(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by Lucxor
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Ghost Award.gif
Yoshi.gif
30000000 Million.gif
1000000 Million.gif
Shoot the Bumpers.gif
Run for cover Beginning.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucxor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 3 years ago

Hello

Just want to thank you Scotty for your hard work and that you also share all these files.
pretty amazing work.
Sadly or Lucky it seems that i have a diffrent rom and some parts doesn't work,
so i decided work on your filse.
Also for my first try an work with the editor i used ure files and make some changes.
just som little work around dont expect to much.
I will keep you updated.

Also workt a little on yoshi

Regards Luc

Castle.gifCastle.gif
Yoshi gif.gifYoshi gif.gif

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Nice! Looking fwd to the updates. What ROM version do you have? I know there are a lot of issues on the Virtual Pinball side of the house so was planning on addressing those sometime this coming year as well.
FYI for those of you running freezy 1.8 this SMB colorization and Malenko's SFII will be black and white for the most part. If you are running popper as your FE, I've put together a work around if you're interested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vS-zIpuHZlt2Eq_fd49OO5P2YCVTo0Bo/view?usp=sharing

So I could not check today, but I will.
Also was thinking it could be because I have it on German but did not think of that befor. Of course this will bring some problems with it.

A replacement scene and all hashes and frames to work together can be difficult. So your work is a perfekt help to see how you have done all that.

I have some ideas but actually I did not know if and how everything is working.
Also That's why I said do not expect to much from me.I am just a newbie. Do not know the limits of the software jet, but I'm willing to try

Of my knowledge so far I think this idea is possible and I will work on all 7 castles, that can be destroyers. Want to make all the diffrent animation for each castle, like in the game.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

If anyone is willing to take on the role of colorization on the Mushroom World version, I would be a buyer of another Pin 2 DMD as I can't stand looking at the orange DMD on that pin now either. scottyc did a fantastic job on the full sized one, so the bar is set pretty high!
Any takers?

If I would had one I would absolute be the person. But I searched. Sadly here you don't get it. I saw that someone was willing to sell one but the price was 8000 and it was about a year ago.

So wish you luck. Hope someone is wiling to help you.
or maybe you can try by your self?

#46 3 years ago

Hello Everyone

I finished castle 2 today and got the movments of Mario.
Did change the castle so it looks more like the orginal game.
Sadly Castle 2 has only about 50 frames and castle one had 75.
so i had tho shorten the sequenz a little.
Hoppfuly you like it.

Regards Luc

Castle 2.gifCastle 2.gif
#48 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I was playing my super Mario bros today and noticed that the video mode was all black. This along with a few other parts makes me think I’m not running the right roms that this was developed for. Could anyone who’s pin2dmd is working nicely, please tell me what roms you’re running? Or if anyone has had this happen I’d really like to hear what worked for you to fix it. Thanks!

Hello sixty

You can try to just reinstall the files to the card.
Mabe change de language on the system.
Or if you know, you just can delet the keframe for the video mode and take the new files to the SD card. So the video mode will be just white.

Best regards Luc

#49 3 years ago

so Finaly lot of work and lot of time needed but here it is Castle 3

Get mi inspiration from this video:

Castle 3.gifCastle 3.gif
#51 3 years ago

So Castle 4 is ready. Thanks to Sixty i know the the castles works like i expected. Thank you for that.
still some improvments to do.

Castle 4 castle.gifCastle 4 castle.gif
#55 3 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Was juuuust thinking on smb pin2dmd!

Be carfule where you buy it.
Read ratings befor you buy. I was scammed first time.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just installed one of these a few weeks ago so would love to put the updates in.

I be willing to share all these files to see all the smb pinballs shine in a new ligth,
but please be patient. Such a Seence took around 10-15 or more workhours to make. ( did not count it but its a lot of work)
Mabe there is a faster way but I did not work long with this Programm. I'm oppen for inputs ^^

#59 3 years ago

I just wanted to stop by and say that lucxor has been doing some incredible work so far with his castle destroyed scenes, and they look amazing on a pin2dmd display in person. Both him and scottyc deserve a huge thank-you for breathing new life into this pin for us. When it comes to color displays, Gottlieb games are often forgotten, so we are very lucky to not only have color display files created, but new animations added as well. Cheers to both of you guys!

Thanks for the Flowers
If a had not the files from scottyc i would not know if i had startet to work on the dmd.
his work has gave me a perfect prefrence and forced me to try it out. also that he share his hole work not only the files for the dmd.
thanks again for that. I think i will do the same if im finished, to see if some has some diffrent ideaars an works on that files too do something better out of it.

so enougth words here is Castle 5:
PS mabe has to shorten it a bit for better animation..

Castle 5 Gif.gifCastle 5 Gif.gif
#61 3 years ago

That's awesome! How are you getting these done so quickly? Have you just not slept the last week at all? lol. Great work on another castle animation buddy.

Haha kind of. just take all the free time i have to do these sceens. Its kinde of relaxing to do these and i also want to see how they look.
Castle 5 took me about 6 hours on monday and 6hours on tuesday.
lucky i have a wife wich cooks for me so i do not have to starv

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

I'm not the person to do it...but maybe someone on this thread will step up.

so if the mushroom world has also 7 Castles you could just adapt the scenes for this one.
also all other animation if they were similar.

