IMG_2013 (resized).JPG
IMG_2015 (resized).JPG
loop-reveal2.gif
motoloop.gif
jackpot.gif
extraball.gif
kickbackCLR.gif
jackpot value.gif

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Original thread below

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9cWp45XToh2N2l3bHRuN0pjZVU

New download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Logz-tz-1Y_7M5S1M37oGH1x-_kerrbb

Donation link (OPTIONAL!!!!!)
http://www.paypal.me/Malenk0

Hey kids!

Malenko here again starting another Pin2DMD colorization. I figured I'd do another WIP thread to keep me motivated to actually finish it.
Ive been color masking a ton of stuff, no need or desire to redraw everything like I did with SF2 , the animations in T2 are actually *REALLY* good.

I cant even list all the stuff left to do, but I will attach some animations for things that are done. These may be redone and toughed up more later but for now, here goes:

jackpot HK shot:
HKShot.gifHKShot.gif
(this might take a second to load, if it flickers, click it and watch it again)

hitting the HK:
HKExplode.gifHKExplode.gif

T800 from the attract sequence:
lightning.giflightning.gif

Other things done, with palette swaps and color masks:

Williams logo, Presented by, Grand Champion/High Score, Shoot Again words (not elevator animation), Load the Gun, Shoot for Jackpot
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

and of course, Colorized by Malenko :p
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

To note, I know this is going to draw comparisons to ColorDMD's T2 release by Taxman . He did an AMAZING job and I'm just hoping this release can be 1/2 as good as his. Different tools, different systems, different results. His will be better especially since I have no idea how to do the video mode

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
title.giftitle.gif

#2 6 years ago

Excited to see your great work again, well done!

#3 6 years ago

Hi Malenko,

This looks amazing, will this be available for use of ColorDMD once completed?

Could you also post a link to your SF2 customisations?

Regards,
Scott

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi Malenko,
This looks amazing, will this be available for use of ColorDMD once completed?
Could you also post a link to your SF2 customisations?
Regards,
Scott

No, this has nothing to do with ColorDMD. There is already a version colored for ColorDMD both the LED and LCD versions. The ROM for ColorDMD is out on their support page at http://www.colordmd.com/ and works with the COlorDMD hardware.

#5 6 years ago

Awesome work! Will this also work on the virtual DMD option (by Freezy)??

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Awesome work! Will this also work on the virtual DMD option (by Freezy)??

... if Freezy updates his driver DLL !

#7 6 years ago

Im Back!
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

List format of what is done so far:
Pull the Trigger
Pull Trigger.gifPull Trigger.gif
Williams logo in Red
Presents in Red
replay in red
T2 title animation (in sections)
Test Screen
GrandChampion
grandchampion.gifgrandchampion.gif
Top Marksmen
top marksmen.giftop marksmen.gif

(these are dynamic and will keep their color no matter what the name or score)

Shoot again words (not the elevator scene yet)
Load the Gun Sequence
Shoot for Jackpot Sequence
HunterKiller crosshair animation
HunterKiller explosion (I will probably take the time to draw the HK stuff by hand)
T800 with lightning Bolt in attract mode
Los Angeles July 11, 2029 text
"Color by Malenko" replacing the say no to drugs screen
Free Play / Push Start (will change my machine to coins and capture that too)
Arnie holding the shotgun (not firing, yet)
Score Reset Scene
Credits / Special Thanks

#8 6 years ago

In for updates.

#9 6 years ago

Motorcycle sequence took like 9 hours so far :
motoloop.gifmotoloop.gif
I still have to sequence the "reveal" frames (that shows the bonus)
colors are subject to change. I might drop the daytime sky in favor of night, darken the colors, then use the freed up colors for better shading.

But the pew pew is done!
terminator.gifterminator.gif

I just think this is tits:
tissue.giftissue.gif
simple color mask, took 3 seconds.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Motorcycle sequence took like 9 hours so far :

I still have to sequence the "reveal" frames (that shows the bonus)
colors are subject to change. I might drop the daytime sky in favor of night, darken the colors, then use the freed up colors for better shading.
But the pew pew is done!

I just think this is tits:

simple color mask, took 3 seconds.

Looking great Malenko! For reference, here is the T2 promo video where the "800 series model 101 sequence:initiated" text comes from:

If you wanted it to be accurate you could do it in green text, otherwise I think it looks fine as-is too.

#11 6 years ago

Great work!

If I may suggest a little detail which annoyed me personally on the other color solution:
Could you please add a blue position light to the killer ship

I also started working on it but have to take a break since I'm in hospital until Tuesday...

Greetings,
Dom

IMG_0790.GIFIMG_0790.GIF

IMG_0797.GIFIMG_0797.GIF

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If you wanted it to be accurate you could do it in green text, otherwise I think it looks fine as-is too.

