(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Ghost Award.gif
Yoshi.gif
30000000 Million.gif
1000000 Million.gif
Shoot the Bumpers.gif
Run for cover Beginning.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 6 years ago

I've been working on this for a while and finally have it to a point where I'll release it to the wild. Props to Malenko for getting me kick started on this project with a killer Castle Destroy redraw,Gottlieb/Premier logo, and some general knowledge. I then proceeded to redrew several other scenes to kind of modernize it a bit more . Currently there is a limitation with Gottlieb V1 and coloring dynamic scenes (scenes which include changing content like score, video mode, and countdowns). Those scenes just get a simple palette change for now. There are still some key frames missing (mainly ? block scene trigger points) which I plan to add down the road, but for the most part it's complete.

Technical info:
Pin2DMD from Rappelbox
-Firmware 2.41
-Color Prism
-Gottlieb V1
-Enhancer Enabled

PIN2DMD Editor version used: 2.1.0.0 build 45

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05a7pvtvrdueznn/AAC3iG1NvdeQFcXTg8vMbkXwa?dl=0

Hoping to shoot some video footage tonight to share as well. Enjoy!

EndGame.gifEndGame.gif
By_ScottyC.gifBy_ScottyC.gif

#2 6 years ago

Castle Destroy Scene by Malenko (click on images)

CastleDestroy.gifCastleDestroy.gif
CastleDestroyOrig.gifCastleDestroyOrig.gif

#3 6 years ago

Other misc redraws: (click on images)

Mario_Turtle.gifMario_Turtle.gif
Mario_Turtle_Orig.gifMario_Turtle_Orig.gif
QB_EB.gifQB_EB.gif
QB_EB_Orig.gifQB_EB_Orig.gif
Helpful_Hints.gifHelpful_Hints.gif

#4 6 years ago

Well I thought I had the white balance set pretty good(looked good on the phone), but turns out it really doesn't look all that great on the computer, lol. Oh well...here's some game play till I can re-shoot.

Attract mode:

1P: (Showing different modes)

4P: (Showing off different colors for each player)

#5 6 years ago

This looks awesome!! You are making me want to pick up a new DMD to load this on my machine.

Good work!

#6 6 years ago

Awesome job ScottyC !!

#7 6 years ago

Wonderful! Looks great!

#8 6 years ago

Absolutely LOVE IT, Congrats on finishing this!

#9 6 years ago

Nice work! I try this out over the long weekend. Thanks for sharing

#10 6 years ago

Thanx everyone!

gtxjoe let me know how it turns out

#12 6 years ago

arent some of the LEDs bleeding?

#13 6 years ago

Sorry, I’m out of the loop. Which colorized DMD hardware does this work with? How difficult is the software install?

Incredible work!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

arent some of the LEDs bleeding?

There is a little bit of bleed but doesn't bother me a bit. More info here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2385-color-bleeding-of-chinese-rgb-panels/

Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Sorry, I’m out of the loop. Which colorized DMD hardware does this work with? How difficult is the software install?
Incredible work!

This works on pin2dmd hardware. Several people to get on from rappelbox and pinballsp. Can also do a DIY kit if you really want to . More info here http://pin2dmd.com/hardware/

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

There is a little bit of bleed but doesn't bother me a bit. More info here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2385-color-bleeding-of-chinese-rgb-panels/

This fix is for the older panels which had the bleeding problem. Latest generation panels don´t have that problem anymore.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Good to know. Thanx lucky1

It is a new generation panel when the panel power plug is at this position

IMG_9162 (resized).jpgIMG_9162 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

Btw. I had to fix the pinMame driver (dmddevice.dll) to enjoy your project with Visual Pinball. I ran into a bug because you used ColMask in your project which is not supported for very early Gottlieb machines. Now it is working perfectly and looking beautiful.

#19 6 years ago

Anyone out there taking money for assembling these? It looks like a fun project but I have too many atm. I really, really like the color work for Mario, so impressed.

1 month later
#20 6 years ago

Hello, during the cristmas days i reworked my mario and got an pin2dmd display from Rappelbox . I just wanted to say thank you for your great work, it looks gorgous!!!

1 week later
#21 6 years ago

Thanks you so much for your work. I can now restore my pinball with Rappelbox dmd! Thanks Man!

1 year later
#22 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. I've had a PIN2DMD setup sitting largely unused for a long time. Mario was a game I had originally been interested in using it in. I installed it the other day with your colorization and like it a lot.