#64 3 years ago

Here for you fresh finished Castle 6
after castle 7 is finished i will send those of you how are intrested, a updated file wit scottys project with all 7 new castles.
Iits only a test file so do keep your orginal ones.

Castle 6 gif.gifCastle 6 gif.gif
#68 3 years ago

so Castle 7 is already finished.
will test it today and then i would send the files to those ho are willing to test.

Castle 7 gif.gifCastle 7 gif.gif
#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Wow, great job! I was recently looking through ScottyC's project for this since I wanted to learn how to update / create some colorizations.
I was playing around with the Gottlieb logo a couple days ago.[quoted image]

Hey Warhead

If you like I could use some help in the colorization of the pin. 2 people are faster than one

#70 3 years ago

Here is the link for the test files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9i0finxf1l8pzav/AADCQECJYaM-YiAueH_EqKDga?dl=0

Please I do only have changed the castles.
If there is some other problems I am not working on them rigth now. If there is a problem with the castles let me know.
And of course if you like it you can also let me know

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Could you please also create the vpin export ?

Quoted from ScottyC:

+1 Would love to test these out, but alas I no longer have a real pin.

So should be updated with the vpin files. let me know if it works.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Seems to work okay. Awesome new castle scenes trigger, but do not run till the end.. Looks like there were some pallette changes, that affected a lot of stuff (attract, player 1 and 2, video mode..etc). Keep up the good work and get it fully running on a real pin and ill tackle the vpin side

Hey scotty

Thank you for the feedback. so the animation runs full on my real pin. I'm not in to vpin so appreciate your help on this site.
Yes had seems that my pallets were not hig enough and overwritten some of yours. Have to change this. Video mode was green always so don't know what it was ment to be.
Work on the yoshi at the moment. After that I will work on the video mode.

Best regards

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from DADDIO13:

Am I able to add this to my SMB? If so, what would I need to get for this to work. Thanks for all your hard work.

yes you are.
You need a Pin2dmd wich is activatet(activation key) and some tecnical knowledge how to install it. Or someone who can help you.
After that you just had to copy the files from the droppox to your SD Card and done.

I first ordered my pin2dmd on a German website, wich is scamming people so do not buy from them if you don't want to lose your money.
after that I was able to buy one from this guy
https://pin-display.ch/
Maybe you could buy one from someone wich do not need his pin2dmd any more.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

It's not a ColorDMD, but rather Pin2DMD which is separate hardware. At this time ColorDMD does not support this game. Pin2DMD is more of a DIY type experience...

Yes your rigth. sry for the misleading information. Thanks for correcting me.

Quoted from DADDIO13:

Thanks I just notice those for sale there and will probably get one.

Yes I got exactly one of those.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Tcharlie84:

hi guys,
before taking a question i want to thank you for the excellent hard work of the authors. everyone involved is incredible.
my question is that i added this colorization to my vpin and put freeze 1.7.1.
I have some colorful scenes, but most of it is just white and some Gifs scenes that I see in this topic are in single color.
I added some images to know if the colorization is correct.
please let me know what you think of this or something is wrong.
cheers
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for trying out and share your experience. Apriciate that.

So this could really be. I'm not into Vpin so I can not tell what is displayed.
I only implemented the castles in ScottyC's work.

I know there are problems but I do not investigate in that, because I will do a clean implement when I am finish. It would be timeconsuming to make a clean implementation everytime I finished a new coloring of a scene and I want to keep it at a minimum.

So this project needs a loot more work and this will take time.
I work on this but I can't tell you when I will be finished(maybe in a year).

I want to give you acsess to the new sceense so you can enjoy them but this is a work in progress file

If you got problem with the castles let me know.
Everything else, will be taken care in the future.

Regards Luc

1 month later
#94 3 years ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

Thank you.. so question to lucxor or scottyc : What ROM Version GPROM and DSPROM have you applied and is it working proper with that?
Thanks and regards!

i can check for you what version i have but do not know where to look.(try to look in the system settings in the evening)
the files are still work in progress so i think the most parts should work as expected. but still could bee that parts are not shown as expected.

So i Istalled the old DMD so i could get the info in the startup (see Picture). i do not know wich version it is but i believe its V1.

Screenshot_20210223_184250_com.huawei.himovie.overseas (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210223_184250_com.huawei.himovie.overseas (resized).jpg
2 months later
#100 2 years ago
Quoted from ish08kazuya:

So got a super mario bros machine recently and did the pin2dmd mod. Running on chipset 1CC4 Several questions.Lucxor did you incorporate scottys animations and background colors onto yours? Im getting many plain white screens.As for if anyone has issues with weird colors i had the same thing happen. I had to edit the rgb sequence by one in the settings to get the colors to look right. I tested on default settings multiple times and the colors were off. The castle animations work great. The animations will not work in tournament mode though from testing. I included some pictures of the strange colors i was getting and the colors after the rgp sequence fix. As updates roll out I am more than welcome to test for you guys. Thanks for all the hard work on this!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hello ish08kazuya

Sry for my late responde. i actualli was in Holiday.
I did not change any color in Scottys work, could be that it happend on one by mistake. but i did a lot of new colloring scenes to avoid getting such problems.
i think it migth happend in the video mode scene.
also i never did a dump in turnament mode so thats why it does not work. Also in diffrent Language the trigger from castels wouldn not work.
It would be good if the colloring and all the trigers and work would be done on a fresh project.

actuall im not have a lot of free time and also work on some mod of my new Jurassic park pinball.
So if someone wants the project files send me a pm.
Turbomensh is already taking a look on them rigth now.

