(Topic ID: 199853)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... World Cup 94!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by Redrum1986
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot (15) (resized).png
Bicycle kick.gif
finale sequence.gif
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-24 at 14.28.36 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-21 at 12.42.30 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpg
IMG_0532 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1580710583670 (resized).jpg
val1 (resized).jpg
val3 (resized).jpg
val2 (resized).jpg
NewIntro.gif
kick camera.gif
Final Draw.gif
replay.gif
replay.gif

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

I started working on this last week ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152888.msg1631168.html#msg1631168 )
but forgot to start a thread. Doesn't look like there's a ton of scenes so this shouldn't take super long (jinx)

This will be my 6th colorization since may (Street Fighter II , Terminator 2, Godzilla, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon 3) , and the plan is to get this one and one more done before 2018 starts

TVAward2Goalie.gifTVAward2Goalie.gif

#2 6 years ago

YES! Will be following this!

#3 6 years ago

Pretty fancy!

#4 6 years ago

I was a bit sad I was going to have to sell my SF2 after just getting the color in. This takes the sting out of it.

#5 6 years ago

Awesome!

#6 6 years ago

welp there seems to be a lot of random fireworks, so Im gonna talk with Lucky and Steve about a way to handle them, but I'll work on all the other stuff in the interim.

"Goal" is totally masked, so no matter what the score is, it'll transition correctly.

title.giftitle.gif

shoot again.gifshoot again.gif

GOAL.gifGOAL.gif

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

welp there seems to be a lot of random fireworks, so Im gonna talk with Lucky and Steve about a way to handle them, but I'll work on all the other stuff in the interim.
"Goal" is totally masked, so no matter what the score is, it'll transition correctly.

That looks very good so far. Eagerly awaiting this!

#8 6 years ago

Welp theres gonna be some changes, Rappelbox had a good idea for goal, and shoot again is getting the colors adjusted.

EDIT: added changed animations. Shoot again was a little too close to T2, so I changed the letter colors to blue. Goal has been converted to a more "patriotic" Red, white, and blue scheme.

GOAL.gifGOAL.gif

shoot again.gifshoot again.gif

Bally.gifBally.gif

#9 6 years ago

If you are taking suggestions wonder if the blue should be the teal from the rest of the game.

#10 6 years ago

Im always up for suggestions and feed back, doesnt mean I'll do it but I'll listen!

I do have a finite number of palettes, I can change the letters to teal if I can use the same colors on other scenes and what not.

#11 6 years ago

The other main colour is purple, not sure how that might fit into the palette

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Im always up for suggestions and feed back, doesnt mean I'll do it but I'll listen!
I do have a finite number of palettes, I can change the letters to teal if I can use the same colors on other scenes and what not.

Well color scheme of the game is teel and purple. Not sure how to incorporate that however.

#13 6 years ago

The crowd is covered in peanut butter.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I don't know about peanut butter but definitely something brown...

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I actually liked that

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I actually liked that

WELL TRY LIVING WITH A PEANUT ALLERGY YOUR WHOLE LIFE. IM IN HELL

#17 6 years ago

Agreed on the use of teal and purple to complement the game.

Also, you seem to be the only one with a grasp on the Pin2DMD editor. Any chance at a vidtorial on its use (esp the new version)? I think there are several of us who want to assist in coloring games but can't make quick work of the editor.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Also, you seem to be the only one with a grasp on the Pin2DMD editor. Any chance at a vidtorial on its use (esp the new version)? I think there are several of us who want to assist in coloring games but can't make quick work of the editor.

As you know I found the editor terribly clunky and existing explanations/tutorials did not help at all. It always seemed to be the classic defining a word with itself issue... After 15+ hours of trying to colorize the bookcase in TAF I gave up.

#19 6 years ago

Welp, the crowd is brown because Im cheating for colors for "Striker". Hes in the stadium a LOT. More GIFs soon, I worked Teal in, trying to use more purple too.

#20 6 years ago

I could make the crowd greyscale or change colors based on the scene. I thought the brown looked pretty good to be honest, and it cut the work load in half.

extraball.gifextraball.gif
replay.gifreplay.gif

That teal ok?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Welp, the crowd is brown because Im cheating for colors for "Striker". Hes in the stadium a LOT. More GIFs soon, I worked Teal in, trying to use more purple too.

I assumed it was a work around/limitation with the pin2dmd system.

#22 6 years ago

Fireworks are looking pretty good. Heard those might be a problem somewhere!

#23 6 years ago

When striker is in front of the crowd the brown looks a little odd. not sure what other color to make the crowd though...

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Fireworks are looking pretty good. Heard those might be a problem somewhere!

Oh it'll be a problem. The fireworks are a complex issue.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

When striker is in front of the crowd the brown looks a little odd. not sure what other color to make the crowd though...

