(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Ghost Award.gif
Yoshi.gif
30000000 Million.gif
1000000 Million.gif
Shoot the Bumpers.gif
Run for cover Beginning.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 1 year ago

Amazing job Lucxor! Thanks for taking the time to give SMB some love.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Amazing job Lucxor! Thanks for taking the time to give SMB some love.

Thank you.

Yes i Love to see these scenes on my machine. Every part wich is colored is nice. I have big ideas hope i don't get out of desire. It is a very time consuming and i don't know if i can implement everything.

#153 1 year ago

So here are the files with the new Scenes Implementet i have done so far.
have testet the scenes seperatly.
I havent't test the full Project jet.
Its the first try to implement them complete.
This is with scottys work and my Scenes.
Only for the Real Pin for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa7wr1p1f6usgd8/AACxonMWgXeKI58XdF_js_Eya?dl=0

Pin2dmd set to Gottlieb V1 and with
Game Rom V3

#154 1 year ago

Updated the files as some coloring was cutting out my scenes.

#155 1 year ago

Lucxor Are the test files for PIN2DMD V1 or V3 ?

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from ripple:

Lucxor Are the test files for PIN2DMD V1 or V3 ?

This is for Pin2dmd set to Gottlieb V1,
And the game Rom V3.

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

This is for Pin2dmd set to Gottlieb V1,
And the game Rom V3.

I’ve tested the files on my real Pin (Rom V3 and Pin2DMD firmware 4.46 set to Gottlieb V1. To give some feedback: the new scenes work (and look fantastic) but they are running in an extremely low frame rate.. the castles and the new scenes also so run very long because of the low frame rate.. also some wrong colours occure, but that was already in the original newer files of Scotty.

#158 1 year ago

turbomensh . Maybe try updating to V4.48. I did see the animations run too long one time but now the animations work great. After you update make sure the setting did not change to Gottileb V1.

Added 14 months ago:

I should say the setting is still Gottlieb V1.

#159 1 year ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

I’ve tested the files on my real Pin (Rom V3 and Pin2DMD firmware 4.46 set to Gottlieb V1. To give some feedback: the new scenes work (and look fantastic) but they are running in an extremely low frame rate.. the castles and the new scenes also so run very long because of the low frame rate.. also some wrong colours occure, but that was already in the original newer files of Scotty.

They Look god on my machine see here :
Castles

Invincible

Raise shield

I would also try out to update your pin2dmd and test again.

#160 1 year ago

now running Pin2DMD on firmware v4.49 and all the animations run smooth - really great work!

do you also still have some minor colour problems? For example the letters when choosing a round are not in one color but habe some kind of pattern? and after quick shot the colours of the whole display are false, until another switch is hit..

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

now running Pin2DMD on firmware v4.49 and all the animations run smooth - really great work!
do you also still have some minor colour problems? For example the letters when choosing a round are not in one color but habe some kind of pattern? and after quick shot the colours of the whole display are false, until another switch is hit..

Yes this problem still exist. I think there already known on Scottys work. I will not work on fixing that as i don't understand the Pin2dmd Editor as good as Scotty. i firstly only replace all the scenes i know how and want to.

#162 1 year ago
Ligth Kicksave.gifLigth Kicksave.gif
#163 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Yes this problem still exist. I think there already known on Scottys work. I will not work on fixing that as i don't understand the Pin2dmd Editor as good as Scotty. i firstly only replace all the scenes i know how and want to.

I fully understand.. I'm actually trying to work into the Pin2DMD editor with help of the above linked video and playing around on Scottys original files.. but as you said - it's really not easy to understand - at least not for me

#164 1 year ago

So - just downloaded and gave your latest a try. I had I believe the originally downloaded and marked as 'barely colorized - skip'.

The new videos are really well done. They're awesome. Unfortunately, I think updating those original files with the editor like you mentioned is going to be the next move. Especially up against your awesome new renders, it's painful to look at. (I'm having the text mostly white, selections garbled, etc... I'm also running the newest firmware... also - is anyone else having a major issue with the slot machine?) Mine almost seems to very slowly snapshot through it, with the right picture reverting to really wrong turquoise coloring.

Anyone know what the checksum is for Game ROM v3? I know Gottlieb wasn't exactly forthcoming and the way the physical vs code was spilt hasn't exactly helped matters.

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from statictrance:

So - just downloaded and gave your latest a try. I had I believe the originally downloaded and marked as 'barely colorized - skip'.
The new videos are really well done. They're awesome. Unfortunately, I think updating those original files with the editor like you mentioned is going to be the next move. Especially up against your awesome new renders, it's painful to look at. (I'm having the text mostly white, selections garbled, etc... I'm also running the newest firmware... also - is anyone else having a major issue with the slot machine?) Mine almost seems to very slowly snapshot through it, with the right picture reverting to really wrong turquoise coloring.
Anyone know what the checksum is for Game ROM v3? I know Gottlieb wasn't exactly forthcoming and the way the physical vs code was spilt hasn't exactly helped matters.