Quoted from ScottyC:

Currently there is a limitation with Gottlieb V1 and coloring dynamic scenes (scenes which include changing content like score, video mode, and countdowns).

A change doesn't appear to have been made in the colorization, but was this limitation ever addressed in the PIN2DMD functionality?

#23 5 years ago

Glad you are likin it.

@lucky1 / @steve45 do you know if that limitation is still there for Gottlieb?

#24 5 years ago

I changed something in the code to address that but it was actually never tested by anyone afaik.

3 months later
#25 4 years ago

I’m looking to add this to my SMB, anyone know where I can get the hardware?

#26 4 years ago

Hi
One option is www.pin-display.ch but i think somebody in the US also sales them.

#27 4 years ago

@dpannell2 sells them

Added over 5 years ago:

dpannell not @dpannell2 fixed

1 month later
#28 4 years ago

Hi everyone! Looks like Rappelbox is disabled. Is there another source for a plug n play color dmd for mario? Cheers!

#29 4 years ago

dpannell had them too

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from bumgahdna:

Hi everyone! Looks like rappelbox is disabled. Is there another source for a plug n play color dmd for mario? Cheers!

You can still get his stuff from his Webshop.

#31 4 years ago

You can also get them here: www.pin-display.ch

Greets

#32 4 years ago

I got one of these and am having issues. Most of the color is correct, but some of the animations are flashing red and blue? It also looks like some if the animations drag and create a double vision effect...is this normal for a pin2dmd? I've never owned one.

20190719_173415 (resized).jpg20190719_173415 (resized).jpg
#33 4 years ago

When I unplug the ribbon cable I get this...no config is set. I tried to change to Gottlieb v1 and I saved config but it's like it's not taking?

20190719_185843 (resized).jpg20190719_185843 (resized).jpg
#34 4 years ago

Is the enhancer setting set to on? I believe it is supposed to be. Your rgb sequence at the top of the display is wrong, you need to set it to match the order of the image at the top of the pin2dmd webpage. https://pin2dmd.com/ Those are the two things I can think of to try of the top of my head.

#35 4 years ago

Mine definitely lists Gottlieb V1 at boot, I recall the setting save procedure was not straightforward and required using a different button. Also, what firmware are you running? The issues you describe are definitely not normal. You may have better luck with support in the general pin2DMD thread...

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from bumgahdna:

I got one of these and am having issues. Most of the color is correct, but some of the animations are flashing red and blue? It also looks like some if the animations drag and create a double vision effect...is this normal for a pin2dmd? I've never owned one.[quoted image]

It is a specific problem of these first generation Gottlieb DMD machines from 1992 which have to use Gottlieb V1. I can`t be avoided but significantly improved by using a appropriate palette in the colorization. Maybe @scottyc can jump in.

#37 4 years ago

bumgahdna there are times when the text/animations are scrolling across the screen where you will see some split in the colors (some times its more noticeable than others). Agree with latenite04 in that your RGB color sequence at the top of you screen during startup isn't right. Also is your game set to freeplay? I didn't set key frames for anything other than the freeplay mode for attract mode.

1 year later
#38 3 years ago

I just wanted to give a big Thankyou to ScottyC for all his hard work on this. I just put this into my super Mario pin, and I’m very happy with it. I noticed though that a few of my animations look slightly different than the videos posted above. For example, on mine yoshi has green feet instead of yellow shoes. And luigis cave animation has only white. Am I maybe using old code? I’m sure I downloaded from the link in the first post. Any help would be great, thanks!

8666EA69-FE40-4643-A660-BFCF00238BB3 (resized).jpeg8666EA69-FE40-4643-A660-BFCF00238BB3 (resized).jpegAF46A64A-9610-4A7F-A4CF-97F3261BE68F (resized).jpegAF46A64A-9610-4A7F-A4CF-97F3261BE68F (resized).jpeg
#39 3 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it!.. I haven't updated the code since release... perhaps you may be running a slightly different rom version than was it was developed on (not sure if all Gottlieb SMBs had same version or not) which may account for missing key frames or FW on the pin2dmd is different and may interact differently.. lots of things can vary and it's hard to account for all these variables IMO.

4 months later
#40 3 years ago

Hello

Just want to thank you Scotty for your hard work and that you also share all these files.
pretty amazing work.
Sadly or Lucky it seems that i have a diffrent rom and some parts doesn't work,
so i decided work on your filse.
Also for my first try an work with the editor i used ure files and make some changes.
just som little work around dont expect to much.
I will keep you updated.