11 months later
#103 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinScientist:

I found a SMB and Dino from VPUniverse is hooking me up with a Pin2DMD. I’ll happily test this out. Is there anyone currently working on this to iron out the bugs and “finalize” what’s been done so far?
Thank you ScottyC and Lucxor !!!
turbomensh — did you end up working on this further?
I might be interested in learning how to colorize this further.
[quoted image]

Hello Tlw7409

Congrats to your Mario
Nice to see a new enthusiast.
I am not sure if turbo Mensch has worked on the project any further.
If you want to start to work on that project I would recommend to check all YouTube tutorials wich are aviable. They startet to support 64 colors now so it is possible to make great coloring but it can also be very difficult also. Sadly my Mario is still in parts. I will be happy to send you all the files so you can see and try by your self.
I would recommend to first make some recordings with your pc and try to colorize them wit some YouTube tutorials to get a feeling. And take the work wich is already done to Lern or see how things were done.

Let me know and Send me a pm.
Luc

9 months later
#124 1 year ago
Castle 1.1.gifCastle 1.1.gif
#126 1 year ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Well I'm at a point where I'm not able to make much more progress without a real pin to test with. Having some issues with the way color masking is getting applied on real-pin2dmd vs virtual dmd.... So releasing this to the masses . (Lucxor might have some new castle destory updates as well he's working on, but these are not in the below shared project.)
Ripple has been a huge help in dealing with the back and forth of try this try that.. lol
Some things which were reverted because we could not get them working correctly
-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n11XZGoT_XKO8KUSRdLfO6pqttLGpm3?usp=sharing

Again thank you a lot for your work.
Its just great that you always share this.
You again inspired me to do a little rework on the castle scenes.
I now should also have a REV3 Mario.
The frame timing on the new Rom seems a lot better. And with the replace no retrigger on the Pin2dmd editor stuff is a lot easyier to color.
Can anyone with a REV3 Mario trying the files from ScottyC and tell me if the catsles work on your pin?

For you trying with V3 i also woul like to send a file with only the castle scenes to test if they work correct on your pin.
After that i been happy to give them Scotty to implement in his project.
And try some other things on the pin

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from Justin-Credible:

I just upgraded my machine to the rev 3 ROMs and tried the latest pin2dmd files that scottyC linked above. I have some comparison videos of it versus the original pin2dmd files that came on my machine linked below.
I do see the castle destroyed animations, but they are "stock" ones, not the Super Mario World / Lucxor ones. Not sure if that is intended or not. Here's the other things I noticed that were different/problematic:
- Super Mario World Yoshi graphic
- Yoshi graphic stays when castle destroyed animation plays
- Colorized, but stock, Castle Destroyed graphics
- Partially colored red/green text when selecting bonus rounds
- Slot machine is fully colorized, but very low FPS
- Background has shimmering and stuttering during the scrolling sequence during attract
- The Super Mario initials screen during attract has spots of yellow on the otherwise red initials
- High scores during attract are not colorized
- Fully colorized Gottlieb/Premier logo
Video comparisons:
- scottyC's version from post #125:
- The version that came with my cabinet:
I'm available for testing any other versions on the rev 3 romset, or any other romsets if needed. Thanks for your hard work!

Seem like i had the same kinde of problem. Castle destroy only show in original version.
I think i will have the castles ready over today.
I would like to see if these work on both of your machines (Ripple/Justin)

Would you test them for me? I then send you a pm with the test files.

I also found am error in the rom V3. I think if you are invincible and destroy the castle the castle is still activated untli you lose the ball or get it to the outlane.
Someone else regognized that?

#131 1 year ago

So here is a test file of Only the 7 Castles on ROM 3.
let me know if they work on your machines
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qzut5escw9pemq92ir2ge/h?dl=0&rlkey=l28ltl69dgv8mgo3ob7j9u2z0

#134 1 year ago
Extra-Ball.gifExtra-Ball.gif
#137 1 year ago

Okay, so with DMD firmware v4.40 with the rev 3 game ROM, the castle animations do not show.
I updated the DMD firmware to v4.46 and the castle animations are showing! They look great by the way.
I went back and tested scottyC's files from post #125 with v4.46 and I'm still seeing mostly the same issues that I listed in post #128; no custom castles and most of the issues I listed are still present.
I hope this helps!

You can try one more thing.
There is a setting on the pin2dmd wich can be changed to Gottlieb V1.
And then test scottyC s file.

I have tryied it. Sadly it did't fixed the castle scenes and haven't check the other things.
I have done my castles on Pin2dmd gottlieb V3.

