions :p

The editor , when masking, is basically just an electronic coloring book. Don't over think it!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Now that ColorDMD announces WCS (sigh, how convenient), beg, borrow and steal away

Quoted from epthegeek:

WCS has been underway for a looong time. The fireworks turned out to be a complicated problem so things stalled. Was set to debut at Expo a while before Malenko ever mentioned working on it.

Im pretty sure they've been working on it a while, I thought it was funny that I thought the last set of clues was WCS94 but ultimately it wasnt. And now they announce it afterwards lol. I said in the ColorDMD thread the same thing I'll say here. I am excited to see how it turned out and what color choices they made. Ive only been working on the game (off and on) for about a week and I doubt they could get the whole thing done that fast. I dont care who did what first or what system you prefer I just like seeing colored dots.

I dont like the color choices for Godzilla, but I underdstand it. The grey more closely matches the terrible movie with Matthew Broderick, I went with cartoon green for a bigger visual pop. Luckily if you like their grey (or hate my green) you can DL my files and change the Godzilla palettes to whatever you want.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Well the terrible movie *IS* the theme for the game you're putting the display into, after all.

Agreed, that's why I said I understood the color choice. But the backglass still has Godzilla dark green not grey :cheers:

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

If I have an existing PinDMD on another game, what's the best way to get a new key?

To move the pin2dmd from 1 game to another you just change the pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq files on the SD card and move it over. You only have the "unlock" the firmware once.

#55 6 years ago

You guys dont mind if I put an update with a new GIF right?

Final Draw.gifFinal Draw.gif

#60 6 years ago

gotta finish this first and go from there.

2 weeks later
#62 6 years ago

havent had a ton of time to work on this, but Im still chipping away.

1 month later
#65 6 years ago

Super slow. I do the coloring in my spare time and I've been "hitting the books hard" with trying jump from Sr. System Admin/Engineer to Cyber security (got my Sec+ already)

I want to get back to this but I'm more concerned with my career

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Well you spoiled me with constant updates then nothing . Take your time, I can wait.

Wanna be my beta tester? I'll send you a link to the files, you have to tell me what doesn't work (which will be a lot). You might also have to supply some recordings. You down?

Quoted from emkay:

I am in the same boat, need to be prepared to change paths in the next half-dozen or so years and "cyber security" is the hot landing spot these days. I may have to buy you a beer and hear your story one of these days... do you do any of the area tourneys or leagues?

I dont drink, but you can buy me a coke
My story is boring and sucks. Worked the assembly line at Chrylser for like a decade, when the plant closed I followed my love of computers. Started at Comcast, worked for some MSPs, now Im a sr admin. Ive pretty much hit the ceiling of what I can make doing this, so Im moving on to security. Im going to get a few secuirty certs then change jerbs. But I'll be applying what I learn where I work now. I do plan to make the jump some time next year though.

2 weeks later
#70 6 years ago

Didnt see this reply :/ Started working on stuff again I can PM you a link to the files if you'd like.

kick camera.gifkick camera.gif

1 week later
#72 6 years ago

So good news and bad news.
Good News :I quit trying to just mask everything, so Im going to have a much bigger palette on all the frames.....
Bad News: I have to redo pretty much everything.....
Good News: No more "peanut butter" crowd...
Bad News: Im 1% done again lololol

I can reuse a fair amount of frames that have already been done, but I have to pull all new recordings and everything.

NewIntro.gifNewIntro.gif

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Whilst you're at it, can you turn fake Snoopy into dot-Valderrama?

wut?

Quoted from Syco54645:

What are you using to power this? I may install it today.

I dont have a WCS94, but in T2 I tapped the 12V line, and in SF2 I have a power supply, but that'll get converted to a line tap too

#77 6 years ago

I have had ZERO issues.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Fake Snoopy is the unloved dog character associated with WC '94, and on the DMD and translite of WCS.
Carlos Valderrama was like an unofficial mascot, due to his incredibly recognisable appearance. He was the the captain of the Colombian team, and had a massive blond afro style perm.

If you would have said "replace Striker with Carlos Valderrama" I would have known what you meant and it woulda been faster to say no :p

I might alter a sequence and sneak Valderrama in, but I dont know how well I can draw him at such a low resolution

2 weeks later
#86 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Anyone else get a color glitch in the World Cup Finals? Mine went horizontal half purple, half yellow for about 10 sec then corrected itslef.

Couldnt be for pin2dmd I havent released anything. You have a colorDMD?

Quoted from Brijam:

malenko if you still need a beta tester I just installed pin2dmd in my WCS and I'm happy to help, or otherwise pay for a copy of whatever you've got right now. I've got lots of experience submitting bug reports.

Yeah I'll release the files for public beta soon. I pretty much started over so not much is done, but having someone with an actual machine would be a HUGE help.

1 month later
#94 6 years ago

Im going to pass my current files over to Lucky to look over. Some scenes are colored, but need triggered better. I dont have an actual pin to test on and Im afraid a bunch of shit doesnt work.

2 weeks later
#98 6 years ago

I'll throw what little I have done up when I get home. I started a new job with more demanding work and hours, so almost all of my free time got gobbled up at the expense now being able to afford a better life

I'll still chip away at this, a scene or two at a time, but I'm hoping with the source files up someone else will want to take up the mantle.

1 year later
#101 4 years ago

literally in the post before yours

Its very incomplete but better than nothing!

#104 4 years ago

I thought you just needed a license to export real pin files? You can still work on it and save changes until its activated.

#106 4 years ago

I misread. I don't plan on touching the files any time soon , its already been like a year other than 1 small update I did back in May.

1 month later
#110 4 years ago

neat, thanks for posting that. The source files are still on my gdrive so have at it!

2 months later
#152 4 years ago

PAL files are different between real and vpin exports. That's why I always have a separate folder for each

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Boards
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Malenko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-world-cup-94?tu=Malenko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.