I'll change it to green, it'll break up all the red. :facebook thumbs up:

Rappelbox Im taking a break till wednesday, I should have waited longer to start this lol.

#13 6 years ago

greens done :p

I know its all green in the video, but I think the white breaks it up a bit. I'll be doing the credits in the same green but leaving the special thanks in red. Working on other stuffs now.

greentissue.gifgreentissue.gif

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Could you please add a blue position light to the killer ship

Maybe!

"Door Reveal" is done , its a color mask so it works for all the "reveals"
ie check point, passcode, silent alarm, etc
door-reveal.gifdoor-reveal.gif

I colored this scene , from the one I *think* matches the movie
bigArnieColor.gifbigArnieColor.gif
I also stole Rappelbox 's red eye idea, only made it a single dot instead of 4. Colors are consistent with the shotgun animations.
M79.jpgM79.jpg
^Arnie firing the M79 in the steel mill

Other things done:
Bonus Held (its light blue for now)
2x 4x 6x 8x
Get the CPU (orange)
Extra Ball!
extraball.gifextraball.gif
PAYPACK TIME! announce
Paybacktime Mode
Payback time results
Database Select
Kickback/Autofire
kickbackCLR.gifkickbackCLR.gif
video mode (it just switches to "terminator vision" aka a red palette heh)
you win / you lose after video mode with dynamic bonus
number of kills and bonus after video mode (blue)
jackpot Grows (yellow)
Jackpot Values (dynamic!)
jackpot value.gifjackpot value.gif
changed the motorcycle loop to night time
5 Million
X target for Multiball
Multiball
Hurry Up
Go
Run
Jackpot Multiplied
Ball Locked
Shoot for 1X/2X/3X jackpot
jackpot!
jackpot static plate
jackpot spinning plate
jackpot.gifjackpot.gif
super jackpot announce
super jackpot animation
50 million
explosion after super jackpot

I know i need to do the loop result (dynamic score) and the T1000 getting shot in the elevator , anyone else know what I may have missed so far?

#15 6 years ago

It looks great, great job.

#16 6 years ago

release should be tomorrow, all thats left is the match game after the game over, I just need to capture it and color mask it.
motoloop.gifmotoloop.gif
into:
loop-reveal2.gifloop-reveal2.gif
(its masked so all the values will be red)

#17 6 years ago

Nice work. I can't believe how quickly you completed this?!?!

#18 6 years ago

so I looked into pin2dmd and was overwhelmed by the piecing together of parts required. does someone have a cheat sheet or a dumbed down version?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

so I looked into pin2dmd and was overwhelmed by the piecing together of parts required. does someone have a cheat sheet or a dumbed down version?

I wanted to do it as cheap as possible and in the end I built 3 of them for $130 each including a tinted front sheet.

I bought:

Panels off aliexpress. They come with wiring too which is cool. Make sure they are 1:16 scan RGB(some are like GRB or something). You need 2 of them that are 80x160mm p2.5.

Stm32 discovery board with Pin2dmd shield from uncle sash. I contacted him through vpuniverse forums and Facebook but I think he's on pinside too.

12-5v 5a voltage regular off eBay for like $3. Hook to pinball 12v power, I used the same pinball connection point as colordmd uses.

I designed and 3d printed my own frame but I think you can get that from uncle sash too.

That's really all you need. feel free to contact me if you have questions. Best thing is to join the vpuniverse forums where there is a specific pin2dmd forum.

IMG_2015 (resized).JPGIMG_2015 (resized).JPG
IMG_2013 (resized).JPGIMG_2013 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I wanted to do it as cheap as possible and in the end I built 3 of them for $130 each including a tinted front sheet.
I bought:
Panels off aliexpress. They come with wiring too which is cool. Make sure they are 1:16 scan RGB(some are like GRB or something). You need 2 of them that are 80x160mm p2.5.
Stm32 discovery board with Pin2dmd shield from uncle sash. I contacted him through vpuniverse forums and Facebook but I think he's on pinside too.
12-5v 5a voltage regular off eBay for like $3. Hook to pinball 12v power, I used the same pinball connection point as colordmd uses.
I designed and 3d printed my own frame but I think you can get that from uncle sash too.
That's really all you need. feel free to contact me if you have questions. Best thing is to join the vpuniverse forums where there is a specific pin2dmd forum.

You seem like the Penny Wise - Pound Foolish guy who would probably try to build their own MM.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Go to my pinside shop, add it to your basket, done.

Or contact me here to participate in the group buy.
There's no need to tinker if you don't want to!

Dom

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You seem like the Penny Wise - Pound Foolish guy who would probably try to build their own MM.