If the castle test worked on your machine. thats good so its changeable.
Im not sure what makes some problems here as on Ripple machine the test castle work but seems to be to long.
I don't know why diffrent machines in the same state Pin2dmd v4.46 REV3 with Rom REV 3 seems to have diffrent frame delays.

#138 1 year ago
Raise shield.gifRaise shield.gif
#142 1 year ago
Quoted from Sky64:

I LOVE THIS Luxor Great work!!

a bit more details

Raise shield.gifRaise shield.gif
#143 1 year ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

is there any file with ScottyC new scenes (slot machine and so on) AND the castle files and so on from Lucxor (newest version to test on real Pin). Also tried colorization some scenes on my own but don’t get the logic how the Pin2DMD editor works..
I‘m running Pin2DMD v4.46 and SMB GPRom Rev3. Pin2DMD is set to Gottlieb v1

Quoted from PapaKilo:

Also curious about this.

Check this Post from Scotty:

Quoted from ScottyC:

Well I'm at a point where I'm not able to make much more progress without a real pin to test with. Having some issues with the way color masking is getting applied on real-pin2dmd vs virtual dmd.... So releasing this to the masses . (Lucxor might have some new castle destory updates as well he's working on, but these are not in the below shared project.)
Ripple has been a huge help in dealing with the back and forth of try this try that.. lol
Some things which were reverted because we could not get them working correctly
-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n11XZGoT_XKO8KUSRdLfO6pqttLGpm3?usp=sharing

I am Still working on new stuff.
The new Castles 1 and the new gifs i postet are not integrated jet.
And Castle scenes seems not to work on all machines.

Pin2dmd editor is not easy to understand.
You can start wit the instruction here:
https://pin2dmd.com/editor/

The video here is an old instruction but gives some clues. Its a bit long but helps to understand:

Best is to load scottys work and check how stuff is made.
The editor is hard to work and start.
It does vorgive nothing.
And always save twice and make backups.

#144 1 year ago
Invincible.gifInvincible.gif
#145 1 year ago

Someone with a G-rom 3 can tell me if i had just a bug or if the "shield" is not raised betwen castle 5-6 when you advance SUPER ?

Adittional cool thing i can make is the Invincible animation.
There abaout 3 different starts from the animation so it is possible to make 3 diffrent colored animation for Invincible on G-Rom3

#146 1 year ago
Invincible 2.gifInvincible 2.gif
#148 1 year ago
Quoted from ripple:

I checked the shield from all the castles and is did raise every time. I do know it will not raise if the shield switch is not detected as closed, this happened to me every once in while until I cleaned and adjusted the switch.

I will check that. thanks for Testing.
Im so much in testing that i didn't think of that it actually can be some switch and does not belong to the sw.

Would be like it more if the shield is not raised in castle mode. Would be easyier to not deactivate the mode ^^.

#149 1 year ago

This took me longer than i wanted.

have some more ideas after the Invincible scenes.

Invincible 3.gifInvincible 3.gif

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#150 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Lucxor:

[quoted image]

Here are the pictures i have taken as orientation to make the scenes.

Screenshot_20230217_002432_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20230217_002432_Firefox.jpg
#152 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Amazing job Lucxor! Thanks for taking the time to give SMB some love.

Thank you.

Yes i Love to see these scenes on my machine. Every part wich is colored is nice. I have big ideas hope i don't get out of desire. It is a very time consuming and i don't know if i can implement everything.

#153 1 year ago

So here are the files with the new Scenes Implementet i have done so far.
have testet the scenes seperatly.
I havent't test the full Project jet.
Its the first try to implement them complete.
This is with scottys work and my Scenes.
Only for the Real Pin for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa7wr1p1f6usgd8/AACxonMWgXeKI58XdF_js_Eya?dl=0

Pin2dmd set to Gottlieb V1 and with
Game Rom V3

#154 1 year ago

Updated the files as some coloring was cutting out my scenes.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from ripple:

Lucxor Are the test files for PIN2DMD V1 or V3 ?

This is for Pin2dmd set to Gottlieb V1,
And the game Rom V3.

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

I’ve tested the files on my real Pin (Rom V3 and Pin2DMD firmware 4.46 set to Gottlieb V1. To give some feedback: the new scenes work (and look fantastic) but they are running in an extremely low frame rate.. the castles and the new scenes also so run very long because of the low frame rate.. also some wrong colours occure, but that was already in the original newer files of Scotty.

They Look god on my machine see here :
Castles

Invincible

Raise shield

I would also try out to update your pin2dmd and test again.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

now running Pin2DMD on firmware v4.49 and all the animations run smooth - really great work!
do you also still have some minor colour problems? For example the letters when choosing a round are not in one color but habe some kind of pattern? and after quick shot the colours of the whole display are false, until another switch is hit..

Yes this problem still exist. I think there already known on Scottys work. I will not work on fixing that as i don't understand the Pin2dmd Editor as good as Scotty. i firstly only replace all the scenes i know how and want to.

#162 1 year ago
Ligth Kicksave.gifLigth Kicksave.gif
1 week later
#166 1 year ago

Some progress im working on.
This is really difficult as ther are 1000 of diffrent Possibilities this alone took over 250 Frames to color.
Hope i find a way to fully implement.
Would be cool.