Also workt a little on yoshi

Regards Luc

Castle.gifCastle.gif
Yoshi gif.gifYoshi gif.gif

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Hello
Just want to thank you Scotty for your hard work and that you also share all these files.
pretty amazing work.
Sadly or Lucky it seems that i have a diffrent rom and some parts doesn't work,
so i decided work on your filse.
Also for my first try an work with the editor i used ure files and make some changes.
just som little work around dont expect to much.
I will keep you updated.
Also workt a little on yoshi
Regards Luc
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'd be interested in any updates you make.

#42 3 years ago

Nice! Looking fwd to the updates. What ROM version do you have? I know there are a lot of issues on the Virtual Pinball side of the house so was planning on addressing those sometime this coming year as well.

FYI for those of you running freezy 1.8 this SMB colorization and Malenko's SFII will be black and white for the most part. If you are running popper as your FE, I've put together a work around if you're interested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vS-zIpuHZlt2Eq_fd49OO5P2YCVTo0Bo/view?usp=sharing

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Nice! Looking fwd to the updates. What ROM version do you have? I know there are a lot of issues on the Virtual Pinball side of the house so was planning on addressing those sometime this coming year as well.
FYI for those of you running freezy 1.8 this SMB colorization and Malenko's SFII will be black and white for the most part. If you are running popper as your FE, I've put together a work around if you're interested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vS-zIpuHZlt2Eq_fd49OO5P2YCVTo0Bo/view?usp=sharing

So I could not check today, but I will.
Also was thinking it could be because I have it on German but did not think of that befor. Of course this will bring some problems with it.

A replacement scene and all hashes and frames to work together can be difficult. So your work is a perfekt help to see how you have done all that.

I have some ideas but actually I did not know if and how everything is working.
Also That's why I said do not expect to much from me.I am just a newbie. Do not know the limits of the software jet, but I'm willing to try

Of my knowledge so far I think this idea is possible and I will work on all 7 castles, that can be destroyers. Want to make all the diffrent animation for each castle, like in the game.

#44 3 years ago

If anyone is willing to take on the role of colorization on the Mushroom World version, I would be a buyer of another Pin 2 DMD as I can't stand looking at the orange DMD on that pin now either. ScottyC did a fantastic job on the full sized one, so the bar is set pretty high!

Any takers?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

If anyone is willing to take on the role of colorization on the Mushroom World version, I would be a buyer of another Pin 2 DMD as I can't stand looking at the orange DMD on that pin now either. scottyc did a fantastic job on the full sized one, so the bar is set pretty high!
Any takers?

If I would had one I would absolute be the person. But I searched. Sadly here you don't get it. I saw that someone was willing to sell one but the price was 8000 and it was about a year ago.

So wish you luck. Hope someone is wiling to help you.
or maybe you can try by your self?

#46 3 years ago

Hello Everyone

I finished castle 2 today and got the movments of Mario.
Did change the castle so it looks more like the orginal game.
Sadly Castle 2 has only about 50 frames and castle one had 75.
so i had tho shorten the sequenz a little.
Hoppfuly you like it.

Regards Luc

Castle 2.gifCastle 2.gif
#47 3 years ago

I was playing my super Mario bros today and noticed that the video mode was all black. This along with a few other parts makes me think I’m not running the right roms that this was developed for. Could anyone who’s pin2dmd is working nicely, please tell me what roms you’re running? Or if anyone has had this happen I’d really like to hear what worked for you to fix it. Thanks!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I was playing my super Mario bros today and noticed that the video mode was all black. This along with a few other parts makes me think I’m not running the right roms that this was developed for. Could anyone who’s pin2dmd is working nicely, please tell me what roms you’re running? Or if anyone has had this happen I’d really like to hear what worked for you to fix it. Thanks!

Hello sixty

You can try to just reinstall the files to the card.
Mabe change de language on the system.
Or if you know, you just can delet the keframe for the video mode and take the new files to the SD card. So the video mode will be just white.

Best regards Luc

#49 3 years ago

so Finaly lot of work and lot of time needed but here it is Castle 3

Get mi inspiration from this video:

Castle 3.gifCastle 3.gif
#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

so Finaly lot of work and lot of time needed but here it is Castle 3
Get mi inspiration from this video:
[quoted image]

Great work so far!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros?hl=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.