(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Ghost Award.gif
Yoshi.gif
30000000 Million.gif
1000000 Million.gif
Shoot the Bumpers.gif
Run for cover Beginning.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ScottyC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've been working on this for a while and finally have it to a point where I'll release it to the wild. Props to Malenko for getting me kick started on this project with a killer Castle Destroy redraw,Gottlieb/Premier logo, and some general knowledge. I then proceeded to redrew several other scenes to kind of modernize it a bit more . Currently there is a limitation with Gottlieb V1 and coloring dynamic scenes (scenes which include changing content like score, video mode, and countdowns). Those scenes just get a simple palette change for now. There are still some key frames missing (mainly ? block scene trigger points) which I plan to add down the road, but for the most part it's complete.

Technical info:
Pin2DMD from Rappelbox
-Firmware 2.41
-Color Prism
-Gottlieb V1
-Enhancer Enabled

PIN2DMD Editor version used: 2.1.0.0 build 45

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05a7pvtvrdueznn/AAC3iG1NvdeQFcXTg8vMbkXwa?dl=0

Hoping to shoot some video footage tonight to share as well. Enjoy!

EndGame.gifEndGame.gif
By_ScottyC.gifBy_ScottyC.gif

#2 6 years ago

Castle Destroy Scene by Malenko (click on images)

CastleDestroy.gifCastleDestroy.gif
CastleDestroyOrig.gifCastleDestroyOrig.gif

#3 6 years ago

Other misc redraws: (click on images)

Mario_Turtle.gifMario_Turtle.gif
Mario_Turtle_Orig.gifMario_Turtle_Orig.gif
QB_EB.gifQB_EB.gif
QB_EB_Orig.gifQB_EB_Orig.gif
Helpful_Hints.gifHelpful_Hints.gif

#4 6 years ago

Well I thought I had the white balance set pretty good(looked good on the phone), but turns out it really doesn't look all that great on the computer, lol. Oh well...here's some game play till I can re-shoot.

Attract mode:

1P: (Showing different modes)

4P: (Showing off different colors for each player)

#10 6 years ago

Thanx everyone!

gtxjoe let me know how it turns out

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

arent some of the LEDs bleeding?

There is a little bit of bleed but doesn't bother me a bit. More info here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2385-color-bleeding-of-chinese-rgb-panels/

Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Sorry, I’m out of the loop. Which colorized DMD hardware does this work with? How difficult is the software install?
Incredible work!

This works on pin2dmd hardware. Several people to get on from rappelbox and pinballsp. Can also do a DIY kit if you really want to . More info here http://pin2dmd.com/hardware/

1 year later
#23 5 years ago

Glad you are likin it.

@lucky1 / @steve45 do you know if that limitation is still there for Gottlieb?

5 months later
#37 4 years ago

bumgahdna there are times when the text/animations are scrolling across the screen where you will see some split in the colors (some times its more noticeable than others). Agree with latenite04 in that your RGB color sequence at the top of you screen during startup isn't right. Also is your game set to freeplay? I didn't set key frames for anything other than the freeplay mode for attract mode.

1 year later
#39 3 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it!.. I haven't updated the code since release... perhaps you may be running a slightly different rom version than was it was developed on (not sure if all Gottlieb SMBs had same version or not) which may account for missing key frames or FW on the pin2dmd is different and may interact differently.. lots of things can vary and it's hard to account for all these variables IMO.

4 months later
#42 3 years ago

Nice! Looking fwd to the updates. What ROM version do you have? I know there are a lot of issues on the Virtual Pinball side of the house so was planning on addressing those sometime this coming year as well.

FYI for those of you running freezy 1.8 this SMB colorization and Malenko's SFII will be black and white for the most part. If you are running popper as your FE, I've put together a work around if you're interested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vS-zIpuHZlt2Eq_fd49OO5P2YCVTo0Bo/view?usp=sharing

2 weeks later
#72 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Could you please also create the vpin export ?

+1 Would love to test these out, but alas I no longer have a real pin.

#74 3 years ago

Seems to work okay. Awesome new castle scenes trigger, but do not run till the end.. Looks like there were some pallette changes, that affected a lot of stuff (attract, player 1 and 2, video mode..etc). Keep up the good work and get it fully running on a real pin and ill tackle the vpin side

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from ebor:

Hi,
What a job!
I tested on my pin2dmd (vpin) and I only have animations in cyan and white, no shimmering colors. Same in attract mode or while playing.
Is it a palette problem? Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

Be sure you are using freezy 1.7.x... 1.8 has some issues.

1 month later
#93 3 years ago

In all honesty I do not know what version . Only way to tell is going by the checksum info and I do not have a video/pic of that in my archive from when I owned this machine

1 year later
#116 1 year ago

Well it's been a while, but I worked on an update over my holiday break. I would consider this a vpin release due to it being specific for the REV3 rom (smb3)

Lots of updates but again its mostly exclusive to the smb3 rom now
Some note worthy ones
-Integrated Castle Destroy Scenes by Lucxor (I did have to trim them down a bit to play until the end, as timing on the rom was different)
-Touched up a lot of the existing redraws and added others.
-The Bonus Chance (slot machine)

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/12673-super-mario-bros/

#118 1 year ago

I'm not sure of the process with this new editor/format, but if you're willing to give it a go lets figure it out
Will be sending ya a PM

3 weeks later
#125 1 year ago

Well I'm at a point where I'm not able to make much more progress without a real pin to test with. Having some issues with the way color masking is getting applied on real-pin2dmd vs virtual dmd.... So releasing this to the masses . (Lucxor might have some new castle destory updates as well he's working on, but these are not in the below shared project.)

Ripple has been a huge help in dealing with the back and forth of try this try that.. lol

Some things which were reverted because we could not get them working correctly
-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n11XZGoT_XKO8KUSRdLfO6pqttLGpm3?usp=sharing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ScottyC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros?tu=ScottyC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.