#170 1 year ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Keep up the great work - it's looking incredible!

The coloring is not that hard.
It tooks a lot of time to color 250 frames and set the hasches wich triger them as you need to do it for every frame.
But the most difficult part is to get it work on the pin with all the other trackings and not to mix up some stuff.

I try to get this work but there is so much wich can make problem so i dont know if i am able to.

There is about 6 diffrent positions wich need all the 250 frames to be collored and tracked. I will try to see how it looks for only one Player and if i move on with this or only color the stuff that is doable.

#171 1 year ago
Turtle.gifTurtle.gifScreenshot 2023-03-01 183029.pngScreenshot 2023-03-01 183029.pngTurtle.gifTurtle.gifScreenshot 2023-03-01 183106.pngScreenshot 2023-03-01 183106.png
#173 1 year ago

Updated Files. NOT Tested jet.
All done Scences so far are importet.

I had a disscussion about the background wit the V-Pin guys. it is not Possible to replace the background as the editor is now.
it went a lot of work in trying but sadly i am not able to.
thats why i stopped there and moved on with the Advance shell scenes.

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Did a quick game and the advance shell animations look great! Thank you so much for tackling this project.
Is there anyway I could donate for all the work you're doing?

Thank you for testing and appreciating the work.
If you would like to donate something, you can send me a PM.
But I am also just happy about the appreciation

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

$20 sent. Thanks for your time and effort in updating SMB!

Thank you very much.
I relly appreciate that.

#179 1 year ago
Turtle 2.gifTurtle 2.gifScreenshot 2023-03-03 225458.pngScreenshot 2023-03-03 225458.pngTurtle 3.gifTurtle 3.gifScreenshot 2023-03-05 113837.pngScreenshot 2023-03-05 113837.png
#182 1 year ago

Fire - Shoot me a PM with your paypal - I'll send a donation. Also assuming you're the person I have to thank for all the 3D print models for Gottlieb Sys1 connectors out on Thingiverse?

Yes the connectors are done from me.
Also there are 3d files for the pin out there like from Setzkor. He did also very cool stuff an others. You can check out this Topic i created a time ago :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-bros-mods

Quoted from Sky64:

Shoot me a PM Luxor with your Paypal or whatever you use, would love to make a donation for your continued support to this community and I want to show my appreciation!

Thanks for the huge complimemts.
This wouldn't be possible witout the pin2dmd editor and 64 colors.
Like i said, im just happy about the appreciation.

But for all wich want to donate you can do it here: paypal.me/LucBolz

#183 1 year ago

Some Idea i have for selection of the modes.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

What you've been building looks to be the superior colorization.

Lets wait and see what they come up with. intrested what they did with the colorisation.

here some more of my colorisation for the Mode selection.

pasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

No need to wait and see! What you have on this thread is next level. ColorDMD is great but we can only color what comes up. Black will always be black. I was able to sneak some extra images by using some of the full single color screens but custom animations? Can’t be done unfortunately with ColorDMD. Again amazing work!

Thanks.
I can't wait to see the colored Videomode or end scene after castle 7.
I hope we get some Videos of it.
Would love to have that.

#192 1 year ago

It looks pretty good. Of course like phillymadison said there are no Custom amimation. But over all it looks very clean.
My project is still in Progress and for someone who wants a finish coloring in the original style this is a great time.
No need to wait until i and scotty were able to finish this project here.

I love the colored Video mode and end scene. And every update for the smb pin is a winn for the comunity.

I'm also thinking about to make a turtorial to give the people the chance to do there own animation. For these i would make a pin2dmd project for the comunity.
There would be some spreadsheets implemented and a prepaired scene wich can be colored. Also i had to make a turtorial for people to understand how they can do there own animation.

I'm just not sure if there People out there intrested in it. What do you think? Would someone here take the effort to see his own animation/idea in the pin if i do the above mentoinet effort?

It is alot of work to make understandable turtorials. But I would love to see the ideas from other people.

#193 1 year ago

Iv done a Project with an Example of my latest Animation.
i will have to do an instruction but you can already check how i work and try it for your self.
I Started a new Topic Here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-smb-create-your-own-animation#post-7458339

#194 1 year ago

https://www.dropbox.com/home/SMB%20dmd/SMB%20RealPin

Updatet the file wit the last 3 Scenes if done for the advance shell.
Also changed some Marios in Luigis.

also tried to fix some colors in the roulett. sadly i made it worse. sry
there are no green lines anymore but sometimes the roulett seems to be stuck or not moving.
but this is something to fix in a later version.
Turtle 4 GIF.gifTurtle 4 GIF.gif

Turtle 4 (resized).pngTurtle 4 (resized).png
#195 1 year ago
Screenshot 2023-03-12 123703.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 123703.pngTurtle 5 GIF.gifTurtle 5 GIF.gif
#196 1 year ago

So Maybe the last Update for a while now.
Files Here:

All Advanced Shells Importet and new the select Bumper or Ghost House.

Could someone test if this scene Work an let me know
I move soon so my Mario ist packed and im not able to test.