14 screws and 4 cable connections... is hardly equivalent to building your own MM. Heck that's easier than maintaining your own pin

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

14 screws and 4 cable connections... is hardly equivalent to building your own MM. Heck that's easier than maintaining your own pin

It's an inside joke. Taxman is a buddy of mine I think.

#24 6 years ago

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 6 years ago

Fantastic work, congrats! You should do Ghostbusters next

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Fantastic work, congrats! You should do Ghostbusters next

No, Indiana Jones WMS

#27 6 years ago

(1) Is it just me or does this version look better than the "other" one?

(2) How and where can I buy a complete "plug-n-play" set?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

(1) Is it just me or does this version looks better than the "other" one?
(2) How and where can I buy a complete "plug-n-play" set?

(1)Better is subjective. I like certain things Taxman did better than what I did, like the glowing red for load the gun, and his video mode is SIGNIFICANTLY better than mine. I'm very proud of how mine turned out, but it doesnt take away from how amazing his turned out.

(2) You can order a ready-made one from Rappelbox if you dont want to build your own.

#29 6 years ago

awesome work dude!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Go to my pinside shop, add it to your basket, done.
Or contact me here to participate in the group buy.
There's no need to tinker if you don't want to!
Dom

Quoted from Malenko:

(2) You can order a ready-made one from rappelbox if you dont want to build your own.

"MARKET PLACE ADS
Rappelbox has no ads on the Pinside Market place at this time."

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

(1)Better is subjective. I like certain things taxman did better than what I did, like the glowing red for load the gun, and his video mode is SIGNIFICANTLY better than mine. I'm very proud of how mine turned out, but it doesnt take away from how amazing his turned out.

OK, I didn't want to name it, but I was talking about colordmd?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

"MARKET PLACE ADS
Rappelbox has no ads on the Pinside Market place at this time."

but in my pinside shop

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

but in my pinside shop

Ah ok, now I see it!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

OK, I didn't want to name it, but I was talking about colordmd?

Taxman is the artist that colored the colordmd version.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Taxman is the artist that colored the colordmd version.

Yeah and the guy did an outstanding job.

So as far as I know, Im done!
google drive link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9cWp45XToh2N2l3bHRuN0pjZVU

That's the source files, captures, GIFs, and the files for either a Vpin or a real pin. These werent as heavily tested as SFII so feel free to submit bugs!

As always donations are appreciate but 100% OPTIONAL!
http://www.paypal.me/Malenk0

match.gifmatch.gif

#36 6 years ago

To remove "color by Malenko" and restore the "say no to drugs" screen, delete the "Color by Malenko keyframe"
Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Nice work. I can't believe how quickly you completed this?!?!

Yeah this was all color masks, no redraws like I did with SF2. Its done close to how ColorDMD does it(as far as I can tell), where you section off areas like pieces of colored glass, and then the original dots shine through. Takes a lot less time but thankfully T2 didnt need redraws.

I didnt expect to power through it that quickly but T2 does a great job of reusing animations in a way that makes sense. If you do them once, you dont have to do them again. I'm sure if there was a way to do video mode it would have taken a TON more time.

I put the files up, free to download for everyone , so people can see how this stuff works, and can make any changes they dont like. Everyone has different tastes and preferences and what better way to customize your game that tweaking the DMD to your liking. Thats the other reason I let you how to remove the "colorized by Malenko" screen. I could see how some people wouldn't want it, but I think its neat to have on MY machine.

Im hoping Randy gets back to me soon, Im kind of excited to try and do a colorization for his ColorDMD platform, I went out and bought the machine Im supposed to color on Friday. I cant give any hints, sorry.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Im hoping Randy gets back to me soon, Im kind of excited to try and do a colorization for his ColorDMD platform, I went out and bought the machine Im supposed to color on Friday. I cant give any hints, sorry.

I'm disappointed to hear this... I was really hoping you would be doing games on Pin2dmd in the future. Anyway, great job with T2 and I will certainly be able to learn by your contributions. Hoping to play around with your files today and maybe soon start working on MM. I'm hoping to change some graphics on MM slightly too in my project. Thank you for your contribution!!

#39 6 years ago

Just because I do one for him doesn't mean I can do more pin2dmd later. Any game I color for colorDMD I won't color for pin2dmd though.

#40 6 years ago

Good to hear. Thank you again for the effort on this!!!!

I actually have a T2 that I was thinking about selling but now I'm definitely gonna keep it!!!

#41 6 years ago

cant edit my post for some reason, but I meant "Just because I do one for him doesn't mean I can't do more pin2dmd later"

EDIT:

Also, files updated, I had a hard link in the XML that make it error out unless you had the files in D:\Pin2DMD\T2 That has been fixed. There was also an issue with the blue color swap for "Millions" triggering too frequently. Download link is the same.

EDIT 2:
There is a work in progress BETA folder (you'll have to do your own export) for fixing the key frames. Im squashing the bugs as best I can but I called in lucky1 for some help.