Yeah I believe the slot machine and some of the coloring still has issues. The new animations are amazing though!

#166 1 year ago

Some progress im working on.
This is really difficult as ther are 1000 of diffrent Possibilities this alone took over 250 Frames to color.
Hope i find a way to fully implement.
Would be cool.

#167 1 year ago

Very cool!

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Some progress im working on.
This is really difficult as ther are 1000 of diffrent Possibilities this alone took over 250 Frames to color.
Hope i find a way to fully implement.
Would be cool.

IMAGINE how cool this would look my god, seems extremely difficult though. Looks so much better with all of this detail haha you're really good at editing this stuff!

#169 1 year ago

Keep up the great work - it's looking incredible!

#170 1 year ago

Keep up the great work - it's looking incredible!

The coloring is not that hard.
It tooks a lot of time to color 250 frames and set the hasches wich triger them as you need to do it for every frame.
But the most difficult part is to get it work on the pin with all the other trackings and not to mix up some stuff.

I try to get this work but there is so much wich can make problem so i dont know if i am able to.

There is about 6 diffrent positions wich need all the 250 frames to be collored and tracked. I will try to see how it looks for only one Player and if i move on with this or only color the stuff that is doable.

#171 1 year ago
Turtle.gifTurtle.gifScreenshot 2023-03-01 183029.pngScreenshot 2023-03-01 183029.pngTurtle.gifTurtle.gifScreenshot 2023-03-01 183106.pngScreenshot 2023-03-01 183106.png
#172 1 year ago

Super cool!!

#173 1 year ago

Updated Files. NOT Tested jet.
All done Scences so far are importet.

I had a disscussion about the background wit the V-Pin guys. it is not Possible to replace the background as the editor is now.
it went a lot of work in trying but sadly i am not able to.
thats why i stopped there and moved on with the Advance shell scenes.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Updated Files. NOT Tested jet.
All done Scences so far are importet.
I had a disscussion about the background wit the V-Pin guys. it is not Possible to replace the background as the editor is now.
it went a lot of work in trying but sadly i am not able to.
thats why i stopped there and moved on with the Advance shell scenes.

Did a quick game and the advance shell animations look great! Thank you so much for tackling this project.

Is there anyway I could donate for all the work you're doing?

#175 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Did a quick game and the advance shell animations look great! Thank you so much for tackling this project.
Is there anyway I could donate for all the work you're doing?

Thank you for testing and appreciating the work.
If you would like to donate something, you can send me a PM.
But I am also just happy about the appreciation

#176 1 year ago

$20 sent. Thanks for your time and effort in updating SMB!

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

$20 sent. Thanks for your time and effort in updating SMB!

Thank you very much.
I relly appreciate that.

#178 1 year ago

I couldn't believe what I see... Great work Luxcor! Thanks for energy and time to reactivate this project! I hope you could fix the probs with the background and the text colors.

#179 1 year ago
Turtle 2.gifTurtle 2.gifScreenshot 2023-03-03 225458.pngScreenshot 2023-03-03 225458.pngTurtle 3.gifTurtle 3.gifScreenshot 2023-03-05 113837.pngScreenshot 2023-03-05 113837.png
#180 1 year ago

Fire - Shoot me a PM with your paypal - I'll send a donation. Also assuming you're the person I have to thank for all the 3D print models for Gottlieb Sys1 connectors out on Thingiverse?

#181 1 year ago

Shoot me a PM Luxor with your Paypal or whatever you use, would love to make a donation for your continued support to this community and I want to show my appreciation!

#182 1 year ago

Fire - Shoot me a PM with your paypal - I'll send a donation. Also assuming you're the person I have to thank for all the 3D print models for Gottlieb Sys1 connectors out on Thingiverse?

Yes the connectors are done from me.
Also there are 3d files for the pin out there like from Setzkor. He did also very cool stuff an others. You can check out this Topic i created a time ago :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-bros-mods

Quoted from Sky64:

Shoot me a PM Luxor with your Paypal or whatever you use, would love to make a donation for your continued support to this community and I want to show my appreciation!

Thanks for the huge complimemts.
This wouldn't be possible witout the pin2dmd editor and 64 colors.
Like i said, im just happy about the appreciation.

But for all wich want to donate you can do it here: paypal.me/LucBolz

#183 1 year ago

Some Idea i have for selection of the modes.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#185 1 year ago

What you've been building looks to be the superior colorization.

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Lets wait and see what they come up with. intrested what they did with the colorisation.

here some more of my colorisation for the Mode selection.

pasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Lets wait and see what they come up with. intrested what they did with the colorisation.
here some more of my colorisation for the Mode selection.
[quoted image][quoted image]

No need to wait and see! What you have on this thread is next level. ColorDMD is great but we can only color what comes up. Black will always be black. I was able to sneak some extra images by using some of the full single color screens but custom animations? Can’t be done unfortunately with ColorDMD. Again amazing work!

#188 1 year ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

No need to wait and see! What you have on this thread is next level. ColorDMD is great but we can only color what comes up. Black will always be black. I was able to sneak some extra images by using some of the full single color screens but custom animations? Can’t be done unfortunately with ColorDMD. Again amazing work!