Bumper or Ghost.gifBumper or Ghost.gif
#197 1 year ago

Next scene replacement i will do.

Ghost.gifGhost.gifScreenshot 2023-03-12 225456.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 225456.png
#199 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

So has anyone tried these files with an earlier (non Rev 3) ROM? Or are they known to be specific to that version only? I definitely need to update my DMD firmware, but wasn't sure if both are needed.

I recomennd you to have this setup:

Pin2dmd with sw 4.49

Set to Gottlieb V1

G-Rom V3

Else you could have errors from the colorisation i have done.

Added 12 months ago:

Set the Language on the pin to English.

#201 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

The Advance Shell animations look amazing but there is no color in any of the mode selection screens nor have I seen your new animation/image of Mega Bumper or "Ghost House". I never got Mega Bumpers to be the left selection and "Ghost House" to be the right so maybe its dependent on that? I did get Luigi's Cave to be the left and Mega Bumpers to be the right but it was just the standard white dots. Also by "Ghost House" I assume you mean Luigi's cave mode?
Edit: I dont remember seeing either animation you posted in post 194 or 195 or any Luigi animations. Maybe I just wasnt paying close enough attention since I was more concerned about the new mode select images but Im pretty sure they were not in this newest update you dropped.

Thanks for testing and the feedback.
Sadly i can't test it by my self rigth now.

When did you downloaded the Files?
Maybe redownload it to just make sure you have the newest.
It should have all the advanced shell scenes, but its hard to know if i have triggered them rigth without testing by my self ^^ could also be that the triggers are very rare.
Edit:
I think you have the latest as i have to delet the coloring from the selections of scotty to make the replacment of the one selection.

And yes i called the luigi cave to ghost house. Im not finally sure about it but i will let it like it is for now.
It only gets replaced when the megabumpers are in top side to left and Luigi cave count is on the bottom right.

Maybe i need to color some more mode selection as it seems to be pretty random. To not test to long to see a replaced selection.
I will check if i have some other mode selection dump as i can't to fresh dumps for this rigth know.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from ish08kazuya:

Glad to see this getting picked up again and amazing work. How does one get a rev 3 rom? Id love to update mine and test on my machine for u guys.

Try to send Astill a pm.
maybe he can help.

#206 1 year ago

Need your Help.

wich Version do you prefer?
V1:
V1.gifV1.gif
V2:
V2.gifV2.gif

#208 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

I think I like the top better. They both look great though.

I did a third Version according the first i think this is it V3:
V3.gifV3.gif

#210 1 year ago

Select Bomb or Exclamation:

Bomb o Exclamation.gifBomb o Exclamation.gif
#211 1 year ago

So i Tried to upload the new Updates:
Ghoste while cave count.
i have some double triggers on the Shells so i have to get some more dumps to cleand that. thats why not all were shown.
Implementet selection Bomb or Exclamation.

i Still can't test so no guarantee it will work. but i would be happy for testers and feedback.

New Version 1.05 Untested!

Settings needed:
Pin2dmd with sw 4.49 or higher
Set to Gottlieb V1
G-Rom V3
Pin set to English

Updates:

Gohsts Mode Implementet
Selection Bomb or Exclamation

Errors known/ heard:

Not all Shell scenes are triggered have to fix that in the future

Roulett not working properly

end Mario color Problems

#212 1 year ago

Don't worry if you don't see my selection colorisation.
I dont know how much posibillities there are but it could be arround 30.

Because 6 modes
2 selections
2 sides left or right / top or bottom

Can also be less if they only used a specific amount of combinations.

I only colored 2 so far.

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Edit: I finally saw the Bomb/Exclamation mode select animation and its looks amazing! I know there are quite a few options with different mode selections but being able to have animations for each mode selection screen would be incredible. While in Luigis Cave the ghost animations looks great but the numbers get sort of garbled and illegible.
I know its been discussed here before but it wasnt on your list of known errors; After you trigger a quick shot and receive the reward the screen will stay on the yellow/orange and red/white coloration until something else it triggered to change the dmd. Then it will return to the correct colorization.
There are other smaller color issues with scoring and numbers being displayed with odd color pixels but roulette and quick shot are probably the biggest offenders. The bomb mode also has some strange color issues and screen lag while the fuse is lite.
Once again great work and thanks for taking on this project!

Great to hear that the selection works.
still was not able to but up my Mario again.

Thanks for the report:

I will check for the numbers on the ghost could be a replacment error i try to fix.

For the color error this most appears when a colored scene ends in a non colorod scene. so the color of the scene stays untli the next trigger.
this will be fixed the more stuff is triggered.
I can try to make a replacment for the Quick shot to fix thist.

when do you have seen scoringnumbers displayed? is it always in the same display? just curios.

Bomb mode is a knowing issue on my side, but i actully dont work on it. ( have started but move on with the Select modes First )

I will take that all to my list.

Here some small update on the Mode Selection

Select Yoshi.gifSelect Yoshi.gif

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:While in Luigis Cave the ghost animations looks great but the numbers get sort of garbled and illegible.

should be fixed now:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/rd77qk911bk35yr2yf183/h?dl=0&rlkey=74jbs7y118rfihmbnkh2iuxb0

#223 1 year ago
Select Yoshi or 3Million.gifSelect Yoshi or 3Million.gif
#225 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Yes that fixed it. Sorry I thought I had posted this a few days ago.