3 weeks later
#42 6 years ago

I just saw in the SFII thread that some guys got together and did a group buy - it's way too late to get in on it. Would anyone be interested in that over here in the T2 world?

#43 6 years ago

I just tried it but on my real T2 pinball but not all animations are working.
For example during game play - when there is no speicial animation - I only see the attached Screen, score doesnt'change and it's always Ball1 - also on the 3rd ball .
Some animations work others not - for example HKShot, I can see the huntership but not the fire at will crosshair.

I only copied the 2 files pin2dmd.fsq and the pin2dmd.pal to my SD Card - I left all other existing files on the Card.
Is there any dependency to the Rom Version - I have L8 installed.

Any ideas what I can try?

Thx Stefan

IMG_2853 (resized).JPGIMG_2853 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago

I'm still working on key frame fixes, with SF2 it was always the second checksum, with T2 sometimes it's 1,2,3 or 4 so I'm going through and fixing them as I go. I'll be updating the beta folder tonight. If you can tell me which ones work and what doesnt, that'd be a huge help.

#45 6 years ago

Ok, I check that and post it in the next hour....

#46 6 years ago

Here are my results, hope it helps, If you need more testing feel free to ask, great work so far!
Stefan

Shoot again: looks good
T2 logos: not correct, only white
grandchamp: have seen it correct but mostly its white not red
Load the gun: not correct, its all white
shootforjackpot: in the 1st second of the animation there is a failure in the left bottom, than looks good
HK1: loogs good, after a few seconds there are some yellow dots on the bottom right (I think ist from HK2)
HK2: no haircross, nothing here
HK Explode: only white, no yellow explosion
T800-Bolt: looks good
Color by Malenko: looks good
pre-shotgun: cant say if its correct but shotgun1 looks good
shotgun1: looks good
T2 Part3: not correct, wrong colours
T2 Part4: looks good
credits: looks good
Top Marksmen: colour is always white
FreePlay:looks good
T2 Part5: not correct, only white (maybe a litte bit of blue)
LosAngeles: not correct, wrong collours
Score Reset: looks good, but as already mentioned I see that during game play as static screen, so score does not change
Pull Trigger: looks good
Motorcycle look: I'm not 100% sure, think its OK
shotgun2: looks good
Tissue: not green, only white
Extra Ball: not correct, wrong colours
Door Reveal: looks good
Big Arnie: only Arnie, no fire out of the gun
KickBack: not correct, wrong colours
Multiplier:looks good
PayBackTime: wrong colours
Database: only one moment green, than white
VideoMode: not green
youwin:looks good
jackpotvalue:looks good
Pyaback total:looks good
hurry up:looks good, the 30 looks more purple not blue
Multiball: can only see the balls in yellow and no word multi-ball
JackPot: looks good
JackPot2: looks good
nova explosion:looks good
elevator:looks good
Motorcycle loop 2: not 100% sure, think its OK
end credits: not correct, wrong colours (green)
Bonus Recap: looks good
Match Game: not correct, wrong colours

#47 6 years ago

That's a HUGE help. What ROM version do you have? I have the profanity ROM in my pin but I only think that'd possibly effect the database selection screen. I'll have a new file uploaded tomorrow in the BETA folder (I'll post here when its uploaded), It'd be great if you could update the file on your display help me squash these bugs.

EDIT: End credits are supposed to be green, was going to change the other name scroll to screen as well, to break up all the red.

#48 6 years ago

I have l8 ROM (normal) installed, sure, when you are ready i can test again. Can you give me a hint what you have to change within the keyframe? I have not played to much with the Editor at the moment.

#49 6 years ago

Direct link to Beta:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9cWp45XToh2OUlGdlNvNnF0Mms

Im going to start with the easier things to fix and make sure they are correct before I dig deeper into the trickier things.
in the format of "Animation Name: change made" , so if you can test these it'd be great.

GrandChampion: Adjusted the mask and added additional keyframe triggers.
HK Explode: Added an additional keyframe trigger
Score Reset: Deleted all the old stuff and redid from scratch
Hurry Up: Color was purple, changed words to red and timer to blue
DataBase: Changed from a color mask scene to a palette change
Top Marksmen : added additional keyframe triggers.
Multiball: New palette , new color mask, same keyframe trigger

Notes:
Video Mode should be in all red
Both Credit Scrolls should be in green except this one:
static.gifstatic.gif

Quoted from ypurchn:

I just saw in the SFII thread that some guys got together and did a group buy - it's way too late to get in on it. Would anyone be interested in that over here in the T2 world?

I have nothing to do with the hardware, I dont make it, I dont sell it, I dont get a cut of the sales msg Rappelbox and see about setting something up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 26.50
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 21.95
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Goodrich, MI
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-terminator-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.