That's interesting to read that this limitation exists. I wonder if it's just a limitation of their editing tools. The ColorDMD patent contains text which seems to indicate that their technology supports putting a completely new image in place of the old in order to create entirely new themes:
"The display device may produce a custom color video frame by replacing a received monochrome video frame with custom frame data stored internal to the device. The custom frame need not bear any resemblance to the original frame. In other words, the graphic sequence of the original game may be replaced with a different graphical sequence. By way of example and not limitation, if the original graphical sequence displayed a sea monster creature waving its arms when 100 points is attained, then the new graphical sequence may be an alien creature waving its arms when 100 points is attained. In this manner, one or more themes may be programmed into the display device and the theme may be selected by the player or owner as desired."

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8773452

I could see them having copyright issues replacing what's on the screen with new Mario-derived graphics, but it seems like their tech would support it.

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Thanks.
I can't wait to see the colored Videomode or end scene after castle 7.
I hope we get some Videos of it.
Would love to have that.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I agree Lucxor’s work and progress looks amazing! I have ColorDmds in all my pins… but what Lucxors done with his SuperMario on the Pin2Dmd I want to go that route.

When the new code comes out on the 10th I’ll post some videos of the video mode and end of castle 7 for you guys to see.

#191 1 year ago

Saw the ColorDMD demo video today and I still think that what's going on here is way better.

#192 1 year ago

It looks pretty good. Of course like phillymadison said there are no Custom amimation. But over all it looks very clean.
My project is still in Progress and for someone who wants a finish coloring in the original style this is a great time.
No need to wait until i and scotty were able to finish this project here.

I love the colored Video mode and end scene. And every update for the smb pin is a winn for the comunity.

I'm also thinking about to make a turtorial to give the people the chance to do there own animation. For these i would make a pin2dmd project for the comunity.
There would be some spreadsheets implemented and a prepaired scene wich can be colored. Also i had to make a turtorial for people to understand how they can do there own animation.

I'm just not sure if there People out there intrested in it. What do you think? Would someone here take the effort to see his own animation/idea in the pin if i do the above mentoinet effort?

It is alot of work to make understandable turtorials. But I would love to see the ideas from other people.

#193 1 year ago

Iv done a Project with an Example of my latest Animation.
i will have to do an instruction but you can already check how i work and try it for your self.
I Started a new Topic Here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-smb-create-your-own-animation#post-7458339

#194 1 year ago

https://www.dropbox.com/home/SMB%20dmd/SMB%20RealPin

Updatet the file wit the last 3 Scenes if done for the advance shell.
Also changed some Marios in Luigis.

also tried to fix some colors in the roulett. sadly i made it worse. sry
there are no green lines anymore but sometimes the roulett seems to be stuck or not moving.
but this is something to fix in a later version.
Turtle 4 GIF.gifTurtle 4 GIF.gif

Turtle 4 (resized).pngTurtle 4 (resized).png
#195 1 year ago
Screenshot 2023-03-12 123703.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 123703.pngTurtle 5 GIF.gifTurtle 5 GIF.gif
#196 1 year ago

So Maybe the last Update for a while now.
Files Here:

All Advanced Shells Importet and new the select Bumper or Ghost House.

Could someone test if this scene Work an let me know
I move soon so my Mario ist packed and im not able to test.

Bumper or Ghost.gifBumper or Ghost.gif
#197 1 year ago

Next scene replacement i will do.

Ghost.gifGhost.gifScreenshot 2023-03-12 225456.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 225456.png
#198 1 year ago

So has anyone tried these files with an earlier (non Rev 3) ROM? Or are they known to be specific to that version only? I definitely need to update my DMD firmware, but wasn't sure if both are needed.

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

So has anyone tried these files with an earlier (non Rev 3) ROM? Or are they known to be specific to that version only? I definitely need to update my DMD firmware, but wasn't sure if both are needed.

I recomennd you to have this setup:

Pin2dmd with sw 4.49

Set to Gottlieb V1

G-Rom V3

Else you could have errors from the colorisation i have done.

Added 13 months ago:

Set the Language on the pin to English.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

So Maybe the last Update for a while now.
Files Here:
All Advanced Shells Importet and new the select Bumper or Ghost House.
Could someone test if this scene Work an let me know
I move soon so my Mario ist packed and im not able to test.
[quoted image]

The Advance Shell animations look amazing but there is no color in any of the mode selection screens nor have I seen your new animation/image of Mega Bumper or "Ghost House". I never got Mega Bumpers to be the left selection and "Ghost House" to be the right so maybe its dependent on that? I did get Luigi's Cave to be the left and Mega Bumpers to be the right but it was just the standard white dots. Also by "Ghost House" I assume you mean Luigi's cave mode?

Edit: I dont remember seeing either animation you posted in post 194 or 195 or any Luigi animations. Maybe I just wasnt paying close enough attention since I was more concerned about the new mode select images but Im pretty sure they were not in this newest update you dropped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.