Thanks

I was able to unpack the mario and try by my self. It is stuck after the mode is finish but this will be fixed with an other colorisation, i have to do later.

Maybe some of you waiting on updates
I do a lot of work on the colorisation lately but not much you would see.
I was able to creat some more selection scenes. I test them and have to fix some errors, change the length,make small changes on the animation and work with triggering.
I also took new dumps for the selection scenes. This takes a lot of time.

As soon i have something useable l will post it here. I can tell from what i have tested it looks so great can't wait to give you the options to see it your self.

Wish you a good rest of the week.
Best regrads

#226 12 months ago
Select Yoshi or Castle.gifSelect Yoshi or Castle.gifSelection Bomb or Castle.gifSelection Bomb or Castle.gifSelection Bumper or Exclamation.gifSelection Bumper or Exclamation.gifSelection Ghost or Bumpers.gifSelection Ghost or Bumpers.gif
#227 12 months ago

Have used the day to Rework the Selections scene to the maximum lengt and changed the animation.
now i just have to set them in place and creat all Selections. over 30..

Screenshot_20230402_232418_Video Editor.jpgScreenshot_20230402_232418_Video Editor.jpg

Select Castle or 3Million.gifSelect Castle or 3Million.gif

Selection Exclamation left right.gifSelection Exclamation left right.gif

#229 12 months ago

you can use this test-files to see the anaimation on the pin. this is only a test to see the scenes no other colorisation.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/b6fmu0k1v4cj14adwv5l7/h?dl=0&rlkey=fijqewylfybjgs1jd7b11p2br

So here are all scenes i have so far:

Select Bomb Or Yoshi.gifSelect Bomb Or Yoshi.gifSelect Bumper or Ghost.gifSelect Bumper or Ghost.gifSelect Bomb Or Yoshi.gifSelect Bomb Or Yoshi.gifSelect Bomb or Castle.gifSelect Bomb or Castle.gifSelect Bomb Or Yoshi.gifSelect Bomb Or Yoshi.gifSelect Bomb or Exclamation.gifSelect Bomb or Exclamation.gifSelect Exclamation or Bumper.gifSelect Exclamation or Bumper.gifSelect Exclamation or Castle.gifSelect Exclamation or Castle.gifSelect Exclamation or Ghost.gifSelect Exclamation or Ghost.gifSelect Ghost or Bumpers.gifSelect Ghost or Bumpers.gifSelect Ghost or Yoshi.gifSelect Ghost or Yoshi.gifSelect Ghost or 3Million.gifSelect Ghost or 3Million.gifSelect Castle or 3Million.gifSelect Castle or 3Million.gifSelect Castle or Ghost.gifSelect Castle or Ghost.gifSelect Yoshi or 3Million.gifSelect Yoshi or 3Million.gifSelect Yoshi or Castle.gifSelect Yoshi or Castle.gif

#231 12 months ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Everything is in grayscale with the new update for me. No animations. 4.49 and Gottlieb v1. Everything has been working great up until this newest update.

The old link is still active you can turn back. I will check the file in the evening.
Should only be a test file. So not much more than the animation. But i will check and let you know.

Edit:

Testes the test File for only the selection.
seems to work. i Only have like half of the selection colored so there are a lot left.
and like i worte this fil does not contain other colorisations.

#232 11 months ago

Update:

All 36 selection scenes are now colorized and implementet in the real Project.

The scenes does not stop until they finish because the next scenes are not all colorized and therfore dont stop the selection animation.
this will be fixed after all modes will be colorized.

Here is the Updatet file.
i will not be able to test it today but it should work like i wrote above.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ll4jzrahi2gbk1alit4zf/h?dl=0&rlkey=zrlm3vmaeo10mq5o7lzdf9cih

The Gif is to only catch your attention
dollar.gifdollar.gif

#233 11 months ago
#236 11 months ago

Update V1.07

Bumpers-round Replaced and 1Million colorized.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/3ig48dy0dgdg70kfsd853/h?dl=0&rlkey=q4vmy69s8tvez2ve16762mz3o

Mega Bumpers Round.gifMega Bumpers Round.gifpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image 1 (resized).pngpasted_image 1 (resized).png
#239 11 months ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

1.07 Looks great! Excellent work!

Thank you very much. Take a lot of time to do these.

You also will love the next animation im working on

#241 11 months ago

Looking great! I can't wait to to try the new version. How can I send a donation?
One thing here, I think the text here should be "shoot" instead of "shot".

Your rigth. Thats not a big deal to change

Mybe you can help me with this.
Is it called :
Jump in the pipe
Or
Jump in to the pipe
?