So much for half the work......
replay.gifreplay.gif

Quoted from epthegeek:

No doubt, but I have work around for quite a few of them. Some, however, are going to be a massive pain in the dick.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Hahahaha, I was wondering if you'd see that.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I could make the crowd greyscale or change colors based on the scene. I thought the brown looked pretty good to be honest, and it cut the work load in half.

That teal ok?

I'll let others comment. Does anyone else thing this looks cyan (light blue) vs. teal? I'm looking at my WCS, or even photos of it here to do a side-by-side, I see a "greener" hue.

#28 6 years ago

Give me an RGB value and I'll make the adjustment. RRGGBB or hex will both work.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So much for half the work......

You did not have to change it. Perhaps brown is the best way to go. Maybe as you work on the project you will find a color or idea that you like better.

#30 6 years ago

I dont know if I'll do it for the rest of the already done scenes, but it was easy enough for that one, its just a TON of frames. Worth it to you?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I dont know if I'll do it for the rest of the already done scenes, but it was easy enough for that one, its just a TON of frames. Worth it to you?

Coloring games is work? [tiny violin]

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Give me an RGB value and I'll make the adjustment. RRGGBB or hex will both work.

With a max value of 255... I think we're somewhere in the ballpark of 70, 230, 220 for RGB. I wish the pantones were known. That would make grabbing the teal and purple easy.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Coloring games is work? [tiny violin]

This is the 6th one this year so far Recoloring isn't bad at all, redrawing everything for Street Fighter II was work.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

This is the 6th one this year so far Recoloring isn't bad at all, redrawing everything for Street Fighter II was work.

You’re talking to the wrong guy to whine about volume

The replaced graphics in street fighter really made it great though. Totally worth the effort. The stock dots are terrible.

#35 6 years ago

Im pretty bad at teaching stuff, the best way to figure out the tools is just download any source files of the games I colored and poke around (except SFII, its not a good learning example). I might write up a tutorial but it'll be pretty basic until you guys flood me with questions :p

The editor , when masking, is basically just an electronic coloring book. Don't over think it!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

not really. i will be happy with anything that i get.

#37 6 years ago

I wish the pantones were known.

Surely somebody in the club has a PMS swatch book... That actually seems like one of those lists many folks would appreciate being compiled. Now I'm wondering if I have one tucked away somewhere, haven't needed it in twenty years.

#38 6 years ago

Now that ColorDMD announces WCS (sigh, how convenient), beg, borrow and steal away

#39 6 years ago

Now that ColorDMD announces WCS (sigh, how convenient), beg, borrow and steal away

WCS has been underway for a looong time. The fireworks turned out to be a complicated problem so things stalled. Was set to debut at Expo a while before Malenko ever mentioned working on it.

#40 6 years ago

Quoted from epthegeek:

WCS has been underway for a looong time. The fireworks turned out to be a complicated problem so things stalled. Was set to debut at Expo a while before Malenko ever mentioned working on it.

Im pretty sure they've been working on it a while, I thought it was funny that I thought the last set of clues was WCS94 but ultimately it wasnt. And now they announce it afterwards lol. I said in the ColorDMD thread the same thing I'll say here. I am excited to see how it turned out and what color choices they made. Ive only been working on the game (off and on) for about a week and I doubt they could get the whole thing done that fast. I dont care who did what first or what system you prefer I just like seeing colored dots.

I dont like the color choices for Godzilla, but I underdstand it. The grey more closely matches the terrible movie with Matthew Broderick, I went with cartoon green for a bigger visual pop. Luckily if you like their grey (or hate my green) you can DL my files and change the Godzilla palettes to whatever you want.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Those darn fireworks! Appreciate the background info. I was merely being tongue-in-cheek. The more the merrier. Anything is better than orange dots

#42 6 years ago

You're doing some excellent work Malenko

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I dont like the color choices for Godzilla, but I underdstand it. The grey more closely matches the terrible movie with Matthew Broderick,

Well the terrible movie *IS* the theme for the game you're putting the display into, after all.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Well the terrible movie *IS* the theme for the game you're putting the display into, after all.

Agreed, that's why I said I understood the color choice. But the backglass still has Godzilla dark green not grey :cheers:

#45 6 years ago

Godzilla should be green, I don't care what color he is in any reboot movie.

#46 6 years ago

I thought this thread was about World Cup Soccer and people covered in peanut butter?

#47 6 years ago

The brown crowd is actually an accurate representation of many World Cup soccer crowds.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The brown crowd is actually an accurate representation of many World Cup soccer crowds.

and the fact that US didnt qualify for the next world cup. brown all over

Malenko rocks! keep up the great work!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

and the fact that US didnt qualify for the next world cup. brown all over
Malenko rocks! keep up the great work!

Yup, true dat.

#50 6 years ago

If I have an existing PinDMD on another game, what's the best way to get a new key?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ann Arbor, MI
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-world-cup-94 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.