Thank you for the support.
If you want to donate you can do it over paypal.
paypal.me/LucBolz

#242 11 months ago

New Update will come tomorrow about the same time:

Mode Light the fuse colorized

Run for Cover.gifRun for Cover.gifRun for Cover explosion.gifRun for Cover explosion.gifRun for Cover Treasure.gifRun for Cover Treasure.gif
#246 11 months ago

New Update V1.08

Bomb Mode Implemented

Bumpermode changed to Shoot the Bumpers.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/9x5974d9ov6iw116cylvl/h?dl=0&rlkey=o0242woxwoswbyawebh64452z

Run for cover Beginning.gifRun for cover Beginning.gifRun for Cover.gifRun for Cover.gifRun for Cover explosion.gifRun for Cover explosion.gifRun for Cover Treasure.gifRun for Cover Treasure.gifShoot the Bumpers.gifShoot the Bumpers.gif
#247 11 months ago

Very silent here

#248 11 months ago

Next update will follow soon.
Was able to do some things i did't think they would work!
A big thanks for this goes to NetzZwerg from Vpin forum. He was a huge help.

Donaters did get a pre release for testing. Thank you
Fun fact: I bougth a new mouse for my computer wich now helps a lot while coloring. Huge thanks for that

#251 11 months ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Some of us are still working on getting the V3 ROM to check out all the fun
Though I did get the castles, and most of the question mark working on the V1 ROM...just too many new keyframes to get for the slot and the other stuff, and you work too fast to try and continue

It was not that hard for me to get the V3.
And i am oversea. Has get it from the US in abut 2 weeks.

To redo the work on V1 would be such a huge project. Would be needet to shorten or longer diffrent scenes. Set all hasches and Keyframes new. In the next update it will be over 251 new keyframes to trigger! Iwould buy a loaded chip for arround 20 bucks. It is harder to install the pin2dmd on the machine.

I totaly understand that it would be nice to have cover all versions. But this is not done easy or fast.
I sitting betwen 3 to 4 hours on that project every day.

Not to mention as next someon want to do all Languages

#254 11 months ago

DUDE - very cool! I'm not going to spoil the surprise for 1.09, but I just installed it and that's super rad

Thanks.
Need to fix some stuff and then i can make the offical release.
For all.

#255 11 months ago

Update V 1.10
So finally fixed some stuff that it works

Has to shorten the castel scenes again.
New Yoshi Mode
Background Player one (not shown check it out )
30 Million colored
1 Million Colored
Ghost award Colored

Here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/hytljqst0eop1rslbyzk2/h?dl=0&rlkey=r4ow7m44rkm0w66s5sezs4cgu

Yoshi.gifYoshi.gifGhost Award.gifGhost Award.gif1000000 Million.gif1000000 Million.gif30000000 Million.gif30000000 Million.gif
#258 11 months ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Looks awesome!

Thank you.

#259 11 months ago

Has someone an idea how i should color this?

1 month later
#263 10 months ago

Lucxor I was just in the game room playing again with your colorization; it looks so good! Especially the modes!
I was wondering if we could get a version without the colorization of the slots. At least until there's a working version with them at full speed. They're just too choppy in their current state.
Alternatively, are you planning on sharing the source project files? There are a few other minor tweaks and customizations I'd like to make for my own machine.
Thanks!

Hello there

Deleting the current colorisation of the roulett is pretty simple i can do that.
I will share the project when im think im finish with it. but there is still a lot to do. If diffrent people work on diferent files we will have a lot of diffrent colorisation on diffrent stages, wich i want to prevent. And its a lot of work to do a clean implementation.
When there is a finished file then every one can use it to make ther own stuff on it but there is a finished file.

#266 10 months ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I just (finally) got my last pin2dmd built, activated, and installed into my SMB.
Lucxor - I was trying out all the modes tonight; The work you’ve done on this so far has been amazing.

Thank you for the donation. i really appreciate it.

Lucxor I was just in the game room playing again with your colorization; it looks so good! Especially the modes!
I was wondering if we could get a version without the colorization of the slots. At least until there's a working version with them at full speed. They're just too choppy in their current state.
Alternatively, are you planning on sharing the source project files? There are a few other minor tweaks and customizations I'd like to make for my own machine.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't remove the roulette like this because it leads to further problems.
Currently you have to live with it until I have the time to colorize the whole thing.

However, I still have all players colored here and thus V1.11 is ready for download:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/wh4i3puxyvc2ba5hdyhns/h?dl=0&rlkey=57v0w7358bqr8wk1awn2977qj

pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).png
4 months later
#268 5 months ago

Hey Lucxor - Anything new on this? I'm loading up to take my SMB to a local expo and would be happy to give it the stress test if there's anything new.
Thanks as always.

Hello there sorry for the late reply.
Sadly not. Have a lot going on in my life and had/have no time to work further on this at the moment.
Hope this will change in future but nothig new jet.

#270 5 months ago

Hey - no worries at all! I rolled with 1.11 and won best in show! Thank you again for all your hard work my friend!

Thats amazing. Congrats on winning best in show.

Hope everything calms down for you a bit (or at least that the stuff keeping you busy is fun and enjoyable)!

Thanks for the kind words.

5 months later
#271 25 days ago

Hello

I had a little time and was able to work on the slot machine.
It's not finished yet, but it's much better than before.
here is the link for the real pin:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/xni9wdui5i85nz5lvu0xk/h?rlkey=hvwj62423kwpz29o3edcfbuwz&dl=0

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucxor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros?tu=lucxor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.